Create Account

S71 Redrafting 1st Round

Redrafting the Season 71 SMJHL draft 1st round as we are halfway through the season. Lets take a look at where the picks are and if we were to redraft who would go where. I based this redraft on top TPE earners by position of when they were initially drafted, sorry wingers you were essentially left out of this redraft.

Round 1
1: Armada Anchorage Armada - Kazuchika Okada – Left Defense
219 - TPE
33 Games – 0 Goals – 13 Assists – 13 Points – -12 Rating – 77 Blocked Shots – 42 Hits

It is never a bad idea to take an established veteran. They know the site they are clearly comfortable with the day to day. Right now Kazuchika feels like a stretch as first overall. Above average TPE and player production.

Redraft pick: Zedward Zilliams (256 TPE) UP 7 spots.

Sticking with Defense Zilliams has similar production but much better defensive stats and his TPE is top of the class.

2: Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows - Artturi Lappalainen – Left Defense
211 – TPE
34 Games – 3 goals – 6 Assists – 9 Points – -8 Rating – 34 Blocked Shots – 60 Hits

Another early pick for a veteran and another player that currently looks like a stretch for such a valuable pick. Nothing wrong with what they are doing but there were others that presented a higher value later on.

Redraft Pick: Jaden Tanner (246 TPE) UP 4 spots.

Once again similar point production but a much higher TPE earned.

3: Elk Regina Elk - Rowan O'Beirne – Center
228 – TPE
35 Games – 7 goals – 8 Assists – 15 Points – -6 Rating – 15 Blocked Shots – 26 Hits

Rowan is doing great at training, keeping up with the majority of the draft class in the upper 20%, his points have not translated to match his hard work yet but it will.

Redraft: Austin Morley (241 TPE) Up 12 picks

I am going to assume they want to stick with Center, so in the mock draft they pick the best Center on the board to fill their team’s need.

4: Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles - Jaromir Jagrbomb – Right Defense
208 - TPE
33 Games – 5 Goals – 17 Assists – 22 Points - -7 Rating – 82 Blocked Shots – 45 Hits

There is nothing wrong with Jagr’s production as a defender as he has become a useful two way threat. His TPE is a little low for a top 10 pick.

Redraft: Lazer Gato (242 TPE) Up 2 Spots

A great pick for Carolina Lazer is able to crawl into the top 5 in this year’s draft. Defensive Awareness is the key to his game with an impressive blocked shots total.

5: Knights Kelowna Knights - Rocky Orwell – Left Defense
235 - TPE
34 Games – 4 Goals – 18 Assists – 22 Points - -4 Rating – 59 Blocked Shots – 65 Hits

Rocky has been great as a two way threat from the back end, and he is the first pick in the top 5 that you can say has been justified with how well he has earned so far. I am tempted to leave him on the redraft, but for the interest of seeing where players end up…

Redraft: Remington Richardson (240 TPE) Up 31 Spots

Vancouver has a nack for uncovering late draft gems, Richardson is another one. Sticking with defense he is out earning the majority of this draft class despite being a mid-third round pick.

6: Whalers Vancouver Whalers - Jaden Tanner – Left Defense
246 - TPE
35 Games – 1 Goal – 8 Assists – 9 Points - -7 Rating – 49 Blocked Shots – 53 Hits

We have already seen Jaden earlier in this draft, he moved up 4 spots to take 2nd overall, so we know he has put in the work to earn a great position. So with Jaden up who now takes over the 6th overall spot?

Redraft: Sven Holmberg (239 TPE) Up 23 Spots

Sven has just barely out paced Rocky in TPE so he earned the right to move up in the re-draft. Another 3rd round steal this by St. Louis.

7: Kraken Carolina Kraken - Lazer Gato – Left Defense
242 – TPE
33 Games – 2 Goals – 16 Assists – 18 Points – 9 Rating – 102 Blocked Shots – 44 Hits

Lazer has turned out to be an amazing pick already rising several spots to earn a top 5 position. Lazer’s defensive awareness and toughness has helped his team in a lot of ways despite being rookie heavy.

Redraft: Rocky Orwell (235 TPE) Down 2 spots

Honestly not a far fall for Rocky. He has done well in his training and production to earn this position. Not bad drafting by the Knights getting so close to his value in a redraft.

8: Falcons Detroit Falcons - Zedward Zilliams – Left Defense
253 – TPE
33 Games – 1 Goal – 7 Assists – 8 Points - -9 Rating – 140 Blocked Shots – 76 Hits

Currently leading the draft class in TPE Zedward is the gold standard right now. It may not be fair to call a top 10 pick a steal, but considering so many before him were also defenders he really has been a steal with his dedication so far.

Redraft: Westley Kirkpatrick (234 TPE) Up 11 spots.

Kraken get top 10 value in the second round. Phenomenal value for the Kraken and great work by Westley.

