Create Account

Looking at S45 Rookies with Advanced Stats PT. 1

Okay, I lied. This aren't real advanced stats but something that I cobbled together to try and help the GMs out get a quick snapshot of the rookies looking to be drafted for S45. These kids haven't played any games so there aren't any statistics to paint a picture. In lieu of proper stats I used their ability scores to try and make some educated about the kinds of players we have coming into the league. By no means is this perfect, in all likelihood somebody else out there will have a much better way of ranking the new guys, but I am trying to teach myself how to use excel and it was fun. None of the abilities are weighted and does not take any current activity into account. Take everything with a grain of salt and maybe it will help the GMs out there with their picks and help the new guys see what they need to work on in their builds. This is part one of many since so many people have signed up. 

Offensive Threat
The first stat I made is Offensive Threat. To calculate offensive threat added the offensive skills: Puck Handling, Passing, Scoring, and Penalty Shot together and divided it by the fundamental skills: Skating, Endurance, and Strength. A perfectly balanced skilled and fundamental player gets an Offensive Threat score of 1.3. A score higher than 1.3 represents a player with strong offensive capabilities but poor fundamentals leading to a kind of glass cannon situation. They will probably be more likely to score but also more likely to be scored upon and be penalized due to lack of speed and endurance. A score lower than 1.3 represents strong fundamentals but poor offensive prowess. These guys may be more of a safer bet in close games or crunch time. 

Defensive Liability
The second fancy stat I pulled out of my butt is Defensive Liability. To calculate this I added what I see as the defense related skills (puck handling and passing show up again here): Puck Handling, Passing, and Defense and divided that by Skating + Endurance + Strength - Discipline. I threw discipline in here because if your in the box all the time that is a serious liability. For DL, a perfectly balanced player (at all 100s) will have a score of 1. A score higher than 1 represents a very solid defensive player that should be used more sparingly due to a lack of speed and endurance. A score lower than 1 represents the inverse, a player you can rely on to  but with less skill.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet:
Spreadsheet

A quick look at the first handful of rookies makes it seem that Kage Garnett is the most offensively potent and Chico Smeb looks to be the most defensively sound player analyzed so far.

Again these numbers may or not be sound. The higher or lower the number over a balanced player 1.3 OT or 1 DL just shows where a player's strengths lie and how to properly use them in a sim.

More to come in the next million parts

(543 words plus research time. Double Media week)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

very nice!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Nat "advanced stats" Emerson with another one!

Keep em coming!

RETIRED

Nice job! Why did I expect an impossible article with advanced stats like corsi <_<

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

He’s about to take away my role :pepesadman:

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

12-19-2018, 10:49 AMluketd Wrote: He’s about to take away my role :pepesadman:

Hey how old are you/ what industry? I'm a manager in data analytics working on some cool stuff just curious what your extent of knowledge is or what tools you use @luketd

12-19-2018, 10:57 AMDaco Wrote:

Hey how old are you/ what industry? I'm a manager in data analytics working on some cool stuff just curious what your extent of knowledge is or what tools you use @luketd
I’m 19, still in college, comp sci. And just a lot of basic spreadsheet stuff. I took an excel course but I mainly use google sheets. I basically just do a lot of simpler stuff, a lot of functions and stuff.

12-19-2018, 11:05 AMluketd Wrote:
12-19-2018, 10:57 AMDaco Wrote: Hey how old are you/ what industry? I'm a manager in data analytics working on some cool stuff just curious what your extent of knowledge is or what tools you use @luketd
I’m 19, still in college, comp sci. And just a lot of basic spreadsheet stuff. I took an excel course but I mainly use google sheets. I basically just do a lot of simpler stuff, a lot of functions and stuff.

Ah cool! Well good luck in school. I recruit comp sci and IsYe people from my school so if you are able make sure to emphasize learning sql /python/R and Power Bi is getting big too. Those are the big corporate pushes these days. Random tips <_<

12-19-2018, 11:09 AMDaco Wrote:
12-19-2018, 11:05 AMluketd Wrote: I’m 19, still in college, comp sci. And just a lot of basic spreadsheet stuff. I took an excel course but I mainly use google sheets. I basically just do a lot of simpler stuff, a lot of functions and stuff.

Ah cool! Well good luck in school. I recruit comp sci and IsYe people from my school so if you are able make sure to emphasize learning sql /python/R and Power Bi is getting big too. Those are the big corporate pushes these days. Random tips <_<

Any tip is a good tip thank you.

Haha I'm not looking to steal anyone's role. We can work together to bring analytics to the forefront of the SHL!

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]