Create Account

(GRADED) Popol's Deep Dive #1: Suggestion for a new piece
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2024, 11:42 PM by Scrufdaddy. Edited 1 time in total.)

I wanted to do a deep dive on an improvement that I believe could add another layer of professionalism to the SHL.

Before I go into depth on what this is and how it could work, I'd just like to shootout Crazy Tomato who is the reason why this came to my mind. He shared on our team's Discord server that he had just done a trade in a football sim league and when I looked up the league on google, I stumbled upon an in site wiki page with multiple links and I found this quite fascinating. Enough for me to think how this could work in the SHL.

What is it?
Like I mentioned in my previous paragraph, the project that I would love to see implemented is a wiki for all things related to the league. There would be a page for the league itself, but there could also be an abundance of pages on different subjects related to the league. I will go deeper below on what are the possibilities of the pages we could create, but just as quick example, we could have a page for each awards where the award is explained, the reasoning behind the name, a list of all winners and the current holder along with any special story or controversy related to that award.

Where would this be?
The wiki would be attached to the league's website. The easiest solution would probably be to have the main page be wiki.simulationhockey.com

What would be in the wiki
We could have pages for so many things! The wiki could be used as a once stop shop for all things history related. Think of how useful this could be if you're doing a deep dive on a team's history. Here a few ideas
- The SHL: As a hole, the concept, who created it. A page for mostly designed for people who are not a part of the league to understand what is going on here.
- The SHL: page on the actual pro league. Could have sections on many subjects and have links to many subsections.
- The SMJHL: similar to previous SHL.
- Teams page: a page for each team. There could be a templates, but it would probably something along the lines of: the history of the team, the current players, the front office, the jerseys that are retired, special moments in the team's history, etc.
- Awards page: a page for each award. See my example in What is it? section of this Deep Dive.
- Player page: a page for each player. Now, the Head Office (or whoever is in charge of this project) would need to decide a guideline on this. I would recommend that for a player to be eligible to have a page, he must have been in the league for at least one season. A template would probably need to be followed
- Draft page: a page for each draft with the order of selection
- Portal page: explains what it is, how it works, where to find the info
- Record page: Self-explanatory. We could have all SHL and SMJHL records on the page.
- Hall of Fame: Have a list of all players in the HOF
- and many other things depending on the level of interest of the participants: page on the creators of the league, page for each season that explains what happened in it, tutorial on how to create a player, etc.

Who would do all this work?
Now we come to the good part. I see all the work that has to be done in two major sections. The first is the hardest and its creating all the pages from scratch and bringing them up to date. The second part of all the work would be to keep the pages up to date as the years would go by.

My suggestion would be to make this part of the media section (or just have this be it's own thing). People would be paid in league's money to write the wiki pages and their writing would be verified/graded by a panel similar to what is currently being done for graphics/podcasts/media articles right now.

The pay to update a line of stats would be quite low (maybe we would have this part automated?) compares to building a page from scratch, which would be a lot more.

Conclusion
Ultimately however, I would only do this if you see a high level of interest from the league as whole. Since this could be a lot of work, you want people to be motivated to work on it. You would probably need a team to supervise the whole thing and create a gameplan for this. I did not take a look at what the other league did, but it could be a good idea to see in detail.

We have some excellent writers in the SHL who I believe would do a wonderful job with this.

The page I saw that gave me the idea: https://wiki.sim-football.com/view/Main_Page

Quote:839 words

[Image: image.png?ex=6626bf9c&is=66144a9c&hm=d87...height=676]

Thank you Jay for the graphic!

We had toyed around with the idea of it back in 2020 I think. But couldn’t get it off the ground. That being said a couple of the ideas there are on the portal

https://portal.simulationhockey.com/history

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

04-13-2024, 07:56 PMluke Wrote: We had toyed around with the idea of it back in 2020 I think. But couldn’t get it off the ground. That being said a couple of the ideas there are on the portal

https://portal.simulationhockey.com/history

That's unforunate. Hopefully you toy around with it again!

04-14-2024, 08:57 AMPopol Wrote: That's unfortunate. Hopefully you toy around with it again!

Approved @Popol @CptSquall

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]