Create Account

Connor O'Reilly Radio Interview Transcript Talks Force, Wolfpack and other things.

Connor O’Reilly was recently on the TSN Radio 420 Regina drive home show with Harold Richard Commings. Here’s a transcript of the interview.

Harold Richard Commings: Welcome back ladies and gentleman to TSN Radio 420 Regina. As I promised before our long commercial break, we have an exciting guest in for today. This 6’5” right-handed defenseman from Kilkenny, Ireland, just finished his sophomore season playing for the Regina Force. Please welcome, Connor O’Reilly.

Connor O’Reilly: Thanks for having me Harold, but I’m going to have to correct you, I didn’t just finish my sophomore season, it’s finished a few weeks ago.

HRC: Can be heard quietly, like he’s speaking away from the mic Listen kid, don’t come on my show trying to correct me, I know what I’m talking about. It’s just flavour text anyways and no one cares about that.

CoR: I just wanted to make sure your facts are correct, and you never know some people might like flavour text.

HRC: Let’s just drop it. So this season the Force lost in the SMJHL playoffs in game 5, for the second time since you’ve been on the team. How does it feel?

CoR: It feels how you think it would feel. You work the whole season to do well and get a good spot in the playoffs, to only lose in five. It’s even worse that this happened last year too.

HRC: Do you put the loss on yourself or the team?

CoR: I don’t put the loss on anybody or myself. We knew going into the series the Whalers were the better team but we tried to win and we came up empty. It’s tough but that’s the reality of sports, theirs always one side winning and one side losing and we came out on the losing end of things. Hopefully the team can do better next year.

HRC: But will you be back with the Force next season, as your SHL rights are currently owned by the Wolfpack and they could call you up?

CoR: I really have no idea if I’ll be in the SMJHL next season or not, it’s all up to New England. Of course I would love to crack their lineup and join the SHL next season, but I would also love to stay in Regina for one more season and hopefully reach that 6th game in the playoffs.

HRC: Speaking of the Wolfpack, they are currently up 1 game in the SHL finals, heading into game 6, thoughts about that?

CoR: Yeah, I’ve been watching the games and I’m happy for them. When I was in Boston after the draft to check out the city and the arena, I meet some of the players and they seemed like nice people. Hopefully they can win that game 6 and win the cup. Hopefully this success also carries over when I join the team.

HRC: Now we have talked about your season with the Force and the Wolfpack. Now let’s talk about your personality, since you seem to not do a lot of interviews. Is that ok?

CoR: Yeah, but did I really have a choice?

HRC: No. So what is Connor O’Reilly’s favourite movie? Why?

CoR: Hmm, that’s a tough one. I guess it would have to be The Avengers. I was a Marvel fan when I was a kid, so being able to see The Avengers on the big screen was great, although a different group then I remember. It’s also not a bad action movie, and I like action movie.

HRC: Yeah not a bad movie, how about TV show? Why?

CoR: Game of Thrones, what’s not to love about it? Also it’s filmed in Ireland, another reason to love it. But yeah, Game of Thrones is a good action drama show that has everything you want in it. Also lots of boobs.

HRC: That shows a list of ones that I need to watch. How about favourite book? Why?

CoR: I don’t really know, probably Harry Potter, the sixth one. I’ll always remember it as the first book I was able to finish reading within the year it was released. And the last book I was able to finish reading within the year it was released.

HRC: Now enough about your likes, as I’m sure not many people are listening in, to hear about your favourite music genre. Last season and the season before you finished the season in the lead, or tied for the lead, in shots blocked. How does it feel and did it ever occur to you to that you could lead the league that season.

CoR: It hurt a lot, I mean some of those players out there can really shoot, and sometimes I needed to put ice on the spots I was hit in between periods. The first season it didn’t really occur to me, I just wanted to try and do the best for my team and impress the General Managers of the SHL teams. Last season though I started to think about it in the final week or so, slowly seeing my name go up the list. I would try to block more shots, and luckily it didn’t get me into too much trouble on the ice.

HRC: Now let’s talk about the guys on the Force, what are your thoughts on them all?

CoR: They all suck. In case you couldn’t tell that was sarcasm. I like them all. I think Prince with the right goalie coach in the SHL could become a starter in a few years. Brumm is a good defender, who doesn’t always play the way he wants to, but he doesn’t let that stop him every game. Robinson is a good guy, and a good defender, should be a steal by whomever drafts him. Boychuk, him and I both joined the Force in the S23 draft, obviously he’s the better player, and he’s a guy who makes whoever he plays with look better.

HRC: And the others?

CoR: Never really got to know them that well. So I can really base an opinion on them.

HRC: In a few weeks the SMJHL and SHL draft will happen. Who do you see going first in both drafts?

CoR: For SMJHL, Robb Wind easily. I played against him during his short time in the SMJHL and he’s a very good player for his age. He’s got experience which I am sure all General Managers love. Hopefully Regina can pick him up. For SHL, going to have to say Vlad McZehrl, it would be close though as I see Beau Ballard being picked too, however Calgary needs the goal scoring and the old McZehrl was a good goal scorer, so you can expect the same from Vlad, he just might be a lose canon, from what I hear.

HRC: Back to New England, it is a strong United Kingdom presence, there and Boston is a strong Irish town, were you happy when they selected you because of that reason?

CoR: It didn’t really occur to me until after the draft that I am going to a strong Irish area, which I’m happy about. Well I was down there to check the city out and the arena and that, I was able to scout out some Irish restaurants I am sure I want to check out, and some Pubs but have to wait about a year to go into them.

HRC: Final question, what do you plan to do during the summer?

CoR: I plan to go back to Ireland, visit family and friends. Then head right into the gym and rink to work on my skating, and get my size and cardio up, in case I make the Wolfpack next season. I also plan to go to Boston and meet with the head office of the Wolfpack and see where their heads at for next season. Might also go over to England on Scotland for a little vacation, I think I might deserve it.

HRC: Well I think that’s all the time we have today for this interview, thanks for coming in.

CoR: No problem, was glad to be here.

Code:
1360 Words

RIP Mac & 701

I wrote half of this before the game 6 pbp, so that's why theirs a question about game 6 in there.

RIP Mac & 701

the next GOAT :-?

Ilike

Great interview, O'Reilly. We'll definitely show you around Boston when training camp starts up. :D

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]