Create Account

S68 PT #4: Historian Due: December 18th @ 11:59 PM (PST)
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2022, 03:18 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 1 time in total.)

I could not be part of the Tampa Bay Barracuda and not talk about the time when Trella was the general manager of the team and ended up going zero wins, zero overtime losses and fifty losses. The pure defeated season. The importance of that season is that it got the players on our roster to rally behind something that was genuinely impressive when our team was towards the basement. Going defeated was something to unite us and also improve upon.  It then allowed us to then grow together and make quite a few playoff runs that were quite decent in a very hotly contested division. I still do believe that we could have had an era of dominance that was cut short due to the regression changes right at our peak. I am not sure how impressive this will be or as a record if it will ever be beaten. Even though there are now sixty-six games in a season. I am uncertain if anyone will really remember it or be a talking point for other conversations.

SSL Affiliate

[Image: crunksig2.png]

Player Prompt:

While it is still early to call anything the Montreal Patriotes have done 'historical,' as one of the youngest franchises in the League I wanted to take a look at the impact of the Season 60 Draft Class on the composition and construction of the Patriotes Organization.

The obvious first character is Stan Din'desque, the first overall pick from the Season 60 draft. Infidel served as the first GM and really laid the groundwork for the franchise to get off the ground, even going as far as to step down and trade his own player when it became more valuable to the franchise. Stans two seasons as a Patriote were deep in what may be called 'The Struggle Years,' but his impact on the locker room as the team culture is undeniable.

Next, another first round pick: Zak Wilson, one of the longest-tenured Patriotes, a multiple-year Captain, active war room member, and one of the top blueliners in the franchise for goal-suppression. Through 7 seasons with Montreal, Wilson has stood tall on the blue line, and been an unwavering locker room presence.

25th overall pick Roderic Banes, myself, has been around since the beginning. I would like to think I've made my contributions here, with Roddy B holding several all-time franchise records as a Forward, and now beginning to accumulate XP on the blue line. If nothing else, serving as Co-GM has allowed the team to carry a HTD contract for a high-TPE player.

Also selected in the 2nd round, though not a Montreal draft pick was our now-GM and fearless leader CK/Jonathon Hagan. Hagan came in to Montreal and, besides taking over as our now longest-tenured GM, and our highest point producing Defender, has also been a LR stalwart, and strategically, the primary reason that Montreal has begun to enjoy the success it has.

[Image: banes.png]

One of the things in SHL history that is fun to me is comparing the past and current SMJHL teams taht my personal players have played on.  This has been an outstanding season for the Detroit Falcons this season and it brings some similarities to it. I happened  to take some screenshots from this season when we were at the 50 game mark. Back in S53, that was an entire seasons worth of games. At the 50 game mark in S53, Detroit was 41-7-2 with 84 points and a Points % of .840. At the 50 game mark in S68, Detroit was 41-8-1 with 83 points and a Points % of .83. Just One point with with an OTL separated these two incredible teams at the 50 point mark. Now finished with the season, Detroit finished 54-11-1 with 109 points and a points % of .826. Just a small bit short of the S53 team. One thing to note between the teams is that the points differential is significantly greater now than it was back in the 50 game days. At that 50 game mark, The S53 team was +115 where the S68 team was +142. I haven't drilled down into what general caused this but its still fun to see!

[Image: topalo2.png] [Image: sig-nash.png]
[Image: Rangerjasegmailcom.gif]

[Image: PGKy3U7.png]

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

my favourite piece of sim hockey league history or should i say binko's fave piece of shl history is the fact that @honkerrs is one of the premier historians on the site and he really was a historian of the site like officially i dont remember exactly when but it was like 10 seasons ago and he really did a lot of historying and histogramming and mammogramming and personally i think thats really cool that honk would do something like that and i think @hotdog would probably agree too. my other most favourite part of the site's history is when the atlanta inferno won the challenge cup i think that was pretty cool but it was pretty recent history so not sure if it is old enough to count for this point task. one last part that i really liked was when @bilbo made us a presentation on BTS for our podcast that was kinda sick @5ympathies would definitely agree

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

My noteworthy piece of hockey information is really very recent, and revolves around the Czech former superstar Jaromir Jagr.

Nowadays, Jagr is hardly considered an active player, but when half of the Kladno team was out with the flu, the experienced champion had to get his skates out of the shed again. Earlier in the season Kladno, a Czech Extraliga club owned by the former Pittsburg Penguins legend, already had to reschedule a match due to not having enough players.

Jaromir Jagr spent a bit over fifteen minutes on the ice in what qas his first game since April. He made an immediately impact, showing he had not yet forgotten the trick. In his season debut, Jaromir Jagr contributed 2 assists on the teams 3 goals of the game.

Jagr turned 50 in February of this year. Before this game he had played in 34 seasons of professional hockey, for over 2000 games.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

To take a chance to gloat a little bit. I think a pretty interesting stat in SHL history that may not be forgotten but I believe not appreciated enough is Ireland's run in IIHF when I was the federation head in the S30s-40s. Before taking over as the federation head Ireland had 1 gold medal in it's history and had long since been irrelevant in the IIHF conversation. Thanks to so many amazing users who trusted transferring in and believing in a vision for the country I was able to not only make Ireland relevant but make them the top IIHF team for quite a while. In my 12 seasons as head Ireland got a medal 10 times including an amazing run of 5 gold medals in a row, something no other federation has done in the site's history. Sadly after my departure from the team they have since become lower down the rankings again but hopefully one day they can make that run yet again to create even more history.

171 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

One of my favorite records in NHL history was set by Mario Lemieux on December 31, 1988.  Squaring off against the New Jersey Devils, Lemieux potted five goals, but in a very unordinary fashion, scoring each goal in a different situation.  Mario scored an even-strength goal, a power play goal, and a shorthanded goal.  He also scored on a penalty shot and into an empty net in the game.  No other player has equaled this feat and with the state of scoring in the NHL, it is very unlikely that another player will be able to match this anytime soon.  Laine, Zibanejad, Thompson, and Meier have all recently scored 5 goals, but have not come close to matching the situational gravity of Lemieux's feat.  The five-goal, three-assist outburst by number 66 was his first five-goal outing of his career and his second eight-point performance of the season.  The Penguins went on to win by a final score of 8-6, and Lemieux would go on to score 199 points over the course of the 1988-89 season.

[Image: lutz-first-sig-shl.png]

Player Prompt

When we switched to no longer allow individual unit or player sliders, we are most likely never to encounter a player such as @juniped's Juni Panda ever again. Juni holds the league record for hits in a season with 525 over 66 games back in season 60. That is almost 8 hits per game! Panda is also second on that list with 515 (S61) and tenth with 384 (S62) hits respectively. An honorary mention has to be given to Vlastislav Malik who had 400+ hits in S62 and S63. These players were unique and the tactics allowed them to play to their strengths (literally) and decimate the opposition. The closest anyone has come to reaching anywhere close to the record was the first season the restrictions were in place with @Halkohol's Jonathan Granström hitting 206 people during the season. The seasons after that no one has exceeded 200 hits so the record books are more than likely going to be very static moving forward.

WC: 167

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

Hockey prompt

With the nhl I always love reading about its history from the around the 70s-80s and earlier, just because it's so funny to see the contrast of how ridiculous it used to be compared to now.

One of my favourite stories is about how the NHL conducted the 1970 amateur draft lottery, where they were trying to decide whether Buffalo or Vancouver would pick first. They ultimately decided to spin a big roulette wheel, with each team selecting the numbers they wanted from the wheel. Problem was that the wheel had 13 numbers on it, so Vancouver ultimately got 1-6, while the Sabres got 8-13, and if it landed on 7 they would spin it again.

As if that wasn't already strange enough, when the wheel stopped spinning, the Canucks had thought it landed on one of their numbers, and their table cheered. That's when it was pointed out that it had actually landed ever so slightly on number 11, so the Sabres chose first.

The Canucks still got a decent player in Dale Tallon but he would never have the career that first selection Gilbert Perrault would go on to have for the Sabres. Something about seeing the footage of that wheel spin compared to the show they put on these days for the lottery will never not be funny to me.

223 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

PT Pass

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Simmer pass

I think the easiest one that I would be able to talk about would be on my previous player before Bruno Tooyo. Kaspars Claude was probably not the best player in the SHL and did not really live up to the expectations that some people had for him. But, in the juniors, it was a different story. Probably one of the most clutch players in the history of the SMJHL, he was able to make the finals of the league for 4 years if I remember correctly. And he was able to win 3 of them, back to back to back, before getting called up to the pros. But, what is even more impressive than just winning 3 in a row, was the fact that he was able to do it with 3 different organizations. Something as crazy as that, I would think that it would be mentioned around the league but I have yet to hear anyone else have that accolade and accomplishment. So I guess I’m the only one that was able to do that

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

prompt 1
13 skaters who played in S53 are still active today, 11 of them are at exactly 992 games played, Slip McScruff leads with 995 and Dick Clapper is at 988 due to trades. There isn't an easy way to check how many goalies from S53 are still active, I think it's only Harry Carpet, Strom Chamberlain and Cillian Kavanagh, so overall we have 16 players from the inaugural fhm season. I think this is an interesting stat and I thought there would be more, although I guess it has been 16 seasons already. When you look at overall career records, the record for games played belongs to Esa Anrikkanen (1458). Slip McScruff, Andreas Kvalheim and Dick Clapper are going to break Esa's record if they play 3 more seasons, and all 3 are still active and updating, so it looks like there is a good chance of that happening. But I think Esa's record is all the more impressive because he did it in the 50 game era, if we assume that shl careers start at 17 years old, then Esa retired from hockey when he was 47, incredible longevity.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]