Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 - Bender Junior
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2023, 09:13 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Let's talk about Bender Junior, the guy has just finished a monster season.  The scary thing half way through the season while doing well he was not in the top 10 in scoring this season.  I know some of you may question this but I followed the leaders in the SMJHL all season. The crazy finish to his season willed the Nevada Battleborn into the post season and has potentially added himself to the SMJHL history books.

Bender Junior finished the season with 57 goals in 66 games!  That is just incredibly ridiculous. Nearly a point per game, a .86 goal per game.  Finishing 11 goals ahead of his closest competition.  This feat astounds me, he managed to not only win the goal scoring race but dominate it on his own terms.

But Bender didn't stop there, he became the most complete forward in the SMJHL, well offensive forward.  He lead the league in assists!  WHAT! Just bloody incredible, 67 assists in 66 games!  Number two was his own teammate at 66 assists.  The pure offensive fire power of this man gave him 124 points on this season! That is nearly 2 points per game.  If Your eyes are not blinking they should be.

Just when you think his juggernaut of a season would statically be done he pulls out another one.  287 shots this season, and I am sure you guessed it, lead the league once again!  This is by 20 shots over the next closest competition. 

I am sure you figure he just rode the powerplay to get all of these points, the truth is yes and no.  He didn't lead the league in powerplay goals, a great showing of 20, but not number one.  That honor went to 4 chainz.

Power play assists were only 18 of his 67 from the season.  To say he leaned on the powerplay would be a lie.  He was an offensive threat at all times on the ice but excelled on 5 on 5.

If you would like more on the impact he had on his roster this year.  The Nevada Battleborn are a playoff team, even without Bender Junior.  They had a great goalie, finishing the league with the 8th best GAA and 8th best save percentage.  The rest of the scoring was in the a good spot. With Alekss Ivanova, Mr. Gray T White, Thomas Sawschuck and Max Carnage all putting up a solid season.

But an 8th best goalie missing 57 goals they do not finish in 4th in the league.  Even if arguments are made where others step up a little more.  They would likely finish top 8 or top 10 without Bender.  He was a difference maker all season.

Now the scary thing, Bender Junior and his best supporters are in the league for one more season.  General Managers now have to game plan on how to play against him and find a way to emulate him within their own roster if they are hoping to compete against them next season.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

Approved, +5 TPE to @spidey

[Image: CptSquall.gif]