Create Account

New idea for draft lottery / counter tanking

Quote:Originally posted by FourFour@Aug 28 2016, 10:59 AM
Just have a fun offseason tourney or something
6-team round robin, winner get first overall.

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

To be fair, I think there's a difference between "this season isn't working and we need to blow it up and start over, let's start the rebuild before or on the trade deadline by taking advantage of the fact that good teams will give us high draft picks for players they can use on a cup run", and "this season hasn't started yet and I already know we've got no hope, so lets just fuck with stuff because it'll be funny".

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

No lol

Quote:Originally posted by Deenerys Targa-rene@Aug 28 2016, 04:40 PM

Well technically, only 6 teams miss the playoffs so the lowest you could possibly go is 6th overall.

Second of all, every team should be trying to remain as competitive as possible. If you can't even compete against non-playoff teams, then... well, you should be able to Smile)

We say we like to "protect the worst teams" so they're not heavily disadvantaged but most of the time the teams at the very bottom are not doing anything to help themselves become more competitive, this would give teams an incentive to push to atleast try and make the playoffs every season.

I agree with you that every team should try to be as competitive as possible , but let's take this season for example. Sometimes there are just more potential playoff teams than playoff spots in a conference. This leaves us with something like TOR - NEW this season. In my opinion both teams would be able to get alteast the #2 pick with the teams that they currently have ,in the kind of tourney you proposed ,but then again I am only a rookie scrub.

Sometimes teams just have to "tank" if they are generally at the bottom of the league for Free Agents destinations. Stockpiling draftpicks seems like the best option in that case so that they will get a lot of new promising players which should help your chances of getting some decent FA's in the long run.

My idea would be to have this tourney and have a draft lottery format that is used in the NHL currently. All 6 non playoff team would be in this lottery, but the picks #4 to #6 would be determined by the tourney outcome and the picks #1 to #3 by the draft lottery. This should help offseason activity and decrease the value of tanking quite a bit. Or the tourney will just give you better odds in the draft lottery.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Having a duel process for the draft lottery would be best imo. Assign points based on overall ranking of the non playoff teams with the worst overall team having the most. Then run the proposed tournament. Then the results on that give you certain points. Then combine the point systems together to determine draft order

[Image: ZLoVQGU.png]
[Image: M02LOrx.png]

- Profile Page - Update Page -

Quote:Originally posted by Hoovuh@Aug 28 2016, 08:38 AM
Having a duel process for the draft lottery would be best imo. Assign points based on overall ranking of the non playoff teams with the worst overall team having the most. Then run the proposed tournament. Then the results on that give you certain points. Then combine the point systems together to determine draft order
Not bad actually

Like 13 points to last place to start, all the way down to 1 point for the best non playoff team

Then a tournament where winner gets something like 6 points for first and 3 for second to raise their odds

04-14-2020, 09:49 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: 28 is old you fucking moron

Initially I like the idea of a tournament like this, but what happens when a team has traded away their first round pick which ends up being a lottery pick? They can just tank their lines to make that pick 6th overall.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Aug 28 2016, 11:01 AM
Initially I like the idea of a tournament like this, but what happens when a team has traded away their first round pick which ends up being a lottery pick? They can just tank their lines to make that pick 6th overall.

Let the team that traded for the pick compete.

Even in the event of 2 picks that are the same team, just put the one team in as 2 different teams with the same roster and let them duke it out.

Any kind of tournament for the teams who did not make the playoffs would be awesome. Even starting with something simple, like giving cash rewards on the first tournament would be fine.

Then after working on the details about draft lottery pick tournament thing, the league could move to that.

But for the love of god, can we start having something else than just the championship week?

let us run it like real nhl

we have 1st ova, 2nd ova & 3rd ova as lottery pick

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

No. This is a bad idea.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

just gimme something to do in LA ffs these offseasons suck

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Aug 28 2016, 12:14 PM

Let the team that traded for the pick compete.

Even in the event of 2 picks that are the same team, just put the one team in as 2 different teams with the same roster and let them duke it out.

So let's say the Dragon's have Hamilton's pick. You're going to replace the league's 14th place team with the league's 1st?

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

ignore this pls.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Aug 28 2016, 11:32 AM

So let's say the Dragon's have Hamilton's pick. You're going to replace the league's 14th place team with the league's 1st?

Yeah, sure thing. It's their pick, they have the right to fight for its place in the order, just like everyone else. To let another team tank and give them awful positioning is bullshit. The worst team gave them that pick anyways, how different is it to have them trade picks and the Dragons get high positioning anyways without a tournament?