Create Account

Jukka Jokinen prepares for the draft

Jukka Jokinen is going to be making is North American debut in the SMJHL draft on Monday.

He has spent the past season really preparing for the North American style of game. He has put in an extensive amount of work with legendary defensive forward Here Lehtmenin. The hard work has definitely paid off. His defensive game has come a long way and to the surprise of Jukka it might be one of his biggest strengths. 

“I never thought with just one season of training with Here that my defensive game would improve that much.” Jukka admitted. “I am grateful for all his help with getting my game ready for North America.”

This past season in the Finnish Pieni Liiga he has 65 points in 52 games. The second highest in the league this season. He is able to use his size and skating ability to go where he wants on the ice. His ability to get into position and have the knowledge of the best place to be has really unlocked his linemates potential also. Despite all of this his passing is still a weak point in his game as told by his linemate.

“Jukka really is an amazing player,” Sauli Niinisto, his linemate, said. “But sometimes his passes aren’t so great. If he can improve that like he did his defensive play there is no stopping him.”

He hasn’t stopped practicing since his season has ended and wants to use every minute to get ready for draft. This should come to no surprise to anyone who has followed him the past few seasons. He has always put in extra time before and after practice. 

“He is always at the rink. It’s really impressive the way he goes above and beyond to work on his game.” Niinisto said. “His drive for success is really inspiring to the rest of the team and makes us all want to be the best we can be.”

“I really just like hockey. I can’t get enough of it.” Jukka explained.

He led his team on a deep playoff run that ended in the finals. His team fell to HPK Juniors in a 4-2 final. Jukka made sure they had a chance in every game and never showed lack of effort. This deep run made him a late addition to the SMJHL draft. He may have wished to come into North America fresh off a championship win but that might just make him more eager to win a cup with his new team.

(424 words) Draft Media x2

[Image: flickerstrikemeta.gif]
[Image: Rq2Dtaw.png][Image: PPpK5xb.png][Image: gs89eGV.png]
Image by @BDonini