Create Account

S74 PT#1: Poindexter Painpoints

ISFL Affiliate

Jerry Moonshine understands the benefits of a little alcohol money, his dad once would work weekends at Target while working as an accountant during the week, why? Because as he put it "That's my beer money son"

This always stuck with Jerry, any money outside of your normal work is beer money, a different pool of funds with no guilt. He also accepted the deal expecting it to show how good of a passer he is, but instead he is now the #2 goal scorer on his team, he never thought he would end up as a top scorer and honestly it's a little unnerving to him. The stats guys are telling him he is doing well, but the team is still losing and Jerry is frustrated by the praise... But the beer money helps cushion the frustration, at least for now; but the beer money isn't gonna last long

PBE affiliate

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

Option 2:

If any company would come up to me and ask them to wear some equipment to be able to get data based on hockey to improve stats in analytics, I would be all for doing whatever I can do to help out. Being able to help out a company like that to be able to provide in-depth high-quality stats to be able to produce to the fans of the game would be awesome. Also secondary it would be fun for me as a player to be able to see the stats that I am producing with the equipment. I am wearing it to see how I play compared to my teammates and other players in the league. Maybe this equipment will be able to help players show themselves what stats they are performing well in and what stats they might need to work on moving forward in the league to get better. Either way being able to be a person that helps out a company to Stats to everyone including the fans, and players would be something I would take a lot of pride in and do for however long they needed it.

Option 1

I know that you might all think that Meta Knight, all-star, and one of the top guys in Minnesota for the last handful of seasons now is rightly rated as one of their key guys who helps pull them up the standings and into the playoffs over the seasons, but he is not rated high enough! He has been a key piece on the team even back into the end of the dark time, you know, when the Monarchs hadn't seen playoffs in a long time and have really troublesome times getting any good results? Yeah, Meta Knight has been with the team since that ended. He is one of the key reasons why that time has been ending. He has been putting up consistent over ppg seasons at this point, and leading the team's offence AND defense. He does it all. Really. And he is relied upon as a key center, yeah Eddie is just as important in the role of course, but Meta Knight is the guy. Surely that should be enough for you guys to agree that he really should be rated even higher league-wide. THankfully with the team improving he has been really opening up the dam and putting up more and more points, being quite high in the league leaders last season in some stats, so maybe people outside Minnesota will learn, but we should really be banging the drum more so to speak so people start putting him up there with the best in the league where he belongs! ANd he is just really showing us what he can do now, he still has a handful of seasons left of these top performances!

Analytics are the future in just about every sport. While baseball was the first professional sport that really embraced analytics, mostly due to the nature of sport and the limited outcomes creating more meaningful datasets quickly, analytics have still made their way into more and more sports. In football, folks are constantly discussing fourth down chances and whether it makes sense to go for it or quick field goals. Still trying to figure out the meaningful stats, but they are getting there. Hockey seems the furthest behind in the analytics game, but it is also a chaotic sport with constantly changing variables. To that end, Jon St. Ark would be happy to partner with a local team and wear some monitoring equipment to help collect analytics data. Perhaps around how often a goalie moves in the crease, or range of movement, or even reaction time and how that corresponds to save chances. It could also help with understanding what positions are best in the goal, so that St. Ark can further optimize his game.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

If Red Kirkby a right winger on the simulation hockey team Philadelphia Forge in the Eastern Conference was offered the chance to wear performance tracking metrics inside of his equipment that would not interfer with his play at all even in the slightest then you betchya he would do it. Not only would it go towards helping a fan of the game and his team it would also give him back some valuble data on how his game was. In the modern day where every little thing is analysed or improved through monitoring or sports science any edge no matter how tiny you can get over your opponent is worth its weight in gold. Since Red joined the Forge they have won only one cup while exiting in either the conference finals or finals proper five times, who knows if a minute advantage would have pushed the team over the edge and into one of the best potential dynastys in league history.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

Simmer PT Pass

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Thomas liebold might be the most underrated player in the league let alone the team he truly has that dawg in him. As a mid first round pick in the shl draft and a third round pick in the smjhl draft no one expected much from him but he has made a name for himself on and off the ice. He plays a physical game and excels at defense although he’s a forward he’s also the teams third string goalie and emergency backup so he’s truly a Swiss Army knife. His teammates call him jack because he is a jack of all trades. Even other teams love him but mainly because he tends to turn over the puck to them often in games. He is an all star on the penalty kill and would probably play on it more if he wasn’t the one who gets most of his teams penalties

Written Task: A well-known analytics site has asked your player to wear monitoring equipment for the season to help them improve their product and create more stats for public consumption. They're offering to pay you (not a lot, they're just a fan site!) and the equpiment will not interfere with your play. Do you accept? Why or why not?

Sean Davies would 110% agree to this. Davies is a total stat nerd, so he'd be totally stoked to have more stats to spend hours combing over. It's even better if it gives something back to the fans who helped get him here. He'd be nothing without them, so of course he's going to take this opportunity as a thank you of sorts. Heck, he'd do all this for free. No need to pay him. Tell the analytics site to keep there money and use it to improve their sire/analytics for the fans (and Davies himself but whose counting). I suppose an argument  against could be that opponents could use these analytics against him, but Davies doesn't care. If they know how he plays so be it. He'll just play better. He wants to advance the game any way he can, and if this is what it takes so be it. So hook him up with any devices and thingamajigs needed and let the data flow!

Option 2

I would probably accept the deal and wear the doohickey for the analytics site. Obviously people on this site are going to be more inclined to care about regular and advanced stats and be able to have endless meaningless conversations about the differences between players based on arbitrary numbers. If it doesn't effect anything and I get paid then it seems like a fair proposition and I would be okay furthering that goal of letting armchair internet coaches thrive in the competitive debate environment. Steve Harrington has plenty money as it is so that wouldn't really be a concern for him. Maybe in the future all of this stuff will be analyzed off film by AI or heck even live from AI controlled cameras or who knows what but until that day some of these stats can be hard to work on so I will help out the fan site I suppose.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

Option 1: Graphic

[Image: MaxStat.png?ex=658925fb&is=6576b0fb&hm=5...2fe4d8d82&]

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]

I would be all for helping out the analytics. I’m a very data-driven person, in real life I am a statistics major in college. So I would love to be a part of data collection, and make a little bit of money while doing so. I think collecting more data is great for understanding the sport, it’s something we’ve seen happen over the past few decades, more data leading to a better understanding of hockey. I do wonder what kind of stats we are looking at here, with tracking technology I can imagine it would be looking at speed in different scenarios, or frequencies of being in different places on the ice. Either way I’m all for it, and I love to see more data collected. Especially for my own stats. Everyone tells you it’s bad for your confidence to look at your own stats but I can’t help myself, I will always be looking

[Image: NYR73.gif]
sigs from @sulovilen @_Blitz_ @Ragnar and @enigmatic

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png] [Image: cEbgUph.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2023, 02:57 AM by Seany148. Edited 1 time in total.)

PBE affiliate

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig![Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=661b6612&is=6608f11...0f071bc3c&]

Option 1:

Most basic tier analysts would lambast Slip McScruff's performance with the Montreal Patriotes.  They would point out his rough performance on the advanced stats.  Worst in the team Fenwick For % Relative, fourth from the bottom Corsi For % Relative, 2nd worst Shots Against per 60 AND 2nd worst Shots For per 60.  But you should consider that he's putting up these numbers in the oldest cohort in the league while also putting up minutes he hasn't seen since his days in Winnipeg (except for an outlier season in Los Angeles).  Montreal trusts him enough to ride the top power play squad and top penalty kill where he's put up 2 power play assists and a shorthanded assist.

Sure, it's impressive that the other two oldies are the best and among the best on all the advanced stats categories.  Sure, Slip McScruff may be third wheeling this old folks power squad.  But, Slip McScruff is the most underrated player on this team because people literally don't bother to rate him.  He's putting up pedestrian numbers with more opportunity than he might deserve, and that's something in year 20... 9? 30?

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]