Create Account

S60 SMJHL PT #5 - Most valuable player

Most Valuable Player is usually an award that is overthought. When really, it is very simple, does this player mean more to his team than another player means to his team. A lot of times people think you need to be on a playoff team to win the award. I strongly disagree with this, as hockey is as much of a TEAM sport as there is. One player can make an incredible difference on a team, even if they don’t make the playoffs.

That being said, my leader for the MVP right now is pretty simple, and on a playoff team. It is Alexis Saint-Michel. The currently second in the league in goals is carrying the Whalers to an incredible season. He is six clear of anyone else on the Whalers, and I think everyone in that locker room would agree, they wouldn’t be sitting in third place without the contributions of the man referred to as ASM.

Next up is hard to ignore Cole Carter. The Anchorage forward leads the league in goals right now, one clear of ASM, and ranks tied for fifth in points. In my opinion, it can be seen as a knock that he has such a good team around him, but I don’t want that to take away from the incredible season he has had.

My third and final person in the running would have to be Robert Black. On a stacked Newfoundland team, Black has stood out. He is tied for the league-lead in points, tied for fourth in assists and just outside the top 10 in goals, his stats are impossible to pass up. Not to mention he has a +31 rating on the year, good enough for a tie for fourth in the league.

298 words

[Image: m59RPb7.png] | [Image: FcWmVTl.png]

S61 Four Star Cup - Game-Winning Goal in the clinching Game 4
[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: efischermann.gif]

MVP ? You mean Alexis Saint-Michel? Yeah he is the guy. Vancouver would not be top 3 unless it was for him. He can score 3 times a night and nobody would bat an eye. We try to get him to eat hotdogs and drink beer every weekend but he is like "nah sorry guys, gotta sleep early today" and then he is the first guy on the optinonal skate. He is a rolemodel for the entire team and should be treated like the precious commodity he is. Without ASM on the team VAN would just be another St Louis. But now he is our star and our hero to follow. If ASM scores, we win. Simple as that. VAN for ASM, and ASM for VAN. All the way, every game. We will play for him, and all the other guys. But he is the one, with all the goals. ASM the MVP.

ASM ASM ASM
ASM ASM ASM
ASM ASM ASM

[Image: croppad.jpg]

MVP is a pretty simple award. The player who brings the most value to their team. Now to me it seems MVP is often voted to the best overall player rather than a player who brings immense value to their team with that said it should be the best player who brings the most value to their team anyways.

Candidate #1 Arturs Tumovs. This guy is just built for defense, and that is what he is bringing to Anaheim this season. The league leader in +- (I know a very controversial stat) and also adds 26 points in 44 games so far. Keep in mind most of these points come even strength as he is out on the ice much more for killing penalties rather than getting powerplay time.

Candidate #2 Gregory Goode. The point leader for defensemen with 36 in 46 games. I know both my candidates are defenseman but its hard to justify giving the award to a forward when the top forwards are all barely above a point per game. Not only is Goode the top scoring defenseman but he also has a stellar +- just like Tumovs.

My choice- Gregory Goode. In a season where defense is king Goode is the best. Scoring seems to be a premium and Goode not only keeps it that way for opposing teams but makes sure his can get on the board.

The first player that I think is in the running for the Ideen Fallah Trophy is Robert Black. Black is tied with Jesse Trudeau for points, but he plays center which is the more challenging and demanding position. He is a +34 for the season, and has 36 assists, showing his elite playmaking ability. Black has also kept himself out of the sin bin, with only 6 penalty minutes for the season so far with 46 games played. The level of discipline for a player who is on the ice for so many minutes is truly impressive. Robert Black is certainly the MVP of the elite Newfoundland team, if not the entire league.

Secondly I believe that Mikhail Novikov should be in the conversation. Mikhail is the star center for a dominant Anchorage Armada team. Nokikov has also equaled Robert Black's goals tally, but with 63 fewer shots. With his 14.5% shooting accuracy it is possible that with Black's 180 shots Novikov would have 26 goals.

Finally, I think that a dark horse candidate for the Ideen Fallah Trophy is Donald Trump Jr., and that's because he is truly built different.

(195 words)

[Image: LETS-FUCKING-GO.gif][Image: DTJR-Colorado-Signature.jpg]

I honestly wish I could give everyone on my team the award. Everyone plays as a team and we help everyone out.  But if I had to give it to someone it would have to be my goaltender Willie.  Although he's a rookie in the league, he has saved our butts from being smacked silly more times than I can count.  I don't know any other goalie who has to deal with 70-80 shots on average per game, and yet only lets a couple in.  As an assistant captain, he does a really good job at calming us down during intermissions if we are having a bad game, as he understands it more than either of us.  In fact, goalies need more recognition than they get because without them the number of goals would be through the roof.  They also have a tough job as they are celebrated when they make huge saves and win big, but they are usually the ones that take the most abuse when they lose games.  To me, he's the true MVP, whether he wins the league award or not.

[Image: SS.png]                                        [Image: image0.png?width=268&height=375]                                        [Image: ACapSiege1.png?width=500&height=362]

If Willie Miller doesn’t win this year’s MVP award I will literally be so upset. It’s no secret that Nevada is in the midst of a rebuild this season, so both their offensive and defensive lines tend to struggle in games. Nevada’s roster overall is comprised mostly of league rookies, so the whole team is working to build up their TPE. 
Willie Miller blocks SO MANY shots each game. He is the main reason Nevada doesn’t get blown tf out in every game. All season he’s had a block percentage of some insane number like 90%.  The shots are always like… 60 to 20. And somehow Willie keeps us within score, often only losing by one or two points. Dude is a mf tank. If I could give him an overall grade rating for his performance this season, I’d give him 100%. Snubbing Willie Miller for the MVP Award this season will only make him come back next season with a vendetta. Consider the league on notice.

[Image: Wing_Wang_Wurmple.png]

I think the most obvious choice for this prestigious award is going to the man that's an absolute brick wall on the defensive side of the ice. The guy who can never be scored on, never gets rattled, the man who's dancing passes for bar down rockets with his silky mitts while the puck bunnies are dropping their clothes all over the stands over his play, the Maine Defenseman Luka Kovacsova. 

Luka has been charitable towards the Maine community as well as helping in increase the human population therefore helping increase the hockey community building future little Timber players. He's also been working on curing cancer, aids, and hiv all just in the last week alone. 

I think that's all we need in order to talk about his rotation status, don't need to bring up that plus minus stat or lack of offensive production at all, just seems like a waste of our time.

I'm going to throw a Nevada Battleborn hat in the ring here (shocker, I know), but I think Jimmy Larkin Conway has been putting together a masterclass of a season. To preface this, in case you did not know, the Battleborn are baaaaaaad. Like we're really not good. We have both the lowest average tpe and the lowest average effective tpe in the league. However, we will be very good soon, so that's something to look forward to. JLC has been nothing but a ray of sunshine this season even though he deserves so much more than what we can give him. Jimmy is in 7th place in the league in goals, and has somehow also accumulated 16 assists on the season. That's probably good for a very high usage percentage honestly, as we have not scored many goals this season. He is also (along with many other Battleborn) screamingly high in the penalty minutes category, but idk I just think that's cool. In conclusion, #JimmyForMVP.

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]

[Image: SMJHL-MVP-Race-S60-Final.png]
For the SMJHL MVP Race I went with two easy picks in Robert Black from Newfoundland (@grimreaper) and Cole Carter from Anchorage (@Boomcheck). These two players are leading the league in Points and Goals (as of 7/15) respectively. Now for the 3rd position I went with a little bit of a dark horse in Podan Podanavic (@podzilla111). Podan is in the top 10 for goals against, BUT is leading in GSAA and Save percentage and is the backbone for the Detroit team.

[Image: 0wXevO1.gif]
[Image: Qfss7w7.png][Image: Eo2nBCt.png]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]

ISFL Affiliate

Username: 37thchamber

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

PBE

A U S T I N - M A C W A R D 
[Image: SlimAnnualBarracuda-size_restricted.gif]

Looking at how this season's been going, it's pretty hard to pick out an MVP for the whole league. The thing with the MVP award is that people often see it as being the "best performing player" award. If that was indeed the case, the award would probably go to someone on Newfoundland or Anchorage - perhaps a player like Robert Black, the current league points leader with 57 (at the time of writing this). But, that's not what the MVP award is about. It's about the player who does the most for his team, the player putting their team on their shoulders, the player who brings the most value. If you removed Robert Black from the Berserkers, what would happen? Well, while they definitely wouldn't like it, NLB would still probably be frontrunners for the title even without his presence. In my opinion, the MVP is none other than Danny C. The current points and goals leader of the Kelowna Knights, the left winger is one of the main reasons behind why the Knights aren't sitting dead last in the league. Another notable stat of his is his shooting percentage - in which he is actually tied with Benjamin Jansson for first in the league, sitting at precisely 20%. Evidently, the All-Star Committee also agrees with me here, as C is the only Knight to have been invited to the All-Star Game.

[Image: kILVP74.png]    [Image: qtbn8zh.png]    [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: Monochroma_Sig_2_1.gif]
Patriotes Knights Latvia Knights Latvia Knights Patriotes

I think an incredibly under the radar selection for Most Valuable Player this season is none other than Makrus " The Tater " Jager, as he currently sits at 4th in the league in points, and 8th in the league in assists. I am well aware of the fact that there are three people with more points than The Tater, but when you look at the leaderboards it is littered with Raptors, Berserkers and Armada players, yet you only see one Whaler which goes to show you the significance of the Makrus Jager to the Whalers this season, this is without mentioned how responsible he is defensively, with 50 shots blocked and a near even GVA-TKA ratio. I truly believe that unbiasedly if the votes happened today that Makrus " The Tater " Jager would be truly deserving of the Most Valuable Player. Hopefully his strong season continues as we move toward the most important part of the season, the playoffs. I think The Tater lives for this though and will continue performing.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

Awarding the Most Valuable Player award needs to carefully consider all the values a player can bring to the ice. Goal scoring, shot blocking and physical presence to name a few. With that being said, lets get right into it:

Throat Goat. My god does this guy ever know how to intimidate his opponents. He can get under your skin and push you to make mistakes. This guy is a real worm. He's the league leader in fights won and penalty minutes.

Leons Breidis. The struggling Kelowna Knights have a savior. This guy knows how to defend and has been keeping the team off the bottom rank. He's near the top in the league in shots blocked. Given the right opportunity, this guy is going places.

Benjamin Blue-II. Following up on keeping Kelowna off the bottom rank, Benjamin has been an excellent up and coming goal tender. With a .91% save percent he has been holding the line and is one of the league leaders.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2021, 03:02 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

Code:
166 words

I think it's pretty obvious the two players that are in the running for the MVP in the SMJHL.

The first player is Cole Carter. Carter has the most goals in the league right now, but beyond that he has exceptional even strength numbers when compared to players with similar counting stats while still having great power play numbers. On top of that he's the only player in the top 10 for goals scored with a positive giveaway to takeaway ratio. While his assist numbers aren't where other player's are I believe this has less to do with him and more to do with the players around him. His personal isolated numbers are exceptional.

The other player I think is in the running is Robert Black. He leads the entire league in points while playing center and having a below average shooting percentage at only 9.5%. That itself is scary because it shows that he has more in the tank beyond what he's done this season.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]