Create Account

S76 PT #2: Oohh, yo momma fight! Due: Sunday, April 21st @ 11:59 PM PST

Quote:Written Option 2: If you could change one rule in hockey, of any league, which rule would you change, how would you change it, and why that particular rule?

If I could tweak one rule in hockey, I'd focus on the NHL's overtime format. Currently, NHL overtime consists of a sudden-death period lasting five minutes, played with fewer skaters (3-on-3) to open up space and encourage scoring opportunities. However, if no team scores during this period, the game proceeds to a shootout, where teams take turns sending out players in one-on-one attempts against the opposing goalie.

My proposed change would be to extend the overtime period to ten minutes and eliminate the shootout entirely during the regular season. This adjustment aims to prioritize team play and reduce the outcome's reliance on individual skill. With a longer overtime, there's more time for the game to reach a natural conclusion, potentially leading to more decisive outcomes without resorting to the shootout's somewhat arbitrary nature.

Maintaining the excitement of 3-on-3 play while extending the duration allows for a fairer assessment of teams' abilities and encourages more strategic, dynamic gameplay. Additionally, eliminating the shootout in favor of extended overtime preserves the integrity of the sport by emphasizing team effort over individual prowess. Overall, this change aims to enhance the thrill of overtime hockey while ensuring a fairer resolution to closely contested games.

[Image: BnanaNWaffles.gif]
Sig by @Ragnar / Avatar by @leviadan
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]  [Image: qtbn8zh.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]

Option 2

This is probably the easiest PT I've ever had to write, because there's one rule coming up in IIHF hockey that just does not make any sense, whatsoever.

Over the past decade, countless former enforcers in the NHL, along with physical players in other big sports leagues like the NFL, have been diagnosed with serious brain injuries as a result of repeated blows to the head. And yet, the big hockey leagues worldwide still refuse to crack down on fighting.

We've seen countless players take sticks, pucks, and elbows to the face, yet there has never been any serious mention of anyone wanting to mandate full cages for players in all age categories.

Goalies sustain serious injuries from players colliding with them, yet we only make it harder on them and limit their abilities to defend themselves.

Yet one guy takes a skate to the neck in a freak accident, and unfortunately doesn't survive, and the IIHF loses its shit and mandates neck protectors for everyone.
If they really want to make the sport safer, take a good hard look at ways to ban or severely punish fighting, headshots and blindsided hits. But as long as they're turning a blind eye to that, mandating neck guards is just a diversion tactic and completely unnecessary.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Written Option 2: If you could change one rule in hockey, of any league, which rule would you change, how would you change it, and why that particular rule?

If I could change one rule in hockey it would be the icing rule. While is makes sense that you can't just flip the puck all the way out of your zone in a defensive play, it is only really allowed because of the pace of hockey. If you look at the similar sport of soccer, you can see that while a lot of the rules are the same, there is no penalty for kicking the ball as far as you can. Now, we can not just get rid of the icing penalty, but it should be morphed into something more than a defensive zone faceoff. We should take the penalty rule and change it to more of a basketball theme. The opposing team gets to set up in the other zone with one person out and they haver 5 seconds to make an entry by pass. This allows for a team to get a better advantage when the other team chooses to ice it to get a break. This will also lead to more goal scoring chances which would bring casual viewers to the game.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Option 2:

The rules I change it hockey would be more related to two specific areas. The first area being video reviews on offside. Some of these offside calls are getting so close like a quarter of a second from being on side and it negates a goal. It only makes it worse when the play continues in the teams end for a minute or two before scoring. Then the review takes the call back, like that fraction of a second should not make a difference specially after that long in the zone. It angers me as well as hockey is one of the sports where the puck can hit the ref and not get called dead. but it could lead to a horrible bounce for a team that leads to goal against. That ruins the play more then a little offside. I believe hockey is the only sport that allows this without whistling the play dead. So it is definitely something for the league to look into.

160+

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Inactive forever is beefing with former player Parker Smeb on twitter this week. Fans of the syndicate were displeased to see a former team legend calling out a current player for a play where Sad Katchup got hit by an enforcer in a game earlier this week. Forever didn't step up to the plate to fight him.

Parker tweeted this:

"sad to see that todays current players wont even fight to protect their teammates, Inactive forever is a scrub and needs to learn that hes not the star of this team. Wakey wakey bud"

Forever then responded:
"bro i respect you but im like five foot nothing, what am i supposed to do, punch someone in the knee?"

Fans got a laugh out of forevers response, mainly because hes just so much funnier than parker in every way conceivable. but they were still dissappointed in seeing two players who should be respecing one another beefing

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Pass Forfeit recently got into a twitter (or I guess xitter which reads so much worse) beef with Base Pack recently over whose name is more realistic. Both players who were formerly teammates with no ill will towards each other on the Carolina Kraken now are fighting over a useless beef. One might suggest that it isn't real and they are just doing it for publicity sake since they are getting older and less relevant, this is true and unavoidable but also there may be some internal conflict that the two are hashing out. This also may have been started as the Los Angeles Panthers destroyed the Forge in a 12-0 win just recently and the two thought it would be good fun to start a beef online. Nonetheless, it will be important to watch the next game between these two friendly rivals as it could lead to some sparks flying or line brawls. Though it is most likely not gonna happen.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

In al of hockey, but more specifically, the National Hockey League, and ergo the Simulation Hockey League, there is a rule that has limited the game since it's introduction 20ish years ago. The trapezoid behind the goalie. Let's open the game back up, let's bring back trap style defensive plays. It's a rule that is unfortunate, but necessary at times. You know what would help that as well? Let's allow the goalies to get hit in the corners. Let's change their pads and get some good old tyme hockey back up in the game. It's about tyme we get the game back to some entertaining swills. Let's see a goalie get so good at passing that they're effectively a 3rd D back there, but let's see them get rocked the same way the other players do. What this means is that because their pads are smaller, that you'll see more goals getting let in too. It also makes it so, hopefully, hopefully, goalies won't be such weirdos. But that's a bigger ask than taking away a trapezoid.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Option 1

I only know how to beef with one player, and that's Demir Bellona. From the moment we started in this league we have been bitter rivals. At first, Bellona got a huge head start, but this season I've really taken the lead. And Bellona just can't stand to see me winning. They're always reposting super biased mega-fan delusions about offsides and missed penalties. It's ridiculous that they'd even stoop that low. Just because they had to go betray their OG Franchise and go join a bottom feeder doesn't mean the usual success and rigging came along with them. I just ignore it honestly, I'm not that low to care about what they're saying. But I do look, and occasionally I like a comment calling out their delusions just to keep the social media eagles happy. They really can't let me be seen winning.

(as always, this is for the plot, not for the real)

Option 2

The rule I would change could effect multiple leagues all across the sim world and real life. That rule would be the no tampering rule. I get it, owners don't want to have their star players poached before even getting a chance to sign them and bring them back into the fold. I also understand no one really loves super teams, unless you happen to play for that super team or are a fan of them. And league wide parity helps with growth and in real life revenue. But how amazing would it be for a GM to go to players he knows would be a fit for his team and help coax them onto his team. They would be better prepared of whom they would bring back from their exsiting roster, make better trades, and could build a super roster. But as a caveat to this to make things a bit more even, the conversation need to be made public between player and the GMs who are trying to poach.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

2) I think there's a lot in the NHL that can or should be done with regards to penalties and the ends of games. Either when going into overtime, leaving overtime, or when a team is up by one. I feel like it's quite common to play as dirty or clutch and grabby as possible in the dying seconds to protect a lead, or to make sure you go to a shootout at the end of overtime. I don't think it's a super unique idea, but I've always loved the suggestion that a penalty at the very end of the game should add time to the clock. So if you're winning 4-3 and defending against an extra attacker, you can't just slash a bunch of sticks in half with 2 seconds left to ensure the win-- if you do that you're killing a full 2 minutes of extra time. I think this extra time would be more exciting, and it would also add some fairness to the end of games. Make players accountable for what they do in the dying seconds!

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

If I could change one rule in hockey, I would modify the rule prohibiting kicking the puck into the net to allow for more creative and skillful goal-scoring opportunities. Currently, if a player intentionally kicks the puck into the net, the goal is disallowed. My proposed change would allow goals to count if the puck is kicked into the net, provided that the kick is not a distinct kicking motion. This change would require officials to use video review to determine whether a kick was intentional or accidental, similar to how they currently review goals for high sticks or distinct kicking motions. This change would enhance the game by allowing for more diverse scoring methods while maintaining the integrity of the sport. It would reward players for their creativity and agility, adding excitement for fans and making the game even more thrilling to watch. Imagine the shootout goals we would see allowing a kicking motion goal.

The irony of birds on bird hate crimes
[Image: IMG_9252.png?ex=6633a2d3&is=66212dd3&hm=...ca706e05e&]

Written Option 2: I always come up with random ideas that would make the game of hockey better for both the fans and the players. One rule that I'm a big advocate for in the NHL and would also love to see it implemented into the SHL and SMJHL is the three-point system. In leagues such as the NBA where there are only wins and losses, it makes sense for a loss to be worth nothing in the standings. In a league like the NHL and SHL, where overtime rules are designed to end games quickly and decisively, I do think that it makes sense to award a team who loses in an often flukey overtime a point. With this said, I think teams should be awarded for winning in regulation, which comes down more to skill, rather than a 3 on 3 mini game. This would allow teams who are better in regulation to make the playoffs more often than teams who rely on 3 on 3s or shootouts to pick up 3 points.

[Image: mikelis.jpg?ex=660c1ce5&is=65f9a7e5&hm=c...4a38cd630&]
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024, 09:53 PM by Kyamprac.)

Prompt 2

Right now I'm kind of loving some of the rules and the points system in the PWHL. One of my favorite differences from the NHL is the "jailbreak" style penalty kills. If your team gets a penalty but manages to get a shorthanded goal, your player gets to come out of the box kind of like what happens in dodgeball when you catch a ball. Some might argue the shortie is reward enough and your team should still have to serve time for the penalty, but I think it makes the PP/PK dynamic more fun and exciting as both teams push a little harder offensively. It's also kind of a nice option to have in those situations where refs maybe make a softer, arguably game balancing call. So yeah, it might be fun if the NHL or even the SHL had a similar rule (although I don't even know if such a thing could happen in this sim lol I suspect it's not that flexible. But still).

(168 words)

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

This one might be drastic, but all hits to the head – including during fighting – should result in an automatic suspension. Professional sports, in general, have handled the debate around head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and neurodegenerative diseases very poorly. The brain is a very delicate Jello-like organ that is not meant to endure constant impacts, and we must consider the long-term consequences. Life is too precious, and the brain is too complex, to allow reckless and constant hits to the head. Hits to the head do not bring anything to the show and have devastating effects. The NHL changed somehow its approach after Crosby was injured a few years ago, but it seems like the league no longer cares. Even the recent death of enforcers who struggled a lot with depression, mental health issues, cognitive problems, domestic violence and anger – even if we managed to link degenerative brain disease to repeated head trauma – nothing is done. One hit, you’re out for a few games.

WC:162

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!