Create Account

"Fearless" Phillip Weaver's Pre Draft Interview (2x draft media)
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2020, 10:49 PM by W19eaver.)

Hello one and all welcome to one of the many SMJHL pre draft show and here is your host Wayne Grootzky.

[WG] Hello fans, with the S55 SMJHL draft soon approaching, we have one of the young prospects, goaltender Phillip Weaver, in with us today to talk about the upcoming draft. Hello Phillip how are you today?

[PW] Hello Wayne, I'm doing great thank you! Very happy to be on the show.

[WG] Well lets start up with some history on yourself. We seen from your background story that came out yesterday that you grew up on a farm. How was that?

[PW] Honestly it kind of sucked. While I will always appreciate the hard work that goes into farming, and the lack of appreciation farmers is outrageous, but shoveling shit is not for me.

[WG] I'm sure it takes a special breed. So what drew you to become a goaltender?

[PW] Well growing up my older brother's used to make me stand up against the barn while they whipped little stones at me. Well years later when I went to my first practice, our team needed someone in net and I figured if I could withstand my brothers threw stones at me, I could stand in the way while people shot frozen rubber at me.

[WG] Ooof that's quite the childhood, but I'm sure they wouldn't be calling you "Fearless" Phil today without it. Speaking of the moniker who gave it to you and when?

[PW] My first coach at the bantam level gave me that nick name. His name was Lars. It started during a tournament in the next town over, where this one freak of a kid had a shot that could rival some adults. Well during that tournament Lars said I was the only goalie he'd seen at that tournament not flinch when that shot went off. Since then I've really embraced the name, never backing down from a challenge out of fear.

[WG] The name sure suits you and has a great ring to it. So lets get into the draft. Have you talked to any of the teams yet?

[PW] Yeah a few of reached out to me, I'm not going to get into specifics but I'd imagine many of the teams are very busy prepping for the draft and as a late entrant I may be overlooked.

[WG] If I were you I wouldn't worry about it, rumor has it you could be one of the top goaltenders off the board. What do you think of these rumors and do you think they are justified?

[PW] They are very flattering that's for sure, but there are a bunch of great prospects in the draft and a few goalies so while I strive to be the first one picked, I know it could go anyway.

[WG] Is there a round you think you'll be drafted in?

[PW] Well after doing some quick research, in the S54 SMJHL draft, the top goalie was selected mid way through the second round. Now I would be absolutely honoured to be chosen that high but I think more realistically I'm looking to be drafted between rounds 4-5.

[WG] So how would you feel if you got drafted to one of the two expansion teams?

[PW] Well let me start off by saying it would be an honor to be drafted by any team tomorrow night. An expansion team would be especially cool though, I feel I might have a better chance of playing time on an expansion team, although I am willing to pay my dues riding the bench. The other cool part about potentially being drafted to an expansion team is to be apart of their history, there's nothing like being the first of something, so being the first goalie drafted in one of those teams history would be very cool.

[WG] Well that just about wraps up all the time we have, thank you so much for joining us Phil. Is there any parting words you'd like to give the SMJHL GMs before they finish up their draft board?

[PW] Thank you so much Mr. Grootzky it's been a pleasure. And yes I'd like them to know that they would absolutely not regret drafting me, I plan on sticking around being an active member of the roster, and trying my hardest to bring whatever lucky team drafts me success.

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]