Create Account

Whaler Watch Magazine: Issue #1 Draft, Captain and Pre-Season

WHALER WATCH: ISSUE #1

[Image: creative-hidden-logo%20(45).gif]

Welcome to the new bi-weekly magazine Whaler Watch, where we take a look at different news, recaps and events happening with the S13 Vancouver Whaler team. This issue we’ll take look at the new and improved Whaler squad, the newly announced captains and alternates, and a pre-season recap.

Draft Breakdown

Last year’s Whaler team was considered a failure for the players, staff and fans. But, the draft is a sign of new hope, and for the Vancouver Whalers they made sure to pick up some players that can impact the team in many different ways. The main thing for Whalers was to pick up at some top 6 forwards and to get a starting goalie. Vancouver did not disappoint.

Markus Lokt:
[Image: 8476482.jpg]
Center| Denmark| Power Forward
-Everything you want in a leader
-Great defensively, will be great on the penalty kill
-A great mix of speed and strength
-Best all-around game out of anyone on the team

-Won’t eat up a ton of minutes

Mike Hawk:
[Image: 8471887.jpg]
Right Wing| Sweden| Power Forward
-Elite shot, that anyone would envy
-Powerful skater with terrific first stride
-Hard hitter with decent strength

-Offensive fundamentals need work

Michael Barrett:
[Image: 8471804.jpg]
Left Wing| England| Playmaker
-Is going be one of the best skaters in the NWJHL
-Silky smooth hands
-Great balance of shooting and passing
-Sensational offensive awareness

-Get knocked over way to easily

Shawn Kelly:
[Image: 8471724.jpg]
Left Wing-Center| USA| Playmaker

-Wonderful offensive awareness
-Solid all-around game
-Very agile when he skates
-Can score from anywhere on the ice

-Not the best at delivering hits

Jordin FourFour:
[Image: 8471734.jpg]
Goalie| USA| Hybrid

-At 6’8, he has great size in his net
-Off the charts reflexes
-Moves around quickly in his net
-Rebound control is sub-par

-Has to work on his glove and blocker

On a side note, Vancouver also picked up Canadians Michael Nicalex and sharp-shooter Jason Smith. Two guys that will add depth scoring to the team.

<span style='color:green'>Lokt Named Captain

This Sunday, the Vancouver Whalers announced that Danish sensation Markus Lokt will where the C for them this upcoming season. This comes as no surprise, as Lokt is almost the full package when it comes to being a leader. Right off the bat, Lokt has already been a mentor to his peers. Michael Barrett had this to say about the 23 year old power forward:

“He defiantly deserves this… he’s such a great leader on and off the ice. It’s only been a few days but, he has still been a great teacher for me. You still have to remember that he is 6 years older than me and he that he is also older than a lot of SHLers, so ya… he defiantly deserves the it.”

[Image: naslund_leaves_getty_400.jpg]

Barrett along with Mike Hawk were named the alternates, Barrett than said:

“I am honoured, I’m glad my GM’s have faith in me to be a great leader. I know that Mike (Hawk) is real excited too, I think I can speak on his behalf of him by saying that both of us will try are best to be leaders.”

All and all, there were not many surprises when it came to picking these guys but, when I talked to Barrett he seems quite shocked. Lokt and Hawk have yet to address the media, but as I hear, they are both really excited.

[Image: STORY-13-ITEM-26.jpg]

Pre-Season Recap

Now realistically, the pre-season isn’t that exciting for the players or for that matter the fans. But, it is a chance to see the team together for the first time. The Vancouver Whalers had a great pre-season though, as they finished an impressive 6-2-2. That was good enough to be tied for first. Curtis Larade and Shawn Kelly were playing great hockey getting 15 and 12 points respectively. Although, guys like Lokt and Barrett did have very disappointing pre-seasons. Here’s a look at some stats

Name GP G A P +/-
Curtis Larade (VAN) 10 2 13 15 1
Shawn Kelly (VAN) 10 7 5 12 4
Michael Nicalex (VAN) 10 4 7 11 6
Allan Stewart (VAN) 10 2 9 11 6
Roland Wolf (VAN) 10 1 9 10 4
Sid Patterson (VAN) 10 4 5 9 4
Teemu Kimiciek (VAN) 10 2 7 9 -4
Jason Smith (VAN) 10 4 3 7 -4
Mike Hawk (VAN) 10 4 3 7 5
Brendan Galchenyuk (VAN) 10 4 3 7 7
Michael Barrett (VAN) 10 3 3 6 3
Phil Phaneuf (VAN) 10 0 6 6 2
Markus Lokt (VAN) 10 3 1 4 -5
Cole Hogan (VAN) 10 1 1 2 -4

Goaltending wise Jordin FourFour played pretty good posting a .897 save percentage and a 2.84 goals against average. Not a bad showing for the youngster, as him and the whole Whalers squad had a pretty impressive pre-season.

[Image: Cory-Schneider-5162-19771.jpg]

Thanks for tuning in for the first issue of Whaler Watch. Make sure to stay tuned next time where we look at the first week of play in the highly anticipated regular season.

[Image: creative-hidden-logo%20(45).gif]
</span>

l9ol. Stewart has the best build ever.

You may thank me.

[Image: MaU5eKD.png]
[Image: kECK2tc.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Taron47@Apr 22 2013, 06:13 PM
l9ol. Stewart has the best build ever.

You may thank me.

I signed Stewart so you may thank me.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Friggen rights im good :D

Akashi SixNine Jr. Updates

Great read, nice concept, nice set-up.

Great draft for the Whalers by Hallsy and Kylrad. They didn't have much assets but still built a very nice team. Hope you can win it all this time

well done!

Nicely done. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by Th3 Undeniable@Apr 22 2013, 08:24 PM
Friggen rights im good :D

Yeahthat

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

GO WHALERS!!!!!

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23