Create Account

Sig Making Advice from a (Fairly) Rookie Sig Maker Tips, Tricks, Best Practices, and Advice

I’m going to start by saying that I’m not claiming that to be this great or experienced sig maker. As of the writing of this article, I have made a grand total of 39 sigs. I’ve been making sigs for about 3 months, total, and had practically no exposure to photoshop prior to starting to make sigs. However, over that time, I have practiced, read tutorials, practiced, watched tutorials, practiced, sought advice from people who clearly know more than me, practiced, looked at .psds, and practiced. I think I see a huge improvement in my own sig making, and I’d imagine that you would agree. For example, here are 3 of the first sigs that I made:

[Image: 45XJ5Ir.png]
[Image: mKb74bs.jpg]
[Image: usCTW6a.jpg]

And here are three of the most recent sigs that I’ve made:

[Image: PyMy4aD.jpg]
[Image: q1ZiGvf.jpg]
[Image: SYJvjMs.jpg]

As I have worked on improving my sig making, I’ve picked up some tips and tricks that I’d like to share, specifically with people who are newer to sig making. DISCLAIMER: I AM USING PHOTOSHOP.

1: NAME YOUR LAYERS: This is like showing your work in math, or commenting in coding. It’s tedious, it’s boring, and you spend the whole time feeling like you don’t need to do it. DO IT. If you ever download .psds to study, you will get a whole lot more out of them if the person has labelled, or better yet said exactly what the purpose of that layer is. Even if you aren’t planning to share .psds, if you have to leave and come back later, you’re going to have a much easier time figuring out what adjustments you want to make if you can select “Cool starscape” to move around, instead of “Layer 5.” My sigs normally have 15-30 Layers by the time I’m done, “Layer 5” means nothing to me.

2: USE INDIVIDUAL LAYERS: This is also like showing your work in math/science but in a slightly different way. In fact, it’s more like leaving your problem in variable form, instead of substituting in numbers When you’re doing a long math problem, it’s pretty common for you to make a mistake and have to go back and find it later. It’s a lot easier to do this if you leave everything as a variable. If you’re going back through you’re work, it’s easier to see where your mistake is if you don’t have to put every single line of your problem back through your calculator to check it. SO, how does this apply to sig making? If you want to add a pain effect, do it in a different layer. You can then go in and hide it, or edit it, or change what mode it’s on (Overlay, Color Dodge, Normal, etc.) This brings me to the next point which is…

3: DON’T DO ANYTHING PERMANENT: Again, going back to the math metaphor… if you have an equation that has s*r, even though you are multiplying those two quantities, you can still see in your equation that they are “s” and “r.” However, if you multiply 4 and 25 you just get 100. If you ask someone else, or even yourself on a later day, what you two numbers you multiplied to get 100, it could have been 1&100, 2&50, 4&25, 5&20, or 10&10, assuming you’re only using whole numbers. By actually doing the multiplication, the quantities 4 and 25 disappeared and are gone. In sig making, I do avoid doing anything permanent through two methods, method 1:

3a: USE LAYER MASKS: In photoshop, at the bottom of the Layers menu, there is a button that looks like a rectangle with a circle or hole in it. This applies a layer mask. Layer masks are the shit. They have totally changed the way that I do sigs, for the better. A layer mask makes it so that you can control the opacity of every part of the layer. Don’t like what’s going on over your render, but like how the background is affected? Paint over the render in the layer mask in black and that part of the effect is gone. Want part of the effect to be lighter? Paint over it in grey, and only part of the layer will come through. The best part of all of this is that you’re not actually deleting the layer, so if you make a mistake (especially if you don’t notice until a lot later that you did) you don’t have to hit undo a bunch of times, or start that layer over… just paint back over the layer mask in white, and IT’S STILL THERE. The second method I use to avoid making anything permanent is:

3b: USE SMART LAYERS: If you right-click on a layer, there’s an option to turn that layer into a “Smart Layer.” I always do this, except maybe with a layer where I’m only using the paintbrush tool. Why? Filters. When I first started making sigs, I made a couple that I gave away, and just had “Player Name” on the sig. When I went to go back and change the name, I couldn’t get the exact same effects with my filters. Why? Because I hadn’t made it a smart layer. If you set the layers to be smart layers, you can edit the filter effects later, and *gasp* it automatically puts a layer mask between the filter and the filtered image, meaning that you can even remove just part of the filter. Also, if you have to go back in and change something, you can double click on the filter name in the layer menu, and change the settings without having to redo or undo a bunch of work.

