Create Account

S73 SMJHL PT #3 - Rivalry Week

Written Option
The biggest rival of the Kelowna Knights in the SMJHL is probably the Newfoundland Berserkers, for their merciless sweep of the Kelowna Knights in the second round of the Season 69 playoffs. Kelowna has been building back up to be a playoff team, and is out for revenge. Odds of making a deep playoff run this season are looking slim to none, but the foundation is being laid for future battles. The branding/theming also makes some sense; noble knights of honour and virtue against wild barbarians. There's definitely plenty to work with when developing the rivalry. The only real thing missing from this becoming a great rivalry is the Kelowna Knights actually building a strong team and battling it out with Newfoundland in the finals. What a series that would be! Until then, we can only grumble and grouse and struggle through the rebuild, hoping to one day soon be a match for the East Coasters once more.

[Image: banes.png]

The biggest rivals that the Detroit Falcons have are the St. Louis Scarecrows. Nobody really knows how this beef between the two teams started, but what we know is that the rivalry has run strong since the start of time and never waned. Every time the two teams come together there are a lot of bad feelings on both sides. People are ready to throw down, whenever and wherever, especially on the ice. When we win over the scarecrows, we are super happy about it. When we lose to the scarecrows, we vow to never let that happen again.

We have many anti Scarecrow commands, gifs and emojis in the Detroit locker room and we are not shy in using them when it comes time to do battle against the stinky Scarecrows.

We have had some players move to the Scarecrows for their second players - or even sign with them as a free agent once their rookie contract was done. We do not talk about them for they are removed from our memories.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Right now I think our current biggest rival is the Anchorage Armada. They seem to me to be the other team in our division that could have a chance of fighting for the #1 spot. That sort of thing is what really creates rivalries to me. Geographically it makes sense for us to hate Colorado but that'd be really one sided because right now they just aren't good honestly, or at least they aren't good enough to be considered a rival. I don't think there's much criteria beyond that, I don't care if a team passed on me in the draft or anything else like that. It's really just about how things play out on the ice. I fully expect us to play against Vancouver in the finals this season so if it comes to that then I think they'll be our biggest rival. Nothing creates a good rivalry like the finals in the playoffs.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

In the great words of the legendary Ricky Booby "If you're not first your last". So that being said I would consider everyone above us a Rivalry. Each year we seek out to be the best and win the cup and in order to do that we need to always be on top of our game. With key losses to Vancouver. And not being able to beat Carolina yet this year they definitely are at the top of the list of teams we need to focus on if we look to return to the finals. St. Louis is always a problem as well, last year we faced them in the Finals and after a back fourth battle we would end up losing in game 7. In the end we are all enemy's hoping to take each other out and win at all, as well as still playing a game we all love and having a Rival you can look forward to every year is the best part of hockey.

ISFL Affiliate 
Different Forum Username: Footballiscool

Since Denebor joined the Carolina Kraken recently he's not really sure what team is their true rival. For personal reasons, Denebor considers the Quebec City Citadelles his biggest rival. This is due to recent game outcomes like the 7-3 loss or the 5-4 win from a few days ago. The games against the Citadelles are always hard fought and Denebor wanted redemption for giving up 7 goals in the first game. This loss led to renewed focus and a goal to win the next one which Denebor managed to achieve in the 5-4 win by holding onto the one goal lead till the final buzzer. Denebor also has a friendly rivalry with the Citadelles winger Sean Prawn which makes the games that much more intense. So far Denebor has managed to hold Sean to one assist in their head to head games so far despite the eleven goals the Citadelles have put up on him. Ultimately Denebor looks forward to further games against the Citadelles.

[Image: 1161116581909246052.gif][Image: cobb.png?ex=6576542e&is=6563df2e&hm=9cd2...40228abcd&][Image: 1161116581909246052.gif]
Thank you @Ragnar  for the Sig!
Previously: Patrick Shepherd (S52 - S64)
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2023, 02:28 PM by NaomiMannequeen. Edited 1 time in total.)

Those Damn Rams >.> They are without a doubt the biggest rivals in the locker room currently. A great team that unfortunately Québec has tried time and time again to defeat. We came close a couple times, blowing a 4-1 lead in our first matchup against them as they came back to win it 8-6. Following that they beat us 6-3 both times on home ground. It stung badly... the locker room thought we'd be able to deliver justice upon the Battleborn and beat them on their home turf. Unfortunately following a close game finishing 3-2 in the favor of Nevada and then an even worse 7-2 loss afterwards, the whole team felt at a loss until we rallied up and made it our goal. We ARE going to beat the Battleborn. A rivalry with deep history as sister teams in the S55 expansion now fueled by losses to keep it going. The rookies are hungry for victory over the Battleborn and we WILL beat those rams when it matters most!

[Image: ADCreHfV9beqPmY9p-GeU5K0l3NKYOi-MFg5qHWQ...authuser=1]

[Image: h1VQUxn.png]

There's not many rivalry that are better than the one that's going on between Quebec City Citadelles and Nevada Battleborns. Both of those teams have a rich history and so happens to be sister teams as they were both created in the season. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of a rivalry between sisters eh? Though at the moment the rivalry seem to be going in Nevada's favour as they have the upper hand when it comes to results against one another. Though there is of course hope for Quebec as they are going through a rebuild in this moment. Courtesy of that is their latest draft where they managed to get a few pretty talented youngsters including the Solberg sister who always seem to up their game when it comes to the game against Nevada with the two accumulating 16 points in 4 games. And despite their efforts Quebec still didn't quite manage to get out on top which must make the loss all the more painful for the twins.

As I've been hanging around the locker room I came to learn very quickly that Carolina's rival is Detroit. I don't know if rival is the best word. But there's definitely a grudge being held and brought up repeatedly about a certain playoff series where Detroit allegedly didn't play with a fully legal roster. This was something that wasn't discovered until it was too late, and too many games had been simmed. There was no turning back and Carolina ultimately ended up losing the series.

They claim is that it wasn't done on purpose. But obviously it turned into yet another FHM playoff series win brandishing a good ole asterisk. Ever since then both of the Carolinas have been mocking Detroit fans and bringing up the alleged cheating incident. And who am I to say that it's unfair. I wasn't there. My Carolina team mates all seem like reasonable individuals which of course means they're right. Skree bad!

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

Colorado is my team so lets talk about who I think our rival is. In my opinion it is the Nevada Battleborn. This is all because of the two games we played against them. Both of the games were blowouts in favour of Nevada. Nevada just went all offence in our first meeting completely destroying us 11-2. Not even close but we go to our next meeting and Nevada still scores a lot winning 8-4. So in the two match ups so far this season between Nevada and Colorado, Nevada has outscored Colorado 19-6. When you score 13 more goals than the opposing team after two games the other team is bound to start calling you rivals. The Next match up will be closer and will hopefully end in a Colorado win. Honestly in my opinion it is so early in my times in the SHL community so it is kinda hard to chose a rival team.

With the divisions changing so often, I'm not sure if Nevada has any set in stone rivals. However I'll choose the team we are currently battling for first in the division, Anchorage. The two teams are currently 1-1 against each other, and they are set to play again soon. The last meeting between the two was a high scoring intense match, where Anchorage was able to win a 6-5 game that ended in a shootout. The intensity between the two teams caused penalties galore, with each side receiving 9 power plays each. I was able to get an interview with first round pick Sergey Ivanov. When asked about the possible forming of a new rivalry, the Nevada defenseman stated, "They're obviously a very talented team, but we need to use this next game against them to show who really runs this division". While doing research for this article, I learned that rams can indeed swim, so they could totally take down an Armada!

For the Maine Timber, the biggest "rival" would be that of Yukon. I don't know if I'd call it a rivalry as much as a yearly display of why Maine is better than YUM when the playoffs come around. The last few seasons have been dominant showings and it's bred some fierce rivalry. The teams go into this season looking to once again be major players in the playoffs and Maine looks forward to making it four seasons in a row winning a series over Yukon. With new blood on both teams, it'll be interesting to see how they react to the older players rivarly with each other. Yukon currently sits only one point back from Maine in the standings and it will be quite a battle down the stretch. I'm sure that both squads are ready to go at each other even in the regular season. Maine could probably say a few other teams are rivals but Yukon surely has been the paramount one of late.

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

As a proud member of the Carolina Kraken I can safely say our rivals are Detroit. Do I know why? No. But a good rivalry can be devoid of any good reason. While better reasons have developed in recent years, I can safely say there is a 3+ year history of Detroit hatred in my veins. My first memory of hating Detroit came back in my rookie season, Season 52 with Carolina, and we faced Detroit in the playoffs (could've been S53 but they swept us back then so... gonna choose to believe it was S52 so the index can't prove me wrong). Rookie season, on the way to the cup, and we just opened up with a lil "Fuck Detroit" and you know what? I still hate Detroit. It's just what happens when you face teams a lot in the playoffs and are both in the same division. And it's not like I'm gonna hate Maine, they're playoff cursed. Just gotta respect the rivalry of two good teams going hard with some all gas no brakes. Squid on top

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

The rivalry with the St. Louis Scarecrows goes beyond mere competition; it's a saga of intertwined destinies in the sporting realm. Old history provides the foundation, with classic showdowns etched into the annals of both franchises. Yet, it's recent history that breathes life into this intense competition, with nail-biting matches and playoff clashes becoming the norm. Personal beef between players and memorable on-field confrontations only intensify the animosity, creating narratives that fans eagerly anticipate. The antagonism extends to branding, as both teams vie not just for victories but also for the loyalty of a fiercely divided fan base. Moreover, the draft plays a significant role in this rivalry, with the Scarecrows having once passed on pivotal players who went on to become iconic for our team. This adds a narrative layer, making every encounter a symbolic battle for supremacy and vindication. So, when the Scarecrows appear on the schedule, it's not just a game; it's a continuation of a storied rivalry, a clash of histories, and a test of who will emerge triumphant in this ongoing saga.

Rivalry wise I think QCC’s big one this year are the Scarecrows. Fighting for the same playoff spot is bound to make any two teams hate eachother. Both teams also had huge drafts this year which could result in a lot of beef growing between the players as they battle eachother for the next 4-5 years.
It also didn’t help the rivalry when one of QCC’s rookies wrote about how bad the scarecrows start was, but to be fair I did that way back with my ex-player during my rookie season so can’t comment.
There’s also the aspect of while, not being a crow, our mascot is a bird… I think an eagle I honestly don’t know. And the scarecrow’s main job to scare away birds. It was built in our blood to hate eachother.
As the season comes to a close and playoffs get closer in sight the rivalry will just ramp up

[Image: ROZESIG.png?ex=6622170a&is=660fa20a&hm=2...height=655]