Create Account

The Pride: What Comes Next?
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 02:34 PM by boom.)

[1575 words, ready for grading]

We’ve all seen the fallout by now. Last night, San Francisco Pride co-GM and current interim GM DaftRainCloud made waves when four trades involving the team were announced, all of which were roundly panned by SHL commenters. This sparked some controversy both for the perceived rushed nature of the trades and some questioning whether an interim GM should even have been allowed to make these moves with applications for the permanent GM post still ongoing. But to put that aside, I wanted to take a look at what the Pride have in their system now, and where an incoming GM could go with these moves.

Forwards

S43: C Steven Moyer, 1435 TPE
Contract: $5 million, 1 season

S43: W Vince Reaper, 1124 TPE
Contract: between $4-8 million AAV, 65 seasons

S43: W Jeff Brogen, 1383 TPE
Contract: between $5-8 million AAV, 65 seasons

S43: W Richard Metcalf Jr. (IA), 820 TPE
Contract: $3 million, 1 season

S48: W Emeka Valentine-Okoli, 783 TPE

S49: C Jake Primeau (IA), 749 TPE

S49: W Ricky Spanish (IA), 683 TPE
Contract: $2 million, 1 season

S50: W Henrik Lekberg Osterman, 1213 TPE
Contract: $4 million, 1 season

S50: W Andrey Barbashev II (IA), 697 TPE

Let’s begin with the obvious elephant in the room: the meme contracts. Signed by Grapehead as a joke, the deals to Vince Reaper and Jeff Brogen are now millstones around the team’s neck. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that these deals are completely unmovable. The incoming GM doesn’t have many options here other than begging the pair to retire (a slightly tall order given that Reaper has not logged on to the site since April) or haggling with HO to try to get out from under the cap penalty (half the annual salary in dead cap for the rest of the contract). About half the forwards on the roster are fillers, but two names are intriguing: Steven Moyer and Henrik Lekberg Osterman. Moyer is a few seasons into regression and appears to be fighting it to some degree, so he could be of interest to a team. While a first-round pick would likely be out of reach in a return for Moyer, I think something like a second-round pick and a B prospect could get it done. Henrik Lekberg Osterman, however, is the more interesting possibility for a trade. At 1213 TPE and only from the S50 class, he’ll almost certainly be over 1800 TPE, maybe even 2000 at his peak. The incoming GM has some options here, as he could try and trade Osterman for what could be a pretty decent return, or keep him as he’ll only be a couple seasons into regression and will still be a very good player once the team is becoming competitive again in 6-7 seasons. Osterman will however need to be convinced to sign back on, as he is in a contract year. With no forwards under contract past this season other than Reaper and Brogen, the incoming GM will have some working room.

Defense

S37: Jack Tanner, 776 TPE

S42: Charlie Schieck, 1393 TPE
Contract: $3 million (HTD), 1 season

S44: Ray Bork, 1442 TPE
Contract: $4 million (NTC), 1 season

S46: Kalevi Karhunen (IA), 621 TPE
Contract: $3.5 million, 1 season

S49: Prince Devitt, 1022 TPE
Contract: $4 million, 2 seasons

S51: Alex Petrenko, 961 TPE
Contract: $3 million, 3 seasons

There are some young pieces to work with in this group, with Prince Devitt being a pretty good earner and Petrenko near the top of his class. Both are under contract through next season too, so the next GM doesn’t have to worry about it. The issues are the older players. Tanner and Karhunen have no trade value, and if Grapehead doesn’t come back, Schieck’s play will continue to slide unimpeded. The only regressing piece on the roster with trade value is Ray Bork, who is sitting at 1442 TPE and would be a good piece for any team. The only issue is his full no-trade clause, which would have to be waived to facilitate a move. Similar to Moyer, I don’t know if this could get a first-round pick, but a second-rounder and a prospect could be doable.

Goaltenders

S42: Geezus Kryyst, 1314 TPE
Contract: $5 million, 2 seasons

S52: Cillian Kavanagh, 832 TPE

One of Grapehead’s final moves before quitting the GM job, and possibly the one with the reaction that finally made him resign, was giving up significant draft capital to get veteran goalie Geezus Kryyst. On the surface, it looked at the time like a move made to try and get one more playoff run out of an aging core before rebuilding, which is questionable but understandable. However, after last night, the trade looks even worse now. Kryyst is starting to enter the rapid aging portion of the regression curve and the defense in front of him as been gutted. To be honest, I think the Pride need to eat their losses here and recoup whatever value they can from trading Kryyst, as he doesn’t fit their timeline at all. Kavanagh is a very active starter and Nicolae Antonescu is coming up behind him, and Kavanagh in particular was ready for a starting job. Trading for Kryyst just blocks him from the net for two seasons behind a team that was rapidly declining and wasn’t going to be a contender anyway.

The Prospects

S53: W Sven Svenson, 705 TPE
Contract: $4 million (send-down), 1 season (pending UFA)

S53: W Kriss Darzins, 585 TPE
Contract: $3.5 million (send-down), 1 season (pending UFA)

S53: W Chris de Siren (IA), 421 TPE
Contract: $3 million (send-down), 1 season (pending UFA)

S54: W Thorbjorn Gunnarson, 474 TPE
Contract: $2.5 million (send-down), 1 season

S55: D Rikard Bjerg, 379 TPE

S55: C Walton Stromberg, 362 TPE

S55: G Nicolae Antonescu, 324 TPE

S55: D Nathan Thomas, 242 TPE
Contract: Unsigned

S55: D Fleetway Super Sonic, 257 TPE
Contract: $3 million in S55, $4 million in S56 and S57 (send-down), 3 seasons

The Pride have some pretty decent prospects here, but the most important one right now is probably Sven Svenson. Their first-round pick from the S53 draft is due for his first real contract after this season, and will need to be convinced to stay. The same goes for Kriss Darzins, a promising member of the same S53 class who was acquired in the Dominic Montgomery trade and is a pending free agent after this season as well. The mountain of picks that the Pride acquired will finish hitting the SHL in S61, which is a couple seasons away from the peak for Svenson and Darzins.

Draft Picks

S56: Own 1st, Own 2nd, NOLA 2nd, Own 3rd, NOLA 3rd, NEW 3rd, BAP 3rd, Own 4th, Own 5th
S57: Own 1st, Own 2nd, CGY 2nd, NEW 2nd, Own 3rd, WPG 3rd, TEX 3rd, Own 4th, Own 5th
S58: Own 1st, Own 2nd, TEX 2nd, Own 3rd, Own 4th, Own 5th

SFP acquired a ton of picks in the upcoming three drafts, with 9 in the S56 Reddit draft and 9 in the S57 draft. The issue is that the extra picks they acquired are unlikely to be in the top 20, as NOLA is still very good, CGY is aging but solid and in a division with a weak bottom half, NEW is rebuilding but on the way up, and Texas is beginning their window now. Having a lot of picks is great, but the new GM will need to pay a lot of attention to scouting to make sure they get the most out of their selections.

The worst part about what happened last night, in my opinion, is that this is now a vastly unappealing position to be in for an incoming GM. To summarize it:
  • The team has two unmoveable meme contracts that will require HO intervention to get rid of if they can’t get the players to retire.
  • Only three players outside of those two deals are under contract through next season, and that doesn’t include any of the prospects outside of Fleetway Super Sonic (with Svenson and Darzins being pending UFAs) or the team’s goalie of the future. The incoming GM will need to run a full-court press to convince young players to believe in the rebuild and re-sign with San Francisco.
  • There is little left in trade value on the roster. Steven Moyer and Ray Bork are aging pieces that could be flipped for some value (assuming the latter agrees to waive hit no-trade clause), and Prince Devitt is still on the way up, but the real value would come from bold moves like moving Henrik Lekberg Osterman. These negotiations need to be timed judiciously to ensure that the maximum possible value is achieved.
The biggest issue for an incoming GM that may wish to apply is that there’s not going to be much to actually do in the job for the first few seasons before they can put their stamp on the team. The first crop of players from all those extra picks won’t be ready until S58 or S59, and there’s almost nothing left on the roster that can be flipped for value without hampering the rebuild. It was brought up last night that there needs to be a rule preventing interim GMs from making trades so that users applying for the permanent spot can plan out what they’ll do to fix the team, because as it is, it’s not an appealing position right now.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 02:25 PM by SFresh3.)

Except they don't have their own S56 3rd (or 2nd if they make the playoffs) or S57 1st from said Kryyst trade.  So these next 3 years to "rebuild" they only have two 1st, 7 2nds (3 are from playoff teams, so in the 25+ range), and 7 3rds, but that isn't the most appealing.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

Great write-up, and a sobering one. This is not a situation to be envied.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

07-23-2020, 01:56 PMSFresh3 Wrote: Except they don't have their own S56 3rd (or 2nd if they make the playoffs) or S57 1st from said Kryyst trade.  So these next 3 years to "rebuild" they only have two 1st, 7 2nds (3 are from playoff teams, so in the 25+ range), and 8 3rds, but that isn't the most appealing.
Whoops. I was using the pick tracker, which hasn’t been updated with the Kryyst trade yet.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

07-23-2020, 01:56 PMSFresh3 Wrote: Except they don't have their own S56 3rd (or 2nd if they make the playoffs) or S57 1st from said Kryyst trade.  So these next 3 years to "rebuild" they only have two 1st, 7 2nds (3 are from playoff teams, so in the 25+ range), and 8 3rds, but that isn't the most appealing.

Yeah what happens is most likely that you will have to draft as well as you possibly can off of this, and then when those players hit some value actually start a 2nd rebuild just to make it work, I reckon. It's going to be a long thing to do and for sure absolutely horrible for most players involved.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

07-23-2020, 02:01 PMthecanadiancanuck Wrote:
Whoops. I was using the pick tracker, which hasn’t been updated with the Kryyst trade yet.
It's not updated with A LOT of trades yet.

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

Moving back to Portland is step 1

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

07-23-2020, 02:23 PMSFresh3 Wrote:
07-23-2020, 02:01 PMthecanadiancanuck Wrote: Whoops. I was using the pick tracker, which hasn’t been updated with the Kryyst trade yet.
It's not updated with A LOT of trades yet.
You guys are looking at the old pick tracker. It’s never going to be updated again lol.

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...2Cb6baOtOQ

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

you hear that? I'm a good piece, tyvm

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

about the meme contracts - i know we've discussed w/ folks on discord but maybe not so much on site
to whomever it may concern in the future, Reaper and Brogen are still active members in our LR/discord and both plan on retiring eventually when their players are no longer helpful in the lineup

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM by LordBirdman.)

07-23-2020, 02:48 PMtweedledunn Wrote: you hear that? I'm a good piece, tyvm

One fine piece...

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8293119]

[Image: BirdmanSHL.gif]

Jean-François Bokassa
Armada

Proud Father of Johnny Wagner-Svenson

[Image: unknown.png]
Sven Svenson Career Stats

Sweden Raptors pride

07-23-2020, 02:57 PMtweedledunn Wrote: about the meme contracts - i know we've discussed w/ folks on discord but maybe not so much on site
to whomever it may concern in the future, Reaper and Brogen are still active members in our LR/discord and both plan on retiring eventually when their players are no longer helpful in the lineup

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 05:06 PM by Flowseidon.)

07-23-2020, 04:09 PMViN Wrote:
07-23-2020, 02:57 PMtweedledunn Wrote: about the meme contracts - i know we've discussed w/ folks on discord but maybe not so much on site

[Image: giphy.gif]

Same though. I'm still around doing my TPE/All-Star stuff and will keep on with that.

I am more than willing to talk to potential GMs about what they wanna do with me, but I can promise that I will never ghost it.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

usually the fall comes after the Pride.... Ill see myself out

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]