Create Account

S66 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

Here in Anchorage we believe in non-toxic, inclusive atmosphere and with that we try not to have any ‘rivals’ as this could be seen negatively and we would never want someone to feel the pain of competition. That being said, fuck St. Louis. @TheSparkyDee more like no spark! The Crows come in as our rival strictly because I spent so much time there and almost made it back with my new soon to be failure recreate Connor McKeil, so it’s now my mission to destroy Sparky and his fleet of scarecrows, because we are GOTDMAN BOATS, and not jsut any boats, we are fucking WARSHIPS and those little crows can’t even compare.

There’s nothing like a rivalry built on a good friendship, it makes winning and losing extra meaningful. Like when we beat them early this season, damn that was nice, get rekt. I have no idea what our current season record VS them is, but fuck em.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

The biggest rivals of the Great Falls Grizzlies has to be the Carolina Kraken. Being the only two animal themed teams in the conference has led to heated feud. The battle between the deadliest bear in the world against the mythical sea creature has led to must watch streams in the SMJHL. The last match-up between these two powerhouses was an absolute barn burner that ended with the Grizzlies finding away to comeback from a 4-2 deficit in the third period. Terry Leviathan finished off a pass from Tero-Petteri Paalykanien with only 2:35 left in the game. Unfortunately, for Antonio Governo, his hattrick was not enough to finish off the Grizzlies as he found himself frustrated with the result at the end of the sixty minutes. This game also highlights many key problems for both teams as they fight among the middle of the conference. The Kraken only able to win a third of the faceoffs in the game and Grizzlies being careless with the puck having double the amount of turnovers.

[Image: ADOQcvG.png]
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: wu5MVvy.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Oh man, so as far as the other teams go there’s a lot of dislike for newfoundland in general. When you’ve had as much success at this level as they’ve had, that’s bound to happen. Now I’m kinda new to the franchise with this being my rookie season so I’m still kind of feeling out who our main rivals are in terms of having the most heated games on the ice. Thus far, I think I’d have to say it’s probably Maine. Despite Newfoundlands dominance in the playoffs, Maine has made some great strides recently and they’re definitely gunning to end the curse. On our side, it’s something we really take pride in and want to kind of uphold from our past. With a history such as ours things are bound to get heated on the ice pretty quickly and especially as words get exchanged. I think you’ll see this continue to grow this year and Im very interested to do see who will come out on top.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Rivalries are an integral part of any sport, even transcending the teams involved, weaving these conflicts into the cultural identities of the cities themselves. Rivalries like New York/Boston, Chicago/Detroit, and Pittsburg/Baltimore (assuming Caps fandom extends to Baltimore) go way beyond the teams. This is the case with the cities of Kelowna and Vancouver. Like the famed named rivalries such as the “battle of the beltways”, and the “red river showdown” the battle of British Columbia is a constant that draws a certain attention whenever the two teams meet up. This year team success has differed a bit with the Whalers having a strong start to the season and the Knights struggling to get going. However, when the two teams meet up, records are ignored and the contests are always physical and exciting. This past series between the two ended with each nabbing a regulation win. Only time will tell how the remainder of the season will shape up between these two teams and cities that simply do not get along.

There are two options for the answer to this question. One of them being Anchorage Armada. Why come the alaskan team? Well you see, that is because of in the FHM8 sim the game has put them as the rivals. Simple as that. They are also our division rivals together with the Colorado Raptors, but both teams are fairly far off currently.
The other one is a much more personal rival of mine. The Newfoundland Berserkers. They always have the upper hand on us. They always seem to have that nagging ability of completely being too good to be true. Despite us having such an easy time with them this season, and despite them being bad currently. And then looking at the standings, they aren't even the worst team in their own division!

Rivalry is a strange thing that make teams, fans and players alike do some weird shit in the name of hatred for other teams. I love it.

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride

As a newer franchise in the SMJHL, the Nevada Battleborn are still developing rivalries with the other franchises around the league. The Vancouver Whalers and Yukon Malamutes have been the only teams that have been able to keep pace with us so far this season. I feel that our games against these two teams will definitely carry extra intensity as the season progresses. We'll have to make sure that we're preparing properly for these games so that we can rise to the occasion in these crucial games. As for existing rivalries, there's a feeling that the teams games against the Newfoundland Berserkers are just a little bit more important than games against some other teams. The Berserkers beat Nevada in the Western Conference Finals last season and you can tell that doesn't sit well with the teams veteran players. I feel that with how well this season has gone so far, we're going to establish some big time rivalries with some of the other top teams in the league this season. This is the type of hockey that I feel I will thrive in.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

I guess Nevada passing up on me was the team I'd have a rivalry for. I thought our interviews went extremely well, and they even thought they wouldn't be able to pick me at the pick we spoke about. I'm sure the player they picked up at that spot is doing extremely well, but it always feels good getting some points against them! Happy to be helping my team in Detroit, but they sure missed out when they passed up on me. Also being the 5th non re created draftee seemed like a hard fall. The first non re create pick Jacques Hammer has played 32 games and has 8 goals 12 assists and 76 hits. I currently have 34 games played 11 goals 16 assists and 96 hits. I know it is still early to mid season, but I think Detroit won in their draft pick Falcons Falcons

[Image: Svatos2.png?ex=660626ee&is=65f3b1ee&hm=4...height=350] [Image: sig.png?ex=660330ca&is=65f0bbca&hm=574bd...9bdc77fda&]
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 06:22 PM by Memento Mori.)

clicked SMJHL PTs whoops

[Image: sink.png]
[Image: Screenshot_2021-04-12_000020.png]

Honestly I’m not sure if Vancouver really has a rival in the league at the moment. I don’t know the history of the league very well, but I know a lot of teams have been rooting against us. Obviously when you have a good season a lot of teams want to see you go down, and the Vancouver Whalers have been doing really well this season with a twitnty-five, six, and three record at the moment. I would say in terms of standings, our closest rivals right now are the Yukon Malamutes who sit at twenty-five, five, and two. So really two teams could not be much closer in the standings. However I don’t really believe we have any bad blood between us that would help make us rivals. Then again, we’re both in the same conference, difference divisions, so I feel liek that balances out. Honestly based on our division we’re competing the most and probably rivals the most with the Nevada Battleborn just by nature of being in the same division so I’ll go with them, final answer.

[Image: juniped_shl.gif]

[Image: tNjFc6c.jpg]

[Image: uktCsuX.png]

Kelowna biggest rival has and always will be the Vancouver Whalers. Despite their recent difference in competitiveness, the team's close proximity and history will always keep them at odds. This season so far the Knights were absolutely embarrassed by the Whalers 10-1. The game ended up with some fist cuffs as Brandt and Legume went off for coincidental roughing. The next game between these two teams didn't go much better for the Knights with them also losing 4-0. The bad blood continued with the Whalers Iskandrov getting a major for boarding. The Knights finally made the rivalry interesting this season by winning 2-1 in overtime.

"It’s exciting to score the game winning goal against a big rival like that. We haven’t played well against them this season and it’s great to get a win in their building. They are the top team in the league so it's a good measurement for us to know that we can play the right way.”

The Rivaleries for the Quebec City Citadelles are clearly not based on geography, due to the fact that all divisions in the SMJHL are based on standing. Due to this, there's like 3 teams i would say we have a rivalery with.

First of, the classic is that the Nevada Battleborn are considered rivals just for the fact that they were created in the same season as us. We never really faced in any big playoffs rush, so it's solely based on creation date.

Second, i would say that i concider the Detroit Falcons as a rival of the Quebec City Citadelles. We faced them a few time in the playoffs and i always like to play against them. Also they are also birds, so it help. Also, blue birds best birds.

Lastly, the biggest one for me are the Anchorage Armada. We faced them a lot of time in the playoffs just due to how they ended up being, they are also the team we won the cup again, so for me, they are our biggest rival.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

ISFL Affiliate

As a newbie to the SHL, it is hard for me to say who Anchorage’s biggest rival is. Geographically it looks to be the Yukon Malamutes, as they are the team closest to us Alaskan boys. Currently we are also division rivals, meaning competition is extra fierce between our teams as we fight for playoff positioning. Another strong argument could be made for the Newfoundland Berserkers, who eliminated the Armada from the playoffs three seasons in a row, from S60-S62. In S60 and S62, those series losses occurred in the Four Star Cup Final. Losing such important series 3 years running must have led to some bad blood between the two teams. As an individual, I consider Kelowna a rival as they opted to take Jacques Hammer as the first non-recreate off the board. I consider it my mission to prove that Sean Davies should have gone in that spot as the #1 Newbie. Armada

I wouldn't consider any team a rival to the Anchorage Armada. As a team, we are just too good for any other team to matter, but if I had to choose one I suppose i'd have to do it based purely on mascot. So you have to think, what is a natural enemy or predator of a boat? A whale? Nah boat have a long history of being superior to whales. A literal dinosaur? You really think a giant lizard stands a chance against them might of diesel powered steel tub with cannons and shit on it? You must be dreaming. naturally the only choice is the kraken. Giant squids have a fighting chance as they know boats pretty well and have a record of wins against them. But those were wimpy wood boats, not out modern state of the art floating murder cars. gonna eat giant calamari because you aint winning against us.

[Image: awesomecakes.gif]
[Image: beautifulphoenix.gif]