Create Account

SMJHL Logos Ranked ...Sort Of

Taking a bit of time to give my opinions on the mascots of each of the teams. For some bonus cash…I mean content, I will also start with a rundown of the Simulation Junior Hockey League before I dive into the majors at a later date.

<div align="center">[Image: aqXJtsT.png]
I will start with what is, for my money, the best in the juniors. There are several teams that I feel like could have gotten the nod here, but I am going to give it to the Kelowna Knights. I think their logos are both very solid and interesting on their own. Knights are an excellent choice for a professional sports team as it elicits imagery of combat, competition, and battle. All of which can have a bit of carry over to the ice. I think this team has done a great job with their mascot and branding.

[Image: ohBGD0t.png]
For second place, I am going to go with the Halifax Raiders. While obviously the Raiders mascot and color scheme are not that creative or original, I think the phrase “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” applies here. The Raiders are a good mascot and the black and white colors just work.

[Image: XaRJqpT.png]
Next up, I decided to go with the Detroit Falcons. This is another team that I do not think does exceptional work with their mascot or branding decisions. Their logo is pretty generic but for some reason I think a falcon mascot just works. At this point in the rankings the Detroit Falcons are more so getting placed because they played it safe and did not make any mistakes.

[Image: qb3qBIC.png]
The Colorado Mammoths come next on my list. I will be honest this was another team that was difficult to place. The Colorado and Mammoth combination is something that I think really works for a hockey team and that was a great decision. My biggest gripe is with the logo and color scheme. I appreciate that the color schemes are a bit different than what we usual see, but they also feel a bit bland. The mammoth logo itself is not bad but it also does not give me any strong impression one way or the other. If anything, I feel like the logo coupled with the colors comes off as a bit soft and friendly. In the end, it is not even that I dislike the colors and logo, they just are. I do not know if that is a bad thing for everyone, but personally I hate to see such a good opportunity fall a little bit flat.

[Image: pG62e95.png]
Next up we have the Montreal Militia. There is a lot going on with this team that I really like. First, I think the Militia is a great mascot. Personally, it gives me a connection between the fans and the team. The fans really can be part of the Militia. Another thing that I think is pretty great is the idea behind the logo itself. I have a bit of a bias towards teams that tap into their local scene a bit, and I feel like the Montreal Militia does a good job with that here. There is a link between the combination of Canadian and French heritage with the combined fleur de lis and maple leaf. It is a very clever idea that is done simply and I like that. However, it still does not really do anything for me. I do not even really know WHY I do not like this one. I think the colors are solid and everything else. My biggest gamble would be to say that I do not feel like the logo really says militia to me. But what do I know anyways?

[Image: ERTfTLy.png]
As we get a bit closer to the end of the list am going to go with the Prince George Firebirds. As a general sports team logo, I think the Firebird is solid and sort of just works. I think the logo is well done, but I do not like any fire based logo for hockey. It may not make sense and be a bit petty, but so it goes. A firebird is also not really a real thing, so I knocked it down a bit for that too. Obviously, others will feel different and I think that this one is going to be a big swing for some people. Like I said, it is not a bag logo.

[Image: XPCRmw8.png]
The Vancouver Whalers come in next and towards the bottom. So there are some perks to this one, I like the whole Whaler theme combined with the history of Vancouver kind of works. The logo itself is simple and does not have any major problems. However, the Whalers logo is a picture of a whale! They are not the Vancouver Whales so it does not really add up for me.

[Image: 9bs6uVK.png]
The title of the worst mascot and branding in the Simulation Junior Hockey League is my own former team, St. Louis. As much as it pains me to say the St. Louis Scarecrows might be the worst mascot in the entire league. The logo itself is actually pretty decent. I like that the Scarecrow looks a bit mean and he has an interesting color scheme. In the end, I just really do not like a Scarecrow mascot. No matter how mean this guy might look, I just picture an inanimate object stuffed with hay and sitting on a pole.</div>

Code:
903 words

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

Knights

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Firebirds Not the worst! Not the worst! Firebirds

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

Yeahthat Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds Firebirds

[Image: BoucherFan12.gif]

[Image: benzeev.gif]

06-11-2021, 05:33 PMKenitohMenara Wrote: [Image: BLUE.jpeg]
Welcome to the hall, Ben!