Create Account

Prospect Interview #5 - Anthony Mantha Anthony's Mantra is success

<div align="center">Introduction:

We're staying in Canada for another interview, as we're moving into French Canada and speaking to Right Wing scoring maestro Anthony Mantha who is gearing up to move into SMJHL and show his skills to everyone.

For Mantha there are three certain things in his life, Death, Taxes, and Hockey. Growing up around the sport and living and breathing hockey from a young age, it's only natural that he became talented and started to turn heads sharply towards his spoils on the ice.

But despite his clear talent on the offensive side of the game, and his mentality to dominate the scoring game, he is surprisingly talented going back and preventing goals and keeping his goalies and defenders very happy.

Now with the draft coming up, he'll be looking to put his place high on every mock draft.

[Image: yO2MFxw.png]
-Practically bred to play the game, Mantha lives and breathes hockey.-

Question 1:
Interview First off, everyone would love to learn a little bit about yourself. Who are you, where are you from, what made you start playing the great sport of icehockey?

<span style='color:blue'>AM:"I'm Anthony Mantha, from Longueuil, Quebec, Canada. Growing up, I was exposed to hockey, like many young Canadian boys. I started skating at three years old after I got a pair for my birthday."

"When I watched hockey games on TV, and sometimes experienced them live, I wanted to be one of the players on the screen or right in front of me. Playing a sport this fun for money? It sounded awesome to me."

Question 2:
Interview You are a Winger, have you played any other positions in your life or is this the position you've been born to play?

AM:"At first I played defence. Being taller than most players meant that I had a physical advantage over them, and I could get kids off the puck somewhat easily. However, my coaches all told me not to waste my offensive talents, so I switched to the wing, which I believe I was born to play."

Question 3:
Interview Before we talk about the draft, lets talk some more about your playing style. What sets you apart from all those other players? What will make you the star the SMJHL (and SHL) teams need.

AM:"I play as a power-forward. Naturally, I am big (6 feet 5 inches and 214 pounds), and I feel as if I use that size for many aspects of my game, including my reach and knocking people off the puck. I believe that with some work, to fix aspects of my game that are not good enough, I can eventually become a high scorer in the SHL."

"I also think that I play well in my offensive aspects. I was a point-per-game scorer in my last two seasons in Quebec leagues, and I hope to translate some of that success into the SMJHL and later SHL."

[Image: cBVYBW3.png]
-People know that he's a bad man offensively, but he'll ruin opposing wingers if they think they have an easy time.-

Question 4:
Interview Are you also self critical enough to see weaknesses, or is that a case of people simply having to take what they can get with you?

AM:"There are a few aspects of my game that I have to fix, and I realize that for a player to make it "up there", s/he needs to become a two-way player and backcheck. I'll hopefully learn a lot in whatever leagues I play in, and I'm sure that with some help, I can become a top-six forward in the SHL."

Question 5:
Interview Of course, you have made yourself eligible for the SMJHL draft. If you were to be honest (or not), where do you see yourself going in the draft?

AM:"Around the middle of the 2nd-round, although I hope to increase my stock."

Question 6:
Interview It might also be so that you've been looking around the league for a while now, do you have a gauge of what team is looking for a player like you? Or are you just completely cool with rolling with whoever is taking you.

AM:"I am aware that there are six junior teams and any of them could take me, but whichever one does is completely fine with me. I'll work with the players there to develop my skills and hopefully be able to help that team out."

Question 7:
Interview Many players also want to have starting time, but then again some people think team performance is more important if that means glory at the end. What end of the spectrum do you fall, do you want to play whatever it takes, or are you part of the team-spirit and just want to show everyone that you're the star and nobody else.

AM:"I will do anything for the team, but obviously I want to get ice time so that I can help that team reach the highest points of the sport. Either way is fine with me."

[Image: zqXgyMH.png]
-He is living his boyhood dream, and will work hard to become a name that lives on in the history books.-

Question 8:
Interview To return on the earlier question, if it meant playing more or perhaps being on a team that you personally want to be, would you take an earlier draft spot for that chance, or are you of the belief that if they want you, they should use their first pick on you or be afraid of losing you?

AM:"I don't mind which team I land on, as long as that team believes in me and wants to give me a chance. I don't mind if I get drafted in the first round or the tenth."

Question 9:
Interview If you had to pick one of the following options, what do you want to be known for when your career is all said and done? (There is no wrong answer)
1: The Greatest of All Time (Gretzky ain't got nothing on me)
2: The richest fucker this side of the world (Success is fun, but money is a whole lot more fun)
3: A city-wide legend for all eternity (I don't like moving around, I rather become part of the furniture)
4: A star on the walk of fame (This hockey thing is just a side-gig for me until I get my hollywood career up and running)
5: A honey in every hockeycity (On the ice is exciting, but off the ice is a while different ''ball''game)

AM:"That's not even a question really. Every kid grows up to be the best, and I want to be the best."

Question 10:
Interview Finally, do you have something to say about your fellow prospects, or perhaps even a current SHL/SMJHL star?

AM:"Watch out."

</div></span>

Words: 1223
75% goes to NovaRC

Seems like Mantha and Jandl have very similar attitudes towards the game. This is gonna be a really good draft class. Although I wasn't around for any others so I don't have any point of comparison.