Create Account

Deep Dive #2 - Detroit Falcons S77 Draft Class Season Recap
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2024, 09:45 PM by roquefort. Edited 1 time in total.)

With our season coming to a tragic ending (we got simmed) I've been left looking forward to the future. Falcons as a whole seem to be in a transitional stage within the SMJHL with many of their veteran capped players expecting to be called up. In order to mend those wounds (ripped open by greedy SHL teams) the Falcons had to nail their recent draft class. And nail it they did. 

Let's take a look at my fellow rookies and how they've been doing. I will assess each player based on their draft position relative to their TPE, build, as well as stats within the sim itself.

Let's start from the top. 

ROUND 1, PICK 8 -  Falcons DETROIT FALCONS  Falcons SELECT: Simon Science, user JasonHopefully - Right Wing

Falcons started the draft off hot with an offensive oriented player in Simon Science. As a user, Jason is a multi-league vet (who I share 10 frickin discords with) and about as dependable as they come. He's lived up to the hype in the SHL earning a solid 254 TPE at the time of writing. He's leaned very heavily into physical attributes, boasting an absurd 15 agility (relative to his TPE). He's leaned very heavily into offensive stats, which makes sense given his position and role on the team. Notably he's checked in a bit more than most into fighting and aggression. Could the Falcons be building towards a bit of a brawler? 

Sim-wise, Simon was a bit of a mixed bag. He played in 66 games and only found the net in 10 of them. Despite his poor finishing ability, he excelled as playmaker and was 4th on our team with 32 assists. Of those 32, 30 came during even-strength situations, leading our team. In addition he boasted an impressive 44.3% FO win% despite low investment and being a rookie. His average 72 OGR was good for fifth on the team, proving his immediate impact. 

GRADE: A 

Can't really ask for much more than this. You picked him expecting a contributor immediately - and you got one. Simon is a useful player on a very fun user. Looking forward to killing you in our next Town of Salem game.

ROUND 1, PICK 12 -  Falcons DETROIT FALCONS  Falcons SELECT: Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen, user ZodiacEXE - Left Defense

Falcons went to the complete opposite side of the team and selected a left defender. Zodiac is another veteran user who boasts a top player at his position in the ISFL (shoutout crasher wake for carrying my fantasy team) and is a GM in the PBE. As a user within the SHL he has absolutely lived up to the expectations. He currently has a whopping 277 TPE good for a tie for fourth within the S77 class. He has a very min/maxed build that highly prioritizes staying on the ice with high stamina as well as a high IQ with 14 defensive read. He had an interesting distribution of his offensive skills, opting to leave the shooting attributes and screening at 9 while raising the rest to 13. He clearly has a plan with this build and I'm excited to see where he takes it. 

As a player, Smitty has been lacking. It's very difficult for me to assess defenders as I understand nothing about hockey and the measurables are much more abstract. What I can say is that he had a 65 DGR which doesn't stand out in the slightest. His -17 +/- was fourth worst on the team, indicating that he had some trouble keeping the opposing offense away from the net. Despite his poor statistics, Zodiac has been a great user to be a teammate with. He's been someone I've personally found very enjoyable - and that sort of intangible doesn't show up on a stat sheet. 

GRADE: A+

Value. Experience. Maturity. Zodiac and Smitty check every box. You got a top player in the draft at 12oa, and Zodiac's overall sim-experience brings a valuable veteran presence to help guide a very excitable rookie class. 

ROUND 1, PICK 22 -  Falcons DETROIT FALCONS  Falcons SELECT: Chairy Styles, user Primeapple - Right Wing

Only three picks in to the class and I'm sensing a trend. Detroit goes back to offense, continuing to balance the class out with Chairy Styles. Prime built his character out a bit more unique than other offensive rookies, putting heavy emphasis on his physical ratings. At a very respectable 260 TPE, Chairy has a whopping 14 in Accel, Agi, Speed, and Stam. His offensive skills are well balanced with 13s in everything except range (perhaps this works to keep him closer to the net?). 

Within the sim Chairy has delivered. With 16 goals and 28 assists, Chairy ended up 5th on the team in overall pts. His 83 OGR led the team despite being a rookie. Whatever he was doing, it clearly worked. Despite Detroit's overall defensive leaning within the scheme Chairy seemed to find himself in the right place at the right time. As a user, Prime has been very chill and positive within the LR. He's done an amazing job of contributing to what is a very fun place to shoot the shit in Detroit. 

GRADE: A

Another great pick. I suppose it's hard to go wrong in the first round, but Detroit did a fantastic job in making zero poor decisions and setting up the team for future success. Primeapple is a consistent earner who I expect to continue to grow into his role both within the LR and the team.

Thank you for reading - I will likely continue this series in the future as the opportunity presents.

Thank you to my lovely GMs and all of the other users within the Detroit LR who have made it an enjoyable place to be. If I were to give it a rating, I'd say something like... 9/50. 

Roquefort Cotswald

[Image: draft-ad.png?ex=66247d0e&is=6612080e&hm=...cddcfb611&]

Falcons

Falcons Canada

Approved @roquefort @CptSquall

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights