Create Account

Can we talk about SMJHL/SHL Send Downs

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Mar 21 2016, 05:02 PM

In S19 As GM of Kelowna I had 1 active send down and an inactive goalie

That season we had a 12 round draft because of an insane recruitment drive.

At least 4 of those players are now GMs or co-GMs in the league.

Sometimes things work out.

Also Deener and lil, sorry if I implied that this particular discussion was a nuisance or that your comments were annoying. I meant more in a general sense.
Didn't take it personally at all :-x Just showing the other perspective, from those of us who aren't all-powerful and all-knowing Wink

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Mar 21 2016, 06:08 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to talk about in the other thread. We introduce a middle man for no reason. How many of these free agents are there each season? If it's ~10 we could have a waiver system so that the lower seeded teams get a boost and it might possibly help create parity.

I also don't think that having an inactive higher in the lineup is bad in the sense that playing with a player who has higher TPE should inflate your numbers. My best numbers in my rookie season came when I was playing with an inactive D with higher TPE than I had and I liked seeing those results.
I don't see why junior teams need to have said inactives in the first place. If they aren't being sent down from the team that drafted for them or traded for them, why do SMJHL teams have any real claim to the player? If said team that drafted/traded for the inactive doesn't re-sign them and send them down, what is the real harm in letting said inactive ineligible to be sent-down?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Mar 21 2016, 04:08 PM
This is exactly what I was trying to talk about in the other thread. We introduce a middle man for no reason. How many of these free agents are there each season? If it's ~10 we could have a waiver system so that the lower seeded teams get a boost and it might possibly help create parity.

I also don't think that having an inactive higher in the lineup is bad in the sense that playing with a player who has higher TPE should inflate your numbers. My best numbers in my rookie season came when I was playing with an inactive D with higher TPE than I had and I liked seeing those results.

A couple of seasons ago it was suggested in the GM forum to allow >200 TPE IFAs to be signed by SMJHL GMs. It was rejected. Possibly this can be reviewed with the new update scale, but for this season things remain the same.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Mar 21 2016, 05:12 PM

I don't see why junior teams need to have said inactives in the first place. If they aren't being sent down from the team that drafted for them or traded for them, why do SMJHL teams have any real claim to the player? If said team that drafted/traded for the inactive doesn't  re-sign them and send them down, what is the real harm in letting said inactive ineligible to be sent-down?

Just a they're there so why not use them thing I guess. I don't see any harm in not allowing at all either.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Snoodacris+Mar 21 2016, 08:00 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snoodacris @ Mar 21 2016, 08:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Yeah, I have two SMJHL GM's in my LR and also a few friends on the site asking for favors. I just feel bad having to let them down thinking they can't really do the stuff without my help.

I didnt know they had other options though... Asswipes&nbsp; :ph34r:[/b]
That is what it is starting to feel like

SMJHL Competitiveness = SMJHL quick on the draw + SHL GMs with cap space

And yes, their are other options but they are less then desirable if you wish to win. Though...

<!--QuoteBegin-KezKincaid@Mar 21 2016, 08:02 PM

In S19 As GM of Kelowna I had 1 active send down and an inactive goalie

That season we had a 12 round draft because of an insane recruitment drive.

At least 4 of those players are now GMs or co-GMs in the league.

Sometimes things work out.

Also Deener and lil, sorry if I implied that this particular discussion was a nuisance or that your comments were annoying. I meant more in a general sense.
[/quote]

Sometimes they work out, but no offense, using one of the best drafts we've ever had as an example is probably not a good way to reinforce your point.
This season I have three senddowns, three players between 155 and 200, and five draftees, three active, one semi, one not at all.

I got a handful of options right now for players

1) Make a trade
2) Get senddowns and few PGF players in Free Agency worth sending down
3) Trade for rights and have them sent down, which the GM would have already if they could.
4) Inactives

Option 1, unlikely. Option 2, impossible, Option 3, non existent, Option 4, not preferable.

Only way to continue to build is by draft and as you and others have said, weak drafts lately. If I were to lose Jones, Monkey, or McFadden next season, that's a step backwards again.

[Image: CamNosreh.png]

Mac, this is what the SMJHL was like when you applied for the job. This is what the SMJHL will be next season. And next season. And the one after that.

Every one of your players that gets called up to the SHL is a win.

And my point about the S19 draft was just don't get too worked up about what may or may not happen.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Quote:Originally posted by KezKincaid@Mar 21 2016, 08:43 PM
Mac, this is what the SMJHL was like when you applied for the job. This is what the SMJHL will be next season. And next season. And the one after that.

Every one of your players that gets called up to the SHL is a win.

And my point about the S19 draft was just don't get too worked up about what may or may not happen.

Sorry if I am coming across as complaining, yep, players becoming SHL mainstays is the goal and I am nothing but happy for all them...especially the ones on other teams :ph34r:

All I am saying and I am sure you'll agree, is that the instability gets frustrating at times.

Quote:Originally posted by Mac@Mar 21 2016, 06:46 PM
All I am saying and I am sure you'll agree, is that the instability gets frustrating at times.

tbh I don't really agree :ph34r:

It is what it is, a player gets called up out of the blue (like after you traded a first and a second to get him and another player), you're kind of just stuck with it. Perils of the job.

same thing happens with players retiring out of the blue in the SHL - just ask Tanner.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

The instability is part of the fun of being a GM in the SMJHL.

Drafting a player who is active provides almost immediate rewards, both in the LR and on the team. Then you get to see them get drafted (hopefully higher than when you drafted them) and they either flee the nest or come back even better than ever.

Then you get to do it all over again the next year. Loved being an SMJHL GM.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216+Mar 21 2016, 08:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1' id='QUOTE-WRAP'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eggy216 @ Mar 21 2016, 08:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->

tbh I don't really agree :ph34r:

It is what it is, a player gets called up out of the blue (like after you traded a first and a second to get him and another player), you're kind of just stuck with it. Perils of the job.

same thing happens with players retiring out of the blue in the SHL - just ask Tanner.[/b]

Perils of the job is right and I don't have to ask, there is a reason Cody Black gets handcuffed to the bedpost every night.

<!--QuoteBegin-ArGarBarGar@Mar 21 2016, 08:53 PM
The instability is part of the fun of being a GM in the SMJHL.

Drafting a player who is active provides almost immediate rewards, both in the LR and on the team. Then you get to see them get drafted (hopefully higher than when you drafted them) and they either flee the nest or come back even better than ever.

Then you get to do it all over again the next year. Loved being an SMJHL GM.
[/quote]

It's fun sure, though for someone who doesn't like bare balls to the wind, it's a bit frustrating. I like having my plans laid out before me and having a backup plan incase that doesn't work out. SMJHL GMing, you get to have neither, makes me feel uneasy leaving things to chance.

I completely agree getting new actives in the LR is an amazing experience, having players get to know each other or in the case of Deezy and myself, share our first LR together in 20+ seasons, it is easily the best part of this job and draft night, I like forward to the most.

Prior to last seasons draft, as I am sure many are aware, PGF wasn't the most hustling place, in two short seasons with the picks we have made it is as lively as I have seen it, a nice mix of old and new blood and a commaderie I am quite proud of. Another good draft or two and we should have a roster comparable to what Montreal has this season, or Colorado last season.

Should. :(

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Mar 21 2016, 06:48 PM

It is what it is, a player gets called up out of the blue (like after you traded a first and a second to get him and another player), you're kind of just stuck with it.

;Wink

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Mac@Mar 21 2016, 06:27 PM

Perils of the job is right and I don't have to ask, there is a reason Cody Black gets handcuffed to the bedpost every night.

:o

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@Mar 21 2016, 10:11 PM

:o

Shit, you weren't supposed to see that. You're not supposed to know anything after we give you the shot.

All 350 TPE inactives sent down to Colorado thx.