Create Account

Detroit Red Wings Offseason

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@May 2 2015, 05:17 PM

Not going to be even remotely the same team, there's literally like nobody left from that train wreck. they may be disgruntled but a good gm can change that quickly

They need a dramatic overhaul tho and they lack the pieces to accelerate that without moving both tbqh.

Anywho this is Wings discussion they got some good young D sure Kronwalls not getting any younger however, Phanuef seems like the right piece to me.

Then fill the ranks or guys who struggled this year with rotation of your younger guys. Who certainly need experience with the vet being 35 this year

West Kendall

Oilers could/should move Draisaitl for a legit dman imo

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@May 2 2015, 05:19 PM

One of their underachieving players maybe?  I could see some big trade with Phaneuf+Bernier for someone who doesn't set the world on fire but has value.  Definitely not 1st overall but one of their other younger guys

I think the Leafs would be dumb to trade Bernier IMO. But guess it depends on if this is a full fire sale that will take 5-10 years or if they can be smart and do it in 3ish and just build with the core after

West Kendall

Oilers can move anyone and should be open to doing so. They've been the worst team in the past 5 years.

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@May 2 2015, 05:21 PM
Oilers could/should move Draisaitl for a legit dman imo

Could be very intincing to the Leafs forgot about him.

Legit number 1C potential unruined by the Oilers management yet.

West Kendall

Quote:Originally posted by ORIGINSZ@May 2 2015, 05:22 PM

I think the Leafs would be dumb to trade Bernier IMO. But guess it depends on if this is a full fire sale that will take 5-10 years or if they can be smart and do it in 3ish and just build with the core after
I agree, he's still their best goalie by far but Toronto has seemed noncommittal to him

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@May 2 2015, 03:16 PM
Not to get off topic too much, but personally I think Phaneuf might end up in Edmonton. They have a huge amount of young players and getting McD they're going to move quickly in retooling would be my guess wit Chiarelli at the helm.

Smile) I was just going to say I can see a team like Edmonton taking that price for Phaneuf, but not Detroit.

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@May 2 2015, 05:24 PM

I agree, he's still their best goalie by far but Toronto has seemed noncommittal to him

They only commit to home town Clarkson, Komisarek anyone who had one or two good year and never live up to hype. Or guys like Jeff Finger which had everyones head scratching lol

West Kendall

Babcock granted permission to talk with other teams. Compensation if he sign elsewhere is a 3rd round pick. I was fine with Babcock or Blashill, and a 3rd round pick kind of cements that.

i think id rather have blashill

as much as i like the 'cock, we're going through a transition next couple seasons and blashill has spent way more time with all the young guys. might be a better choice long run

Quote:Originally posted by Falkirk@May 9 2015, 03:00 PM
i think id rather have blashill

as much as i like the 'cock, we're going through a transition next couple seasons and blashill has spent way more time with all the young guys. might be a better choice long run
They've also lost in 1st round 3/4 years so it's not like Babs is carrying them beyond what they're capable of. Wings are a fringe playoff team IMO, and that's what Babcock has brought them too, nothing more though.

you guys are managing expectations to avoid disappointment Smile)

arguably best coach in the world vs. never coached an NHL game....

best coach in the world, always

Quote:Originally posted by Kinsler@May 9 2015, 05:01 PM
you guys are managing expectations to avoid disappointment Smile)

arguably best coach in the world vs. never coached an NHL game....

best coach in the world, always
Not at all :lol:

Babs himself has said a coaching gig lasts about 5 years max in the NHL, after that the message can wear thin. I'm not saying Babcock's message has worn thin but a coaches job is to get results for his team, and in the past few years Babcock hasn't done anything special.

I'm not saying he's not the best coach (although I'm not confident it's as clear cut as everyone makes it out to be), I'm saying it could very well be time to move on.

If I had my way we'd keep Babs forever and Blash would coach the AHL forever and Holland would GM forever and Yzerman would still be with the team, but that just won't happen.
If we keep him great, if we lose him oh well, I'm indifferent.

Something that will always stand out to me is at times at the end of games it looks like the whole team has given up. Most noticeably the end of game 7 at Tampa but also a few other games over the last few years.

I don't know if that's on the coach or the players or a combination but that has stood out to me

Babcock has one cup. He has 2 gold medals coaching a dominant Canadian team. He doesn't have a Jack Adams. He didn't help this team rise from the ashes, the dirty work was already done, they won 3 cups, made the playoffs for 10+ years, and Babcock's core (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall), was already there and coming along. Not to mention Detroit really doesn't do the developing, that's left to Grand Rapids and the teams they play for before Detroit. You make and you play to win games, you make Detroit and adapt what you've already learned in junior, college, Sweden, AHL, etc.

Now I love the guy, like his style, like his philosophy (which is also why I like Blash), but at the end of the day, he hasn't done anything that screams keep him around by all means necessary.