Create Account

Griffin Simons Early Career Overview I Got Bored and Stopped

<div align="center">Griffin Simons’ SHL Career Overview</div>

I haven’t written a piece of media in at least 3 seasons, so I thought I’d give it another shot! Today, we’ll be looking at the career of Griffin Simons, the 36th overall pick of the S20 SHL Entry Draft, and now the co-GM of the Hamilton Steelhawks. Originally, Simons was predicted to go higher in the draft, but the Steelhawks, then headed by GMs James Blaine and Magnus Jakobsen, nabbed him in the 3rd round. Overall, Simons has had a very solid career so far. Over 6 seasons in the big leagues, his trophy case includes: a Ryan Jesster Trophy, two Anton Razov Trophies, and two Challenge Cups. For a player that still has 2 seasons until he hits regression, those are pretty damn good stats. Let’s look at the individual seasons now:

Season 21: The Rookie Campaign
Code:
52 GP | 12 G | 35 A | 47 P | 2 PIM | +/-: &nbsp;-1 | FO %: 49.22% &nbsp;
In Simons’ rookie year, he put up some pretty respectable stats. In Juniors, Simons put up a total of 55 points in 59 games, so I guess you could see those stats as sort of a pre-cursor to what was to come. Being the playmaker that Simons is, he set up a total of 35 goals, most of those goals coming from the sticks of Magnus Jakobsen, Bryson Thomaz, or Arthur Grosberg. At that time, Simons was stuck in the depth chart behind veterans, like Jakobsen and Joe McKeil. Despite playing in the shadows of those further developed players, Simons made a name for himself in the SHL in his rookie year. As the season wound down, Simons and Adrian Thomaz were the two main contenders for the Ryan Jesster trophy, awarded to the league’s top rookie. Simons ended up on top, and beat out Thomaz to win his first award in the SHL.

Code:
18 GP | 2 G | 9 A | 11 P | 0 PIM | +/-: -3 | FO %: 48.65%
In the playoffs, Simons was definitely less noticeable, but was still a factor in the Steelhawks reaching the Challenge Cup Finals. Had Simons been more effective on the dot, it could have changed the course of the finals. In the end, though, the Steelhawks were beat in the Finals by the superior Texas Renegades. That series capped of a fantastic rookie for Griffin Simons.

Season 22: The Sophomore Slump
Code:
52 GP | 11 G | 30 A | 41 P | 22 PIM | +/-: -6 | FO %: 49.41%
Simons did not live up to expectations in S22. Although he didn’t have an absolutely terrible season, Simons was quite disappointed in his lack of effectiveness on the ice this season. This was the first season that Simons lead the Steelhawks in points, and that was an upside. This was also the first season that Simons was on the top forward unit for the Steelhawks, and he ate up a lot of ice time for a sophomore. Perhaps the added ice time he played in S22 compared to S21 could be a factor in the decreased scoring. Simons played a relatively high 26.77 minutes per game, which was the most that anyone on the Steelhawks played. This is also the only season that Simons has ever missed the playoffs, with the Steelhawks finishing in 5th place in the Eastern Conference, just 8 points out of playoff spot.

Season 23: The Settling Season
Code:
52 GP | 13 G | 29 A | 42 P | 0 PIM | +/-: +13 | FO %: 52.78%
This was the season that Simons really settled into his role with the Steelhawks. With Magnus Jakobsen back in the lineup, after serving his one season suspension for tampering, Simons was able to find some chemistry with someone. Though not returning to his rookie season form, Simons was able to produce slightly better than his sophomore season. Also added to the team this season was veteran forward Riko Muerto, who topped off a solid Jakobsen-McKeil-Muerto top line. Because of this stacked first line Simons was demoted to the second line, where he would play with Italian Brandon Donini and German Rider Clitsome. This was a decently effective line for the Steelhawks, with Simons and Clitsome netting 42 and 39 points, respectively. Donini had a hand in 29 goals for the Steelhawks that season, but made up for the lack up points with a very physical presence. Simons began to get into the groove of the Steelhawks, really starting to fit in with his team this season. But soon enough, he would find his own in the world of professional hockey.

Code:
Sorry, I got bored after the first 3 seasons!

790 Words

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

Simons is a great player and a great teammate!

Remember S24!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Feb 7 2016, 04:46 PM

Remember S24!
Thanks buddy!

I got to the end of S23 regular season and then got tired of writing Tongue

You're pretty good Rolleyes

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Only one season below 40 points. Bowdown

[Image: ZIFmexT.png]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Feb 7 2016, 04:46 PM

Remember S24!
Yeahthat

What a productive scrub. :o
Great (start of) career, bud. Smile

thats looking like a HoF career by the end of it

[Image: livius.gif]

What a career! It's been fun looking up your old stats out of curiosity this season - since we've been going back and forth in the league lead for points. I dunno who else does that, it interests me :lol:. At any rate, you've played with many great names and you've made plays since your first shift in the SHL.

You pulled out ahead today, so congrats on that ... for now Wink

[Image: OaSEcaw]

HOF Bowdown

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Schultzy@Feb 9 2016, 01:35 PM
HOF Bowdown

Yeahthat

Great player, teammate and person to have in the LR. Congrats on a great career thus far! Cheers

Thanks guys :-x

Cheers Great player and leader