Create Account

Michael McHale 1st SMJHL Press Conference Signed by STL as Free Agent

Michael McHale is one of the two major free agent signings announced by the St. Louis Scarecrows today. The 18 year old forward from Albany, NY won over the hearts and support from all of upstate New York with the uplifting story of how he relentlessly pursued his hockey dreams despite spending most of his childhood in Foster Care. Now as a professional, he strives to generate more awareness for adoption and children in foster families, a life very familiar to him.

Michael McHale will now take your questions, and will answer anything he's asked.

Q: How do you feel about leaving New York?

It's gonna be tough, it's gonna be something completely new for me. Thankfully I have a ton of support back home, both from my adoptive family and my birth parents, and I know that they'll still do everything they can to support me along the way.

Q: What are your expectations for the coming season?

I don't think I have any expectations at the moment. This league is so vastly different from anything I've ever been a part of before, I have no idea how it'll go or what to expect once I get out there on the ice. These are the best young players from all over the world, and the talent and skill in this league is a whole galaxy ahead of what I've faced before. This is gonna be a challenge for sure.

Q: What will it take for you to consider yourself a 'success' on the season, in terms of individual play?

If I can grow as a player and a person, I'll consider it a success. Putting all stats and performance aside, all I'm hoping is to evolve and grow. Anything beyond that is just a bonus.

Are you excited to play for the Scarecrows?

Absolutely. Playing professional hockey has been a dream since I was still a toddler, but with me growing up in a foster care environment, for a long time it just seemed like a daydream or a fantasy. It still hasn't really sunk in yet that I'm actually here.

What kind of player are you?

I tend to focus most of my game on the offensive aspect. I think skating would be my biggest strength and I'm pretty good at protecting the puck. But of course I can't just focus on trying to stay one kind of player, I need to be able to adapt and play a full three-dimensional game.

How did you choose St. Louis over all the other teams?

I think my decision ultimately came down to whichever would make it easier for my family to travel and visit. Out of all the teams that made offers, St. Louis seemed like the place that would give them the least amount of hassle to visit. That's how I made my final decision.

How high do you think you can get your draft stock this season?

Honestly that all depends on how this season goes as a whole. I've got great teammates and great leaders here to mentor me, and they'll play just as big a part in how I perform this season as I do on my own. There's nothing I can do entirely on my own, there's a reason why it's a team sport. We all have to work together to help each other be as good as they can.

Do you feel any pressure jumping into such a big role at the beginning of your career?

There's definitely some pressure with such a young player like myself being trusted with such an important role. But at the same time I feel like there aren't any significant expectations right now. I'm excited for the challenge ahead and hopefully I can make the most of this opportunity.

You recorded 4 points in 5 games in your pre-season debut who do you feel about your performance?

I think I impressed myself more than I impressed the coaches and GMs. To be honest, I didn't have any idea beforehand how I'd perform, but I'd say I'm satisfied with how I did.

Do you think you have a chance to take home the St. Louis Scarecrows team award for best rookie season?

Yeah, I have a chance, but so does every rookie on the team. That's the thing about this sport, you never know who's gonna emerge as the next big star. I don't think I have any more or less of a chance to win than any other rookie at the moment.

Which SHL Team Would you like to be drafted by?

Having been born and raised in upstate New York, getting drafted by Buffalo would be a dream come true. But since I don't have any control over where I end up, it ultimately doesn't matter which team drafts me. Just getting picked by any team would be a dream come true.

Will you be candidate for rookie of the year?

There's no way to tell how the season's gonna go right now. There's a lot of great rookies in the league and any of them could end up winning it.

Who was your favorite hockey player growing up (NHL or SHL)?

Alexander Ovechkin has always been the biggest role model for me. I've never seen anyone as electrifying or as passionate as him in either the NHL or SHL.

How do you feel about leaving New York?

What are your expectations for the coming season?

What will it take for you to consider yourself a 'success' on the season, in terms of individual play?

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

No one else has any questions?

Are you excited to play for the Scarecrows?

What kind of player are you?

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

Updated original post with responses.

How did you choose St. Louis over all the other teams?
How high do you think you can get your draft stock this season?

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Updated

Which SHL Team Would you like to be drafted by?

Will you be candidate for rookie of the year?

Who was your favorite hockey player growing up (NHL or SHL)?

[Image: HansSHL.gif]

Interview Do you feel any pressure jumping into such a big role at the beginning of your career?
Interview You recorded 4 points in 5 games in your pre-season debut who do you feel about your performance?
Interview Do you think you have a chance to take home the St. Louis Scarecrows team award for best rookie season?

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

Updated