Create Account

Poll: Yay er nay
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Can a 1st best AHL team beat 30th best NHL team?

Quote:Originally posted by Bursts@May 8 2016, 04:04 PM

Then please explain for clarification's sake.

Probable indicates there is a legitimate likelihood of something happening(see:likely).
Possible indicates there is more than a 0% of something happening.

Just because it is possible for a kid to grow up and play in the NHL does not make it probable.

If you are going based on the term "probability" then yes there is a "probability", but Rice specifically used the term "probable" that indicates a certain probability of something.

Yes, this is semantics.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

I don't see probable anywhere, really, in the initial question. It just says can they. Can as a term is a question of possibility.

I will agree with your distinction between the two terms. However, in this case as a probability (0 probability makes it an impossibility), due to the fact of it being a strict YES/NO question rather than a grey area HOW probable, I feel I'm still correct. Tongue

Had the initial poll asked "is it probable that an AHL team can beat the worst NHL team" I would agree with your reasoning.

Quote:Originally posted by Baelor Swift@May 8 2016, 04:13 PM

argar go home Bursts is right

But talking about this stuff is still fun!!! :D

In any random game, yes. For a million reasons. But in a Best of 7, I'd be surprised to see them win 2. I'd even be surprised to see them win one, but it's absolutely possible.

Some of you guys have never lost all in with pocket aces against a crap hand

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@May 9 2016, 07:13 PM

No because we're #BetterThanBojo

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@May 9 2016, 08:13 PM

Exactly. If the outcome was certain, we'd never challenge anything.

This scenario is also a lot closer than I think you may think it is. I mean, even with the Aces, you're talking about different levels of probability that it will hold up. Against a lower pair, against two straight makers, against two flushed cards, and then against any 2 that could pair. Different levels of threats though. Here, we're still talking about professional hockey players. I'd also say with confidence that I could find a few teams who have at least a few better players in the AHL than on their NHL roster, for development sake, or contract, or what have you. The gap isn't that terribly wide, I'd think, but it depends on the team and why they're bad. Toronto has the potential to be beat by their own farm team, but that's by design.

Not in a series, but absolutely in a game. All it takes is one bad game by a goalie and the AHL team can win.