Create Account

A qualitative look at the MVP race
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2019, 03:37 PM by LarksTongue. Edit Reason: Rookie )

A Qualitative look at the MVP race (1650 Words)

With the massive draft this year it might be the most exciting time in SMJHL history with hot competition for rookie awards. Many players rose above this season with stand out seasons. Here is a look at each teams Most Valuable Player according to the value they have to their TEAM not the value across the league.

I would like to start off stating my primary metric for determining value is how many times a player got a Three Star.

10th Lethbridge Lions: 33 Pts  Lions

Coming up last is the extremely young Lethbridge Lions. As mentioned in an earlier article the Lions are one of the youngest teams in the league. Leading the way with First stars is 2nd line center, rookie Monkey D. Luffy who got the first star 3 times. A total of 6 three stars came his way. He also came out with 31 points. Also with 3 first star votes is Lions rookie goalie; Patrice Nadeau. Nadeau faced more shots than any goalie this season despite not playing the most minutes in the league. However despite these outstanding rookie performances veteran Roger Baston played well all season. Leading the team in points and 2nd in time on ice. He got first star 2 times with a total 6 three star votes. With his 13 more points than the next player on the Lions it is hard not to give it to Baston.

Lions MVP: C - Roger Baston - 25 G 44 P, 22:05 ATOI, 2 1st Stars

9th Halifax Raiders: 39 Pts  raiders

Next up is the equally as young Raiders. Leading the way by a landslide with 6 first star votes is rookie Matt Kholin. Kholin is the 2nd line center for the Raiders. Kholin had 32 points this season. Good for 4th on the team. However Kholin might be the definition of clutch with 4 GWG and 1 GTG. 33% of his goals were huge goals. Despite other teammates scoring more or playing more Kholin shows up when it matters most. Look out for him in the playoffs. Honorable mention goes out to Mikael Choybuk with his team leading 19 goals. Dominic Montgomery also brings a case for MVP with his consistent defensive play.

Raiders MVP: C - Matt Kholin ® - 15 G 32 P, 4 GWG, 6 First Stars

8th Anaheim Outlaws: 42 Pts  Outlaws

My first unanimous decision for MVP comes to the Outlaws. 2nd Line Center; Derek Bohne. Bohn led the way for the Outlaws offensively with 42 points in 42 games since his trade from Montreal to Anaheim. Bohne got first star 7 Times! And a star a total of 13 times. Greater than 1/5th of their games! Rocking a 52% faceoff playing over 20 minutes a game on all sides of the ice he is the definition of a leader.

Outlaws MVP: C - Derek Bohne - 17 G 42 P (In 42 GP With Anaheim), 20:30 ATOI, 7 1st Stars

7th Colorado Raptors: 49 Pts  Raptors

The Raptors have had trouble scoring like many teams in the SMJHL throughout the season. Our first d-man comes into play for the MVP race. Leading the way for the Raptors is top left defenseman; Cassius Darrow. Darrow had 39 points good for the most on the team as a defenseman that his a noticeable achievement. Darrow led the team on time on ice as well. With a + 12 on a team with a goal differential of -9. Should be in the race for best defenseman this year. Honorable mention goes to leading goal scorer Alexander Selich who had 17 goals and 3 1st Stars.

Raptors MVP: LD - Cassius Darrow - 33 A 39 P, 22:30 ATOI. + 12, 63 SB, 1 1st Star

6th  St Louis Scarecrows: 57 Pts  Scarecrows

The Scarecrows have a likely the deepest offensive team in the league with 160 goals for and no player over a point per game! It was hard to pinpoint the MVP of this team. For me it came down between 1st line RW Nicolas Fleming, and 2nd RW Bernard Freeman. Almost equal in production both also played a more disciplined game compared to their teammates. This is a tough decision.

Freeman had the most star votes with 10 star votes and 5 1st star votes. Freeman lead the team in points with 42 and PP time. Fleming on the other hand lead the team in goals with 20 and lead the team in GWG with 4. Playing more minutes than Freeman and with a team high accuracy of 15% and a higher +/- than Freeman. Honorable mention goes to goalie Aleister Cain who played very well this season with 5 first stars and with a larger sample size might have been in the discussion more.

I leave it to you guys to determine who was more valuable to the Scarecrows.

Scarecrows MVP: RW - Nicolas Fleming - 20 G 40 P, 20:45 ATOI, 4 GWG, 2 GTG, 3 1st Stars
                              RW - Bernard Freeman - 19 G 42 P, 19:35 ATOI, 5 1st Stars

5th Montreal Milita: 60 Pts  Militia

This one is really between two players. Willie Mack had 25 goals good for 3rd place in the league. 3 GWG and 6 first stars he played very well all season leading the Militias offense. He has 7 more goals than the next player on the Militia. Mack lead the tam in points had only one minor penalty, + 14, 19% shooting. A sniper through and through. All while only playing 17 minutes a game.

The militia are a shot suppression team thriving on limiting high scoring chances. Goaltender Petr Vrana is at the center of the system. Vrana had 25 wins this season good for 3rd place in the league. He faced 15 penalty shots and saved .933 % of them. He is top 5 in all goalie categories and was tied for 1st in shutouts. Vrana started in 86% of the Militas wins on a team with a (-) goal differential. Vrana got 1st star 4 times. Another tough choice for me. But Mack carried the Milita hard offensively.

Milita MVP: LW- Willie Mack - 25 G 46 P, +12, 19.53 Sht%, 3 GWG, 2 GTG, 17:50 ATOI, 6 1st Stars

4th Vancouver Whalers: 62 Pts  Whalers

A high flying team where the first line almost scores at will. It is getting harder to determine the MVP’s now. On the surface it looks hard however only one player had more than 4 first star votes. Coming in with an obnoxious 8 1st stars, is the leagues 2nd leading goal scorer; RW - Jack Kennedy. A disciplined player as well with only 10 PIM. He had a total of 16 three star votes. 26 Goals with 6 GWG, 3 more than the next player, this is not even close.

