Create Account

Scout Ranking: TEPI%
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM by Sami.)

Sami Raanta’s All-TPE Scout Rankings

Reading Julio Tokolosh’s Draft Rankings and how he included words and jobs which heavily favored longtime members, I thought about a way to rank this year’s draft class in a way that is able to gauge the talent of all members of this year’s draft class equally. And after I thought about it long and hard, in the end it is TPE that separates the good players from the bad. And so I want to introduce my All-TPE Scout Rankings to you. And it works like this:

First, I needed a cutoff point. I took the SMJHL Entry Draft. Everything that happened before didn’t matter for these rankings but everything that happened after did. So these are the things I took into consideration:

Training Camp (because it can be done after the draft)
Activity Check #252
Weekly Training until 3/3
Activity Check #253
Weekly Training until 10/3
PT #1
PT #2
Post Game Show (I know this can be done later but if you already did it, you’re already helping your team so it matters for these rankings. I only looked at the Claim thread here)

It’s important to understand that for these rankings, it doesn’t matter how many TPE you gained while doing these things. So for example, if you chose to do the cheap Weekly Training, it doesn’t matter for these rankings. Or it isn’t the focal point I was looking at. The only thing that matters is that you participated. And this is called the TPE-Events Participation Indicator, short TEPI. And for comparison’s sake, it is a percentage. 

When I said, TPE don't matter, I didn’t tell the complete truth. TPE always matter. And for these rankings, TPE is the tiebraker. So if two guys have a 100% TEPI%, the total amount of TPE helps to break this tie.

There are two or three people who joined after the draft who didn’t have the chance to participate in all of the events. They’re still included as long as they were able to participate in 50% of the events, so in this case 4 of 8. 
You have to understand that these rankings aren’t perfect. People could be on vacation or there could be other things going on in Real Life that are hindering them on participating more. These rankings also don’t include forum or discord activity. It is only looking at TPE and the participation in TPE-related events. 

And it is very important that this first edition isn’t particularly meaningful because we are talking about eight events. Missing one or two events puts you in the middle of the pack although you have a lot of TPE. These ranking WILL get more meaningful with time. 

So have fun.

T-66th – Dmitri Dergachyov - Scarecrows – G
0 TEPI%
155 TPE

T-66th – Gavin Francisco – Falcons – LW
0 TEPI%
155 TPE

T-66th – Gustav Steen – Outlaws – D
0 TEPI%
155 TPE

T-66th – John Blouch – Outlaws – G
0 TEPI%
155 TPE

T-66th – Taylor Lights – Armada – D
0 TEPI%
155 TPE

65th – Brolias Hawking – Scarecrows – C
0 TEPI%
156 TPE

T-62nd – Caladan Brood – Falcons – D
0 TEPI%
158 TPE

T-62nd – Kobe Krisp – raiders – RW
0 TEPI%
158 TPE

T-62nd – Savoli Tankovic – Falcons – RW
0 TEPI%
158 TPE

T-58th – Colby Weeds – Raptors – LW
0 TEPI%
159 TPE

T-58th – Dawson Kennedy – Armada – LW
0 TEPI%
159 TPE

T-58th – Genghis Con – Whalers – D
0 TEPI%
159 TPE

T-58th – Isaiah Reece – raiders – C
0 TEPI%
159 TPE

57th – Dirk Von Grimmelshausen – Militia – D
0 TEPI%
165 TPE

56th – Patrick Muller – Armada – LW
0 TEPI%
170 TPE

55th – Duke Nukemstein – Raptors – LW
12,5 TEPI%
165 TPE

54th – Sami Votto – Knights – LW
12,5 TEPI%
182 TPE

53rd – Lex Peters – Falcons – C
25 TEPI%
184 TPE

52nd – Aleister Crowley – Whalers – LW
50 TEPI%
169 TPE

51st – Ja’Aj Coltus-Wagg – Raptors – C
50 TEPI%
193 TPE

50th – Luke Derion – Falcons – G
50 TEPI%
196 TPE

49th – Boruvka  Banananak – Lions – RW
50 TEPI%
215 TPE

NOTE: One of the members where the TEPI% doesn’t reflect the possible activity. Solid total TPE but only participated in 4 of possible 8 events after the draft. Time will tell more of the story here. Still a bit disappointing for a 2nd rounder.

48th – Jules L’Eclair – Lions – RW
50 TEPI%
216 TPE

NOTE: Pretty much the same here. Interesting though because a lot of people had him higher in their mocks, but he went in the 4th round. The GM’s probably knew more here.

47th – Jay Boom’Boom – Lions – D
62,5 TEPI%
181 TPE

46th – Joshua Maugher – Falcons – D
62,5 TEPI%
189 TPE

45th – Josef Kubinec – raiders – LW
62,5% TEPI%
190 TPE

44th – Igor Volkov – Whalers – D
71 TEPI%
179 TPE

NOTE: This is a newer member. He wasn’t eligible to do PT #1 and so only 7 Events were taken into into consideration for him. Just the first example why TEPI% helps to evaluate activity in TPE earning.

43rd – Jake Peralta – Raptors – C
75 TEPI%
194 TPE

42nd – Mattie Brunton – Scarecrows – D
75 TEPI%
204 TPE

NOTE: One of the newer members who didn’t have the chance to earn TPE before the draft. TEPI% helps.

41st – Gunnar Petrov – Outlaws – LW
75 TEPI%
220 TPE

40th – Seemu Telanne – Outlaws – RW
75 TEPI%
230 TPE

NOTE: One shocker right here. But context is important here. Telanne missed one PT opportunity and didn’t participate in the PGS yet (at least not in the Claim thread). It’s just that the rest of this draft class is crazy active.

39th - Akashi SixNine – Raptors – D
75 TEPI%
235 TPE

NOTE: See Seemu Telanne. I expect him to be at the top of the list at the end of this season.

38th – Dale Miller – Whalers – LW
80 TEPI%
177 TPE

NOTE: This is where TEPI% will be questioned heavily I guess. Someone with only 177 TPE ahead of Seemu Telanne and Akashi SixNine with 230 and 235 TPE respectively. But it is a tool to help gauge activity and tries to treat every player equally. And this needs some time and sample size. So give it some time. Dale Miller came into the league just a few days ago and did 4 of 5 possible TPE events. He wouldn’t be acknowledged with his TPE amount but now he is.

37th – Herry Morris IV – Militia – RW
87,5 TEPI%
186 TPE

NOTE: Now we are at a point where the following guys only missed one TPE Event. Total TPE is now very important. But honestly, I am thrilled to look at this list in 2-3 weeks.

36th – Joe Ackroyd – Whalers – D
87,5 TEPI%
188 TPE

35th - Ender Zavala – raiders – D
87,5 TEPI%
193 TPE

34th – Jason Kruger – Raptors – D
87,5 TEPI%
197 TPE

33rd – Noah Gallagher – Scarecrows – LW
87,5 TEPI%
201 TPE

32nd – Spencer MacLean – Armada – C
87,5 TEPI%
207 TPE

31st – Miikka Salo – Falcons – D
87,% TEPI%
208 TPE

30th – Wibbly McButternutz – Falcons – D
87,5 TEPI%
210 TPE

29th – Alexander Andersson-Grande – Knights – G
87,5 TEPI%
218 TPE

28th – Jaguar Johnson – raiders – LW
87,5 TEPI%
224 TPE

T-26th – Charlie Serpe – Scarecrows – D
87,5 TEPI%
230 TPE

T-26th – Vadim Malichov – Knights – C
87,5 TEPI%
230 TPE

25th – Joseph Laraque – raiders – LW
87,5 TEPI%
232 TPE

24th – Isaac Yamada – Scarecrows – D
87,5 TEPI%
234 TPE

23rd – Thomas Bathory – Lions – D
87,5 TEPI%
243 TPE

NOTE: Oh man, I know, big shocker here. This guy is TOP 5, probably Top 3. The only thing he didn’t do so far is PGS and when he does, he will be at the very top of the list. 

22nd – Josh Driver – Falcons – C
100 TEPI%
200 TPE

NOTE: One of the guys this list is for. Came into the league later and didn’t have as many opportnunities to gain TPE as other guys. Did everything he could so far. Wouldn’t play a role in a „normal“ TPE list.

21st - Przemyslaw Brzeszczyczklewicz – Falcons – LW
100 TEPI%
208 TPE

20th – Sacha Selman – Outlaws – LW
100 TEPI%
212 TPE

19th – Theo Morgan – Whalers – RW
100 TEPI%
213 TPE

NOTE: See Josh Driver. Same exact thing here. 

18th – Slap McShotty – Outlaws – C
100 TEPI%
214 TPE

17th – Harry Carpet – Lions – G
100 TEPI%
222 TPE

16th – Juulius Smonk – Raptors – LW
100 TEPI%
226 TPE

T-14th – Eko van Otter – Armada – LW
100 TEPI%
227 TPE

T-14th – Tony Ford – Armada – D
100 TEPI%
227 TPE

NOTE: The Armada Brothers van Otter and Ford. Should hopefully be drafted by the same team.

13th – Aaron Wilson – Whalers – C
100 TEPI%
229 TPE

12th – Esa Parmborg – raiders – C
100 TEPI%
230 TPE

11th – Austin Roenick – Lions – RW
100 TEPI%
231 TPE

10th – Marc Hagan – Militia – C
100 TEPI%
234 TPE

T-8th – Jax Duggan – Whalers – D
100 TEPI%
235 TPE

T-8th – Sami Raanta – Whalers – C
100 TEPI%
235 TPE

7th – Julio Tokolosh – Raptors – RW
100 TEPI%
236 TPE

T-4th – Corey Kennedy – Outlaws – D
100 TEPI%
237 TPE

T-4th – Cullen Gray – Whalers – LW
100 TEPI%
237 TPE

T-4th – Espen Knutsen Jr. – Falcons – C
100 TEPI%
237 TPE

3rd – Gunnar Söderberg – Knights – RW
100 TEPI%
239 TPE

2nd – Martijn Westbroek – Outlaws – C
100 TEPI%
241 TPE

1st – Filip Zadina – Scarecrows – RW
100 TEPI%
252 TPE

I am looking forward to the next edition. 

(~1600 words + Research) 

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

Good shit Sami, Whalers

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Gj man!

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Great article bud

@FourFour sux

Former
SHL Head Commissioner S12ish-S27ish
GM Dragons S8 & S9 (Won cups both years)
2x GM Of The Year
5 Time Cup Winner
League MVP

Past Players
[Image: HOF2.png] D - Aidan Richan - [Image: HOF2.png] (S5 11th Overall) Dragons
[Image: HOF2.png] C - Chico Salmon - [Image: HOF2.png] (S17 1st overall)  Renegades

Current Player
D - Chico Smeb (S46)

SMJHL - Drafted 65th Overall by Raptors
SHL - Drafted 23rd Overall by Dragons

This is really good. Well done.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Very interesting, great job. 

However, I'm not sure if the ranking is really fair, because in the end you do take the pre-draft TPE into account. Those can vary from player to player, especially if I see this from a goalie's point of view. Buying equipment gives you extra TPE and players can buy more equipment pieces than goalies for example and consequently have the chance to get more TPE. So if you had two players that got exactly the same amount of TPE in every other category both before and after the draft (even including the mock draft) and both bought the best equipment available, the player would still rank higher than the goalie. Or did I miss something? If I did, please correct me.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM by Sami.)

03-11-2019, 09:01 AMCarpy48 Wrote: Very interesting, great job. 

However, I'm not sure if the ranking is really fair, because in the end you do take the pre-draft TPE into account. Those can vary from player to player, especially if I see this from a goalie's point of view. Buying equipment gives you extra TPE and players can buy more equipment pieces than goalies for example and consequently have the chance to get more TPE. So if you had two players that got exactly the same amount of TPE in every other category both before and after the draft (even including the mock draft) and both bought the best equipment available, the player would still rank higher than the goalie. Or did I miss something? If I did, please correct me.

You're right. This is why TEPI% is the stat that counts and TPE only the Tiebreaker. That's mostly because I am lazy and didn't want to check other things such as money made after the draft or jobs or something. These things could always be better but it's not tracked very well and thus a lot of work. 

Still, separate lists of skaters and goalie makes sense, will do that for next week.

[Image: jHIZWUN.png]

Nice man! Always love seeing these kinds of rankings and appreciate the work that goes into them.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

Love all the whalers on there doing well

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

Well those were things I was gonna check but couldn't be bothered. On the plus side Im only one update behind 3rd in the draft class. Thanks for doing the work for us...

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 11:17 AM by TnlAstatine.)

also pre draft depending on when the player is made there is just more tpe to be had. BUT great article Smile

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Love the work that goes in to an article like this. Allows us to see a different metric on how players are doing. Excellent work!

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

This is great! I'd love to see such a list for the S46 class, but that would take a lot of work, I'm sure.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

Fantastic idea and write-up altogether! Loving all the data analysis being done by S46 rookies.

THIRD PLACE this will not do I must work harder  Ahh

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .