Create Account

Sit down with Lyle Odelein III

Word count - 1257
2x media

We had the chance to sit down with the 19th overall draft pick in this years SMJHL.  One of the newest members of the reigning champions St. Louis Scarecrows.  Lyle Odelein III talks about the draft process, his new team and his future goals.

Q: Thanks for sitting down with us today Lyle, we know you’ve had a busy week and that you are focussed on getting ready for the start of S47 in the SMJHL.

A: No problem, happy to be able to have this chat.

Q: Tell us about your experience with the SMJHL entry draft this past Tuesday.  How did the days coming up to the draft feel?

A: It was a hell of an experience.  I really didn’t know what to expect.  I thought I had played well during the prospect showcase, and I felt that there were a few teams that I might be able to help out if I got the chance.

Q: You mention the prospect showcase, what were you able to take away from that?

A: That was my first experience in any kind of SMJHL / SHL at all.  I didn’t have any idea what to expect, it was an amazing experience and I was very happy to be included.  I thought I played some solid hockey, stuck with my game plan, played some solid defense in our zone and was able to chip in offensively.  I had hoped our team had a better outcome in the playoffs, but we ran into a Vipers team that was very hard to beat.

Q: The Vipers were a very strong team during the prospect showcase, one of their top contributors is now one of your team on the Scarecrows, Mika Kandinsky, the 10th overall pick in this years draft. Tell us a bit about playing against your new teammate.

A: Mika is an unbelievable player.  He has a great game and is only going to get better.  Playing against him was a rude awakening for me in the showcase, I told myself, if this was the level of talent I was going to be up against, I would need to step up my game.  Now having Mika as a teammate, I’ll be able to grow along with him, it’s nice for a defender to be able to learn with and from, a great center like Mika.  And now having spent some time with Mika, I can say he is a pretty great guy.  He is focused on the team succeeding this season, which is exactly what I’m aiming on doing as well.

Q: Your new team succeeding is not all that new.  The St.Louis Scarecrows have won the title 3 years running, and are looking to add another title this year.  How did it feel seeing your name beside the Crows logo at the draft.

A: I couldn’t believe it, I really couldn’t.  To be able to join this team, right after they won their third straight championship, it’s an amazing feeling.  I really didn’t know where I was going to be going at the draft.  I had spoken with a handful of teams in the days prior to the draft, so I knew that there was at least some interest.  Like I said earlier, I felt that I showed what I could offer during the showcase, I still had no idea on where I would land though.  I would have been happy to join any team, but being able to put on the Crows jersey is just going to be an awesome feeling.

Q: How have the first few days as a Crow been so far?

A: Amazing. Right after I was selected on Tuesday night, I was able to drop by the Crows locker room.  I was blown away be the welcome I received.  Along with Mika, and my other draft teammate, Izem Abioye we have been able to walk onto this team, and immediately feel like we’ve been here for years.

Q: You spoke earlier about Mika, tell us a bit about Izem, the 39th overall pick of this years draft.

A: I didn’t get the chance to play against or meet Izem before we joined St. Louis.  After meeting him though, I can honestly say that he really is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet.  He is a top notch defender, and plays one of the cleanest games that I have ever seen.  I mean the dude has only had 2 PIMs in his entire career!  It’s frickin’ nuts! I really am happy to be able to call him a teammate and can’t wait to get on the ice with him.

Q: That sounds like the Crows have a solid rookie group joining a very established team that should be a top contender again this season.  How is the feeling in the locker room?

A: The locker room has an amazing feeling.  After being welcomed with open arms after the draft, all of Crows were so willing to help us with all of our questions and were really able to help us ease into the SMJHL.  This is a very solid team both on and off the ice.  I’ve had the chance to spend team with some of my teammates, GMs and some of our alumni.  It is a really tight knit group and I can’t wait to start showing them what I can do.  I feel that we can really do some damage this year, I can’t wait to get this title defense underway.

Q: It sounds like you and your team is ready to get this season underway, other than winning for a fourth consecutive championship do you have any other goals for this year?

A: Winning with this team is definitely the ultimate goal.  I want to be able to help do that in any way possible.  I’ve been chatting with some of our veterans and alumni to see how I can do that, they have been very helpful there, I now have goals set to make me a better player, which hopefully will help the Crows continue their winning ways.  I know that I still have a whole lot to learn and that I’ll need to work hard everyday to try and meet these goals, but I fell that I have the team and support to be able to get there.  

Q: Well Lyle, I think that about wraps up our time today, anything else you’d like to add?

A: I just want to say thanks.  Thanks to the SMJHL / SHL as a whole for having set this league up.  Thanks to everyone who offered help and kind words coming up to the draft, I really appreciated it and may not have been in this position right now if you hadn’t have reached out.  Thanks to my teammates on the Stingrays during the prospect show, I wish them nothing but luck this season.  But most of all, thanks the Scarecrows for picking me in the draft.  I couldn’t have asked for a better team or teammates to be able to start my career with.  It’s been an unbelievable experience so far and I can’t wait to start growing as a player and getting to play some solid hockey with an awesome group of players! GO CROWS GO!!!

Thanks for reading this exclusive interview with the St. Louis Scarecrows 2nd round draft pick, Lyle Odelein III.  Stay tuned for further interviews during this season as we showcase this rookie defender as he and the Crows mount yet another championship defense.

Ilike

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Scarecrows Scarecrows Scarecrows

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]