Whalers MVP: RW - Jack Kennedy - 26 G 60 P, +12, 20:00 ATOI, 8 1st Stars, 6 GWG

3rd Kelowna Knights: 62 Pts  Knights

Now here is a 3 way toss up. The wwo point leaders are both on the Knights. Leading in goals is LW- Nolan Sawchuk. Leading in points is C Nickolas Klaus. It could go to anyone when looking at production. They also have leading offensive defensemen; Sanyi Kocsis who deserves a mention. However Klaus had 8 first star votes to Sawchuks 4. Sawchuk had 6 GWG, however I can’t deny the 8 first star votes for Klaus. Others might think differently.

Knights MVP: C - Nickolas Klaus - 23 G 69 P, +13, 20:45 ATOI, 8 1st Stars,  4 GWG

2nd Anchorage Armada: 62 Pts  Armada

Defense wins championships. Armada lives by this mantra with the lowest goals against. Peter Larson enough said. 1st in GAA, Sv %, Shutouts, and 4th in wins with 24 despite playing less games than the other top 5 goalies in wins. Larson did not even appear on the most losses list. Larson should run away with the rookie title too.

Armada MVP: G - Peter Larson ®- 42 GP 24 W, .898 Sv%, 2.33 GAA, 3 SO

1st Detroit Falcons: 62 Pts (1 more win than Armada)  Falcons

Detroit is a very balanced team that plays a balanced attack with no players at a point per game. However leading the way is, LW David Fantobens. Fantobens tied for 4th in the league with 24 goals with 8 of those being game winners. Also led his team in points by 8. He had an outstanding +20 that is tied for the league lead with Johnny Sins. An all around elite player that led his team with a league high 9 1st stars. To me this is a no brainer.

Falcons MVP: LW - David Fantobens - 24 G 46 P, +20, 8 GWG, 18:53 ATOI, 54 Hits, 9 1st Stars

Summary:

Lions MVP: C - Roger Baston - 25 G 44 P, 22:05 ATOI, 2 1st Stars

Raiders MVP: C - Matt Kholin ® - 15 G 32 P, 4 GWG, 6 First Stars

Outlaws MVP: C - Derek Bohne - 17 G 42 P (In 42 GP With Anaheim), 20:30 ATOI, 7 1st Stars

Raptors MVP: LD - Cassius Darrow - 33 A 39 P, 22:30 ATOI. + 12, 63 SB, 1 1st Star

Scarecrows MVP: RW - Nicolas Fleming - 20 G 40 P, 20:45 ATOI, 4 GWG, 2 GTG, 3 1st Stars
                              RW - Bernard Freeman - 19 G 42 P, 19:35 ATOI, 5 1st Stars

Milita MVP: LW- Willie Mack - 25 G 46 P, +12, 19.53 Sht%, 3 GWG, 2 GTG, 17:50 ATOI, 6 1st Stars

Whalers MVP: RW - Jack Kennedy - 26 G 60 P, +12, 20:00 ATOI, 8 1st Stars, 6 GWG

Knights MVP: C - Nickolas Klaus - 23 G 69 P, +13, 20:45 ATOI, 8 1st Stars,  4 GWG

Armada MVP: G - Peter Larson ® - 42 GP 24 W, .898 Sv%, 2.33 GAA, 3 SO

Falcons MVP: LW - David Fantobens - 24 G 46 P, +20, 8 GWG, 18:53 ATOI, 54 Hits, 9 1st Stars

[Image: shepard.png][Image: giphy.gif][Image: TFOzBaZ.gif]

Thanks to @FlappyGiraffe and @ToeDragon84 for the making these sick sigs!

Quote:                            First Goal (3rd Game): Commander Shepard 1 (Nick Brain 1, Noah Gallagher 2) at 8:48

looks like scarecrows are in the lead so far in this race

[Image: l1tpVum.png]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Cool take with the stars per team look!

I love that Matt is the only rookie  raiders raiders raiders

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

01-24-2019, 05:09 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Cool take with the stars per team look!

not the only rookie ;-)  Armada

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

01-24-2019, 05:24 PMTomasnz Wrote:
01-24-2019, 05:09 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: Cool take with the stars per team look!

You didn't get your R in the summary!  But I should remember my prospect tournament goalie big yikes...

01-24-2019, 05:27 PMslothfacekilla Wrote:
01-24-2019, 05:24 PMTomasnz Wrote: not the only rookie ;-)  Armada

You didn't get your R in the summary!  But I should remember my prospect tournament goalie big yikes...

GO LIONS!!!!  Heart

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

While Saw and Kosher have both been stellar for the Knights, Santa defo gets my vote boys.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Too bad our first round pick is nowhere on the list

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

01-24-2019, 06:17 PMKalakar Wrote:

Too bad our first round pick is nowhere on the list

Troy is too good for awards

01-24-2019, 05:58 PMTomasnz Wrote:
01-24-2019, 05:27 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: You didn't get your R in the summary!  But I should remember my prospect tournament goalie big yikes...

GO LIONS!!!!  Heart

Lions Lions  @Tomasnz @slothfacekilla

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

01-24-2019, 05:24 PMTomasnz Wrote:

A little editing mistake there my bad.

[Image: shepard.png][Image: giphy.gif][Image: TFOzBaZ.gif]

Thanks to @FlappyGiraffe and @ToeDragon84 for the making these sick sigs!

Quote:                            First Goal (3rd Game): Commander Shepard 1 (Nick Brain 1, Noah Gallagher 2) at 8:48