9: Grizzlies Great Falls Grizzlies - Arnošt Hlemýžď – Right Defense
233 - TPE
33 Games – 4 Goals – 10 Assists – 14 Points - -11 Rating – 79 Blocked Shots – 70 Hits

Arnost has been working tirelessly and it has been paying off. A two way threat and one of the better defensemen selected in this draft class, Arnost has proven the Grizzlies right for calling his name this early.

Redraft: Arnost (233 TPE) No movement

THEY NAILED IT with this pick. Perfect value for a defender at this time.

10: Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows - Sunrise van de Schubbekutteveen – Center
207 – TPE
34 Games – 15 Goals – 21 Assists – 26 Points - -6 – 14 Blocked Shots – 44 Hits

Centers may have been the most prized pick outside of defense in this draft, the second one to go in the first round. Sunrise is a bit behind pace compared to other centers selected in the first 3 rounds, but there is a lot of time to make up for it.

Redraft: Jeff Hunziker (230 TPE) Up 7 spots.

Jeff moves up because of positional needs, there were a number of others to choose from that could have been selected before him, but when you need a center you draft the best of the remaining on the board.

11: Falcons Detroit Falcons - The Murray – Left Wing
249 - TPE
33 Games – 5 Goals – 22 Assists – 27 Points - -6 Rating – 16 Blocked Shots – 120 Hits

The first winger selected off the board and the Detroit Falcons may have felt like they hit a homerun with this one. The second highest TPE earner, and the fact Detroit had needs across the entire draft table they had the option and smarts to grab the best player available. In fact if this was based solely on TPE he would have been second overall.

Redraft: The Murray (249 TPE) No Movement

Once again Phenomenal pick, nothing wrong on value.

12: Battleborn Nevada Battleborn - I-Stir MyPudding – Right Defense
182 – TPE
34 Games – 5 Goals – 20 Assists – 25 Points – 34 Rating – 35 Blocked Shots – 70 Hits

This pick is one of the misses in the first round. I say that cautiously because I-Stir is still active and earning, so a lot can change. But as it stands right now there were a lot of options on the table for those who have earned higher and brought more to their team.

Redraft: Sean Bird (230 TPE) Up 15 spots

Sean is making Newfoundland look smart and helping to keep the champs pipline of impressive talent flowing. They make few errors in their player development and Sean is living proof.

13: Timber Maine Timber - Bernard Lodge - Goalie
238 – TPE
21 Games – 14 wins – 3 Losses – 3 OTL – 2.90 GAA – 2 Shutouts - .900 Save %

The Maine Timber had few holes in their roster coming into the draft, but the one glaring hole was goaltending. They must have spent sometime double checking on who was going to be the most dedicated in their mind and found a great option.

Redraft: Bernard Lodge (238 TPE) No movement

Perhaps the story is more about how Bernard could and should have been selected earlier if it was based on BPA opposed to positional needs. Great pick for the Timber.

14: Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows - Dee Fence – Right Defense
180 – TPE
34 Games – 1 Goal – 10 Assits – 11 Points - -9 Rating – 28 Blocked Shots – 55 Hits

The Scarecrows really had a rough go for drafting in the first round. Don’t worry they more than made up for it in later rounds. As they came up to the bat with the final pick in the first round and third pick so far in this draft for St. Louis. This one can only be said as a miss with development at this time. Once again lots of time left to see this all shake out.

Redraft: Kazuchika Okada (219 TPE) Down 13 spots

The first overall pick gets drafted, to be honest he is saved a bit as we are going by positional redrafts as there could have been higher earners that would have been picked up in this spot before him.

Round 2
15: Elk Regina Elk - Austin Morley – Center
241 - TPE
35 Games – 10 Goals – 10 Assists – 20 Points - -17 Rating – 29 Blocked Shots – 30 Hits

16: Armada Anchorage Armada - Dan Johnston – Left Defense
197 – TPE
33 Games – 4 Goals – 17 Assists – 21 Points - -11 Rating – 68 Blocked Shots – 72 Hits

17: Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles - Jeff Hunziker - Center
230 - TPE
33 Games – 18 Goals – 15 Assists – 33 Points - -14 Rating – 19 Blocked Shots – 26 Hits

18: Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows - König Wolf – Left Wing
241 - TPE
34 Games – 14 Goals – 24 Assists – 38 Points - -3 Rating – 18 Blocked Shots – 71 Hits

19: Kraken Carolina Kraken - Westley Kirkpatrick – Right Defense
234 - TPE
33 Games – 11 Goals – 17 Assists – 28 Points – 82 Blocked Shots – 48 Hits

20: Knights Kelowna Knights - Arthur Kaliyev – Left Wing
222 – TPE
34 Games – 14 Goals – 18 Assists – 32 Points - -8 Rating – 23 Blocked Shots – 90 Hits

21: Knights Kelowna Knights - Trey Daniels – Left Wing
198 – TPE
34 Games – 8 Goals – 9 Assists – 17 Points - -14 Rating – 30 Blocked – 73 Hits

22: Whalers Vancouver Whalers - Leon Rizzton – Left Defense
198 - TPE
35 Games – 1 Goal – 11 Assits – 12 Points - -14 Rating – 131 Blocked Shots – 53 Hits

