Create Account

S72 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2023, 07:52 AM by Pyro182. Edited 1 time in total.)

Which team is your team's biggest rival in the league and why? This could be due to recent history, old history, medium history, personal beef, branding antagonism, passing on you in the draft, etc. - whatever the reason, which team in the league would you consider to be the biggest rival of your team?
Written option: 150 words on the above
Graphic option: Make a Rivalry Week promo graphic highlighting the two teams squaring off
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)
Only S72 SMJHL Rookies (S73 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, August 13th @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: pyro182.gif]

Thank you hewasajazzman, Slothfacekilla, Sulo, Frenchie, and Raymond for the sigs Smile

PT pass

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Over the seasons the Anchorage Armada have had a lot of rivals. If you're talking about location based, maybe Vancouver or Kelowna or YUM. If you're talking about GM beef, then maybe it's the Quebec City Citadelles. However, they enter this season with out a major rival on the board. Especially since the divisions keep changing every season, it's impossible to create and maintain a rival these days. Even if you look back at playoff series, the Armada have lost to a different team every season for the past 6 seasons, in the first round of course. So, let's throw a name and hope it sticks and that will officially be the Armada's rival this season. Regina Elk it is. Now the Regina Elk and the Anchorage Armada have been going at it for the last season and they're ready for another big playoff match. Last season, the Armada and the Elk met 5 times in the regular season, the Armada won 5 of the 6 games. So, when they ultimately lost 4-2, you understand why the Armada are ready for a big rematch.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Despite my besmirchment of the Yukon Malamutes, I don't really consider them to be rivals, mostly because they are so notably dog water at ice hockey. The two primary rivals I see for the crows this season are Maine and Vancouver. Maine is the only team in the league that can hold a candle to our recent performance (10 game heater, let's go!). At this moment in time I see them as our biggest threat to a championship and I can definitely envision a heated contest against them in the final. Vancouver is the only team in the league with more TPE than us and I was very nearly claimed by them in waivers before STL claimed me with 1st waiver priority. I feel like both teams are in the midst of a cup window and we could continue dueling near the top of the standings for seasons to come.

[Image: qqfzCsq.png]

Grizzlies are relatively new organisation to the league so there isn't deep history to bring up when we are looking at potential rivalries. Like it has been over 10 seasons already but it still doesn't compare well with some other teams that have multiple playoff or finals series versus same opponent.

So first thing coming to mind would be the Regina Elk, another team that joined at the same time for seasons 61. So far they have only met once in a playoffs during season 66 when Regina won in 5 games and there likely wont be another chapter to be added this season as currently Grizzlies sit 14 points out of playoffs after 18 games. Still neither team has really had success in form of a cup, with Great Falls being only one to even make it into the finals, back in seasons 63, so the race to the cup between these two expansion teams is still on which could be seen as form of a rivalry.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

I believe there is crazy beef between the Detroit Falcons and the St. Louis Scarecrows in the SMJHL. These teams straight-up hate each other, and it's like a mega war on ice. So, picture this: the Falcons and Scarecrows are like total opposites. Falcons are all about hard work and grit, while the Scarecrows are flashy and willing to get dirty to get the win.

It's not just about the game either. Fans get into it big time. Like, Falcons' supporters are all about that blue-collar stuff, while Scarecrows' fans are all about the glitz and glam. They're always arguing about who's the real deal in hockey.

This rivalry is like a rollercoaster with its ups and downs, and it shows, however recent success has not been in favour of Detroit, as both teams continue on, their rivalry will resurface.

Prince Marius of the Falcons remembers his dads hatred of St. Louis in his years in the smjhl and although. It’s been time since then, the hate hasn’t been diluted in his son.

(I made this shit up, I don’t know)

As the season is well underway, the Carolina Kraken and their fanbase look to identify a rival to love to hate. With no real geographic rival in the SMJHL, the vitriol has had to come from more personal sources for players and fans. That said, the Detroit Falcons have emerged as the frontrunner as the "love to hate" foe. Occupying the same conference as well as personal rivalries involving goaltender Sith Happens among others has served as the spark to the potential powder keg to make this rivalry pop. Furthermore, rookie forward Rence Sykut who is Latvian born, but spent his youth coming up in the Little Caesar's youth hockey program after immigrating to the Detroit area at an early age has shown an extra gear when facing the Falcons. He looks forward to each and every game to show his former hometown and coaches that what a great player their adopted son is on his way to becoming.

This young Falcons team has been struggling to find successes this year. They did manage to finally record their first win, and astonishingly their second! But before that, their hearts were broken in the shootout against the Armada. Anchorage had just shutout the Falcons the game before, so animosity had already seeped into both benches before the puck drop. Five goals in the first period had the Falcons up 3-2 at the first intermission. That lead would hold up until the first minute of the third period, when Anchorage was able to tie things up. Being so close to their first win, only to lose the lead and eventually the game would stick with the Falcons all season. When the Armada next showed up on the schedule, the Falcons felt confident they could exact vengeance for the earlier losses. However, the Armada would take the victory and the 2 points with a 5-2 victory. Three more games remain this season between the two teams. Will boats blast birds, or will beaks best battleships?

Word count: 173

[Image: 88pk1Hz.png]

I'd be tempted to say our biggest rival is Maine, but it would be embarrassing to be rivals with a team whose biggest rival is their own bench.

So, with a bare minimum understanding of the history of the SMJHL and who might really be the historical rival of Yukon, I'm going to say Colorado. They seem to be a well run team, worthy of a rivalry. But, more importantly - we are also close to each other in standings, we are in the same division this season, and that's where Xavier Beausoleil ended up, which is who brought me to the game - so there is a bit of a one-sided friendly rivalry as I strive to out-play him. This went reasonably well in their first game against each other this season - where Yukon won 8-1 and Seppanen posted an assist. However, we have two more upcoming games this season, so that may shift the tides of who the "rival on top" is - or it may entrench the Malamutes as the winner.

Everyone loves rivalry week right? Well I do! Now what team should I pick as my rival when the Yukon malamutes have two rivals. Saint Louis and Maine are the two main rivals of the Yukon malamutes, but I have decided to pick Maine as my main rival. Before I was drafted I actually had Maine as a top 4 team I would like to play for, well that was a big mistake on my part. I'm so grateful that I wasn't draft by an organization that benches active players to push for cup, especially when there GM speaks about how much they love helping new people. Know what else is funny? They apparently have the coaching staff do all their rookies updates and force there new playing into meta builds. I can't stand organization that like to bend every rule to get a slight competive edge, especially when the gm trys to make it sound otherwise. This is why Maine will forever be a rival of mine. #benchgate

[Image: ThkcuFb.png]
[Image: e4CexU0.png]

If we're talking about rivalries, the Newfoundland Berserkers' biggest rival has to be the Maine Timber. I've only been on the team for a few weeks and I can tell that we butt heads with each other and that our two teams are gonna have some nasty games in the future. As of right now, we're the two top dogs in not just the division, but the entire league. Looking back there's also some recent history between us two in the playoffs. Not once, but twice our teams met each other in the finals had to head. Its pretty fitting the not once, but twice a team was swept in these finals, one cup for each of us. I'm sure that sweep still sting my teammates who went through it, so getting one up over the Maine Timber would feel like such a great victory for all of us on the Berserkers.

PBE PT

In the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League the Newfoundland Berserkers likely have many rivals as the organization has had a lot of success in recent seasons which has drawn the ire of many folks around the league. In particular a team that doesn't mesh well with the Newfoundland Berserkers is the Maine Timber. The Newfoundland Berserkers and the Maine Timber have had some big playoff matchups that have swung both ways although historically the Newfoundland Berserkers have owned the Maine Timber. A lot of the rivalry comes from the playoffs but also has to do with former management being a former Newfoundland Berserker alumni. There is a lot of trash talk that comes from the Newfoundland Berserkers side which is a lot of memes and emoji's that are used, but the Maine Timber also have trash talk as well. Many will know the famous meme using Daffy Duck chopping a tree and saying Chop!. Overall the rivalry between these two teams has been going on for many seasons and will likely continue for many seasons to come.

Code:
165 words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

I have no idea who Regina's rivals are so I'm going to assume it's both geographical and divisional. The biggest rival of the Regina Elk should be the Vancouver Whalers. They play in the same division as each other and are also just one province away from each other. Little old Saskatchewan versus the big city in British Columbia. Those Whalers have always stuck their nose out at the good folk in Regina and it's really gotten this rivalry heated.

This season, both teams are quite close in the standings, with Regina at the top of the division with 32 points and Vancouver in second with 28 points, but a game in hand. You know Regina is really pushing to hold this division lead as Vancouver won the division last season and hold the bragging rights over their rival. It's a long season, but you can be sure the rest of the games between these two teams are going to be fierce and competitive. It's going to be a fascinating race for the division the rest of the way.

(179 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
47-17-2
Regular Season - [G 7] [A 13] [Pts 20] [+/- +27] [PIM 36] [Hits 37] [SB 125]
Playoffs - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- -1] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 4]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Right now, due only to them not even sending a scout in the direction of Jussi Mutou and his agent Fishy being so very wounded by GM Stinky Gabe, the Anchorage Armada are the biggest rival of Jussi Mutou and the Colorado Raptors. Both previous players represented by Fishy were drafted by the Armada in their SMJHL drafts (Kyler Gill 27th overall in S39 and TURG TURG 38th overall in S54). Despite the fact that both players won not only individual awards, (Hanson, Martucci, Fallah & Lindsay for Gill, Bolt for TURG) but also each had a Four Star Cup to their name, you would think Mutou would be an easy pick for the Armada. But they didn’t think Mutou was worth a look. And he took that personally.

Despite not winning any games against the Armada this season, Jussi Mutou has picked up 3 goals and 2 assists in the 3 games played between the clubs this season. Mutou also ranks 1st in rookie goals and 3rd in rookie points. Time will tell whether or not Gabe will regret the day he burned Fishy and Mutou. But it’s not looking good.

[Image: M7PYRAS.jpg]
[Image: eL4cCu1.jpg]
credit to MuNk22 for the sig