Create Account

Weekend Funtime: Thoughts

expansion sounds sick! i think both the smjhl and shl should expand. hopefully theres enough newbs for that! probably not though

[Image: cashsavage.gif]

The concept of expansion is very interesting, especially since I haven't seen expansion anywhere as long as I've been there before, despite all the talk about it on GOMHL nad such, and it would be cool, but my main issue with it, especially in the SHL, is right now they have a perfect playoff system going, with 4/7 teams in both divisions making the playoffs. I think if expansion is going to be a thing, and I feel it would have to be when fitting enough people in really starts to become a problem (multiple teams failing to fit all their players into 4 lines and 4 pairs), and adding 2 teams concurrently. It has really bugged me in the NHL that they have an uneven amount of teams in each division (3 with 8 and one with 7), which statistically makes it unfair to some of the teams trying to qualify (and triggers my spreadsheet OCD). 16 teams, two groups of 8 (or even 4 groups of 4 if you want to get crazy) would be a really nice and clean way to do it. This was a very long-winded (and perhaps redundant) ramble, but I hope it at least gets my ideas across properly.

[Image: Nowes.png]
[Image: S43WhalersChamps.png]

[Image: YztPk3T.png][Image: 6by0kBi.png]

- With more and more great members flooding the site, there’s a vague feeling that we may soon not have enough space for everybody. What are your thoughts on expansion? How many more teams, if we were to expand? Who do you think should get the chance to lead an expansion team, and why?

I think it's still too early for an expansion. If the sites growth continues to increase then maybe an expansion should be on the table in a few seasons. If it was to happen it would have to be a two team expansion and right now is too early for that.

- The standings are looking a bit unusual. What’s been the biggest surprise for you so far this season (good/bad), and do you think that trend will change or revert before the end of the season?
Uhhh what the hell jets... why you bad now? This season has been surprising, mainly the teams in the west. The east is pretty much playing out how I expected.

[Image: 53994_s.gif]

Player Page
Player Updates
SMJHL Commissioner , SMJHL Awards Head, Banker (NEW/WKP), Rookie Mentor

yay

I definitely think that we could expand both the SMJHL and the SHL. My initial thought is 2 more teams each league, but I'm not sure how that would work out logistically.

The Jets really need to shake up those lines a little in the search for chemistry. Right now they seem to be as flat as flat can be. It's hard to believe a team that stacked can't figure it out somehow. I'm sure at the beginning of the season they had a well thought out plan. I admire the tenacity, but at this point it's time to try some other combinations.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

It should come as no surprise to anybody that the Blizzard are one again in the thick of the playoff hunt. The real surprise is that teams continue to somehow be better than they are.

[Image: xOtrQ61.gif]

The standings are looking a bit unusual. What’s been the biggest surprise for you so far this season (good/bad), and do you think that trend will change or revert before the end of the season?

I'm pretty surprised that myself and the Panthers are sitting outside of a playoff spot, hopefully we can turn it around over the next week or so and make a push to get in.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

I'm honestly surprised at both Winnipeg and Minnesota - I had both of those teams pegged to play solid seasons and do very well. Hopefully both teams can turn it around the second half of the season.

[Image: dnlll.gif]

» Update Page | Player Page | My Twitter «
[Image: 2qcdsat.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: 16gwwf9.png]

I think Wally was a great choice for HO. I don't think I've ever had a bad run in with the guy so I feel like he will be nice level headed addition to the office of head.

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender

With more and more great members flooding the site, there’s a vague feeling that we may soon not have enough space for everybody. What are your thoughts on expansion? How many more teams, if we were to expand? Who do you think should get the chance to lead an expansion team, and why?

Well first of its great we are getting more and more people coming in. I think expansion would be great with how many people there are. As you dont want to have people stuck in the SMJHL for a long time when they are very capable of playing in the SHL. This the tough part of knowing how many teams there should be in the expansion. I think it would have to depend on how many people there really are and judge how many might go inactive. If you were to go the safer route, I think that one team would probably be best just like how the NHL did it. I honestly dont know who should lead an expansion team. I would pick someone with good relationships and someone that knows what they are doing.

[Image: vikian.gif]

Quote:- With more and more great members flooding the site, there’s a vague feeling that we may soon not have enough space for everybody. What are your thoughts on expansion? How many more teams, if we were to expand? Who do you think should get the chance to lead an expansion team, and why?
I don't really know if we're in a position to consider expansion right now. I don't really know how many active members we're at. If we need to do it again, I hope we don't expand both leagues at the same time again. It seemed like too much last time. Adding 2 teams to the SHL would be enough for a start, then if needed, we could do 2 to the SMJHL a few seasons later.

[Image: RichSHL.gif]
Thanks to sulovilen for the sigs!
Adam Prpich Portal Link

Check out past episodes of Rich and Luke!

This past SMJHL draft was definitely nuts with how many new players we had. I could definitely see expansion coming soon if there are a few more drafts like that.

[Image: 46ecRW0.gif]

[Image: 5cVzKxa.png][Image: gs89eGV.png][Image: LWLEHdF.png]

As far as expansion goes, I hope the HO is taking all the numbers into full consideration and working out how many players 'extra' it would take to create an expansion. Personally I feel like doing 1 team to start would be the wisest decision, and some league wide voting to help at least narrow down some selections (logo - location etc) as to best create a new team partially accepted by the league than something outrageous and out of place.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

For me, the most important thing out of the new HO personnel is transparency, since that’s probably what has caused the most tension between HO and the rest of the site lately. I trust the people currently there in that regard, though. I think the new hire was good, and I think the people currently on HO can push the site towards positive progress. Hope I can say the same for the filling of the position still hiring Tongue

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

- The standings are looking a bit unusual. What’s been the biggest surprise for you so far this season (good/bad), and do you think that trend will change or revert before the end of the season?
STHS is so random sometimes, and weird sims compile with how we do daily sims. I got no problem with it, but if you had told me that Texas and SFP were gonna contend for a playoff spot this season and WPG might miss, I would have called you crazy.
- With more and more great members flooding the site, there’s a vague feeling that we may soon not have enough space for everybody. What are your thoughts on expansion? How many more teams, if we were to expand? Who do you think should get the chance to lead an expansion team, and why?
I mean I think that it's inevitable that expansion will happen soon but I think that it's important to not expand too fast. I think we need to get to a point where we have enough members to support two expansion teams, as a way to balance out the conferences cause odd number conferences will drive me crazy. Chicago and Philly are the obvious picks. I'm sure Chicago will get ignored for Boise, ID or something.
- Who are your early award predictions? Are there any players you’re expecting to make a late-season push?
@karey for Richan (hurts to say cause I just wanna win something)

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]