4: EXPERIMENT WITH LAYER MODES AND OPACITY: Practicing by looking at what modes do what each time you add a new layer will lead to you eventually developing an intuition for how to add your stock to get the effect that you want.

5: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE: Time put into practice is the #1 difference between being good at something and not. They did a study at a school of music in Germany, and they found that the best players had put in 8-10,000 hours of practice, the next tier had put in 5-8,000, and the rest had less than 5,000. They found no players that fit the “prodigy” label where the player was in a higher tier than their practice hours put in would have placed them.

6: EXPERIMENT: You might not like every single sig you make. There’s a bunch of sigs that I wish I hadn’t done, because I’m embarrassed by them now (like the Wagner one from the top of the post). That being said, I’d never have gotten to where I am now if I hadn’t experimented with stuff back then. I’m still experimenting, and I won’t get to where I’m going with sig-making without continuing to experiment. I experiment with effects, stocks, layer modes, and text. (There could probably be an entire article written about text. Text is super hard, and I still suck at it. I don’t know that I’ll ever feel like I don’t suck at it.)

7: USE HIGH QUALITY RENDERS: The way I get all my renders is to google the player name, and then use search tools to refine to “Large” images. I do almost all of my own cuts, and sometimes don’t even cut the image but just use layer masks to pull the image through.

8: DEVELOP YOUR OWN STYLE: This was one of the best pieces of advice I ever got, and it came from my now teammate, enigmatic. Particularly when you’re starting out, you’ll see really cool effects, great text, and other awesomeness. You’ll wonder how they did it, and even if you try your hardest, you might not be able to replicate that effect in your own sig. That’s okay! Do stuff that you like the look of, ask for critiques and help, but try to keep what makes it “your” sig. Here are several sigs just to show that many of the sig-makers on the site have developed their own, unique style.

Bushito: [Image: 2s6wzt3.png]
Dion: [Image: r2TVgQB.png]
Enigmatic: [Image: 2mmtrwh.png]
Jogurtaa: [Image: DghDdIr.png]
Ragnar: [Image: tBEXSbg.png]
Wasty: [Image: QSNdY4I.jpg]
Elyk: [Image: KIjkcpj.jpg]
701: [Image: kz4f8OS.png]
Brandon: [Image: 2vv5aw3.png]
Maxy: [Image: Gmy74Mx.png]
soulja: [Image: gF5ZYIa.png]
NJBadApple: [Image: UYKLEy9.png]
Tanner: [Image: fKG4x5p.png]
Kit: [Image: 3Zv4lWP.png]
Raymond3000: [Image: dVfy9xy.jpg]

Develop your own style, and before you know it, people will come to know you as a sig maker (and possibly send you sig requests!Wink

Moving on to some advice that has less to do with the mechanics of making a sig, and is more just advice for general improvement:

1: Watch/Read Tutorials/psds: I improved by leaps and bounds just watching and implementing a couple of tricks from different tutorials that I watched.

2: Ask for CNC: Seriously, ask for CNC (Comments and Criticism). Particularly if you’re new to sig making, there are some tips and tricks people can give you on how to fix or improve the exact sig you’re working on, instead of just getting the vague/generic advice that I’m giving right now.

3: Look at all of the weekly submissions. ALL OF THEM: I try to look at every submitted sig on this website. I then go back and look at them once they’ve been graded (if they’re in the weekly submission section). I do this so that I can see what ideas other people have that I might want to try to implement myself. I also read the grader’s comments so that I can see what critiques other people are getting, that way I can improve on something in my own sigs, even if I didn’t do the exact thing someone else did.

I hope that this article is helpful, and if you’ve got any questions or want CNC or whatever, just let me know!

Code:
approx 1600 words

Not even listed I'm the sig makers section </3
But good work this is helpful

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Great write up. Looks like I'll have to brush up on my PS skills.

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Aug 14 2015, 05:37 PM
Not even listed I'm the sig makers section </3
But good work this is helpful

I was looking for that sick Palat one that was pink and blue that you did, but I couldn't find it :(

=D> =D> =D> =D>

It's about time someone made a topic like this, thanks for doing it for me. Been using Photoshop off and on for about 10 years now... I'm going to throw in some advice as well if you don't mind, feel free to add it to your total word count if you please:

TEXT: This is the downfall of most quality signatures, and GFX artists as a whole for that matter. There's no secret to using the right text in a piece that will work each time, because each design should be unique in it's own way. You should browse www.dafont.com everytime you make a new signature to see if something catches your eye and goes with the "flow" of whatever you're creating. Placement is also key; most novice artists will "corner lock" their text every single time because it's the easiest to place it "out of the way" instead of trying to incorporate it into your piece. Once again, try to find a natural line you can place the text on... that's an easy way to start with text.

COLOR: Color isn't a huge problem, because you can normally just roll with whatever color your HIGH QUALITY image is. But if you feel the need to diversify your signature, use the Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Color Balance option. After you fiddle with all the options in there, if you look at your Layers panel, there should be a little white box ON that layer. Select it. then go to Filter -> Render -> Clouds. Do this several times for more unique color combinations. Also, don't be afraid to use Gradient Layer instead of Color Balance... followed by the same thing with Clouds.

C4D's: What the fuck are these? Just Google them, then download a pack of high quality ones. DeviantART is a nice website to find them at. Once you have the basic 'layout' of your signature complete, go ahead and open one of these fools and drag it onto your signature. Yes, they're fucking massive most of the time. Now, chance the layer from Normal to either Lighten or Color Dodge and let the magic begin. It almost looks like lightning is shooting through your signature. Play with it a little bit and find a part of it that flows well with your piece. Erase any bits that cover important parts [face, shoulders, etc.] I normally do this 3-4 times per signature, depending on the desired effect.

Here are some tricks:

- Focus should never be dead center; just like photography. Make your render off to one side a little bit.

- I can't say how important it is to find a high quality render to start with.

- Need some lighting? Make a new layer, use a 20-30 pixel soft brush and make it light blue. Brush on spots that you want as a focal point. Change layer from Normal to Lighten.

- Blurred effect? New layer, Image -> Apply Image [get used to that, you'll be doing it alot.] Filter -> Pixel -> Facet. Then do Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur. Default settings. Change layer from Normal to basically anything else, just play around with it.

- Signature turn out too bright? Filter -> Other -> High Pass. Not only will this darken it, but also add some cool effects as well. Just be careful using it - it has a tendency of changing the direction of light in your piece.

I'm sure there's more I have to say, just can't think of it.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Quote:Originally posted by Pandar@Aug 14 2015, 05:48 PM

I was looking for that sick Palat one that was pink and blue that you did, but I couldn't find it :(
http://originalshl.com/index.php?showtopic=54014

That one?

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

what kind of photoshop do u use :3?

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

Thanks for using my sig as an example man Smile

A couple (other than maxy) that I noticed you missed who are also very very good:

Brandon
Soulja

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

=D>

You should make me one :>

[Image: 35513_s.gif]
Sigs by Kit, Maxy, Mook, LazyEye, Wasty, Ragnar, Bushito, Frank, 701, Pandar

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: 263vaqs.png][Image: 8x07c6.png][Image: 2ut59pt.png][Image: s6rdXyK.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Ragnar#sweg( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)@Aug 14 2015, 06:01 PM

A couple (other than maxy) that I noticed you missed who are also very very good:

Brandon
Soulja

[Image: 11181814_1389040081423788_16216735786377...19a0045cd7]

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

Quote:Originally posted by NJBadApple@Aug 14 2015, 05:05 PM

[Image: 11181814_1389040081423788_16216735786377...19a0045cd7]

And this guy too :ph34r:

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Aug 14 2015, 05:53 PM

http://originalshl.com/index.php?showtopic=54014

That one?

That was it! Added!

Quote:Originally posted by Ragnar#sweg( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)@Aug 14 2015, 06:01 PM

Brandon
Soulja

No prob!

I do know Brandon and Soulja do outstanding work, I've watched Brandon's recent video where he made you a sig ~10 times, and looked at most of the psds that he's posted.

I also bugged soulja via PM for like a week for advice on one of my sigs... I'm not sure that he's ever forgiven me for that Tongue

I left them out because I was late for dinner, and couldn't quickly find recent work. They've been added to the post!

Quote:Originally posted by Tylar@Aug 14 2015, 06:01 PM
what kind of photoshop do u use :3?

I've got Photoshop CC 2014, but that's because I've got it on my work computer. I don't know what I'd do if my job ever stopped renewing our Adobe license :(

Quote:Originally posted by Lunaro@Aug 14 2015, 06:03 PM
=D>

You should make me one :>

Sure! Just give me:

Player Name:
Desired Render's Name:
Are there Colors you want emphasized in the sig?:
Any other requests: