Create Account

S47 PT #5 - Cover Athlete
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM by karlssens.)

While there are plenty of worthy nominees across the league I'm going to stay inside my own locker room and recommend our top defender and point production player, Brady McIntyre. Since entering the league in S41 he has transformed in to a lethal blueliner capable of taking over a game on any given night. Finishing the S46 regular season with a team leading 51 points he set new career highs in goals (12), assists (39), points (51), PIMs (46), hits (127), shot blocks (77) and power play points (19). Winner of the Richan award in S44 he has compiled a strong case for the Stevens award here in S47 and at the very least is worthy of a nomination. Off the ice he's an equally tremendous asset and overall delight in the locker room and is a great representation of what this league has to offer beyond just a daily sim experience. @caltroit_red_flames

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

The choice for the cover athlete is an easy one for me, I am going to have to go with Tommy Tuck. I know goalies are often not really the most celebrated players when there are goes putting up 50 points a season and skating all around with their long flowing hair. However, Tommy Tuck has been a staple in Edmonton for many seasons and during his tenure has won over the hearts of many fans of the game. Furthermore is personal accolades are quite respectable as he has achieved a league MVP, leaguewide best goalie, as well as championships in both the SMJHL and SHL. His appeal is even more significant after the incredible performance that really put him in the spot light in his first IIHF tournament with team Norway where the team was able to achieve a medal largely due to his incredible performance. If an MVP caliber player with international appeal is not enough to get him on the cover consider the fact that he is such a large man he would take up the whole cover and I think it is an easy choice. @Muford

[Image: TorTuck.gif]
[Image: sAx3Llh.jpg]

Okay, picture this. It's a fan vote for who gets on the cover. Do you remember the year that John Scott was voted All-Star captain? Big meme campaigns and such and even the league trying to block it. What if a similar thing happened in the SHL for this cover vote? Who would be the perfect unexpected cover player?

Dakota Reid, of course.

Imagine: Billboards allover San Francisco to vote for Koda. The San Francisco Pride would absolutely be all over marketing their Mama Bear to the world as the next cover player winner. In Montreal, some Militia fans even put together their own money to get a billboard there. Even in Chicago, Koda's hometown, a flyer campaign on the South Side to get people to vote and support the Queen of Chaos.

Koda has played in the SHL for years and it would just be reall cool to finally see her get some respect from the rest of the league.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

There are so many great players to nominate to be the cover model for the new NHL game by EA. But my choice goes to none other than the man himself: Cassius Darrow @hhh81 
He may be on the 2nd or 3rd pairing up in Buffalo with the Stampede. But his contributions to the game should make him a household name (rhyme). From dominating the SMJHL last season in most defensive stats, to logging solid minutes in the SHL this year, he has always been a great contributor. Darrow really shines off the ice. A true mentor to all in the Colorado Raptors organization, helping out anyone with any kind of extra training or advice possible, pretty much at any time during the day (or night).
I know he helped save Ja'Aj Coitus-Wagg from quitting the game all together - and am sure he has done the same for countless others.
Keep rockin' Cassius, you'll be on the cover in no time!

If I had to choose the cover athlete to represent the SMJHL I'd have to choose Osbert Whacker @BWIII .  I mean just look at him, the first thing you notice is just how down right photogenic the dude is, easily tops of the SMJHL, but aside from that, Whacker would sell copies of a somewhat dead game like hotcakes.  He has that name recognition you'd expect from a cover athlete, and being on Team Japan in the IIHF he has that global appeal as well.  For those in the fantasy hockey realm he even dominated the SMJHL section of that, but up more points and being more valuable to fantasy owners than any other player.  Sure defensive players aren't always that popular choice to go with, but the way that Osbert has been playing down in the SMJHL he's kind of brought it back into focus and making people take notice.  Sure he doesn't always do the greatest of jobs defensively, but it's a new age with Ritalin infested chubby cheeked video game playing and video game watching kids that don't care about defense, it's all about that sweet offensive firepower.  Basically it comes down two key factors, exposure and recognition and Whacker gives both that that is needed to sell this game.

[Image: wHACKER.png]

Alright, let's be honest here, EA needs someone who is recognizable, flashy, highlight heavy. Someone who can really move the needle and has a big fanbase already. If we're being honest, what bigger fanbase is there than New York City? Think about the announcement, putting on a big show in the middle of the city with thousands upon thousands there to see. You could make money on just announcing the cover athlete alone in New York.

So who is a flashy player for them to use? The obvious answer would probably be Luke Thomason, who has been a great goal scorer in his time. Or James Dekens with his snipe show. Maybe we even put Craig Finley on the cover considering his meteoric rise as the best up-and-coming offensive defenseman in the league who has been putting up incredible numbers. All of them make complete sense, however, none of them are the right answer.

Reginald Rove, @Yurt6, is the right answer. This is somebody who has been through the ringer in Manhattan, and has come out on the other side helping to lead this team to the promised land. He is an unstoppable force who is now among the top-15 all-time scorers in Rage history and is only getting better and better. The best player on the Rage, he is to say the very least, a god among the community who has done so much for the city that the city would flood with tears of joy if he is to ever raise the Challenge Cup. Give him the honor, as he's the grassroots kid who has worked his way to being one of the best the SHL has to offer.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Is that even a question? It's gotta be god damn Charlie mother fucking Serpe @Serpe x 13.  This guy is god's gift to D men, 5 foot, 11 inches of pure steel.

Defense, he's got that.

Passing, you know he's got that.

He'll skate up on you, block that shot, boom he's scored.

Let's look at his rookie season: 20 points, +0, 40 blocks in 19 AMG.  I was on the ice with him that season, my 3rd season, and got 40 blocks with an extra 100 minutes total.  My rookie season was 10 points, -2, 32 blocks.
This mad man went on to get 33 points, +15, 75 blocks in his sophomore season.  I "improved" to 18 points, +2, 39 blocks and I went on to have a pretty big role on the blue line of the best SMJHL team.  This boy is carrying on that torch, and for that you gotta put him on the cover.  Recognize the Crows, Recognize Lord Serpe the 13th

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

After a two week period of fan voting it was decided that the next cover athlete of the S48 SHL game should be: Otis B. Driftwood. As a defenseman for the Calgary Dragons he was the second highest scoring defenseman in the league and lead the team in scoring. Coming in with 7 goals and league leading 46 assists he was for many an obvious choice to feature this years cover. Otis B. Driftwood managed almost 25 minutes of icetime throughout the season and finished with a very good +17. Not only is Otis B. Driftwood an elite SHL player, but some also see him as the face of the franchise now that Esa Anrikkanen has retired a season ago. It’s not often that we see a defenseman on the cover of the SHL game, but this year the fans of the Calgary Dragons think it’s time for their top defenseman to be on the cover. I also believe it would increase sales of the game by at least 10%.

@Slappydoodle

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

For my SMJHL 48 cover I wanted to be a bit unconventional and take 3 cover athletes. I want to represent Forwards, Defense, and Goalies with each getting a spot on the cover.

For Forward, I would put my own player Collin Gibbles. Gibbles has had 3 great seasons with the Anaheim Outlaws putting up impressive numbers. He has evolved into one of the best shots in the league and doesn't skimp on making his teammates shine as well.

For Defense, I would put fellow Outlaw and Minnesota prospect Mathias Seger(@Segi ). Seger has a hugely physical game in the SMJHL. They are often in the top 3 for minutes played and the top 10 for PIM. They are a face that will be familiar to many fans. Seger also manages to add a good offensive contribution on the scoreboard.

