Create Account

S65 PT #3: The Pest Around

Hockey prompt
There might be something to the argument that allowing these petty little occurrences to happen in hockey leads to a safer game overall. One might argue that letting out frustration in ways, such as snowing the goalie, lets a player vent their frustration without having to make a dangerous or illegal play. I’m incline to agree with this, to an extent. Sure, in a perfect world, we would have a classy game with none of these interactions needed. But in these games, there is a lot of on the line, the players are stressed about living up to expectations that become greater and greater everyday. Thus, the player will easily be frustrated or rattled when things are not going quite their way. It’s natural to expect some acting out by these players. Let them get it out and let them be safe about it. We all want to go home at night healthy and not let our families see us beat up.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Hockey Prompt

Being a pest absolutely has a place in hockey. Obviously, the dangerous, violent stuff has no place. There is nothing worse than a player having to end their career early because of a dirty play. Hockey requires so much mental awareness to play. There are dozens of things that a player needs to keep in mind every second they are on the ice. If you have a player that can interrupt those thought processes you gain a huge advantage. Having players that get up into shenanigans is great for fans too. For how divisive he is, Brad Marchand brings a special type of energy to hockey. His fans find him hilarious (when he isn’t doing dumb, dangerous shit) and everyone freaking hates him and want to see him get wrecked. Corey Perry and Matthew Tkachuk are the same way. Fans love to hate them. They make the game more interesting. These players help you win and get more fans in the seats. Win win.
(164)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Sophie Bordeleau might only be 5'8" and 155 lbs, so she's not the best at knocking down appointments, but she still got 85 hits and 26 penalty minutes last season so she can be pretty physical when she wants to be. Sophie can get under her opponent's skin at the face-off dot by going a little more for the tie-up as opposed to the puck, making the other centre exhaust themselves to win the draw. She's generally not one to hang right around the front of the net and mess with the goalie, but Sophie, being just 18, can still sometimes be prone to get emotional in big moments and get sucked in a bit. This can manifest in the form of an uncontrollable hit or a quick slash, which sometimes earns her a trip to the penalty box and probably a reprimand from the coach as well. Despite this, the scrappiness coming from being a one-of-a-kind person has endeared the young centre to Citadelles fans for her willingness to get her hands dirty.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Hockey Prompt:

Personally I feel like all of these little annoying things do have a place in hockey, but players need to be prepared to face the consequences of these actions if they do choose to do them, and those consequences are fair too. So if you snow shower the goalie and you immediately get a nice facewash or dumped to the ice afterwards, that's hockey. It is the same in other sports too, football/soccer especially has a lot of little annoying things you can do, Anywhere from players time wasting by lying on the ground faking injuries, to throwing the ball away from players after free kicks are awarded etc. As long as no one is getting hurt and they are not directly taking away from the quality of the game (which these things usually don't too much in hockey) then I think it's fine for players to do them. Although I'll always be annoyed when it happens to my team/players.

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

HOCKEY PROMPT

Ironically while I write my player as a bit if a goon who is constantly up to mischief and causing issues in our fictional world, I don't think these kinds of pranks really have a place in the world of hockey or in sports in general. Professional hockey is a business. It's a place of employment. Just like any other job, you should be expected to go in, be on your best behavior, and do your job to the best of your ability. These pranks in a normal work place would be considered harassment and bullying and I feel as if it should reflect that in professional hockey as well. You would be reprimanded and eventually fired if you performed these pranks in an office, so why should your job as a professional athlete be any different? While these pranks are seemingly harmless, they can really impact people in a negative way. Which I understand is the goal, but is that something you really want to be associated with in a world where mental health is rarely taken seriously?

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819596167843151906/843586092388057098/De_pengu_logo_2.png[/img]

Hockey prompt:

I personally have no issues with pulling little antics to try and rile the other team up and draw some penalties. As long as it's nothing dirty or genuinely risking injury to the opposition, I just see it as part of the game. Part of your job as a hockey player is to not let things get under your skin to the point where you lash out and do something stupid. Being a "pest" challenges players to uphold that and keep their composure by trying to throw them off their game and make them lose their cool. A lot of players, even top players in the league, can fall victim to a little tomfoolery and end up either taking a penalty, or generally becoming too frustrated to focus on playing their game. At the same time, if you are a player who pulls those antics, you have to be prepared to face a lot of roughhousing and vitriol from the other team, so you need a strong mental capacity to do that too. (176 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Looking at the gorgeous face of the San Francisco Pride like those of Ruggs McOooooh, Sven Svenson, Henrik Lekberg Osterman, Slavakov Vladimirashenko, Kev Kevens, Jack Klompus and Walton Stromberg, Jean-Uhtred realizes this team is mostly made from friends of his outside the ice even if they are rivals on the ice, so he decides he will mess with them without actually doing anything illegal or hurtful. Just little annoying things like flicking Ruggsy's ears when they are battling in front of the net in the offensive zone, blowing a kiss to Walton when they are facing in the faceoff circle, going over to hug Sven after the whistle has been blown, overall very wholesome things. Despite losing, JUST is happy for his friends having a great season in the division of death with Seattle and a lot of friends in Los Angeles also having a lot of success. Obviously going to lead to heartbreaking moments, but until then it's all fun and games.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

WSBL PT affiliate

[Image: blasoon.gif]

Code:
Prompt 1
Written Task: Does your player have it in them to be a pest? Do they enjoy finding ways to irritate their opponents even if they can't find a way to actually win the game? Or is this kind of thing beneath you? Are you a good ol' hockey player through and through? Maybe a mix of both? If you are a bit of a pest, tell me some of the tricks your player likes to get up to. If you aren't, tell me what your player thinks of other players that DO like to do these things.  (150+ words)

Funnily enough, Fiske learned to be a pest around the same time he earned his first captaincy position as Alternate with the Quebec City Citadelles. He was sick and tired of @James Truong pushing him into the boards when the puck was NOWHERE near him, and on S62 preseason game he gave back as good as he got. Since then, being a pest has come easy, a hit here a shove there, when the ref isn't looking he'll slip a trip. Nothing so big that he'd make himself a target, or earn a fight with one of those giants that have been in the SHL for eons, but just enough to get people off their game. He's thinking of taking someone's stick next game, just grabbing it when they're not looking and their grip is lax. He'll work his way up there. Until then, he'll keep being annoying while Manhattan climbs the ranks.

[Image: 1091735715194343496][Image: merh.gif][Image: 1091735379956211812]
[Image: jZtKPwK.png]    [Image: Thz4BYW.png]    [Image: ivBf7yq.png]    [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

[Image: merha.gif]
[Image: kvwHYOm.gif]
gay heghog

Hockey Prompt

Yes, I think that being an annoying little pest definitely has its place in hockey, at least in the game today. You see it all the time, especially in the playoffs. Maybe if hockey did not decide to have a completely different rule book in the playoffs (which I find to be very ridiculous), then we would actually see some more skill in the playoffs. But for now, doing nothing other than ridiculous antics that any random guy off the street could do is somehow still a part of this professional sport. So yeah, go ahead, spray snow on the goalie, bite players, do whatever you want to do. If it's the playoffs, the refs are definitely less likely to stop you from doing it compared to in the rest of the season. Because that totally makes sense for some reason. Why have a consistent game throughout the entire season and the playoffs, that would be silly.

[S77] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]  Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF] Team Japan | S60 Gold

"Hey goalie goalie goalie. Save goalie goalie goalie. Hey goalie goalie goalie. Miss goalie goalie goalie". It is a time honored chant that I would proudly take up to get my team back into the game. Down 5-2? It's not the other players we need to beat, it is the goalie. So we have to demoralize them with chirps and acts of random pestering. See everyone says you have to take out the other skaters and get into their head but I can check and hit other players. What I can't do is go over to the goalie and give him a nice aggressive hug to the floor. So thats where a certified pest comes into play. Gotta let the goalie know that they're not invincible. Now getting up to the goalie is a little hard a defensive D-man but when I get there the other goalie knows that I mean business. And then I'll hit them with the chant... "Hey goalie goalie goalie..."

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Hockey Prompt

I am not really against chirping and being just a slimey little punk to the other team, but it can certainly get aggravating when it is being done successfully against your team. I do think refs could be a little more active when it comes to calling unsportsmanlike penalties, but I would not want to see this completely go away. This is an issue in every single competitive sport and game alike, there will always be those with the competitive edge that deem it necessary to get under their opponents' skin. But it is a part of what makes competition fun. Players going at it and annoying each other is part of what makes some rivalries so great in the league. As much as I hate a guy like Brad Marchand, I sure would love to have a guy like him on my team. He seems to have mastered the art of annoying the other team while (for the most part) doing so without taking a penalty.

WC 167

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

WSBL PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

ISFL PT

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

ISFL Affiliate PT

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]