23: Elk Regina Elk - Philippe Le Bel – Left Defense
210 - TPE
35 Games – 2 Goals – 7 Assists – 9 Points - -9 Rating – 33 Blocked Shots – 68 Hits

24: Kraken Carolina Kraken - Bjorn Arneson – Right Defense
155 - TPE
32 Games – 0 Goals – 12 Assists – 12 Points – 103 Blocked Shots – 45 hits

25: Grizzlies Great Falls Grizzlies - Beau Kavanagh – Right Wing
NA – DID NOT SIGN

26: Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers - Dan Craig – Right Wing
230 - TPE
35 Games – 12 Goals – 12 Assists – 24 Points – 22 Rating – 13 Blocked Shots – 79 Hits

27: Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers - Sean Bird – Left Defense
230 – TPE
35 Games – 2 Goals – 19 Assists – 21 points – 19 Rating – 36 Blocked Shots – 50 Hits

28: Timber Maine Timber - Maxwell King II
217 – TPE
20 Games – 5 Goals – 11 Assists – 16 Points – 15 Rating – 4 Blocked Shots – 41 Hits

Round 3
29: Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows - Sven Holmberg – Right Defense
239 - TPE

30: Armada Anchorage Armada - Joseph Reed - Center
208 - TPE

31: Grizzlies Great Falls Grizzlies - Oskar Samuelsson – Right Defense
172 – TPE

32: Whalers Vancouver Whalers - Scott Seitz – Left Wing
216 - TPE

33: Elk Regina Elk - Adrians Skalbergs – Right Wing
176 - TPE

34: Knights Kelowna Knights - Activity Check - Goalie
231 - TPE

35: Falcons Detroit Falcons - Wayne Holloway - Goalie
237 - TPE

36: Whalers Vancouver Whalers - Remington Richardson – Left Defense
240 - TPE

37: Falcons Detroit Falcons - Trevor Lahey - Center
224 - TPE

38: Grizzlies Great Falls Grizzlies - Billy Hill – Left Wing
229 - TPE

39: Battleborn Nevada Battleborn - Colin Zwiers – Right Wing
189 - TPE

40: Berserkers Newfoundland Berserkers - Dylan Jacob-Smith - Center
217 - TPE

41: Battleborn Nevada Battleborn - Shaggy Beer – Right Defense
160 - TPE

42: Malamutes Yukon Malamutes - Colt Freed – Right Wing
169 - TPE

There you have it, a new first round and there is so much season left to play out. I can’t wait to see how all rookies continue to develop and grow from here. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

Final note: I started working on this on Saturday morning, when I had completed entering the TPE amounts I noticed there was a change in some TPE totals between players. Meaning Updaters were busy at work while I was also at work. So this is a great case study and fun read but the TPE earned can be way off, so just have fun with it.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Gotta factor in Detroit lifer tho  Falcons

[Image: cNHA4sa.png]

Would love to see a s70 one

[Image: 9x1vcNx.png]

06-10-2023, 06:21 PMCrazytomato Wrote: Would love to see a s70 one

Maybe tomorrow, I feel like I have beaten season 70 to death.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Sorry, I’m stupid. What is the “rating” stat?

[Image: Morleyhockey.gif]

Just shows that the Whalers have nailed it again! Whalers

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

06-10-2023, 07:23 PMsoevil Wrote: Sorry, I’m stupid. What is the “rating” stat?

+/-

Sorry couldn't think what to label it. In my mind +/- rating stuck out.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Whalers

[Image: izzy.PNG]

Do R2 plz

06-13-2023, 04:31 AMBANACKOCK Wrote: Do R2 plz

I was debating about it, but at this point I would have to redo the entire article as TPE has been adjusted for everyone and I would need to grab the entire draft class.

I will likely do an entire redraft at the end of the season, or a report card of some kind.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

fwiw, ephy's TPE changes absolutely nothing about us picking him in the first - he's been a locker room fixture in nevada even when he wasn't active in the league, so when an alum who's been hanging out in the LR for years comes back and tells people he wants to play for you, you pick 'em in the first, same as with Noka last season Smile

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

06-13-2023, 11:42 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: fwiw, ephy's TPE changes absolutely nothing about us picking him in the first - he's been a locker room fixture in nevada even when he wasn't active in the league, so when an alum who's been hanging out in the LR for years comes back and tells people he wants to play for you, you pick 'em in the first, same as with Noka last season Smile

Totally get that! Crystal McCloud is our Noka! Incredibly active in our locker room, team Captain and just a treat to be around. Honestly couldn't see Artermis picking anyone but her with our first round pick in season 70. Totally worth it. Heart

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

wanna do a redo of SHL's S69 draft for no particular reason :DD

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig! [Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=663422ef&is=6632d16...f173626fb&]

06-13-2023, 11:59 AMSeany148 Wrote: wanna do a redo of SHL's S69 draft for no particular reason :DD
Laughing

You guys are killing me...

I kind of do. But I should do some work today. Lol

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride