Create Account

S75 SMJHL PT #5 - MVP Due: Monday, March 11th at 11:59PM PST

Who should win the MVP? I'm not scared to show a bit of bias here. Lily Jin Morrow carried a very weak Whalers team, averaging over a point per game and accounting for damn near a quarter of Vancouver's goals on the ENTIRE SEASON. This is a team that didn't hit the back of the net a lot, as they had 209 goals for the entire season, 45 of which were hammered home by Lily Jin Morrow. I know most people won't look past that Lily didn't even finish on the top 10 list for points in the SMJHL, but honestly when half of that list is full of Quebec players that ran up the score on the league, who really cares? I challenge you to find a more valuable player to their team than Lily Jin Morrow. And if the Whalers continue to grow, watch out because I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from Lily.

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

There are several players that deserve to win MVP. Froya Solberg is for sure the favorite, considering they scored 7 more goals than anyone else in the entire league, AND had more assists than anyone as well. Shadow Fenix is another, considering they were among the top goal scorers and assisters in the league while playing for a much less stacked team. And Song-Ju Gong is my third, considering the importance of a strong goaltender performance and the GSAx.

At the end of the day, it could be any of the three. Obviously Froya Solberg had a dominant season, but is it really the most valuable when youre whole team had a dominant season? Being able to help your team more than any other player could help their own team is what makes a player MVP to me, and for that reason I would have to say my choice is Shadow Fenix for their spectacular season on an otherwise underwhelming team.

When you’re looking at MVP in the SMJHL, you really have no choice but to first look at the best player on the top team. In this case, Quebec beat the hell out of the league, going 51-12-3 for 105 points and scoring a stupid 354 Goals For. Quebec was led by Froya Solberg, who lead the J in Goals with 56, Assists with 71, and then obviously points with 127. That’s nice and all, but is it MVP worthy? The reason I ask is that everyone on Quebec scored a shit ton of points. Sonja Solberg, Ryland Murphy, and Celeste Desjardins all finished in the Top 5 in scoring, so is any of their seasons really worth the MVP? Quebec would’ve been just fine if any of them just retired from professional hockey, never to be seen again. If I had to pick one, I’d pick Froya, but i think Edouard Lavoie has something to say for leading Maine to a 2nd overall in the league position with a lot less firepower around him. Or Shadow Fenix, who scored 101 points in leading Colorado to a very, very good record as well. Again, they had SOME help, but not the ENTIRE TEAM helping. In the end, Solberg will end up taking it, but it should be considered closer than people think. (222)

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

The MVP is a highly coveted position that only the top player can traditionally be given to the top player in their prospective league. Yet we run into quite the predicament here as I think we should make an exception to how the award is traditionally given out. The Solberg twins would be the perfect example of a reason to make an exception. Giving out one award to be shared by twins would be a great story for the league and go down in history. Froya put up 57 goals to lead the league and also dished out the puck even more racking up 71 assists. Froya ended the season with 127 points and was the main reason that Quebec ended up with the number one seed. Sonja also had a huge impact for Quebec as she had lesser stats but still impressed with over 100 points as she was one hell of a teammate. I say give it to them both!

[Image: BQUqLdM.png]

I think that the player to win the MVP is me, 3WW Wing-mate Roc. Clearly I am the best, I have 3 power, 4 toughness and that's so much more than a regular human has in Magic, which is one of each, or sometimes two of each. Although different characters are legendary and have effects and such that make them much larger. Also they have abilities that can just kill me outright, because I'm not that good a player.

However, to recognize that we also need to market our game to the card game playing individuals, I think the awards committee will choose the 98th ranked skater with points, which is me. I think 45 is the ideal number of points to have, 11 goals and 34 assists is also really the perfect stat line. And with no fights to my name, I'm clearly a player with great reputation and should easily make it in as unanimous MVP.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM by bobdigi9. Edited 1 time in total.)

While he largely would go unnoticed around the league, and even amongst the team, I'd first argue that the Armada MVP for this past season was none other than Fedot Fedorov. This may seem like an odd choice at first. Anchorage's record while Fedorov was in the line-up was a modest 25-20. Coming as somewhat of a shock to the team, it was announced somewhat unceremoniolsy that he would be departing the team and be replaced by Lyle Odelein IV. And while the Armada's record afterwards wasn't vastly different than before (10-11) the team seemed out of sorts and eventually was ousted in the first round. #firegabe

Now that I've got that off my chest, who else from across the league would be deserving of a league MVP....

When doing these kinds of things, the easy/lazy way of doing so is to look at who had the highest point totals. And that makes sense to some degree. But there are already awards for such things. Personally, I've never been a big believer in most points = MVP. With that being said, it's hard to look past the monster season that Froya Solberg had with the Citadelles. After averaging nearly 2 points per game on an otherworldly 20% shooting percentage, it wouldn't be surprising to see her claim the award. Quebec did have a rather stacked team though. If you removed Froya from the equation, would the Citadelles have finished atop the standings? It could be argued they would have having the luxury of rolling out Sonja Solberg, Ryland Murphy and Celeste Desjardins, the latter two just missing out on cracking the 100-point barrier. 

However, I cast my vote for a different player. That being goaltender Herman Stahl of the Colorado Raptors. I admit that choosing a goalie who only played in 33 games for league MVP may seem far-fetched. The Raptors tandem also included Tanner Pitts, who by a statistical viewpoint was the teams "starter" based off volume starts/minutes played (Pitts - 2246 MP / Stahl - 1718 MP). Stahl finished the season going 27-3 though (also putting him in contention for the Cy Young award) to go along with .915 SP% and 2.34 GAA. A big increase over Pitts' numbers (.894 SP%, 3.42 GAA).
Colorado finished the season third overall in the league with a record of 44-21-1. Take away Stahl's 27 wins and plug in Pitts' numbers over the course of a full season and they finish the season with 35 wins, tying them with Regina and Great Falls in the 510 and putting them in jeopardy of missing out on a post-season berth. 

NOTABLE OMISSIONS: Jussi Mutou COL, Sabage Cabage NLB

[Image: bobdigi9.gif]

It's a tough award to hand out, because there's so many ways to look at it. Should it be given to the player with the strongest performance this year? Should it be given to a player with strong results on a bad team? Should it be given to a goalie who kept their team in it? There's a ton of ways you can approach the MVP award, but I feel like it should be the player who's team would suffer the biggest drop if that player wasn't there. With that in mind, I don't think Froya Solberg is a great candidate, despite her incredible stats this season. I think Betzee Nickelback is a very good choice here, as is Lily Jin Morrow who was far and away the best player on a very poor Vancouver team. Anastasia Soderstrom had an incredible rookie season for Detroit as well and is worth looking at as an option.

Who else could it really be besides Froya Solberg? The star center for the Quebec City Citadelles was an offensive machine this season, not only leading the league in points, goals, assists, and plus/minus, but also breaking the single season records for both points and assists. The team does an absolutely crazy amount of scoring while she in on the ice, with an average of 5.9 goals per hour. Unlike a lot of other top scoring forwards who tend to forgo playing defense in an effort to score more, Froya was a very solid defensive player this season. The Citadelles only allowed 2.6 goals per 60 with her on the ice, which included 1:28 of short handed time on ice a game. A once in a lifetime season deserves an almost unanimous MVP vote, and I would be absolutely shocked to see the award handed out to anyone besides Froya Solberg.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

The MVP frontrunner is probably Frøya Solberg leading the first-place Citadelles in goals and points for the whole league, but there are some other players who could get some love as well. One unsung hero could be rookie goalie Anastasia Söderström of the Detroit Falcons. With a Detroit team that's struggled to score goals from time to time, she's still managed to pick up 29 wins throughout the regular season with a 2.68 GAA, .910 save percentage and the second best GSAA despite some struggles in the beginning and end of the season. When she's on, she's been among the very best goalies in the league. Sabage Cabage of the Newfoundland Berserkers should also get some love, having a 49-goal season and helping to propel an underpowered Newfoundland squad to a much-needed division championship. Getting that much scoring on a team that doesn't have as much depth to be able to guard against those big matchups is tough, but Cabage has made it work.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

So with this PT i'm gonna go way outside the box and do something a little different, 1st off What is an MVP and what makes an MVP and MVP? The most points? The most goals? Sure all those are taken into consideration, I value Locker room presence and character. Someone who goes above and beyond. Being new here to SHL and not knowing a lot of the players on other teams i cant make an accurate assessment of each players character and all i have to work off of is Stats. I could easily say the Froya Solberg and be done with this but what's the fun in that?

Without further ado i bring to you The Basement Dweller MVP's!

1. St Louis Scarecrows- LW Alexa Johansen. Why did i pick Alexa?, Why not Supreme Dalek or James Madison? Their Activity and constant involvement on the SHL forums and Discord is far beyond the expectations required. like i said before i value someones presence and activity. big props to you Alexa. you will be a huge asset to the Scarecrows in the future.

2.Vancouver Whalers- LW Lily Jin Morrow, this was by far the most obvious and clear cut MVP for this team. Unbelievable talent and Goal scorer. Most definitely a force in the league for seasons to come and single handedly kept the Whalers their playoff series Vs DET.

3.Kelowna Knights- Another hard choice but i decided to lean on 2 players from this team, their top Goal scorer and point getter LW James MacAvoy and a close 2nd based on things i've seen through the forums and Discord LW Jennifer Huh, Super active and work hard on their Player to be the best they can be. Love to see it!

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: 53556226276_2eace1e209.jpg]
Bleed Black and Gold
[Image: malamutes.png]LD #6 Dash Jackson- Yukon Malamutes Blizzard
[Image: 53364500956_b676deb89a_w.jpg]

I read some of the answers and here and let me tell you, the REAL MVP is Jussi Mutou. Mutou not only dominates in every main categories for the coolorado raptors, but Mutou also took top spots in the ALL TIME SMJHL RECORDS BOOK. A BOOK THAT DATES BACK TO 2013 OR SOMETHING AND MUTOU IS AT THE TOP OF GOALS AND POINTS AND ASSISTS. All this while being a strong and steady locker room presence, watching us sleep so we can be safe, and being a day ahead than most warning us of potential future doomsday. Without Mutou, the raptors would maybe still be a good team, but they wouldn't be a GREAT TEAM or even THE GREATEST TEAM EVER. I think playoffs mutou will make everyone realise why he should be the Most valuable player, he already is the most valuable dinosaur. ON another note I also think Xavier Beausoleil is a good candidate for MVP, he feeds the best passes to Mutou.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

I think as far as most valuable player for the S75 season, it is near impossible to look past the season that Froya Solberg has have. The center for the Quebec City Citadels topped the league in every offensive category. By end of season Solberg finished with 56 goals (1st), 71 Assists (1st), 127 points (1st) and a plus minus of plus 59 (1st). Quebec had a couple players this season that were in the conversation for MVP along with twin line mate Sonja Solberg who had an incredible season on Sonjas part but still finished over 23 points behind their fellow line mate. Even though the MVP is characterized as the most valuable player for their team, I think even with the success that Quebec City had this season and the amount of success her fellow team mates have had you can't deny just how incredible of a season that Froya put up. Overall it was just a master class from start to finish and Froya looks to do the same in the playoffs.

[Image: HIXWkkp.gif]

HE SHOOTS HE SCORES

JOHN LANGABEER NETS IT AND TIES THE GAME!!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND HE SCORES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! JOHN LANGABEER JUST SCORED THE 2 BIGGEST GOALS OF HIS CAREER IN A MATTER OF 10 SECONDS!!!!!!

WEST KENDALL TAKES THE LEAD!!!!

S41 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7, Game Tying and Game Winning Goals.

The only real answer for MVP is Mark “The Tater Tot” Jagerson. It has to be Mark. Look at his stat line. 2 goals this season. That’s right 2 whole goals. 14 assists for a huge total of 16 points. That’s right double digit points. His plus minus was -47. That’s right you can get that far into the negative. I assume that’s a good stat. 66 shots with a 3% shooting percent. 3 whole percent. 16 give aways which actually isn’t to bad and 42 takeaways. Wait 42 takeaways that is actually pretty good. He won 7 of the 11 faceoffs he took giving him a 63.6% faceoff win percentage. Mark blocked 62 shots and hit 88 players. All those players deserved it. Those stats speak for themselves. Other players might try to say they put up fancier numbers but do you know who Mark’s dad is. Because if you do then its pretty clear he deserves this award every season.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]

"The Race for SMJHL's 75th Season MVP"
By Jim Roastman, SportsWeb

As the SMJHL's historic 75th season comes to an end, the race for the Most Valuable Player award has never been more intense. Three standout players have emerged as the top contenders, each with their own remarkable achievements that make the decision a tough one.

First up is: Froya Solberg of the  Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles Citadelles , whose dual league-leading stats of 56 goals and 127 points have set her apart from the competition. Solberg's offensive prowess has been a driving force behind the Citadelles' success this season.

On the defensive end: Song Ju-gong, also of the  Citadelles Quebec City Citadelles Citadelles , has showcased an incredible league-leading 0.918 save percentage AND boasting a 29.57 goals saved above average. Ju-gong's goaltending excellence has been a cornerstone for the Citadelles this season, proving vital in their pursuit of ultimate victory.

Lastly, it could be: Cal Juice of the  Battleborn Nevada Battleborn Battleborn . He has made a compelling case for the MVP title. Despite his team finishing fourth in the league standings, Juice's impressive 46 goals have been a shining light in an otherwise challenging season for the Battleborn.

As the season comes to a close, the SMJHL community eagerly awaits the announcement of the 75th Season MVP, and the choice between Solberg, Ju-gong, and Juice is undoubtedly one of the toughest decisions in recent memory. Each player has left an indelible mark on the league, making the final decision a testament to their outstanding contributions to the sport and to this league.

WC: 244