Simulation Hockey League
League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension (/showthread.php?tid=89284)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - JumpierPegasus - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 07:06 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: What if we use the ?️ emoji to replace the bad letters?

O fuk wot emojis don't work

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - wumaduce - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 07:06 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote: What if we use the ?️ emoji to replace the bad letters?

A question mark is a sign of punctuation, not an emoji, you damn millennial.

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - grok - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 05:10 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
09-14-2018, 05:03 PMgrok Wrote:
09-14-2018, 04:55 PMto12143 Wrote:
09-14-2018, 04:37 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: I think there are talks about getting rid of Thunderdome. But I feel like its a necessity to call out people and stuff like that. No1 really called people racist slurs or homophobic slurs on a regular basis in there so in the end it doesn't even matter.

Or you know you could contact HO and inform them of things that are happening like that. Not everything has to be called out and it would make it a lot easier for HO if people just funneled evidence to them so they could make the necessary decisions

That doesn't really indict the Thunderdome's existence though, right? Even if HO makes the decision based on collection of evidence people will still want to talk about it. TD is a holding place so volatile discussions don't spill out into discussion, announcements, media, etc.

That's illogical:
- False cause fallacy (having a place where people can be toxic does not necessarily cause people to be polite elsewhere)
- Either or fallacy (the idea that "either we have somewhere for people to be toxic or they will be toxic on entire site" is not necessarily true)

Calling every argument a fallacy without actually answering what they mean is bad faith debate. There's a pretty obvious hole in the argument for removing TD because it assumes people won't continue to discuss volatile arguments on the forums. The two arguments I make that you're trying to dismiss as "fallacies" are just impacts to the bigger picture argument, that drama will exist with or without TD.

The important takeaway is that removing TD doesn't even necessarily have solvency because its probability is limited. If it's unlikely that removing TD will eliminate drama on the forums then you can't guarantee the impacts I outline won't happen.

I'll answer your two arguments in good faith:

"False Cause Fallacy" - this claim to fallacy asserts that causation is impossiblr, and that effects causality is impossible. It's a short-sighted viewpoint that refuses to extend impacts to their logical conclusions which stymies debate.

"Either or fallacy" - this claim to fallacy assumes the impact I isolated is the only impact that exists. I isolate one impact here because I think it's the largest possible impact to make debate simpler without losing the important conversations that are a prior question to the impact level.

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Waters - 09-14-2018

I'm ???

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Clint Eastwood - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 08:02 PMWaters Wrote:

I'm ???

Those ??? mean "beautiful" and there's no question marks about that statement.

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Wally - 09-14-2018

I'm ???

Glad you would like to test this.

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Clint Eastwood - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 08:15 PMWally Wrote:

I'm ???

Wally, I've always wanted to ask this and this is the perfect time to.

Is your real name Walter?

09-14-2018, 08:16 PMClint Eastwood Wrote:

I'm ???

My name is the original name of my goalie... why did I change it is the best question. Getting asked what salary cap circumvention is in a job interview because they search you on Google is no fun lol

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Hallsy - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 08:19 PMWally Wrote:

I'm ???

My name is the original name of my goalie... why did I change it is the best question. Getting asked what salary cap circumvention is in a job interview because they search you on Google is no fun lol

Wait did that actually happen?

09-14-2018, 08:22 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
09-14-2018, 08:02 PMWaters Wrote: I'm ???

No lie... absolutely did. So I had to explain what the SHL was to two head executives of a motorcycle company. Was super eventful and it wasn’t the first time lol

I'm ???

no but mine is

09-14-2018, 08:41 PMWally Wrote:
09-14-2018, 08:22 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote:
09-14-2018, 08:15 PMWally Wrote: Glad you would like to test this.

No lie... absolutely did. So I had to explain what the SHL was to two head executives of a motorcycle company. Was super eventful and it wasn’t the first time lol

im glad im ungoogleable because ben waters is a pianist, otherwise I'd probably be done

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Slappydoodle - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 03:34 PMWally Wrote: To those that feel the need to bait those in saying listed banned terms or words that would deserve a punishment, realize that we will request the full conversation. If there is a determination that the user was baited, drawn into, or otherwise antagonized into violating a personal conduct rule, then you will be punished in the exact same manner

Posting of additional vocabulary primarily used to slander various religions, ethnic groups, those with disabilities and sexual designations will leave you vulnerable to the same punishments as listed below on a retroactive basis from 9/14/18, going forward (meaning any word used that is deemed in violation will be added to the list and penalized immediately).

4. From this point forward, Discord, as an extension of the SHL itself being represented, will now be under the same scrutiny as the website, simulationhockey.com. While, there will be no need for LRs to have HO involved on a day-to-day basis, as cases are presented they will be reviewed and determined as punishable (or not) at the discretion of the HO.

I would like to preface my comments by saying for the record, I am not someone that courts trouble on this site or any other. I do not tend to use inappropriate language on the boards and rarely, if ever, get into fights or even disagreements around here. I am virtually certain none of this will ever effect me directly. This is about principle and fairness.

While I don’t have an issue with much of this, the above three aspects are troubling.

People are going to have disagreements on the site. They will say mean and hurtful things to one another, on occasion. Who’s to say what constitutes baiting or drawing in. People are responsible for their own words and actions. To blame one party for another’s use of a banned word is nonsensical. Allow people to be responsible for their own actions and not hide behind claims of provocation and inducements.

This second bit is truly outrageous and dictatorial. You are granting yourself the power to retroactively add words to the banned list and punish people for using them before a ruling is ever issued on their acceptability!? This should not be surprising from the same HO that punished c for doing something you felt should be illegal even though it clearly was not. The ex-post facto precedent was set then and apparently is thriving under this regime. It is frankly disturbing and ridiculous that anyone feels they can just change rules after the fact and punish indiscriminately whatever behavior they feel like.

The Discord thing is also egregious. How far does this power extend. If I e-mail someone privately, does the league have the power to punish me for what I wrote? If I meet someone in real life and call them hateful names, can I be banned for this? If I PM someone on Discord in a private conversation, you feel you have the right to punish me? What if it is on discord but completely unrelated to the SHL, like a wrestling or gaming area, or whatever else? How far does your reach extend?

I understand the HO is trying to sanitize the league and create a safe space here. I am not trying to cast doubt as to your motivations. However, I find it deeply disturbing how easily this HO slips into abuses of power and despotic tendencies. The answer always seems to be making up new rules to justify the results you want and then applying them to past behavior. It is keeping in step with the recent decision to take over the GM hiring process. Freedom in the SHL has been dying a slow and painful death for years now. You can not justify anything at all by merely claiming it is in the service of a kinder, gentler SHL.

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Sleepy - 09-14-2018

I'm ???

GOD?

RE: League Personal Conduct Change / Slash Suspension - Slappydoodle - 09-14-2018

09-14-2018, 04:26 PMBlastmeaway Wrote:
09-14-2018, 04:06 PMThatDamnMcJesus Wrote: Are rap videos not allowed to be post on the site?

DO you not have anything else to do with your time than try and find the smallest gap in something simple. First it was bitching about adding capped TPE. Now you’re going to think that the HO is going to suspend someone for sharing a video? Maybe if the video was used as a retort, but not simply sharing it

Do not disparage someone for pointing out a badly written ruling. He brings up a legitimate concern. To say maybe this or maybe that circumstance is allowable is no way to run a railroad. There are gaps here you could drive a truck through and I am afraid the HO will simply continue to change the rules to whatever fits their momentary desires as they have repeatedly done in the past.