Create Account

S12 CW: A Winning Legacy

I don’t think this team is nearly as good as the original S1 Winnipeg team. Let’s look at the team’s roster – Jay McDonald, Jonathan Kane, Sergei Karpotsov, Damian Littleton, and Ron Mexico come to mind. Karpotsov, Kane, and Littleton are already hall of famers, McDonald has made the hall of fame as a GM (and whenever he chooses to retire, his player seems to be a first ballot hall of famer), and Mexico is a surefire first ballot hall of famer. Those are five hall of famers right there, not to mention Pavol Skvoznak who could be an inductee in future years. Now, let’s look at who could make the hall of fame from the current team. The team’s best players at the moment are Willie Weber, Armin Brovalchuk, Zach Myers, Jordan Hall, and John McBride. Brovalchuk likely won’t make it as he hasn’t had very many on-ice accolades, Myers has a decent shot at making it, Hall has the TPE to make it but needs a slight improvement in stats, Weber needs better individual performance, and McBride is a surefire inductee. That gives us, at best, three hall of famers – Hall, McBride, and Myers. The Season 1 Winnipeg team was a legendary team with some of the best players in the league’s history, and despite many being in their prime, the current Jets team can’t measure up to what the original did.

Past players:
(S3) C/D - Turd Ferguson (HOF)
(S7) LW - Anton Wagner
(S13) RW - Christian Bauer
(S18) D - Turd Ferguson, Jr.
(S30) D - William Goddard

This team is absolutely not as great as those in the past. While they are a good team, obviously, they have pieces that are too old and pieces that are too young. You can argue that McBride is a great goaltender, but is getting older and while he’s one of the greats of the SHL is, as expected, falling apart a little. Likewise, Ron Mexico is possibly the greatest player in SHL history, but has been around for both of the previous championship teams. Ending his 12th season, Mexico is regressing quicker each year and will soon simply fall apart. While this team does have a lot of good pieces, and is deserving to be in the finals, Winnipeg has had much better teams before and will have better teams in the future.

133 Words

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

It is still too early to determine whether or not this team will go down as the greatest Jets team in history, but as of now it is not even a discussion. The Season 1 Jets team is full of Hall of Famers with quite possibly the three greatest forwards of all-time. Ron Mexico is still on this Jets team, but he is far from the player he once was. Jordan Hall, Armin Brovalchuk and Brandon Donini have the potential to become Hall of Famers in their own right, but they are nowhere near the legendary status of guys like Sergei Karpotsov, Jay McDonald and Ron Mexico in his prime. McBride is quite possibly the greatest goalie in SHL history, but Jonathan Kane is also a Hall of Famer. Although this version of the Jets is much more deep at the defense position, Damian Littleton is far and away the better number 1 than any of the current Jets.

This Jets team is a very good team, but they are far from the best.

This year's Winnipeg Jets team has put on quite a display, from finishing first in the west to fighting the long hard battle that is the SHL playoffs and buying themselves a ticket to the Challenge Cup Finals against the Winnipeg Jets. It could be argued that this year's Jets team is the best Jets team ever but we will show you that even though this Jets team is an absolute powerhouse, they are not the best.

1. This team hasn't gone all the way yet. It's plain and simple, a team can simply not be called the best until they've won the Challenge Cup. An army can win every battle but if they lose the war, they are not the best army. It goes the same for the Jets this season. No matter how great they've played all season long and throughout the playoffs so far, Winnipeg has to take the final step and win it all to be considered one of the best.

2. This team is still young. Although legends Zach Myers, John McBride and Ron Mexico, this team's main core of Armin Brovalchuk, Willie Weber, Brandon Donini, Luke Riggs, Lance Uppercut and Jordan Hall is still young and arguably have all yet to reach their full potentials. This team is developing and to reach the finals with such a young core is an incredible feat. It is clear that the Jets have a future dynasty team and will one day be able to call themselves the best Jets team ever with this core but that day has not come yet.

3. This team's players have not left the same effect on the game that other have. The SHL has grown a lot over it's 12 seasons of existence and even though the game is at one of its highest levels of competition and the NWJHL keeps on cultivating new superstars every year, the players of the past will never be comparable to these players. Guys like Jay MacDonald, Ron Mexico, Sergei Karpotsov, Damian Littleton, Pavol Skvoznak and Jonathan Kane from the original Jets team are players who have shaped the way the game of hockey is played and who have left an eternal mark on the SHL world. This year's Jets, although they have some legends and future hall of famers, will probably never reach the game changing heights that those Season 1 legends have changed.

Code:
Words: 400

Yes this team is better then the previous challenge cup winner jets for many reasons one being it was S1 so everyone was less developed and experience also the jets currently have many great players with all star goalie John McBride as well as Myers Weber Brovalchuck Donini, Hall and many more. They also have Ron Mexico who won the cup with them in S1 and provides great leadership and experience in the LR for them to do it again. Overall I think this jets teams is better at every position and aspect of there game and will do great and better then the S1 team.

[Image: Kylrad2.gif]
[Image: Kylrad.gif]

It is hard to compare a team I have seen grow over the last couple season compared to a team that was around before I was. I would definitely say that this team would probably beat the S1 Jets just because the overall skill of the league has gone up over the seasons, or at least in my own opinion they have gone up. Now you see some rookies and second year guys having some 3-400 TPE and rising quickly. The talent of the SHL is very strong now, and arguably the strongest it has ever been. I would say that this seasons Jets are better then the S1 Jets

Absolutely with the league evolving the skill level of the players is always increasing. However, in terms of dominance or above averageness I suppose, nothing compares to Ron Mexico of the early years showing off his blazing speed and incredible scoring touch. John McBride does make it a tough choice as well so I'll say si senor, the current Jets by a slim margin.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Yes I do. They have one of the best goaltenders in the league and possibly the best, John McBride. And in order to be a good team, you have to have good goaltending. Follow that up with 4 superstar players and one superstar player in the making. Jordan Hall has over 1000 tpe! is that even possible. I didn't think so and lots of people probably don't. Weber and Myers are the leaders of the back end as they are a shutdown group. Armin Brovalchuk is also amazing and could be over 1000 tpe as well. and Brandon Donini well, he is a superstar in the making.

I think this season's edition of the Winnipeg Jets are definitely the best team the club has ever iced. Starting in goal, you have a goaltender who has countless awards for the best goaltender in the league as has been one of the best, if not the best goaltender in league history. On the blueline, you have one of the best quartets in the form of Zach Myers, Lance Uppercut, Willie Weber and Giovanni Mortellaro II. These four may never win any individual awards in their careers, but they have been known to get the job done very effectively and have found some great chemistry with each other. Up front, you have Armin Brovalchuk, Ron Mexico, Jordan Hall, Luke Riggs, Brandon Donini and Ezekiel Turkkonen in the top six. Most of these guys have played together for a few seasons now and have been cooking up chemistry since they have been together. The new guys have been great ever since they came over in trades and have been playing above expectations. The Jets roster is solid from top to bottom and if they lose to the Chiefs, there will be a lot of disappointed Jets fans.

Yes, I believe this years edition of the Winnipeg Jets is the best the Simulation Hockey League has ever come to see. They have one of the top 3 goalies to ever play a professionall Simulation Hockey League game. They have in my opinion the best Simulation Hockey League player of all time in Ron Mexico.

Then they have some younger guys as well. You can't call Armin Brovalchuk anything other then a young and promising star. Brandon Donini seems to be getting his act together and is continuously progressing. Jordan Hall (although seemingly has regressed from last years stellar season) is still one of the leagues premier two way forwards. For these reasons, I think this is the best team the Winnipeg Jets have ever had!

127 wprds.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

You're not the best until you prove you're the best. The Challenge Cup series is not over yet and we don't know how it will finish.

The Season 1 Winnipeg Jets have a ton of legendary players that carved their history in the SHL. It's hard to think of a better team of players than Karpotsov, Mexico, Skvoznak, McDonald, Kane and others. They came together in Season 1 and gained remarkable chemistry. That team will always live in the hearts and minds of Jets fans every where.

This year's Winnipeg Jets are extremely talented and they have the chance to take their place in SHL History, but they have a ways to go. However, this won't be the only time you will see them in this position. This team's core is still relatively young and getting better, which is scary. By the end of their run, this team could make a strong case, but until they get their names on the Challenge Cup, they can't be considered the best.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Well I'm only a few seasons into my tenure here in the league but from the few years I have been here I would have to say that this is a great team probably the best but I don't wanna say something that I can't sit down and defend in my own words with facts and such.
The Jets are one of the few teams that are just sound all around (Examples: Hawks,Chiefs,Stars IMO) and I feel can really be a threat no matter who they play. The one issue I do have with this team is purely personal because they harbor my rival Donini!!!
But to be honest he's become a pretty cool guy compared to others on this site... Guess who!? But yeah I do feel this is the best Jets team that has the power to win a cup year in and out. And I would not argue them being called the best Jets yet.

(160 Words)

I disagree with the notion that this year’s Jets are the best incarnation of the franchise. This is no knock on this year’s Jets at all, it’s merely an acknowledgement to the history of the franchise. This is a team that won the first ever Challenge Cup and has been a contender quite a few more times. In general, people tend to look upon what happens more recently and consider it better, except for the very few greats. For example, all the current hype in the NBA about LeBron or Kobe being “the next Jordan” when in reality, there’s no comparison. The current Jets are a great team, but when we take off the rose colored glasses of recency, we have to consider one of their cup winning teams of the past as better.

Is this the best Jets team? My answer is no. They're great don't get me wrong but the future holds so much more for this team. Their young but have a nice mix of veterans mixed in. They got some real class players and obviously these guys have been key to the organization, but I say the best is yet to come. Leaders like Mexico and McBride have been stalwarts for this team and slowly their ushering in the next generation of guys. In a short while, we can be seeing a dynasty in SHL if the rest are not careful!

If it’s the best season yet for the Jets is hard to judge for me since I haven’t been part of this league for most of its history. The Jets however are performing really well as a team and have flew under the radar for most of the season, they were never clear favorites for the final, but the GM always has a few tricks up his sleeves. With them being in the finals they have a 50/50 shot at another cup, anything can happen and this franchise has always been competitive. A cup or not, they can be proud of what they achieved this year and will continue to do this for seasons to come.

Words: 116

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)