Create Account

Post-game: Adam Falk shines, praises teammates.

[Out of character] Tonight featured this off-season's first S24 SMJHL 'Rookie Showdown' in league history. A great showing by some of the top prospects this year's draft has to offer. A three-game series, broken into Orange and Green Prospect teams, drafted at random and assigned positions based on their preference. Around the rumor mill, many have claimed this year's draft class has some of the deepest and highest-potential talent the league has seen in years, and a breath of fresh air to many owner's. Whether it be a high octane forward looking to pile up the stats, or a defensive defender looking to protect his own turf. We sit down one-on-one with Adam Falk, whom participated in the three game series this evening to see how the festivities went and how exactly this could translate in the outcome of the upcoming draft.

[In character]

Adam, thank you for taking the time to chat with us post-game.

Not a problem, glad to be here. Thanks for the opportunity.

Now, obviously the biggest adjustment for you and many of the draftees, is coming from overseas where the rinks are larger and have more open ice. How did this series help you or at least make you realize what you need to focus on more now that you're playing in North America?

Well that's a great question. I think the biggest adjustment is more fluid skating, you know, in Sweden and most places overseas you have much more open ice to create opportunities and you can spend more time floating east & west to decide on the best course of action against a certain defense. North American ice is much narrower, probably by 20 feet or so... at least it feels like it [laughs.] Where I would normally be assessing a play still, I'm approaching the dasher boards and forced to make a pass or turn I may not be comfortable with.

Do you think that was a huge factor in tonight's series?

I don't think so, no. I've been playing for a few weeks now on American ice and got the handle on it for the most part, and I know some other players like Dambach, Tsizling, etc. are also doing the same thing. Nah I don't think it was a HUGE factor, but everyone is thinking about it and having to adjust in one way or another.

You mentioned some other players, but statistically YOU had a huge night. Also, recent rankings have you falling outside of the first and even second round. After a great showing tonight, how do you compare yourself to the other top prospects in this draft?

I really try and avoid all rankings if possible, but word does get around. The best thing I can do for myself is just keep improving and making the best strides I can towards becoming a better player. I don't normally put up huge offensive numbers, so I'm really happy with the numbers I put up tonight (2G,7A in 3 games.) Like I said though, it's not a matter of focusing on whether or not I'm ranked better than someone else or not. If I'm drafted early, awesome... if not, then I'm out to prove everyone wrong. If I'm a better player tomorrow than I was today and my team is winning, then I consider that a success; regardless of draft position.

[Image: Hagg_Flyers_13Draft_portrait_672x412.jpg]

Now both teams were obviously loaded with young talent, all eligible for this year's draft. Who would you praise on either team for their performance?

Damien Wert was a fantastic talent tonight. I don't know what it was about his style of play or how he approached the game, but he was burying pucks what seemed like every other minute. What did he have, 15 points total I think? Incredible, whatever team lands him will have an awesome talent up front. Also I'd like to give a shout out to goaltender Kyle Prince. There were a few weak goals from time to time, but honestly, it would've been much worse if he hadn't made a few clutch saves. Really a solid goaltender, certainly #1 at his position for this draft. Anthony Mantha also gets a shout out, he's been right there at the top of the list all season long. Wish he was on our team tonight.

In the third game tonight, you recorded a 'Gordie Howe Hat Trick' (1G, 3A, 1 fight.) Is this how you see the future Adam Falk performing at the SHL level?

On a nightly basis? I wouldn't say so, no. But that's the competition level I expect to bring every game. Sitting in the box for 5 minutes when I want ice time and helping the team create chances, that's not an ideal situation for me. If we're losing or momentum isn't going our way, I'm not afraid to drop the gloves and try to swing that in our favor. For that game it worked too, we overcame a 3 goal deficit and won in OT. I just want it to be known I play all facets of the game, no stone is left unturned.

I noticed they played you C as opposed to your natural LW, and your Face-off percentage was 47% combined for those 3 games. Do you see this as a weakness in your game, or nothing to 'lose sleep over' since you're a natural wing?

Well I think you asked that in a weird way to be honest [laughs.] Is it a weakness? Yea, it is. Like I've said in previous interviews, coaches have a tendency to play me in PK scenarios due to my two-way approach to the game... so yes I take face-offs, and especially in those instances, they need to be won. Is it something to 'lose sleep over?' No, but they'll be worked on for future moments like that.

So you finished your first Prospect Showdown, you outscored almost everybody, the S23 Finals are in session, the draft is right around the corner... What's on your mind about this upcoming season? Are you feeling any pressure to succeed?

Not really, no. Well, maybe a little bit. The closer you get to where you want to be, the pressure builds. I'm sure any current SHL player would agree. It's just a long, busy schedule ahead of improving and trying to impress scouts with where I excel. Just trying to use my down time to relax and take my mind off the draft.

[Image: Robert+Hagg+Sweden+v+USA+White+63vbnaraJYKl.jpg]

On a different note; A few nights ago featured a Prospect Shootout, and you scored a pair of clutch goals. Can you break that down for us a little bit?

[Laughs.] Sure. It's pretty funny you mention that because shootouts are NOT a strength of mine, or even scoring in general. Shootouts are also fun though... you run them at the beginning and end of practice to warm up / cool down, so it gives me a chance to try new things and practice my shot. I guess it paid off in the end, despite Prince being in net. It was a great time, everyone was having a lot of fun out there.

Adam, thanks for your time and best of luck this off-season and with the draft.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

[Out of character] Adam Falk continues to climb the preliminary S24 SMJHL Draft Rankings, but not so quietly anymore. The Swedish Phenom posted 2G, 7A and a +2 rating in tonight's three game series. Also worthy of a mention, was a Gordie Howe Hatty in game three and an additional fight in game two. His two-way game was placed on a brief hold this series as he displayed great athleticism and poise to generate opportunities for his team to constantly grab hold of the lead. Most notably, an amazing comeback in game three from a three goal deficit in the second period.

1,313 words.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Pssssst! You were on the Seals,not the Flyers Wink

Ilike

[Image: QhAQn2i.png]  [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Quote:Originally posted by RaiN@May 29 2015, 10:39 PM
Ilike
Barbashev! You shoulda been in our game tonight!

Quote:Originally posted by RaiN@May 30 2015, 12:39 AM
Ilike

Yeahthat

[Image: OaSEcaw]

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TEAM I WAS ON DAMMIT. Was drunk when I wrote this anyway tbh.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER