Create Account

Introducing: SHLdoku
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2023, 10:30 AM by kenvald.)

Are you familiar with the new game Puckdoku? Well, neither was I. I'd only seen people sharing green squares again in Discord as if they were all playing Wordle again. But I was enlightened after a couple of days to what it was: An NHL player matching game. Now, I'm terrible at those because I don't and can't really keep up with every NHL player and team throughout time. But then, one day not too long ago this happened:
[Image: Vf0bBxn.png]

I didn't even see that one as it was posted. But luckily for all of us, this happened shortly after:
[Image: kUkeL8S.png]

And after thinking about it for a minute, being motivated by all the cool things the dev team is working on and launching in the near future. I figured "why not?". So after banging my head against hosting providers, finally this happened:
https://shldoku.link/

NOTE: It's not exactly like Puckdoku. I took some shortcuts, like allowing one player to be used in multiple squares. Please read these instructions before playing:
  • Team, stat and achivement data goes up to and through S70
  • All stat prompts are meant for single seasons only. Not over players' entire careers
  • Choose a player in the cell that meets the row and column criteria
  • The player must have played at least one regular season SHL game for the team to be counted
  • If a cell is for an award/stat and a team, the player must have recorded the award/stat while on that team that season
  • Players and stats follow the franchise when relocated and rebranded. This means that players like Buster Killington count for present day San Francisco
  • A player can be used multiple times
  • Once a player is correctly chosen, the guess cannot be changed
  • Every guess counts as a shot, regardless of its correctness
  • A new game is available every day

FAQ
Q: What leagues are included in the grid?
Only SHL and SMJHL. The IIHF and WJC data is currently too unreliable to add to the game.

Q: Why is SMJHL underrepresented/Why is it mostly SHL teams?
Because including SMJHL awards was too much work for a quick project like this. Meaning SMJHL teams cannot sit in the left-side column of teams to match the third combo column which is always an achievement or stat.

Q: Why is team A showing up in more challenges than team B?
I tried to limit team repetition. Meaning that a team should at most be part of the grid once every three days. But since it was done randomly some teams are likely to show up more than others. And the more recent your franchise founding date was, the less often will you appear. Because you'll have less players connected to both your franchise and another.

Q: Why doesn't it consider S71 or other more recent data?
The data Luke graciously had available and provided free of charge is static in the application. If this somehow stays popular through the next season perhaps we can update the data to include S71.

Q: Does it have infinite daily challenges?
No, but it could. I've loaded it with 60 days worth of daily challenges for now. If it's still played past that I can easily generate more.

Q: I found a game-breaking issue, can you fix it?
Yes. Well, hopefully. Please let me know about the issue in this thread or through Discord and I'll do my best. Smaller bugs that are more visual might not be fixed. Mostly because I'm sure there are too many than I can count since I took some shortcuts to get this up faster.

Screenshot of today's challenge
[Image: THo7Gts.png]

Thanks to @Count Chocula for the idea, and @luke for the data!

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

omg this is terrific

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

jagger fouquette for falcons steelhawks will be a 0.1%

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page

07-14-2023, 10:51 AMWaters Wrote: jagger fouquette for falcons steelhawks will be a 0.1%
also jagger fouquette for steelhawks platoon keep this in your backpocket guys

[Image: ili5NZ2.png]

Player Page
Update Page
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2023, 11:20 AM by trella. Edited 1 time in total.)

oops

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

SHLduko Game - 7/14/2023:
5/9
??⬜
⬜??
⬜?⬜
https://shldoku.link

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

you know shit is fucked when I had to look up the MAN dar winner

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2023, 12:28 AM by kenvald. Edited 1 time in total.)

If anyone experienced a problem where the shot count doesn't reset on a new day you'll need to delete your "shotsLeft" cookie. I've fixed the root cause, but you might still have to do it manually once.

Past Players

Today's grid is invalid as Atlanta has never had an Aidan Richan winner. I'll be correcting the error for future grids to make sure they're all 9/9 valid.

Past Players

SHLdoku now includes all data for S71 incl. award winners.

Past Players

07-30-2023, 03:15 PMkenvald Wrote: SHLdoku now includes all data for S71 incl. award winners.
My man

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Dead

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

10-18-2023, 08:14 AMNike Wrote: Dead

It ran out of challenges early October and I didn't hear anything about it. Figured people had stopped playing.
If there's still interest I can bother Luke about getting S72 data and generate some more challenges. Although I'd probably also want to look into cheaper hosting...

Past Players