Simulation Hockey League
30 Ways to Improve The League - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: SHL Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+---- Thread: 30 Ways to Improve The League (/showthread.php?tid=35900)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Mac - 06-27-2014

I have been in discussions with Park for the last month or so, I came up with thirty ways that this league I think can improve both function and activity. He asked me to post it here to get discussion from everyone in the league so maybe the people can do something will do something.

1) More organization, the site looks great until you log in. Update sidebar and banner ASAP when applicable. Have a schedule, I'd suggest three months per season and keep to that so certain things happen at certain times. Recruitment during draft is smart, next should be opening night.
2) Similar forums grouped. Anything with player progression (CW, PT's, TTC, Individual training) all in one area, make this place easy to navigate and with that create archives FFS. No need of having threads from season 16 pinned anywhere.
3) All media in one section of the site, create podcast section seperate from the standard media section.
4) Link to starting guide in welcome post
5) welcome committee
6) recruitment at 5 TPE per person, why is finding an active member the same as the activity check? have the TPE the same at recruitment but get the extra 3 TPE if the person gets drafted with over 100 posts? some sort of bonus that also prevents multi abuse.
7) Milestone post bonuses. 10 TPE at 100, 500, 1000, 5000, 10000
8) Weekly PT, resuse popular ones.
9) Create a section where people can make bets on real life hockey games using their funds. Use proline odds and rules and any lost money goes into a huge lottery draw at the end of season.
10) Create and update a league schedule.
11) update sidebar and forum leaders.
12) Get rid of individual NHL sections. It spreads discussion thin.
13) username - player - name database including older player names.
14) up to date bank, transaction form for ease of use and updating, standard form for updates as well.
15) No update scale 1st year in juniors? I know it is crazy but it helps offset a brutal update scale. And they only have 12 chances at updating during juniors if the season is three months.
16) Inactives bank money goes into the lottery I mentioned before.
17) New training
100,000 for 2 points
1,500,000 for 8 points.
18) Strengths? What benefits do these have besides being able to be just slightly better than some people at them. What about removing the update scale for them since they are, yinno, strengths.
19) PBP threads. each team gets at least one PBP a week. Keeps rivalries going and the league more active. And pay the person for HOURS of their time.
20) Late night rec ap/PGS done by europeans.
21) Bring back magazine, pay juniors for quotes for articles in it.
22) Line editing coodination
23) Create a site upkeep and maintainance position.
24) Cut down on trolling and drama (sorry for contributing to that tonight)
25) weekly discussion thread to discuss any thing that needs to be done. All managers, all GM's, commishes, etc, that is involved in running the league gets a chance to address issues.
26) League votes on important issues, must pass 75% to change.
27) 1 sim per day for conference and league finals, time to build hype, decide lines, etc.
28) play by plays that get 12+ viewers and post proof get bonus.
29) General questions thread, linked answered questions get 1 TPE a week uncapped.\
30) huge recruitment incentives. money, tpe, etc.
31) Commissioner terms (4 season/1 year) with one possible second term. Let the league vote on who they think should run things if they are not satisfied with how it is.

- JNH - 06-27-2014

5) What's a welcome committee? Hmm

- BasedMinkus - 06-27-2014

I am one hundred percent behind #31

- xDParK - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jun 27 2014, 11:31 PM
Yeahthat

It was my idea :->

#DP4COMMISH

- Maxy - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jun 27 2014, 10:31 PM
I'm not for the simple reason that people don't know the sheer amount of work that it takes to be a commissioner and even the most active people and well respected people I don't think would be able to handle most of it. If we were doing that, then I would prefer to see it voted on by the owners, or GM's personally.

- JNH - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Jun 27 2014, 10:34 PM

I'm not for the simple reason that people don't know the sheer amount of work that it takes to be a commissioner and even the most active people and well respected people I don't think would be able to handle most of it. If we were doing that, then I would prefer to see it voted on by the owners, or GM's personally.

Yeahthat

It turns into a popularity contest and not everyone can be a commish lol. There's a reason that a ridiculous amount of work goes into the decision making of who can be a commish, cause there's so much more invovled than what appears on the surface.

- Mac - 06-27-2014

Welcome committee is so someone is there to buddy up with a new member right away and answer any questions they may have.

Yep Maxy, which is why if the person doesn't do well with it then it moves on to the next person who can give it a shot. Also, there is no need to be hard pressed to do things here, there are a lot of people to spread the jobs around to.

- xDParK - 06-27-2014

Pfft is wade can do it anyone can Smile)

- BasedMinkus - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by JNH@Jun 27 2014, 07:36 PM

Yeahthat

It turns into a popularity contest and not everyone can be a commish lol.  There's a reason that a ridiculous amount of work goes into the decision making of who can be a commish, cause there's so much more invovled than what appears on the surface.

Yes because the shl isnt already entirely a popularity contest.

- Mac - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by JNH@Jun 27 2014, 11:36 PM

Yeahthat

It turns into a popularity contest and not everyone can be a commish lol.  There's a reason that a ridiculous amount of work goes into the decision making of who can be a commish, cause there's so much more invovled than what appears on the surface.

That's the issue, it could end up as the most popular person but not the correct one for the job.

- Maxy - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by FOG (Mac)@Jun 27 2014, 10:36 PM
Welcome committee is so someone is there to buddy up with a new member right away and answer any questions they may have.

Yep Maxy, which is why if the person doesn't do well with it then it moves on to the next person who can give it a shot. Also, there is no need to be hard pressed to do things here, there are a lot of people to spread the jobs around to.
Yeah but a commissioner is something that we can't really have a "They're replaceable" mentality with imo. The one benefit to having a steady commish is (Theoretically) consistency, whether there is any currently, I'll leave up to you as I'm sure everyone has their own opinion. But without a commissioner doing their job to the best possible way they can, this league wouldn't survive long, and if we're just replacing people all willy nilly, it's going to just create problems. I'm all for a 4 season term (with one re-election) but I think it should be a bit more exclusive of a vote to those that are a bit more qualified and see the things behind the scenes rather than just what's posted on the boards.

- JNH - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by FOG (Mac)@Jun 27 2014, 10:36 PM

We have one, thanks :lol:

That would be up to the owners to decide whether or not they're doing it well. We're not hard pressed, we actually have a great system in place. Wade is the commish, we have Spangs, Krever and L4E as owners to provide input, dpark and myself are advisers who can help out too. Also have the SMJHL commishes if we needed. The owners hold the power and if they feel something needs to be changed, they can do that. They're 3 guys who have helped build this league from the ground up, I trust them that they're able to discern whether this league is on a good path or not.

- xDParK - 06-27-2014

Wade,Spangs,OCairlines,gorlab should run imo

- Maxy - 06-27-2014

Quote:Originally posted by xDParK@Jun 27 2014, 10:43 PM
Wade,Spangs,OCairlines,gorlab should run imo
JT would make a great commish. His no bullshit attitude would be something I could get behind.

- JNH - 06-27-2014

I'm against a 4 season term, or any term in fact. While it may make a commissioner "fight" for their term, it's going to lead to more rash decisions in my opinion and I don't think it creates stability in front office. This is a difficult league to run and having potential turnover that much will be hard. Being forced to step down could potentially piss the former commish off to the point where they don't really help train the next commish. This will mean that you have a rookie commish with little/no guidance coming in and trying to run the league. You can't have that.

When tez stepped down, for his season he had Wade working with him the entire way so he could be part of everything and know how to run it. That won't happen with terms and that's a large reason why I'm against it.