For Goalies, I would put fellow Minnesota prospect Casmir Stevens(@Daco ). Stevens is the star goalie for Vancouver and is currently leading them on an impressive playoff run. They embody top play of their position across the league and are someone that fans would appreciate seeing represented.

I also chose these 3 players because they also hold off ice roles as well as CoGM of Anaheim, SMJHL HO Member, and CoGM of Minnesota respectively. I would have the cover be the 3 players in action with a silhouette of them in a suit from their off ice job.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

My pick for this year's cover athlete would have to go to Mikhail Lokitonov @ml002. Lokitonov is a star in his prime, excelling in all facets of the game, and most importantly earned me a butt ton of fantasy points last season to help me win my group. He broke the point per game mark for the first time in his career in his most recent 21 goal, 40 assist season, which was good for 2nd in the league in points. Lokitonov's game has grown stronger season over season, and has become a physical power house recently with a triple digit hit season. His move to the faceoff a couple seasons ago also gives EA a great opportunity to make the cover a high intensity faceoff shot, something they've never tried and really should to identify with all the young centers out there. Finally, he plays in Toronto, a huge hockey market that will certainly provide a healthy boost in game sales.

[Image: On57CfR.gif]
  Knights Usa Stampede Patriotes Inferno Argonauts Aurora Renegades Stampede   

Being selected as the cover athlete for a video game can be seen as both a blessing and a curse. Thus, the decision of picking a cover athlete is a tough and crucial one. Therefore, my pick for cover athlete would be Alex Andani @Carbine. Andani was a rising star for many seasons. He burst onto the scene in the SMJHL with the Vancouver Whalers and was a top prospect when he was selected by the Hartford Wolf Pack of the SHL. However, recently he has struggled to find his scoring groove. This led to him being unprotected in the recent expansion draft and getting picked up by the new franchise in New Orleans. Some would have thought this move alone would spark some energy into the veteran forward, however, this was not the case. While the argument can be made that playing time is a major factor in Andani's decline, he will never admit that. Thus, I believe that being in the spotlight once again will be good fortune to Andani and hopefully reignite the scoring prowess that he once had.

[Image: 46ecRW0.gif]

[Image: 5cVzKxa.png][Image: gs89eGV.png][Image: LWLEHdF.png]

For my SHL ’48 cover athlete, I want to pick a player who represents the “new wave” of SHL stars that are starting to blossom and dominate the league. It’s pretty obvious that the perfect choice for this idea is DeMaricus Smyth of the New Orleans Specters. Smyth was electric this season in his breakout year. He lead the SHL in points with 62, Goals with 28, and he’s high up in just about every single advanced metric. He lead the Specters to the best record in the Western Conference, and if the Awards Committee doesn’t have their heads up their collective asses, he’s going to be the SHL’s MVP. Not to mention that New Orleans was recently voted to have the best looking jerseys/logo in an independent podcast, so putting that baby on the cover of the game makes a lot of sense. There’s a new group of SHL stars coming through, and DeMaricus Smyth is leading the charge for them. (162)

@Blastmeaway

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

PBE PT Claim

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

The S48 player to be adorned on the cover of SHL 48 has to be the incredible,

Viktor Marius.

Viktor Marius, and his agent Karey, are valuable and very marketable members of the site. They have the ability to win games, win awards, and sell tickets. Last season, Marius took home both the Jeff Dar award for the best two way player, showing both an aptitude for offensive production and defensive production at an elite rate. Marius also took home the coveted Khan award as Most Valuable Player voted by other players. The Khan, although popularity contest, shows the young stars appeal across the league and is deserving of the award. However, incredibly, Marius was also able to take home the Most Improved award, showing his reliennce on and off the ice. The past few seasons have been tumultuous for the young player, having had to grow up via some suspensions and tiffs with other players across the league, his stock was quite low on the ice and off. But over the past 12 months, Marius transformed himself and overcame many obstacles, rising to the occasion to help Buffalo win it's first Challenge Cup.

Fight me.