Create Account

2014 NHL Draft Discussion

Hoping Vancouver gets that #1 OA and picks Reinhart. Then Buffalo Takes Bennett and Edmonton gets Ekblad.

[Image: hallsy.png]

I'd like to see Vrana be available at 21 for San Jose, although I strongly feel like they'll either be moving up or down. I think Thornton is gone at the draft for sure

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Jun 23 2014, 09:00 PM

It's interesting how opinions seem to shift even if there aren't any games played. At the end of the season it looked like it was Reinhart and Bennett in the first forward tier and Draisaitl and Dal Colle in the second, but since then Bennett seems to have dropped for some reason. The Buffalo board over on HFBoards was pretty much 50/50 on Reinhart vs. Bennett in a poll a few weeks back but now either Reinhart has jumped into the lead or a very vocal minority succesfully pushed their agenda. Now I even see Bennett behind Draisaitl in a lot of mocks and discussions, makes me wonder if this might have something to do with the recent showings and the interviews at the combine?
The combine I guess changed quite a bit.

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Jun 23 2014, 09:00 PM

It's interesting how opinions seem to shift even if there aren't any games played. At the end of the season it looked like it was Reinhart and Bennett in the first forward tier and Draisaitl and Dal Colle in the second, but since then Bennett seems to have dropped for some reason. The Buffalo board over on HFBoards was pretty much 50/50 on Reinhart vs. Bennett in a poll a few weeks back but now either Reinhart has jumped into the lead or a very vocal minority succesfully pushed their agenda. Now I even see Bennett behind Draisaitl in a lot of mocks and discussions, makes me wonder if this might have something to do with the recent showings and the interviews at the combine?
Usually I feel like the Combine doesn't have a lot of effect on a player's draft stock, but maybe Bennett's poor performance actually hurt him a bit so Draisaitl may actually be able to jump up and pass him. Who knows really, I don't think you could miss with either player.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Jun 23 2014, 08:29 PM

I don't see the Ducks moving Bonino for Spezza. Only way I could see them moving Bonino would be for Kesler and that's only if Murray feels it's a 100% necessary.  I don't think Spezza's worth 8th overall+Bonino in the slightest. Spezza's a big time step down from Kesler and I'd be shocked and quite upset if the Ducks moved Bonino and a top ten pick for Spezza. Spezza had 66 points last season, Bonino had 49, and that's with Bonino playing second line duties with no set linemates all season. Bonino is too high a commodity to trade for a 2nd line center.

I'd like Spezza on the Ducks as a second line center, but I am not okay with trading franchise center prices for him. Bonino has enough potential to be a top line center and he played like it last season. AND a top 10 pick in a pretty decent spot to get a pretty good prospect is a bit of an overpayment from a Ducks fan standpoint
Turris played with better linemates than Spezza last year.
I like Bonino, but Spezza has been a ppg player over his career.
Bonino and the Ducks 1st would be a fair trade imo

I read an article somewhere a while back from a scout or a GM saying that at the combine they're not looking at results as much as they are work ethic of the kids.

Quote:Originally posted by LVShark@Jun 23 2014, 09:37 PM
I read an article somewhere a while back from a scout or a GM saying that at the combine they're not looking at results as much as they are work ethic of the kids.
Combine is mostly a conditioning test.
Which is essentially worth ethic off the ice.

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Jun 24 2014, 03:19 AM

Usually I feel like the Combine doesn't have a lot of effect on a player's draft stock, but maybe Bennett's poor performance actually hurt him a bit so Draisaitl may actually be able to jump up and pass him. Who knows really, I don't think you could miss with either player.

Same here, I don't think the combine matters much in the big scheme of things but the whole "Bennett can't even do a single pull-up thing" sure seems to have had an impact on the mock-draft landscape. Now I don't think that this had any impact on the opinions of actual NHL scouts, but maybe his interviews had? I've liked both Reinhart and Draisaitl a lot better in interviews, they both seem very mature and well-spoken (but they are also almost a year older than Bennett and he didn't seem like an asshole either, just not as impressive as the other two). Maybe this, combined with his lack of strength, which could come from a lack of off-ice work ethic, and his often mentioned lack of dicipline on the ice raised some red flags among scouts? Or it's just the internet overreacting as always, and the NHL teams still value him just as highly as they did when the season ended.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:Originally posted by LVShark@Jun 23 2014, 10:37 PM

Far more to it than that. There's looking at work ethic, room left to grow (since some kids are already pushing their limits of growth they can get from the gym, while the uber talented 160 pound, 6'3'' centre could get so much more from going to the gym and gaining those muscles.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Jun 23 2014, 09:58 PM

Far more to it than that. There's looking at work ethic, room left to grow (since some kids are already pushing their limits of growth they can get from the gym, while the uber talented 160 pound, 6'3'' centre could get so much more from going to the gym and gaining those muscles.
That's a pretty good point, guys like Marcus Pettersson who's 6'3" but only about 160 lbs are going to be much better NHLers when they get stronger and hit their full potential physically.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@Jun 23 2014, 09:32 PM

Turris played with better linemates than Spezza last year.
I like Bonino, but Spezza has been a ppg player over his career.
Bonino and the Ducks 1st would be a fair trade imo
I think it's fair value but not necessary for the Ducks. I would personally rather sign Richards to a short term deal if that's the cost. Spezza's a great player and a PPG, but he's 31 and while he's still a very good player, I wouldn't like to see Bonino included in a trade for Spezza. I'm not saying it's not fair trade or fair value, just personally I wouldn't want to see that trade done. I'd rather Rakell + 8th +TOR 2nd or something to that nature. Or if they really pushed throw in Anaheim's first this season which I believe is like 24th overall. Main reason I can't see Murray moving Bones is because he was legitimately the heart of our powerplay and was our only consistent performer on that unit. While Spezza helps the powerplay, he's got the same problem as Getzlaf where he seems to be afraid to shoot, when he does shoot, he scores, it's getting him to shoot that's the problem.

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Jun 23 2014, 09:58 PM

Lindholm's combine performance is what made him for the Ducks, especially his performance on the stationary bike.

I want Drastil at 4th overall i dont know why but i feel like he could be the best forward at the draft when all is said an done over the next few years. But i could be wrong either way hope the Flames pick him at 4 though i could see us moving down to grab richie plus add some assests.

West Kendall

Hoping Detroit trades down from 15th to get a 1st and 2nd rounder back to make up for the horrible Legwand trade (I liked that they picked up of Legwand, but the price for him was just too much at that time, and even worse as the playoffs rolled around).

[Image: BUzKbLn.png]

[Image: 5p7vOwY.png]  |  [Image: NA3IV5m.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Jun 23 2014, 07:29 PM

I don't see the Ducks moving Bonino for Spezza. Only way I could see them moving Bonino would be for Kesler and that's only if Murray feels it's a 100% necessary.  I don't think Spezza's worth 8th overall+Bonino in the slightest. Spezza's a big time step down from Kesler and I'd be shocked and quite upset if the Ducks moved Bonino and a top ten pick for Spezza. Spezza had 66 points last season, Bonino had 49, and that's with Bonino playing second line duties with no set linemates all season. Bonino is too high a commodity to trade for a 2nd line center.

I'd like Spezza on the Ducks as a second line center, but I am not okay with trading franchise center prices for him. Bonino has enough potential to be a top line center and he played like it last season. AND a top 10 pick in a pretty decent spot to get a pretty good prospect is a bit of an overpayment from a Ducks fan standpoint

What did I just read?

No offense but to call Spezza a 2nd line center and Bonino a potential first line center is far fetched.