Create Account

S76 PT #1: One night in Tokyo Due: Sunday, April 14th @ 11:59 PM PST

Option 1: 

Brayden Point always enjoys a chance to travel and see the world.  Having been active on Chirp since joining the league it makes sense that Brayden Point is popular overseas as well as back home. While Brayden is only in the SMJHL with the Head Office marketing internationally to untapped markets naturally a high scoring center would be quite popular (it also does not hurt that Mr. Point is a head office intern.) Upon making it to Japan Brayden Point was invited to a hockey fruit ninja game where he was put into virtual reality and given a big hockey stick to slash the fruit while avoiding slashing other players or even worse the ref. Each fruit is worth 1 point, hockey pucks are smaller and worth 5 points, players are minus 1 point and a 5 second deduction on time, and a ref is minus 10 points and 10 second time deduction. Time can be increased for hitting high combos fast. The idea is a take on the popular game fruit ninja! Brayden Point naturally does well in the show and wins a return trip for him and his team to the Cherry Tree bloom in the next off season. This helps Brayden Point and Detroit/Tampa's popularity - sales have increased with shipping heading to Japan! Brayden Point is a classy player and this game show made him a fan favorite in Japan! "I know I am popular it happens as a center - but understand I am nothing without my team. This is a win for the Detroit team and even more so you the fans!"  Falcons Barracuda

Falcons Hockey fan for life. I pack the heat and score the goals!   Barracuda

[Image: Point_Celly-13020730.gif] 

Hattricked:

Written Option 2: 

How does my team feel about the trip? Well my team feels great because no one from the team has ever been to Japan, so this is a great spot to be. This is also a good spot to start the regular season as the team will almost be forced to get to know each other even more and be more active together, which may not have happened much during the off-season. As for the fans, I'm not really sure that matters too much other than growing the game, as I do not believe the fans in Japan will rise up to the same as those in our home stadium. If the fans in Japan can prove me wrong, then I will change my opinion, but this is definitely a show match to get viewers up across different nations to get owners profits up.

Written option 2:

Ricky Koivu was excited about a trip to Japan for the SHL, and thought it would be a great marketing opportunity for the league. He has always wanted to make a trip there, and being able to do it with his friends and teammates is something like a dream come true for him. Him and his Koivu brothers have already planned an entire itinerary for experiencing the culture on their off-days down in Tokyo. Last time Japan was involved in an official SHL event it went rather poorly and caused controversy, so it was great for the league to plan something that would be more positive. Koivu especially enjoyed visiting the local Honda outlets, and showing off his learning level 3 Japanese, which he acquired through weekly classes, to the employees. Ricky and some of his pals even made a special edition SHL Trading Card collectible for one of the employees there, who was very grateful for the act. (159 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Option 2
Kristian Seppanen is thrilled about the opportunity to play in a new market, like Japan. Kristian Seppanen hopes that in the future, the league takes its global series to his home country, Finland. Kristian Seppanen feels as though an opportunity to expand the league market is good for the league, its players, and the sport. As Kristian Seppanen's manager and agent, I am thrilled about the possible new revenue streams, as it surely means players will get paid more and I can gamble it all away on Hungarian table tennis, right? Kristian Seppanen is a bit disappointed to have missed out on the home opener in Atlanta, as it would have been his first game at home at Atlanta - however, that game is just being postponed a little bit and will eventually be happening anyways. Kristian Seppanen really wishes he could score his first hat trick in the game, as he made a bet with teammates that he would be the first star of the game, and his entire pay check for the season relies on this bet going through.

Option 2

Japan is pretty cool, but I never really thought of it as a place where hockey would enjoy much success.. at least in comparison to bigger sports in the area like baseball - I don't think many can match their love of baseball. Of course, there's no harm in sharing the love of the game with other countries so why not. It's unlikely the Atlanta Inferno would send Mia Lavoie to participate in the game as she's still playing down in the SMJHL for the Maine Timber, but if she were given the opportunity to go she'd happily do so. Who turns down a sweet trip to Japan? Sure there probably won't be a lot of fans there, but there might be some and there's always the chance to win some over. Maybe some kid will go to the game for funsies and decide to become a hockey player or maybe just a lifelong fan, eventually making the trip to Atlanta (lol imagine if their first trip to the US was Atlanta, but anyways) to see the Inferno? That'd be awesome.

(180 words)

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

Option 2

So we are going to travel to Japan for two games. I had mixed feelings about this first. It's not like I don't like to travel, I do that all the time, not only during the season - remember I played for Newfoundland in the SMJHL? We had really far distances to travel to even get to play other teams - but also during the off-season. I just really like routines better and going that far to just play two games, of which I will likely only play one, and then go back home, adjust to everything again and jump right into the next game, well, that part I don't really like. Of course I'm excited to see a new country and do all the sightseeing in Japan with my teammates, but it's still a business trip after all and not a vacation. If I wanted to really enjoy the country, I'd go on my own time. We're professionals and every game of the season is important, even those two. At the same time I understand that the Global Series is important for the SHL as well. In the end I'll probably have to wait until it's over to have a real opinion about how I liked it.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Option 2

Any opportunity to play in a new emerging market will be an exciting one for Ylib Kove and the Yukon Malamutes. The home crown in Yukon is always a joy to play in front of, but a couple of games overseas has a completely unique energy that can't be replicated with the same rotation of cities in North America. Playing in Japan is a great opportunity for team bonding since there's plenty of time outside of the games to explore the country with teammates. During game time however, the novelty of the global series has to be ignored because the matches are still just as important to the regular season standings. Every player has a unique opportunity to win the support of these new fans by showing off their best skills on the ice. This requires full focus. Additional fan interaction can happen before and after the game to further spread the enjoyment of the game. Overall, the trip is a great opportunity for both the players and the fans.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

Written Option 2:

It's been a great experience coming to Seattle this season, and I'm loving the city and team so far. The expectations for the team are pretty low, since the organization is moving through a rebuild, so it was a bit surprising to know we were going to be in a showcase match in Japan to start the season. Some guys seemed a little annoyed and said they'd rather stay stateside, but for me it's an opportunity I never would have expected, and so I'm trying to embrace that aspect. Some guys have family back home they don't want to be away from, so I guess for a single guy like me that makes it a lot easier to be gone for a bit. It's going to be really cool to play in front of a totally different crowd, and I'm looking forward to showing them all what the SHL has to offer. (160 words)

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

isfl affiliate

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

Prompt 2:

Since when is there an untapped hockey market in Japan? Do they even have ice over there? Seems weird to me but I don't make the rules I just play the games so whatever. I'll still have a good time, it's always fun to play in any "event" type game. I heard Japan is really scary and there's a bunch of tentacle guys everywhere so I gotta watch out for that. On the focus of the game itself, I think that it would be extra important to win this hypothetical global series game. I know it would all count for the same in the standings, but any time you wind up playing in a special game like that you want to come out on top. Something like this can bring a lot of really fun memories, but putting a loss on top of it could taint the entire situation. We're not missing out on any home opener, we'll just have a real one when we get back home anyway.

So option 1 and honestly I doubt maybe people here will have ever heard of the legendary game show but Isaac is going on a revived Takeshi's Castle!

It's reruns are pretty popular here or a while back. Basically it was like a crazy obstacle course or puzzle gameshow where they would win like..I dont even know a dish washer? I think that was the meme but this was the 80s and 90s so not the worst prize ever. Isaac is going on that if I am forced to have him on a game show and bringing back a classic.

Funny thing is I do not know which challenge he fails at cause they are random and bloody hard to streak. So lets just say he fails at the final boss challenge like 90% of people do!

Ironically this makes Isaac angry on the surface but secretly happy he got to play something he enjoyed watching as a kid in Wales.

[164 words]

Raptors Proud S67 - S69 Colorado Raptors Captain  Raptors
Uk S57 Forward of the Season Award winner  Uk

Blizzard Now Isaac Forty-One Switzerland

[Image: 41-2.png?ex=65d9e0d0&is=65c76bd0&hm=ada7...1aae5535a&]

Option 2: 
Nathan is struggling with the idea of going to Japan, he knows its just a friendly but I don't understand why they chose Japan. Ice hockey as a sport basically doesn't exist in Japan and the situation there makes it permanently a Neche. It is an incredibly expensive sport and rinks are hard to find in Japan and I am confused as why we are going there. I am just weirded out by playing in front of such a tiny crowd. We play the Fighters and just dominate. They are just not good compared to professional players in the west and I just feel bad about it. It feels like we are playing a college team as professionals. It just feels wrong but this is my job and so I must do it. I am very competitive and yes the team and I have fun outside the game, during the game my competiveness just makes me feel wrong.

[Image: Make-a-photo-realistic-epic-image-of-a-h...a-go-1.png]

Option 1:

This sounds like a fun idea although I would argue that going for the "Oh, the Japanese and their crazy game show" could be considered a tad offensive in a league that strives to be inclusive and sensitive in so many other areas these days. But no need to take this seriously, it's a fun prompt and I like it. So for my Japanese game show, I would go for something along the lines of Takeshis Castle. It could actually work beautifully because it would allow us to include both me and some other players that are involved in the Japan Series (or other public figures), to compete with and against the Fans! Me and the other celebs would serve as the team Defending the castle, while about a 100 fans or so would be the ones who get to go on the attack. The fans would get the unique chances to get plastered with water, fake stones or slime by some of their heroes and we would have fun just playing a silly game.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Option 2

While it is exciting for Louise St. Martin to open the season in Japan, she questions how much value it actually has growing the game. Not to mention that the novelty isn't quite there with her having played in the IIHF World Championship there a few seasons ago.

My personal opinion on these overseas games is that yeah, they will expose fans to the game, and it's a nice change from being in USA/Canada all the time for the players, but unless you're setting up stuff at the grassroots level it really won't leave any lasting impact in terms of growing the game. It just becomes this neat novelty thing that people check out because it's there and it's the best in the world, but they won't connect with it and more often than not it just goes by without actually increasing participation or improving development. Big money orgs playing in nontraditional markets and doing nothing else isn't what grows the game, it's getting people to participate in the sport at low levels. So, Louise would probably try to set up a youth Learn to Play clinic or something ahead of the game, so long as she gets over her jet lag quickly enough.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]