Create Account

NWJHL Player Rights

We should try to get this done ASAP. Like 4 the next season, not this season as that would be quite difficult.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 05:21 PM

In Vancouver (my season) it was a great locker room... its why were were probably the most active team in the NWJHL... it would have been interesting to see if we could have defended our Cup (then again GM change I bet we wouldn't have :lolSmile.

Going to Montreal I'd have to say is what kept me interested in the league since it was a new challenge and got to experience a different style would we have been the same kind of LR if we had a new GM (tbh there was a point where Phil was awesome in our LR and always talking with us there)... We were a bunch of head cases at times and idk imo if Hallsy could have handled the locker room :lol: .. If we were able to pick a successor then maybe we could have kept the connection we had but when big changes are made... people act weird Smile

I think you'd agree you'd prefer to identify who doesn't work well with who in jrs instead of discovering too late that Player A and B hate each other and it spills out all over the league... Where in jrs its a test run to see who likes who and see if you need to trade any cancers.

Well as I said junior teams would still be allowed to make trades, so a GM would have lots of options to build his team or change things if some people don't get along.
You had a very positive experience in Montreal and I think that's (understandably) why you like the old system so much. But I think that most players would be happier if they got to spend another year with their old junior squad, than being sent down to a completely new team, and if they don't they'd still have the option to ask their NWJHL-GM for a trade. And while you had a great time in Montreal that doesn't guarantee that it's like this for other send-downs. What if your affiliate has a shitty GM or drafts a recreate that you don't get along with? Those things can happen in both systems, so I don't think they should be used in an argument agains the new one.
Plus, something I haven't really thought about before, I think it would be a big help for junior players if they got more veteran leadership on their junior teams, and the new system would help distribute these veterans pretty evenly around the entire league, while in the old one more often then not 2-3 teams ended up with a bunch of experienced send-downs, while others had none at all and the Rookies were lost, worst case in an inactive locker-room as well.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Green@Apr 10 2013, 10:12 AM
I like the idea, makes draft picks worth more as well for the junior teams; as now you can actually have a shot at keeping your players for over multiple years.

Yeahthat

Would be a lot more strategy involved for NWJHL GMs , which is good.

Although I can see why Impact dislikes it, seeing how they get the best send downs every year. Rolleyes

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Apr 10 2013, 12:32 PM

Well as I said junior teams would still be allowed to make trades, so a GM would have lots of options to build his team or change things if some people don't get along.
You had a very positive experience in Montreal and I think that's (understandably) why you like the old system so much. But I think that most players would be happier if they got to spend another year with their old junior squad, than being sent down to a completely new team, and if they don't they'd still have the option to ask their NWJHL-GM for a trade. And while you had a great time in Montreal that doesn't guarantee that it's like this for other send-downs. What if your affiliate has a shitty GM or drafts a recreate that you don't get along with? Those things can happen in both systems, so I don't think they should be used in an argument agains the new one.
Plus, something I haven't really thought about before, I think it would be a big help for junior players if they got more veteran leadership on their junior teams, and the new system would help distribute these veterans pretty evenly around the entire league, while in the old one more often then not 2-3 teams ended up with a bunch of experienced send-downs, while others had none at all and the Rookies were lost, worst case in an inactive locker-room as well.

Rookie Mentorship team was created to combat the issue of helping rookies ... how well its doing idk.

That's why I said the affiliate should have the co-GM of SHL team being the NWJHL GM .. this would put more pressure on the SHL Head GMs to make sure they are actually hiring a good co-GM instead of someone who "has been here for a while and just wants a title".. Plus if the Head GM won't talk to their co-GM about send downs... then who would they talk to!

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

Quote:Originally posted by Chair De'Burlap@Apr 10 2013, 11:17 AM
To respond to an earlier comment in the thread, not every alumni should have their junior teams LR access.  It would get crazy cluttered and possibly become intimidating.   I think that have 2-4 veteran presences in the LR is enough to help the juniors get accustomed and learn the ropes.

Not full LR access, but a section of it, perhaps. A sub-forum of the LR that only current members and Alumni can go to, perhaps even let the GM's decide which Alumni they want allowed in.

