Create Account

S62 SHL Entry Draft Review - Part One

Let's look at the most recent SHL Entry Draft and see how well those picks are working out.

ROUND ONE

1. Manhattan Rage  - C Aksel Fiske
  • Current TPE - 487
  • Overall rank - 3rd
Fiske was the first overall pick by the rebuilding Manhattan Rage and spent this season in Quebec City playing for the Citadelles.  On the year, they finished with 17 goals and 25 assists, which was good enough for a personal best 42 in a season.  Fiske spent a big chunk of the offseason working on their shot and an improved shooting percentage was the most noticeable improvement from last year to this one.  They logged an impressive 9.6% shooting percentage and are poised to be one of the best young stars once they get the call to Manhattan.  Will they be the missing piece to get the Rage back on track in the near future?  Could be - definitely a very good pick for Manhattan as they begin the march back towards relevance. 

2. Winnipeg Aurora  - D Mikko Rashford
  • Current TPE - 501
  • Overall rank - 1st
Rashford was the first of a slew of first round picks by the Aurora and it looks to have been a great start to their draft.  Rashford leads all S62ers in TPE and has the makings of a franchise cornerstone on defense.  With 41 points on the season, it's clear that Mikko isn't just a one trick pony as a defender and can just about do it all on both sides of the ice for the Berserkers.  High plus/minus, 30 assists, and a noticeable improvement from last year in almost every stat category screams someone the Aurora can eventually build around in the future.  This Finnish star could end up taking home some serious hardware both as a player and for Winnipeg if they turn out the way all the experts seem to think.  Keep an eye on this potential Rookie of the Year candidate once they get the call. 

3. Seattle Argonauts - F Sconnie McHits
  • Current TPE - 476
  • Overall rank - 17th
Sconnie was taken third overall by Seattle with hopes of rejuvenating their offensive arsenal in the near future.  On the season, McHits has a solid 476 TPE and was exceptional on the ice this season for Anaheim.  24 goals, 26 assists, and a more than willing defender immediately caught the eye of scouts everywhere.  The Argonauts have to be pleased with the on-ice performance of their first selection in the S62 Entry Draft. When it comes to long term potential, the sky is the limit for this young forward.  Whether it's finding the back of then net, setting up teammates, or being a true two-way player, there's simply not a whole McHits doesn't do well.  And, as their name implies, Sconnie is not afraid to lay the lumber.  They averaged nearly a hit per game and constantly forced the opposing team to keep their heads on a swivel.

4. Winnipeg Aurora - F Spack Jarrow
  • Current TPE - 487
  • Overall rank - 3rd
After nabbing a defenseman in with their first pick, Winnipeg went on the offensive side here with Spack Jarrow. Jarrow is one of the top earners in their class and I'm sure the Aurora were thrilled to snag them at 4th overall.  On the season, they finished with 66 points with a 22:44 split between goals and assists.  Always looking to get their teammates involved, Jarrow was both a fan-favorite and one of the most popular players on the team, thanks to seemingly always setting up teammates for easy goals.  But Jarrow isn't a one-trick pony.  They logged 57 blocks and an incredible 100 hits on top of their elite offensive output.  I don't think it's too early to declare Jarrow as potentially the steal of the draft.  I mean, who doesn't love premature hyperbole?  Jarrow better clear off their trophy case - could get really crowded in the coming years.

5. Winnipeg Aurora - D Jay O'Neil
  • Current TPE - 486
  • Overall rank - 6th
Stop me if you've heard this before, but Winnipeg had another top five pick!  This time, they go back on defense and pick up Jay O'Neil, who currently plays for Newfoundland.  Yet another high earner, the Aurora look to have another long-term answer for their defense with this Berserker. On the season, O'Neil has a solid 33 points, but that's not where they make their name.  A true defenseman, Jay O'Neil strikes fear in the heart of all attacking players.  They finished this year with 90 blocks and 115 hits, and were just outside of the exclusive 100-100 club as far as defensive categories go.  What's even more impressive is how much O'Neil has progressed from last season. O'Neil had more points, more hits, more blocks, and firmly established themselves as one of the best all around defensive players in the entire league.  When they get word from Aurora about being called up, expect some instant impact from this dynamite defensive savant.

6. Montreal Patriotes - D Zayne Dangle
  • Current TPE - 481
  • Overall rank - 11th
Next up, we have Zayne Dangle who was selected by the Montreal Patriotes with the 6th overall pick in the S62 SHL Entry Draft.  Dangle had been a good earner and has shown to be as hard working off the ice as they are on the ice.  Much like the 5th pick in this draft, Jay O'Neil, Dangle is a future star defenseman who put up gaudy numbers this year in the SMJHL.  Playing for Colorado this season, Dangle posted an impressive 38 points, headlined by 24 assists.   On the other side of the ice, they were as elite as elite gets for Colorado.  89 blocks, 90 hits, and was able to shut down opposing offenses on a regular basis.  They also played a staggering 20+ minutes per game, highlighting their incredible stamina.  No matter what you ask Dangle to do, they're going to do it at a high level and with 100% effort every second of every game.  The Patriotes are truly getting a gamechanger for their defense and a player that could go down in Montreal history as one of the best to ever suit up for the Patriotes.  Just an incredible talent headed to Montreal to help build that franchise into a winner.

7. Montreal Patriotes - Ben Jammin
  • Current TPE - 493
  • Overall rank - 2nd
Do not adjust your computer screens - Montreal did in fact have back-to-back picks here!  After picking up defenseman Zayne Dangle with the sixth overall pick, they tabbed another defender, Ben Jammin from Kelowna.  Just about every mock draft had Jammin going before seventh, so you can only imagine the elation that must have been rushing through the Montreal war room when Jammin was still on the board here.  Ben is a great complement to Zayne Dangle and they will certainly be a pair to watch going forward once they get called up to Montreal.  I'm not going to say that the Patriotes drafted their long-term first defensive pairing that will lead this franchise to an eventual dynasty the likes of which we've never seen, but I'm also not not saying that.  Fantastic early picks here by Montreal, there's no doubt about it.

8. Manhattan Rage - Paul Koivu
  • Current TPE - 480
  • Overall rank - 13th
Manhattan was back on the clock here at #8 overall after starting the draft off by selecting center Aksel Fiske.  They decide to stay on the offensive side of the ice with another forward in Paul Koivu, who's currently with the Anchorage.  Koivu pulled off The Dogwood this season, which is when you finish the year with 11 goals and 29 assists, which I accomplished in my rookie season with Hamilton.  If that's not a sign that Koivu will turn into an elite prospect, then I just don't know!  All joking aside, Koivu is a top-to-bottom, all-around forward who will quickly become one of the fan favorites in Manhattan.  Whether they're called on to do the dirty work, push forward and threaten goal, or simply help facilitate the offense, Koivu can do it all. And don't forget about their 24 takeaways - lose focus for just a moment around Koivu and the puck will be headed in the opposite direction in a hurry.  All in all, this is a really good pick here for the Rage.

9. Atlanta Inferno  - F Viktor Krunk
  • Current TPE - 481
  • Overall rank - 11th
The GOAT city of the South made their first pick of the S62 draft here at 9th overall and selected winger Viktor Krunk from the Maine Timber.  As a former Mainer myself, I give this pick a perfect 100/100.  There's just something in the water in Maine that helps grow not just lush forests, but also elite SHL players.  Krunk saw a massive improvement in their yearly stats from last year to this year, with an 81% increase in points.  They also tallied 105 combined hits and blocks and proved to everyone that they're a name to watch going forward.  If you're looking for a talented forward who can do it all, look no further than Krunk, who's poised to be the next in the long line of incredible players out of the Maine Timber program.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Viktor's name being mentioned around the league as a potential Rookie of the Year candidate once they move south to Atlanta.  They're that good! 

10. Edmonton Blizzard - F Shoyo Hinata
  • Current TPE - 484
  • Overall rank - 8th
With the 10th pick in the S62 Entry Draft, Edmonton made their first selection and brought in Shoyo Hinata, a winger currently with Colorado.  Hinata is a high earner and definitely one of the best picks from a value perspective so far in the draft.  For Colorado this season, Hinata finished with 46 points, thanks to 18 goals and 28 assists.   That point total was good for fifth on the team and just showcases Hinata's ability to make an impact both by scoring and setting up other teammates with great chances to score.  Shoyo also totaled an impressive 67 blocks and an outrageous 92 hits and established themselves as one of the best two-way forwards in the entire league.  Opposing teams are forced to constantly scheme around Hinata's offensive and defensive abilities and is more than a thorn in other coaches' sides.  This Japanese national is going to be a star in the SHL - book it.

That's all for part one!  Make sure to check back soon for part two (at least)

(1,746 words)

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

Always a good read dogwood.
+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Appreciate the analysis and kind words. Go Aurora Go!

Side note - I can't remember if I said this before but your avatar is amazing.

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

2oa what a bust

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs