Simulation Hockey League
How to resolve "I only want to play here" Players - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: SHL Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+---- Thread: How to resolve "I only want to play here" Players (/showthread.php?tid=44462)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- Maxy - 01-07-2015

So with the "I only want to play for this team" stuff that's continually happened, It's kinda donned on me that the system we have is not ideal and favors players much more than it does GMs. I have a proposal that I think will discourage the "I Only want to play here" people while also adding value to the draftees trade value. Thus more likely to get GMs to deal if they truly want the player.

First things first, we need to abolish the rule that says after a season of holding out you re-enter the draft, that rule makes a player who refuses to sign relatively worthless. Here is what I propose instead.

When you draft a player, that player becomes your property for 3 seasons, meaning no other team can sign that player, or re-draft that player for 3 seasons. if that player refuses to sign, they are automatically re-assigned to their junior team. But here's the catch, they are only allowed to be on their junior team, while NOT under contract with an SHL team, until they hit the TPE cap, once they hit the TPE cap (Essentially saying they're too old to play in the juniors) they are not allowed to play without a contract. They also cannot bank TPE, Thus giving them the option to either sign a contract, or sit idle until signing a contract.

By making a player property of the franchise that drafts them for 3 seasons, it not only makes holding out draftees a higher value piece, it makes it so that teams aren't forced into taking less than what they deserve because someone refuses to sign. They can still progress and play in the mean time while trades are talked out or contract negotiations progress, but they can only get so far, the GM's don't get screwed out of a draft pick, the players don't have full control over the situation but still have a bit of leverage, and draftees who do refuse to play for a team that draft them don't immediately lose all trade value because the teams trading for them know that they can wait one season and re-draft.

I'm open to talking this out or elaborating on it but I think this is a solid way to circumvent the drafting woes while not entirely screwing any specific party

Open to comments and critiques but I think this could really help the draft process.

- BasedMinkus - 01-07-2015

But that also forces the hand of the player involved. It isn't fair to them either that they have to sit out 3 seasons because they don't want to play for a team.

The league is meant to be fun so let those players have fun.

I much prefer the Bojo realm of automatic compensation for a player that refuses to play for a team.

- Maxy - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jan 7 2015, 12:17 AM
But that also forces the hand of the player involved. It isn't fair to them either that they have to sit out 3 seasons because they don't want to play for a team.

I much prefer the Bojo realm of automatic compensation for a player that refuses to play for  a team.
There's no way that a player is going to sit for 3 seasons, Not only can they retire after the 2nd season (Which would be 1 season of inactivity given they can play in the juniors for one season) but no GM or player in this league has the patience to wait 3 seasons for something to happen, this is more to give GM's a tad bit of leverage in drafting without being handcuffed by a player knowing they can sit for a season and re-enter without any problem.

- Carl - 01-07-2015

thats fucking dumb I'm gonna recreate soon and no way in hell am i gonna be going anywhere but texas

- Jesus The Mexican Way - 01-07-2015

I think the solution is for GMs to make their team desirable.

- Harry - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by Carlzner@Jan 6 2015, 11:19 PM
thats fucking dumb I'm gonna recreate soon and no way in hell am i gonna be going anywhere but texas

Dont worry no one else wants you

- BasedMinkus - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by Carlzner@Jan 6 2015, 09:19 PM

I'm going to draft you first overall and sign you by giving you blu-ray Wire box set.

- Maxy - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by pbb@Jan 7 2015, 12:21 AM
I think the solution is for GMs to make their team desirable.
It doesn't matter for some players. They only want to play for one team and that's not fair to other GMs when a team can draft them extremely late and get a quality player free.

- Carl - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jan 6 2015, 11:21 PM

I'm going to draft you first overall and sign you by giving you blu-ray Wire box set.
:o oh shit Alex

- GroupMeIsKindOfOkay - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by Carlzner@Jan 7 2015, 12:22 AM

:o oh shit Alex
I can't compete with that

- Reynolds - 01-07-2015

JayTee, it is supposed to be fun but at the same time is it fun for the GM and players of the team who drafts them if the player rejects that team? Not really.

- Jala - 01-07-2015

Limiting them like that will make people quit the league. Established members aren't usually the ones holding out, it's new members who would just quit.

Bojo's idea is a solid one in that it softens the blow of the GM who drafted the player while allowing enough flexibility to the player.

I think the biggest thing is some of the GMs have been burned by vet players who just want to play for their old/favourite teams and they've become jaded and see all acts as that.

- Maxy - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by jaladolar@Jan 7 2015, 12:30 AM
Limiting them like that will make people quit the league. Established members aren't usually the ones holding out, it's new members who would just quit.

Bojo's idea is a solid one in that it softens the blow of the GM who drafted the player while allowing enough flexibility to the player.

I think the biggest thing is some of the GMs have been burned by vet players who just want to play for their old/favourite teams and they've become jaded and see all acts as that.
If they're gonna quit because they didn't get their way they don't really belong here anyways lol. They're not exactly new a season and a half at minimum into their SHL career. By the time they reach the TPE cap for SMJHL Which I think is 350 they're certainly well accustomed to the league.

Bojo's idea leaves a lot of loop holes imo.

- Chris-McZehrl - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@Jan 7 2015, 06:17 AM

I much prefer the Bojo realm of automatic compensation for a player that refuses to play for  a team.

i must say Maxy is right! the drafted Player can inform the GM that he would like to be drafted! the other Team can legal wise not know about that! so if that is the Boy or girlfriend .... then shit happens but that would be tampering, right?

all in all the Teams could be never be fucked! also the GMs! i am wrong? or Wong? :lol:

- Reynolds - 01-07-2015

Quote:Originally posted by jaladolar@Jan 6 2015, 10:30 PM

True but in a weak draft she is a player that would go high, if Minnesota feels she is valuable they will draft her #1 overall. If not, well then we know the loyalty there isn't very strong and she should probably re-evaluate her decision to come out and say stuff.