Simulation Hockey League
S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry (/showthread.php?tid=92388)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - ej27 - 01-07-2019

PT 2 - Team Chemistry

The season is fully underway now. Is your team starting to gel?

Requirements

Written option: Write 150 words about your overall team performance so far. What is the team doing well? What do you still need to work on to make it past the first round come playoff time? Include at least 4 team stats.
Graphic option: Create an infographic comparing your team's strengths and weaknesses. Must include at least 4 team stas.

Reward

4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S45 SMJHL Rookies (S46 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.

Deadline Monday 1/14/2019 @ 10am CST

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Nerio - 01-07-2019

I play for the Kelowna Knights and our season has been solid so far, currently sitting in 5th place at 9-6-0. One of our greatest strengths is our powerplay at 29.31%, tops of the league. Our penalty kill started off a bit better and has dropped recently to 77.42%, putting our combined special teams at 106.73% which is good enough for 4th place in the league. Our shot differential was very poor after the first 5 games or so, but has since improved a bit to get us from last place to 7th place at 95.68%. We will definitely need to continue improving in that regard. Despite a poor shot differential, we're 2nd in the league in average goals per game at 3.2, and 5th in goals against at 2.8. Those numbers are sure to improve if we tighten up better defensively and allow less shots. Our start has us well positioned to finish the season at a decent seed and with some improvements we have a solid chance to do well in the playoffs.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - GCool - 01-07-2019

I haven't had the best season individually so far, but that's the way these things go in your rookie year. I've had 2 goals and 3 assists, a +1 rating, and 27 hits in plenty of games played. My shooting percentage is awful - so hopefully if my puck luck turns around, I can score a little more. There's a lot to work on, though!

As for the team, there's a lot to be excited about considering the expectations for us going into the season. We have a pretty decent Power Play percentage at 22.45, which is good for 5th in the league through 15 games. If you combine that with our decent PK we have one of the better special teams units in the league (106.76% PP+PK). On the other side of the coin, if we're going to win games down the stretch, we have to get the shot ratios working in our favor. We're by far last in the league in Shots For AND Shots Against per game, with 23.27 for and 29.07 against. If we're averaging being outshot by 20%, something needs to change!

Using the classic Sandwich coaching strategy, we have to end on something good as well, after going good/bad. We have won over 50% of our faceoffs (51.79%), and we have 8.53 PIM per game which is pretty low! We could certainly afford to be more physical - but that's where I come in as a power forward. I really hope to change things up down the stretch when I start getting stronger.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Off - 01-07-2019

The Whalers have started off with one of the hottest starts in the SMJHL. The league is extremely close and teams weaknesses are being exploited. The Whalers currently are tied for most Shootout losses in the league with the Raiders. Offense in General is also seemingly one of the Strong-spots in the Whalers line up, as they are leading the league in goals for at 49 thus far into the season. The power play is also clicking at a fantastic 28.13%, mixed in with the penalty kill of 85.71%, the special teams of the whalers are combining for 113.84% Making the Whalers one of the most deadly team when the advantage is given, and hull down when they give one up. The one offensive stat that is lacking for the Whalers is their faceoff percentage, which is down to a lowly 50.70%. The team is built well with young and old(er) talent, a great front office and many many hungry players. the only thing that needs to shore up are the defenseman, as the goalie has been amazing.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Flareon - 01-07-2019

A rough start to the season is probably the biggest understatement of the league right now. 0-11-3 going into the second match of the week against Detroit wasn't nice, but finally the magic happened and we pulled off a win, a convincing one at that, winning 3-1.

Before the big win, there were some bright sparks about our power play was by far the best in the league at one point, sitting 10% above the rest of the league. It's slipped down to 27% which is good enough for 3rd, but I think we'll all take it given the recent win.

Face-offs are another big aspect to our game right now. This is of course to be expected with a guy named Mr Faceoffs on your team, but the forwards have really excelled themselves. We're currently sitting at 52% which is good enough for 2nd in the league.

I think our current biggest issue is getting higher quality goals. The shots are kind of there at an average of 26 per game, but the goals are down at 2.4 per game, which are 6th and 9th in the league respectively. I think in the training sessions we should be working at setting up more high quality scoring chances, and getting a lot of traffic in front of the goaltender.

Our penalty kill also needs a lot of work, we're way down at the bottom at 66%, it won't be easy to turn this around but I think the win against Detroit will help catapult us into success, and maybe even get somewhat far in the playoffs.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Djenthallman - 01-07-2019

I'm playing for the Vancouver Whalers and I've got to say that overall we're doing well. 22 points, second place in the league and the least amount of losses in regulation. Also we are on a 9 game point streak.

What we're doing well: we score a lot, 3.27 goals per game, best result in the SMJHL. Special teams are also amazing, second best PP in the league (28.13%), third best PK (85.71%).

There aren't many bad things to say about our team, we are good at everything or at least average. Our only problem right now is playing in overtime and shootout. We went past 60 minutes five times and won only once. One win and three losses in shootout and a loss in OT without a single win (ok, there's only one team in the league right now which won in OT — the Scarecrows).

About me: I scored 1+2 in 15 games, this is not much, but this is not my primary duty, since I'm a shutdown defenseman. I blocked 13 shots, it's the third best result on my team. I get a decent amount of playing time, both on 5v5 and special teams, which is great for a rookie player. I'm happy with the team and content with my own performance, but of course there's still a lot of room for improvement.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Segi - 01-07-2019

After the first 15 games, the Anaheim Outlaws have a record of 7-6-2. That isn't great but the team has exceeded the expectations of an expansion team so far. One positive stat are the face offs. The Outlaws manage to win 51.79 % of them wich makes them the third best face off team of the league. The special teams also perform decently compared to the rest of the league. They score in 22.45 % of their power plays and kill 84.31 % of their own penalties.

The team does still need a lot of work on their play during equal strength however. The Outlaws are last of the league in both shots for and shots against. The team definitely needs to improve their game without the puck. If they can do that during this season and their players stay active in training, the Outlaws could definitely reach the playoffs quarter finals and maybe even upset one of the very good teams in the SMJHL.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - gordieboom - 01-07-2019

Our team, St.Louis Scarecrows, is currently sitting in 8th place (7 wins, 8 losses), which is very disappointing considering the fact that we are the reigning champions. That said, the team did lose many players that went to the SHL so we did lose some quality. However i was still expecting us to fight among the top 4 places. One key thing we need to improve is starting the game with more focus. We scored 10 goals in the first period, fewest of all teams. Also we need to capitalize more on our chances. We are putting a decent number of shots on net per game (26, 4th best), but since we are 7th with goals for (2.80 per game), it means that we are missing too many chances. On the positive side, our rookies are fitting in well. 4 different rookies have earned a first star rating. Finally our penalty killing is among the top of the league (2nd, 87,50%)

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - StadiumGambler - 01-07-2019

My guy Nick Brain plays for the Colorado Raptors. We're currently part of the big 8 team scrap for playoff spots right now, sitting in 6th place 2 points clear of a playoff spot. Theres real upside to this team, but theres also some stuff we need to work on going forward........

-The Good: Defensively the team is sound (although I worry that'll be affected as we got rid of a veteran inactive for a rookie active). We give up 24.47 shots per game, meaning we don't overwork rookie goaltender Yuri Ushakov too hard. Yuri's responded well to that with a nice .914 save percentage and a 2.14 GAA (second in the league in that department). The team's given up 36 goals, third lowest in the league.

-We set a physical tone in each game, leading the league in hits with 311. Luckily this doesn't translate to frequent time in the penalty box as we average 8.93 penalty minutes per game, which is close to league average.

-The Bad: Our special teams ranges from mediocre to atrocious. The atrocious is the Powerplay unit, which only converts 6.83% of the time. For a team with 5 veteran forwards, some of whom are amongst the leading scorers, thats simply unacceptable. Something's gotta change there. Perhaps putting Lunga Gumba on the point could help, hes got an SHL level slapshot that hasn't seen much action on the team so far, although his other skills could be called into question.

-The PK is below league average at 77.42%. Again, not sure what the deal is there, as the team's no doubt a top defensive unit at even strength.

-The Raptors generate 24.47 shots per game, tied for second worst in the league. This may be less of an issue, however, as we're tied with the Montreal Militia and they lead the league. I'd bet our shooting percentage is amongst the highest in the league but that stat doesn't seem to be tracked?

-The Raptors team faceoff percentage is 46.33%. The finger's gotta be pointed squarely at Daniel Smeb in that regard. Hes having a decent season on the 3rd line otherwise, but 37.2% at the faceoff circle isn't going to get it done.

Overall impression I'm getting from the team is they're a physical, solid defensive unit, with a good plan at even strength that generates and prevents quality shots, although the system falls apart with a man off for either side.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - LonnyBohonos16 - 01-07-2019

The Anchorage Armada have been off to a solid start in season 45 posting a record of 10-5-0 through the first fifteen games, good enough to have them tied for third while only sitting three points back of the first place Militia. Their good start can be attributed to solid play in all facets of the games, leaving no glaring weakness for the opponents to exploit on a nightly basis. Goal scoring is well distributed throughout the lineup making it hard for other teams to control the Armada’s offence. They have good controlled team defense combined with solid goaltending making it difficult for the opposition to create good scoring chances and find the back of the net.

Two areas that the Armada have excelled so far this season would be their home ice performances and their total goals against. Home ice is always an important tool for any team as it offers a mental edge over the opposition to help them come away with the victory. The home team does however, have to take advantage of that opportunity and the Armada have so far. Posting a 6-1-0 record through the first 7 games at home, Anchorage is tied for the best winning record at home meaning they have taken advantage of every opportunity that they have been given. The second area that they have excelled at is the overall goals against that they have conceded fifteen games into the season. Sitting at just 35 goals against, and a goal differential of 12, they have the second best goals against in the league. Meaning their goaltending and defensive play give them an opportunity to win every night.

Two areas that may be considered a weakness or at least in need of improvement include their play on the road as well as their special teams. Through the first 8 road games, the Armada have posted a 4-4-0 record which places them in the middle of the pack compared to their competition. That is in no way a horrible record but improving their play on the road can help them climb the overall standings. The second area that needs improvement is the special teams, with their powerplay sitting at 15.69% this placed them in the bottom half of the league in the 7 hole. Their penalty killing was slightly better but still had them sitting around the middle of the league average at 83.67%. Improving  both of these areas will be pivotal for them and their continued success.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Lynxfire - 01-07-2019

The Anchorage Armada are in a good spot through this point in the season, sitting in 3rd with a 10-5 record but 8-2 in their last 10. They are only 3 points off from the lead and have been buoyed by a balance attack, strong defense and great goal tending from their new #1 goalie. The Armada's goal differential is tied for first at 12. While the Militia is the only team to have them beat in goals against (35 vs 33), the Armada and Militia are tied for Goals For with 47. However, when looking at shots for and shots against, Armada leads in both those categories. The Armada is also very disciplined and is running at the lowest penalty minutes per game (7.20 per GP) out of the entire league. Also, one of the key's to the Armada's victories have been their runaway success in the face off circle with a 54.88% win percentage. They are able to win the puck consistently and chew up valuable minutes in both sides of the rink. Goal scoring is also balanced as eleven separate players have scored multiple goals. New #1 goalie Peter Larson has shored up the net with a solid 0.907 save percentage and 1.84 goals against in the last 7 games.

The main thing to focus on for this team is the special teams play. Both the power play and penalty kill rank in the middle of the pack... bringing up those two stats should help solidify the Armada as the top dog of the regular season.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - ElPato - 01-07-2019

The Anchorage Armada have come out strong after a less than ideal start, only winning 2 out of their first five games. Since then, they have won 8 out of their last 10, sitting in 3rd place with a 10-5-0 record. They are top 2 in the league in both Goals Against and Goals For/Against, but are 5th when it comes to Goals For. This solid defense comes from a core of 4 rookie defenseman. The Armada are also a very physical team, leading the league in hits/game while also staying out of the box with the least PIM/game. This discipline is key to the team's success, and even when they do get into penalty trouble, they have an 83% PK success rate which is good enough for 5th in the league. One thing they need to work on is their Power Play. They only have a 15% success rate on the PP, which is below the league average of 20%. If the Armada could work on this, it would make them an even bigger threat then they already are.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - BWIII - 01-07-2019

NSFL PT

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - Daco - 01-07-2019

My stats used just to be clear and easy for grader:
1) Team standing
2) Goalie Wins, sv%, GAA
3) lead in scoring Jack Kennedy stats
4)lead in +/-

The Vancouver Whalers have had an absolutely outstanding start to the season. They are currently in 2nd place with a 9-2-4 record and just 1 point (22) shy of Montreal's 23. Leading the Whalers to victory has been the rookie sensation Casimir Stevens, with an outstanding 9-2-4 record himself .888 sv% and 2.76 GAA, having started every game thus far. Stevens is still learning the ropes as himself and the team struggle with overtime losses, but rest assured he will be in the groove and the team will fight hard once playoffs come around. The team's Captain and scoring machine has been Jack Kennedy with 7-10-17, as could be expected from the legend who decided to stay in juniors another season to help his team win. Alongside Jack is of course Noah Nowes, who is leading the team in +/- with 6 this top line has been carrying a large load but the most impressive thing about Vancouver is there depth, with any of the top 3 lines or defense being able to put the puck in the net.

RE: S45 SMJHL PT # 2: Team Chemistry - O4L - 01-07-2019

So far this season the Colorado Raptors season has been a bit of a mixed bag. At the start of the season the Colorado Raptors won 6 of their first 8 games but since then they've only managed to win 2 of their last 7 to put them in 6th place in the league. The Raptors have been very pleased with their depth scoring this season with 8 of their 12 forwards scoring 3 goals or more. A big part of the Raptors season would have to be their rookies and the rookies have been scoring with 16 of their 45 goals being contributed by rookies. A major cause for concern for the Raptors has been their awful special teams with the PK dropping as low as 77% and the powerplay being an absolutely dreadful 6.82 % which puts them in last place in PP% and 5% worse than the next worst team. Going forward the Raptors will need to rely on their rookies to continue scoring and if they improve their special teams they could likely fly up the standings.