But again, when the Impact was basically the "Montreal Rehn and Schultz'", it's a surprise we both made it through that year, if it weren't for Darian and Ben I probably would have got bored quickly. That's what I think having active people that they'll share a "connection" with would help alleviate.

great idea.
i know i personally wouldnt want to play for any other team except the Whalers and im sure alot of people feel the same way.
ive never been a fan of the PDC's and it makes the NWJHL draft more important for the GMs, rather than banking on some send downs.

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 05:40 PM

Rookie Mentorship team was created to combat the issue of helping rookies ... who well its doing idk.

That's why I said the affiliate should have the co-GM of SHL team being the NWJHL GM .. this would put more pressure on the SHL Head GMs to make sure they are actually hiring a good co-GM instead of someone who "has been here for a while and just wants a title".. Plus if the Head GM won't talk to their co-GM about send downs... then who would they talk to!

Looks like you want a much closer connection between the SHL-teams and their affiliates, while I'd prefer pretty much the opposite and would like the NWJHL-teams to have some more freedom of their own. Just different approaches I guess, I don't really like the Co-GM idea you proposed, while you aren't really a fan of my ideas, looks like we just have to agree to disagree here Smile

By the way, I really think that the :impact: are a bit of a special case here and that you shouldn't project your experiences with them on the rest of the league. They have been very lucky with having two great affiliates for a long time which brought them a lot of consistency and some great send-downs pretty much every year over the past few seasons. But the situation is just different for most of the other teams in the league, they have to change affiliates more often, most of them had years where they basically got no send-downs at all and/or where the LRs were barely active which lead to the 1-2 active people leaving as well. You were very priviliged in your time in Montreal and I'd argue that most other teams aren't in a comfortable situation like them.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Quote:Originally posted by DaveSmith@Apr 10 2013, 11:40 AM

Rookie Mentorship team was created to combat the issue of helping rookies ... how well its doing idk.

It's not doing :lol: Keenan was the only one doing it, but now that I'm no longer a GM I'll begin the mentoring.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

i personally never understood the pride people have in the nwjhl team they played. i played on boston and now they're chicago, but it's not like i care. i created lethbridge who moved to chicago and then to washington before folding, not like i cared. am i the only one who doesn't feel any pride about what team they started off on?

Quote:Originally posted by Rusty@Apr 10 2013, 02:30 PM
i personally never understood the pride people have in the nwjhl team they played. i played on boston and now they're chicago, but it's not like i care. i created lethbridge who moved to chicago and then to washington before folding, not like i cared. am i the only one who doesn't feel any pride about what team they started off on?
I have a lot of pride in the Outlaws as they were a great team and where I got my start but other than that I don't really care. Business is business and while I'd root for the Outlaws over any other team (GMed the Blazers, played for the Whalers) I'm not attached to them that much. Especially considering the teams seem to have a revolving door at GM

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Rusty@Apr 10 2013, 08:30 PM

I think it just varies very much from person to person, some seem to take a lot of pride from the fact that they are an '___ alumni' others like you don't really care about their former team at all. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle, but a lot of it probably depends on what team you played for anyway, one that still exists today or one that seems to relocate every few seasons.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Quote:Originally posted by OcAirlines@Apr 10 2013, 03:36 PM

I think it just varies very much from person to person, some seem to take a lot of pride from the fact that they are an '___ alumni' others like you don't really care about their former team at all. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle, but a lot of it probably depends on what team you played for anyway, one that still exists today or one that seems to relocate every few seasons.

probably true. and if the team was very active and you started to like your teammates a lot, that could be a factor as well.

Quote:Originally posted by Rusty@Apr 10 2013, 08:38 PM

probably true. and if the team was very active and you started to like your teammates a lot, that could be a factor as well.

Yeah definitely, how active the team was in the particular season you were there certainly plays a huge role. Which is probably the reason why there are no proud Patriots-alumni around here :D.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

Quote:Originally posted by Rusty@Apr 10 2013, 01:30 PM

Wrap it up guys, Spangs doesn't feel pride about his NWJHL team, so nobody else can.

Quote:Originally posted by Carlzner@Apr 10 2013, 04:17 PM

Wrap it up guys, Spangs doesn't feel pride about his NWJHL team, so nobody else can.

i was asking a question. while i'm not a fan of the idea because i simply prefer pdc's, my opinion is not the final say (comes down to majority in commish office and in rulebook manager HQ). in addition, nowhere in my post did i give my opinion on this idea, simply asked if i was the only one who feels nothing special toward the nwjhl team they played for.