Create Account

Scarecrows Select Potoczny First Overall

<div align="center">[Image: 117293951_crop_650x440_zps6599497a.jpg]
Potoczny answers questions after being 1st overall in the S13 NWJHL Draft

Monday night was a night to remember for many prospects that entered the NWJHL draft. For Marian Potoczny it was the greatest moment of his life. “I cannot explain the emotions that went through me when I heard my name called first. It is quite the surreal moment in my life, definitely the greatest,” Potoczny said. The 6’4” center from Stara Lubovna, Slovakia has traveled quite the distance to land in St. Louis, Missouri home of the Scarecrows, the team that selected Potoczny. His timeline spans over three different countries in three different seasons. Last season Potoczny played for Saint John of the QMJHL and before that played in his home country.

Potoczny really broke out in the Prospect Showcase tournament held by the NWJHL as he scored two goals and notched 16 assists in just 12 games for the Lions. His team played in the championship game but lost to the Outlaws in an epic overtime loss. From there it was just a waiting game till the NWJHL draft, that waiting game ended Monday night. “I was talking to a lot of GMs this week and it got me very excited for the draft to come. Today was pretty hectic as I met with GM Dumoulin and GM Haan for the last time and I got a great vibe from the meeting but I couldn’t be too sure. Some of my friends texted me about the rumors but I didn’t want to get too excited until the time came,” Potoczny said.

The Scarecrows who earlier today announced their movement of the Chicago Hitmen franchise to St. Louis earlier today was quick to sign the first overall pick. Terms are declared as a one year contract (as per NWJHL rules) and it will pay Marian up to three million dollars for the season. “I almost messed up my signature on the contract papers because I was so nervous. Just to see my name on the paper with the Scarecrows logo was very surreal. I can’t wait to put on that jersey!” Marian added.

The Scarecrows also drafted Slovak defenseman Ondrej Ravchitikov at the 12th pick overall. Ravchitikov is from Bratislava, Slovakia which is located on the western side of Slovakia a good distance from Potoczny’s stomping grounds, but Ravchitikov and Marian are quite familiar with each other as both played on the international level for Slovakia for the past three seasons. “Yeah I was really happy to see Ravy go to our team, it’ll be great to have another Slovak in the locker room and we work really well together and he’ll be an amazing addition to the team,” Potoczny said.

St. Louis rounded out the draft with the selections of Robert Paulson, a defensive defenseman from Delaware in the fifth round and grabbed Joseph Graf, a left winger from Sweden with the final pick of the draft. Graf played on the same prospects showcase team as Potoczny and added two big goals in the final game. “Graf is a good player, he’ll be a nice offensive hit from our bottom six, good character and a great attitude,” Potoczny added.

Potoczny won’t waste any time as he’s already on his way to St. Louis to settle in for training camp which will start in the next couple days. “As soon as I was drafted and I got some free time after the interviews, I booked my flight with the GMs to fly out tonight and tomorrow will be a big day of settling into the town. It’s going to be a busy couple days but I love it, I can’t wait for the season to start,” Potoczny added with a smile.

</div>
Code:
615 words

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

Good luck same thing I said to Winnfield I'm gunna skate through u Tongue

West Kendall

It's okay guys, don't fight too much. You'll both be part of the Wolfpack soon enough Wink

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Congrats, Niko. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Ace@Apr 16 2013, 08:35 AM
It's okay guys, don't fight too much. You'll both be part of the Wolfpack soon enough Wink

*Dragons

Dragons Dragons Dragons

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

Congrats on going first, well deserved!