Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive 1: SHL Playoff Chalk (Out West)
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023, 09:15 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

The SHL playoffs have an interesting format. To start 16 out of 20 teams make the playoffs. That's 80% of the league. I can't even say that I mind it because it can allow for some crazy stuff to happen, almost March Madness like. I'd have to imagine that the eighth seed in the conference beating the one seed does not happen very often. Maybe I'd make that my second Deep Dive! Anyways, the way that so many teams get let in to the postseason can make it kind of chalky. In fact, I'm seeing how much this is actually the case in the SHL for S70. 

Out West, the top four teams were Winnipeg, Seattle, Calgary and Chicago. Winnipeg dispatched of Minnesota in 4 games, as everyone expected. They had over twice as many points as the Monarchs in the regular season (108 to 50). One could easily argue that this series never even shouldve been a thing, but I guess it is to give almost all the teams something to pay attention to during what would otherwise be a fairly long offseason. Seattle had the same story, sweeping the Renegades without ever batting any eye. Again, this was totally expected. Minnesota and Texas winning a game wouldve actually been categorized as more shocking. Finally, a lower seed won a game as Edmonton Blizzard took one from Calgary. A "gentlemans sweep" as some would call it. Even though they took a game, it is still nothing crazy going on. Chicago is the only higher seed that got some trouble, in the form of a Game 7 against the New Orleans Specters. They ended up prevailing over their close standings counterpart, but so far, all chalk out West. In round 2. Seattle swept Calgary, keeping their run going. Winnipeg is having issues dealing with Chicago right now as they are going to game 5 tied 2-2. Game 5 will be at Winnipeg, so they will be looking to go ahead and then finish the job. If they do that, it will be 1 vs 2 in the finals, having beaten 3 and 4, who took care of 5, 6, 7 and 8. That is what we call pure chalk. In order for it to be complete, the Seattle Argonauts crazy run would have to stop at the hands of the Winnipeg Aurora. Based on how the teams are playing right now, that will not be easy. But the simulation has consistently favored the favorites, so it's certainly possible! The Aurora are 4-0-2 in the regular season against the Syndicate, so the results of the first four games of the series might just be a small aberration. This includes a ridiculous 9-3 beatdown. They didn't even lose in regulation, so I would predict that the Aurora straighten things out and advance to face Seattle. They are 2-2 in their four matchups with Seattle, and that includes getting shut out 1-0, while winning another matchup 7-1. It's been up and down, so if that is the finals, it'll be a sight to behold. Will Seattle (or Chicago) break the trend? Or will the chalky Aurora prevail?

[Image: nf6AAw2.png]

Approved, +5 TPE to @Crash_Conrad

[Image: CptSquall.gif]