Create Account

S28 PT #2 - Rookie Blues

There is no graphics option for this PT.

[The Setup]
Being a rookie can be tough--learning to fit in on a new team, finding your way around a new city, not to mention adjusting to the standards and expectations of a new league. Having the support and encouragement of your new teammates can make all the difference.

Time for some team bonding!

[Your Task]
Reach out to your veteran teammates/alumni in the locker room. In the interest of getting to know them, ask them at least two questions--one personal, and one about the site. Post your questions and their answers here.

[Gain]
1 capped TPE for each teammate you interview for a total of 5 possible capped TPE.
You may not interview other rookies for this PT.

Remember, the PT cap for the season is 30.
Only S28 SMJHL Rookies are eligible for this PT.
Claims will go in the global claim thread.

[Deadline]
Mar 26th, 11:59 PM EST

1. CRUTCHFIELD

Where do you live?

I live in Alberta, Canada.

What is your favourite thing about the website?

Honestly, it's just coming on to shoot the shit with the guys in the locker room and along the boards. Good people on here so it's nice to be around.

2. bbsnood

What is your favourite TV show that you currently watch?

Last Week Tonight is the only show I really watch

If you could relocate one team which would it be and to where?

Humm... honestly Portland. The team has no history, now it's been sent through a complete rebuild. Admirals is a name used by multiple ahl teams. Admittedly their look is cool (logo + colours) but yah I'd move them.
I'd move them to... Chicago. Great sports city. Keep the colours though

3. TML99

Do you have a job, if so what do you do?

Yes I do, I'm a junior designer/3D drafter at a engineering firm

What is one thing you would like to see improved about this website?

Recruitment, we need to bring in as many new faces each season as humanly possible

4. Allen

What would be your dream career?

Growing up in Buffalo I was always enamored by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. His work on the Martin/Barton houses, Graycliffe, and the Larkin building (RIP) were always some of the most interesting things about the city. If I had to choose a dream career it would have to be architect, with the idea that I could even come remotely close to achieving some of the marvels that he has.

What have you seen improve on this website lately?

That's a good question. I think the communication between the commissioners, GM's, and players has gotten a lot better. Since the implementation of the new update scale there has been absolute transparency by all of those involved. Before, it felt as if everything was tight-lipped and done by candlelight behind closed doors. It's refreshing to see such openness about decisions now.

5. Cuffy

What is your favourite genre of music?

Country

What is one idea you have to help keep new players active?

I honestly feel the league is doing a great job right now! But id like to see shorter offseasons even if this seasons past offseason was shorter then usual

Falcons Canada

wzjang

#1 What is your favorite lawn game?(Cornhole, Lawn darts, Bocci ball, Horseshoes, etc.)
Spikeball

#2 What's your favorite part of the SHL?
The ability to watch the growth of your player

---

Panda

#1 What's your favorite NHL team?
My favorite NHL team is the Boston Bruins. Being from the Boston area, there is no doubt that I am a Bruins fan. Cam Neely was my favorite player growing up. Now, I am a pretty big Bergeron and Jimmy Hayes fan.

#2 What has been your favorite part of the SHL, so far?
The locker room and the friendships you make based on the SHL. It is funny how I talk to a couple guys like Green all the time on FB which grew from the SHL. There is a lot of good sports talk as well. The sim is just icing on the cake. I like everything outside of the sim.

---

jepox

#1 What was your first sports memory, as a child?

#2 Who has been your favorite non-teammate, in the SHL?

#1. My friend's dad working for the Saskatoon Blades, and him getting my team a chance to practice with Brayden Holtby.

#2. Probably Bojo.

---

The_Mazais

#1 What are your real-life hobbies, aside from SHL?
My real life hobies? I love to play and watch football, european football. I played it since the time I remember myself. When I started to go to school I played it with big boys. I was smaller, slower and so on, but now when me and couple of my friends have team I am one of the best players in team. I play as a goalkeeper. In my oppinion nothing is like saving your net final or saving a penalty shot.

#2 What do you think the SHL can improve on? My only problem in league is that I can't stand a PBP. I really hate em, it is too muchof a useless posts and a waste of time. Also I know that other people love them, so nothing will change because of me.

---

bukss_a

#1 What's your favorite hockey brand?
I dont know much hockey brands and i dont have favorite. The most seen is CCM, i gues.

#2 If you could rename any team in the SHL, which one would you rename, and what would be their new name?
It would be Jets, i would relocat them and call Brooklyn BobCats

Hey All,

I asked the same question of all my 5 veterans to see how diverse everyone was and get to know them a little better.

TML99

#1 - Do you have a Pet, if so, what is it?

TML99 - Yes I do, I have a chocolate lab named Jasper Smile

#2 - Which is your favorite not SHL/SMJHL related thread on the site?

TML99 - Probably rap/hip hop thread or the what are you listening to thread you can always find some dope track in there

CRUTCHFIELD

CRUTCHFIELD - I do, I have a little shi tzu named Lucky, he's the best.

CRUTCHFIELD - Easily the snood thread that is around the site.

bbsnood

bbsnood - Nope! Can barely take care of myself :D

bbsnood - Renegades No Shave November was one of my favorites
Deener donated a bunch to charity!

Allen

Allen - I do, actually. I own a dog that is a pure bred, AKC certified, Cairn Terrier, like Toto from the Wizard of Oz. His full name is Onyx James Morrison and he's the best dog I could have asked for.

Allen - My favorite non-SHL/SMJHL related thread on the site would have to be the snood thread in the trash can. Lots of laughs and good times were had in that thread and I look back on those memories fondly.

Cuffy

Cuffy - I have a Puppy named Giesel and he is a Standard Poodle

Cuffy - The WWE General discussion thread is alright i guess

Thanks to all the veterans that helped!

rookie me's?

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

LTH

1. If you could play any position or style, on the site or in real life, what would it be?

I'd be a hybrid goalie as I would love to stonewall Luke Fleming in the SHL one day.

2. If you could change the logo or location of any team in the league, which one would it be, to where or what, and why?

And I'd move Prince George to Philly because Philadelphia would make more sense as a marketing stand point as it's the largest market without a team. Loyal fan base there and it's a no brainier.
Firebirds have little to no history in Prince George as they moved back recently from Regina. So a move to the East and realigning the conference would be a great refresh for the SMJHL.

----------

Panda

1. If you could play any position or style, on the site or in real life, what would it be?

Goalie, I would definitely be a goalie. I just really wanted to make a goalie who was good, not like my last scrub goalie which no one remembers. Goalie just seems like a fun time. I did defense and now forward, so all there is left is goaltender.

2. If you could change the logo or location of any team in the league, which one would it be, to where or what, and why?

I would change The St. Louis Scarecrows, albeit, I do like their logo, to the Washington Patriots. I really like the old logo and bring a past team back. I like DC and want a team there. Washington Patriots, please come back.

My five responses are in! Thank you again to everyone who helped me out :-x

Quote:Personal: Outside of anything hockey-related, what do you like to do for fun off-site?

lil: I like to bake and sew. I'm basically a 23yo grandma with a hockey addiction.

Rich: SHL is really the only hockey-related thing I do. I like to go to the movies. I really like going at odd hours during the week, so I can enjoy movies in a mostly empty theater. I almost never go to movies on opening weekends, or the normal Friday or Saturday night. I like a Wednesday, early afternoon movie.

ej27: I'm a big reader, I like to travel, I'm obsessed with my dog. I like bad reality competition TV--can't wait for Big Brother to come back.

Jedi: Aside from video games, playing and watching soccer is a passion of mine. Huge, huge fan.

Jenny: IIII like to read music blogs! Mostly album reviews of weird indie shit that i listen to and go ?????, but also EDM is my fave.

Quote:League-related: What's one piece of advice/nugget of wisdom you have as a veteran that you wish you'd known coming in as a rookie?

lil: That it's not all about TPE! I was like 6th or 7th in my draft class on pure TPE, but I went second overall because people felt like I had a good attitude and would fit in well on their team. Both you and the team drafting you want to find a good fit, you know?

Rich: Don't be a power forward if you're going to be a center? I just really wish I had more insight into how the sim worked before I chose my player type. I think my advice would be to ask for some advice before creating your player. That's a tough thing, since creating your player is really the first step in joining the site. I'm sure people would be willing to help, and it might help you to make the best player type and position choice to get a player that does what you want on the ice.

ej27: I wish I'd paid a little bit more attention to where to put my TPE in the beginning. I ended up putting some of it in pretty useless places and had to pay to redistribute.

Jedi: I feel like I approached it the right way. Regardless; my advice would be to have a lot of patience. This isn't something super fast paced and a lot of the league revolves around other peoples' schedules so it's really out of your control. Sit back, relax, do your PTs and training, and have fun with your teammates.

It's often said by many other members, but I'll say it as well; I came for the hockey, and stayed for the friends I've made. I really couldn't give a rats ass how well my player is so long as I'm having fun with my buds, and I hope that's something that every newb gets to take part in.

Jenny: I'm still pretty new, but what springs to mind is that I wish I'd known just what a really active locker room looks like!

LTH
1.) What type of music do you listen to the most?
I listen to a majority of different music. Some days I'm in a 90s alternative mood, others a 90s gangster rap, or more recently hardcore rap. So it varies. When in getting pumped before a game, I jam out to death metal. So I'm all sorts of scattered in the music category.

2.) What is, in your experience, the most enjoyable part of the league?
The most enjoyable part of SHL is when I made my GTA vlog videos.
They were so fun to make and listening to the feedback I got and how much most members enjoyed it is awesome.
Other than that I'd have to say an active locker room is the best part of SHL.

Panda
1.) What is your favourite pastime?
Soccer is my favorite pastime, please spell favorite right. I am a huge soccer guy whether it is playing or watching. I am a big Tottenham fan, so there is that. I also run a Dek hockey league in Massachusetts, so that takes up a lot of my time. So either one of those would be something that I would consider a favorite pastime.

2.) Which locker rooms have been your favourite in the SHL?
Edmonton was my favorite locker room. I really enjoy the Falcons one now, but I really think my Haan days of Edmonton with JY, Jaytee, Tez, Jme, Carl, and company was my favorite. I feel like I am missing people, but it's okay. I had so much fun in the Chatzy and definitely was my favorite.

The_Mazais
1.) Do you follow other sports besides hockey?
To be honest, I follow only NHL, Olympic hockey, and WC. I am pretty much dumb ass about hockey. I like to watch it though. I follow football a lot. I know a lot about it. I would say that I know twice as much about football than hockey.

2.) How did you get involved in the league?
About league I find out from a guy who created LSHL and that guy is Lauris Prikulis. I find out about shl but I waited for some time to sign up and when I finally did it, I had no idea that I will met so many amazing people like, Esa, fun fact, I and Esa Registered in the same day. I love every minute I have spent in here and I don't want to leave.

JayWhy
1.) What would you consider your favourite sport and why? Whose your favourite team?

The obvious hockey, Colorado Avalanche.

2.) What aspect of the league do you think might be most confusing for rookies?

The affect of earning money. How that helps you build your player and all. Like, I don't know that they understand how much it matters to write articles.

Buster
1.) What are some of your hobbies?

I've always been really big on collecting coins. There is something about spending money to get less money and never spending that money that really interests me. Sorta reminds me of my training regiment.

2.) What advice do you have for new players?

Continue training and don't give up if things don't go your way to start. It took many years for me to finally break out but I eventually did. I kept training and it worked out in the end. Then when you're really good just stop because who cares

Quote:[b]Mac

1. Favorite pizza toppings?
2. If there is one thing you could change about this league overnight, what would it be?[/b]

1. Well this place near me used to make this delicious pie called Western Ranch, they don't anymore and it makes me sad. It was amazing. Feta cheese, chicken, jalapeño peppers, mushrooms and roasted garlic with ranch sauce drizzled on it. So tasty.
2. PBPS, they were what drew me here and when done well and interesting with lots of people watching, they are some of the best times here. I find too many know the outcome prior to the PBP, for games that are going to get pbpd, two people should see the result. The simmer and the pbp person. GMs verify lines, players, etc are correct but they don't see the actual sim take place.

Quote:[b]Recess

1. Favorite music genre?
2. How long until the lil-brigade takes over the SHL for good?[/b]

1. I'm not big on opera but I'll give pretty much anything a try. I thought about this for a solid few minutes and I don't think I could come up with an actual favourite.
2. How do you know we haven't already? o:-) [Editors note: I, for one, welcome our new lil-brigade overlords!]

Quote:[b]Abdeezy

1. What's your biggest pet peeve?
2. Where do you think Brovalchuk ranks among the SHL all time greats?[/b]

1. Biggest pet peeve is a fork scratching on a plate when u eat.
2. I think Armin is among the top players ever to play, maybe top 5-10.

Quote:[b]HFFO

1. What dish best represents home for you?
2. Do you ever think to yourself: 'Man, I wonder what it's like to have a legitimate star player who plays out his full career until at least regression'?[/b]

1. Hmm, tough question. I'd probably say it'd be french toast however.
2. I miss Perhonen, but not really no. :lol:

Quote:[b]Cynthia

1. Best thing to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon?
2. What's your favorite SHL memory so far?[/b]

1. There are things that a girl has to keep private. ;Wink Honestly though, I like to go play some Civ 5.
2. Probably when I was in a Whaler chatzy and shit hit the fan. D'Amour wanted out, Allen was posting nudes, RaIN and I were chatting about his girlfriend, good times. Good times.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

TML99

Do you have a pet? If so what's his name?

I have a dog named Jasper Smile he is a chocolate lab and the best friend a guy could ask for

What's the best part about this website?

The friendships and relationships made since joining hands down

CRUTCHFIELD

Who is your favorite wrestler of all time?

The Sandman, he was basically the precursor to Stone Cold and wasn't very good in the ring but was extremely captivating.

Just the friendship between players in the locker rooms and shooting the shit al over the site. And shit posting.

ALLEN

What's your dream job?

Growing up in Buffalo I was always enamored by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. His work on the Martin/Barton houses, Graycliffe, and the Larkin building (RIP) were always some of the most interesting things about the city. If I had to choose a dream career it would have to be architect, with the idea that I could even come remotely close to achieving some of the marvels that he has.

Probably the friendships that I've made over my short time here. I've met a lot of great people who have been extremely welcoming. In Vancouver and in Texas I've met a lot of people I'm proud to call my friends. I really wouldn't trade the friendships I've made here for anything in the world. Except for a billion dollars, I would trade them for that :ph34r:

CUFFY

Who is your favorite wrestler?

Jeff hardy

Crows/Renes LR

BBSNOOD

Do you have a dog, if so what's his name?

No dog. Therefore no name.

Being a part of the mother fucking Renegades

[Image: HansSHL.gif]

CRUTCHFIELD

1. What is your favorite food?

Oh man steak and bbq'd asparagus for sure.

2. On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the best, how well do you think the SHL is growing?

6. I think we are seeing growth but we could always improve on recruiting new members

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TML99

1. What is your favorite IRL hockey team in any league(i.e. NHL, OHL, AHL, QMJHL, etc.)?

Toronto Maple Leafs (TML) Wink

2. When the SHL undergoes its next expansion, whenever that may be, which two cities would you like to see get teams?

Chicago & Oakland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allen

1. Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

If I had to choose I would, assuredly, fight 100 duck sized horses. I think I'm pretty good at kicking, and could take a large amount of them out in a timely fashion.

2. What is your favorite thing about this site and community?

My favorite thing about the site has to be the people. Everyone here is pretty cool, even some of the more abrasive members have their moments. Everyone is here to escape reality and immerse themselves in this environment. It's really great to be able to talk with and develop friendships with people all over the country, that you may never have otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bbsnood

1. What genre(s) of music do you enjoy listening to?

I don't really have a genre as much as individual artists.
Though I really like electronic.

2. If you could change *one* thing about this site, what would you change?

History stuff. It would be awesome to have the old indexs back plus update all the team pages + more in depth historical shit in general.
Also add takeaways to the sim and get some advanced stats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cuffy

1. What is your favorite city you've been to?

Orlando

2. If the SMJHL were to expand, which cities would you like to see get teams?

st.johns

Storm

Who's your favorite player on the Devils?

Bobby Farnham, the Wild Thing.

BONUS: Favorite player on the Wild is Mike Yeo.

Which LR was better, S19 Crows or S24 Impact?

S19 Crows, not a knock on the Impact, but that Crows LR was the realest.

Kit

Whats your favorite alcohol?

Everclear, or whatever will get me the drunkest.

When are you going to recreate?

Soon if Tez doesn't fix my contract, or more realistically S35.

ThatDamnWalrus

Who do you think is better, the 2015 Hawks or the 2016 Hawks?

2016. 2015 didn't really have it together all year. There were times I worried they wouldn't make the playoffs. 2016 we have Panarin and Kane playing awesome. And Crawford has shown he's an elite goalie. They are a bit inconsistent but I'm much more confident this year than last year.

Quickly describe your GMing philosophy.

Aggressive, with what I like to call "low rest time." When I see a chance for a cup I go for it, I'm all in. Teams are too scared to pull the trigger or do trades and that's how they end up going 10 seasons without a cup. I take pride in making trades to strengthen the team. If I have a good draft, a team I know I can win with, I set my clock for 3 seasons, and all the trades I make are with the purpose of winning a cup within those 3 seasons.

[Image: eyM9Y3U.png]

[Image: 2gotrRl.png]

bukss_a

Your favourite Latvian city besides Bauska and why?
I will say Liepāja, cause went in university there and the dorm life is great.

How's things going in Portland?
We are 5 active members + two active drafties and we are better than Stampade. So it okey. LR is very active.

WannabeFinn

What par of the world would you like to travel to and why?
I'd like to travel to Finland and Australia. Both of these countries have great people and I'd love to go visit them some day. They also offer quite different environments. The beaches of Australia and Finnish Lapland would be very cool to see.

How's things going in LAP after that huge trade marathon you guys had?
I think LAP is in a really good spot right now. The locker room is very active and our players are looking pretty good after the change to the update scale. I think we'll be a perennial playoff team soon enough.

LatvianBastard

Liepāja, my hometown. Do I need to make any explanations?

Who's your favourite SHL girl and why is it Joggy?
Because she's my bae.

The_Mazais

I go with Riga, because now I am living there and working and so on. In this past half of year i have met so many amazing people where many of them turned in to my friends. I go with that.

Who's your best buddy in Calgary?
It got to Esa. We know each other more than two years now, and all our time we've been together. After I recreated we have talked allmost every day and allmost about everything. So I vo with Esa. Also Peders is good friend I know him for a long time now and he is real team player.

Panda

What part of the world would you like to travel to and why?

England/Netherlands would be the places in the world i would like to go. England for soccer. I am a big soccer guy and definitely need to attend a Tottenham match at some point in my life. I would like to do a lot of that area just siteseeing and everything like that. Netherlands to meet Green and Greebsie. They have been awesome and I still talk to them a lot. I would really enjoy to get over there and meet the little one(s).

How does it feel, to be a SMJHL GM?
It is great. It is a lot of work which sometimes becomes a lot to handle, but overall, it is fun. I like building a team and being part of decisions. I like working with CJ and really talking about random stuff in the LR. It's great.

hewoe
[Image: 0OAAUwi.png]

VBOTTASNOODS

How much of a time commitment is a mangement level job on this site? As a noob I kind of think it would be cool but am scared that the time commitment is to extreme.
It's not necessarily a time commitment in that it takes a long time to get things done, but in order to stay on top of things you have to be following what is happening throughout the day. If your not paying attention, you may miss out on a good player in free agency or on a potential trade that could help your organization. As the general manager, it is your responsibility to make sure that things are running smoothly for your players as well, especially in juniors. People in juniors are likely on their first player and it's important for them to have somebody the can ask questions and that they have an enjoyable experience.

What determines if we can expand the number of teams in the league. It seems like theres plenty of activity. Has there been a recent expansion?
The last expansion was during Season 25. The SHL expanded from 12 teams to 14 and the SMJHL expanded from 6 teams to 8. The league is growing and it was becoming harder and harder for teams to crack an SHL roster. On top of that, SMJHL teams were stacked with send downs to the point that new players were having a hard time getting playing time with a junior team. Currently the league is at a nice balance where teams have some send downs, but there's still room for new players to join a team and earn ice-time with improvement. The Summer drafts will determine if expansion is again a possibility.

Toast

Is getting a job in the league a necessary part of building a future great player? Is there an added player perk or just added responsibilities?

While it is not necessary, it can be very beneficial for a member to get a league job. If they're looking to apply for GM positions in the future, proving they can handle the extra responsibilities would be helpful for future applications. While there are no player perks directly that come from jobs, most jobs do have a pay of some sort. So adding that total onto your contract deposit could help with bigger purchases down the road, such as equipment.

Are there any places that players like me can go to advertise for the league in an attempt to get fresh competitors? What are the common sites we already advertise on?

Most of the sites have been exhausted with recruitment efforts, but I'm sure there are still some places that you could look if you want to bring in new members. Places like Reddit, and popular hockey forums like HFBoards have seen countless SHL ads. If you were to target smaller sites, say dedicated to your city's team, maybe there would be a few willing to sign up from there.

AUMICC83

I think its pretty cool that the site is so far reaching and we have people from different countries that participate. What region of the world are you from?
yeah, its cool. i am from Latvia.

Are there any people on this site that you know on a personal level outside of the site or is everyone a stranger that you've only met through SHL?

actually no. i know some people from other leagues, but no - i don't know any one in real life.

Jaymay

Do you have any tips as far as player builds go for a new guy who has no idea what hes doing?

As for building players, just do what you want to do. Don't have too high expectations or you're going to get disappointed with your performance. Build how you want your player to play, don't listen to anyone else. As you mess around with builds you'll get to learn the sim. Defense is probably the most important stat in the sim though.

Is there an SHL team that your partial to or helped bring to glory already? Seems like a lot of players have their favorites.
As for SHL teams, I've literally played for everyone with my last player and I like a lot of them and hate a bunch of them. It's usually where you first get drafted that you have a unity to. You'll figure it out.

in the moment i have 4 i hope the other one will get here in time

1. ej 27

what is your favorite food

Garlic bread. God, why is bread so good?

what do you like the most in this league

I like getting to meet new people, and I really love the team spirit on both of my teams!

2. lil

is there any difference to be only an player and gmin an smjhl team and if yes which one?

When you're a GM instead of a player, you have to pay attention to a lot more. Instead of just being responsible for earning TPE and staying active in the locker room, you have to make lines, keep the budget and roster balanced, sign free agents, make trades...There are just a lot more moving pieces. And, of course, you have to manage your player, who is (usually) on another team. But it's a lot of fun and it's a privilege to get to do it.
who is you favorite wrestler?

You know, I actually don't watch wrestling, so I'll give my favorite hockey goon because hey, more or less the same thing, right? [Image: wink.png] John Scott is the obvious answer here, but I also love Nick Foligno because he looks like he should be your dad and yet he kicks dudes asses all the time.

3. rich

is there any difference to be only an player and gmin an smjhl team and if yes which one?

I got to do both for Kelowna last season. For me, the biggest difference is probably scouting and the draft. I paid much less attention to the rookies leading up to the draft when I was just a player. I think I liked being just a player more, but I really enjoyed last season when I was doing both.

I don't really know anything about wrestling. I remember watching it when I was quite young, but I never got into it.

4. jedi

Certainly there is a difference. As a player, tuning into sims was much more about how I was doing, how my rivals were doing, rather than how the team was doing.

Of course, this is also pretty much everyone's attitude when they're new to the site, which I was at the time. After just 2 seasons as a player, I took the helm in Kelowna and my focus shifted quite a bit.

I still checked to see how Edmonton was doing, but never really cared about how well my player was doing. I was always so much more interested in seeing how my players in Kelowna, and the team over all, were doing. Your perspective shifts quite a bit.

My favorite wrestler is Chris Jericho.

5. Enigmatic

What do you like on this league the most?

I found out creating a decent hockey player is very secondary on the league. What has me coming back every day is interacting with my teammates in the LR.

What is your favorite food?
BBQ chicken

[Image: P9htSSf.png]
[Image: Sr4Rvg.gif]

#TeamFuhrby
#knightsknation