Create Account

S30 Championship Week

TASK ONE
Write a blog post about any post season game of S30. Can be a game preview, a recap, something silly like a review of what colour laces a player is wearing. Must be 150 words

Before game one of the matchup between the West Kendall Platoon and the New England Wolfpack let's take a look at some of the food being sold here at the stadium in Miami. Slappy McDoodle's personal favorite, oxtail stew with red beans and yellow rice is being dished out at Mama Rodriguez's Casa on the concourse level. Everybody loves Mama Rodriguez and her flavorful Spanish cuisine. Delicious Cuban sandwiches are to be had at every food stand along with the hot dogs and hamburgers. Star defenseman Kurt Wagner insisted that a German sausage counter be opened up close to the locker room entrance so he could duck out and grab a wurst between periods. Bojo Biscuit, Carolina redneck that he is, has the various roadkill around the stadium gathered up and grilled on a special grill that no one else uses. Altogether the various cuisines and specialties available in West Kendall include something for everyone.

TASK THREE
Who is your MVP candidate for these playoffs and why? Must be 150 words and have 3 stats minimum.

TASK FIVE
Write 200 words on any series match up and what you think will happen, what actually happened or what should have happened.

TASK EIGHT
Take one Cup finalist and talk about how they made the playoffs (free agent signings, trades, outstanding rookies, a career season from someone). Must be 200 words

BONUS: Who scores the cup winning goal?

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

TASK ONE
Write a blog post about any post season game of S30. Can be a game preview, a recap, something silly like a review of what colour laces a player is wearing. Must be 150 words

Austin, Texas – The Renegades and Blizzard have traded the first four games of this series, that has been all to familiar the past few seasons. Each team dropping 1 game of their home ice advantage, going into game 5 of this series it looked like we were going to get a classic. This is the time that the veteran leadership of the Blizzard began to show it’s ugly face as they flat out dominated the PbP (snooze) level games against a young Texas Renegade team. Once again knocking the Renegades from playoff contention. We were able to catch up with former Renegades defenseman Patrick Brumm for his outlook on consistent struggles with Edmonton.

“This series had a different feel, I really thought this time we were going to be in the second round. Edmonton has a veteran, and very talented team , but I feel like we were out playing them the first four games of the series. We just couldn’t continue what we had going early down the stretch. While I’m no longer in Texas they’ll be a team to watch for seasons to come.”

TASK FIVE
Write 200 words on any series match up and what you think will happen, what actually happened or what should have happened.
Texas Renegades vs Edmonton Blizzard

The Blizzard have made a mockery out of eliminating the Renegades in recent years, and this year was no different. While the Renegades did come out looking very potent in the first 4, they couldn’t keep up with the pedigree, and playoff experience of the Edmonton Blizzard. Led by a future hall of famer goalie in Aittokallio the Blizzard proved they have what it takes to win the cup again in S30. The first four games had Edmonton squeaking out two of them in overtime (Hamilton Steelhawk style boyy). Game 5 was a turning point where Edmonton was really able to take it to Texas, and get their first definitive win of the series. Surprisingly though this didn’t deter the young Texas Renegades who came into game 6 not like a team down a game, and face elimination. They looked like a team ready to force a game 7, and win the series on the road. Unfortunately this wasn’t a Disney fairy tale, and Edmonton once again handled them in game 6. Sending the Renegades home packing.

What went wrong – It wasn’t as much as what went wrong, as the Renegades are still missing a few pieces. You aren’t going to get cheap wins against the Edmonton Blizzard one of the most dominant teams in the past seasons. If Texas could of pulled out one of those OT wins they would have had a complete momentum.

TASK EIGHT
Take one Cup finalist and talk about how they made the playoffs (free agent signings, trades, outstanding rookies, a career season from someone). Must be 200 words

The New England Wolfpack have played all their cards right to make the Challenge Cup Finals. They built a solid team by picking up key players Jakob Tanner, and Patrikov Bure. They also have a TON, I mean a ton of home grown talent. A team that had trouble keeping their drafted talent under previous leadership has shown a strong ability for a team whose slogan was once “Just try”. In the regular season they only had 2 PPG players in Bure and Russell, they rest weren’t even close. This is a team that has come together late to make a deep playoff drive.
Jakob Tanner is the lynch pin of this team as he showed so often in Hamilton the team lives or dies with him. With Aittokallio on the way out, he may become the premier goal tender in the SHL. With several cups, and challenge cup appearances already under his belt he is no stranger to the spotlight. It is no surprise to see a team with Tanner between the pipes in the SHL finals.
Patrikov Bure has been the breakout player as he scored 60 in regular season helping to spring the Wolfpack into the playoffs. While he has struggled a little in these playoff the rest of the pack has picked up their game to help make this drive.

Theo Kane

TASK TWO
[Image: GcWiTrS.png]

TASK THREE
Who is your MVP candidate for these playoffs and why? Must be 150 words and have 3 stats minimum.

TASK FOUR
[Image: 4vQz3Wk.png]

TASK FIVE

TASK SIX
Make the Championship banner that goes across the top of the site, must include the team name, logo and at least one render

TASK SEVEN
[Image: jooLoM8.jpg?1]

TASK EIGHT

BONUS: Who scores the cup winning goal? Chico Salmon

TASK ONE
Last night’s game between the West Kendall Platoon and the Manhattan Rage was a great time. Not only did West Kendall win, but they also had a throwback night. They started with the 60’s, all of the ice-girls wore bell bottoms, and the promo guys had John Lennon sunglasses. During breaks in the action, the fans rocked out to the sounds of the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and Motown. The second period switched to the 70’s, with classic rock filling the air. The third period was the 80s, with bleached denim and big hair all over the arena. Fans got to let their animal side out and headbang, but also got to indulge their inner nerd with synth-y classics like “She Blinded Me with Science.” With seconds to go in the 3rd, the announcer said “I hope that you don’t mind, but we’re gonna jump ahead to the 90s for Manhattan’s benefit.” What followed were the iconic lines from Semisonic: “Closing time, you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”
Code:
173 words

TASK FOUR
Create a game ticket for any playoff game in S30. Must include the home team's logo.

[Image: WKPTixaeb8.jpg]

TASK FIVE

The Eastern Conference Finals of the S30 Challenge Cup were completely baffling. The New England Wolfpack, who had already snuck past Minnesota met up against the West Kendall Platoon, one of the deepest teams in the league. The amount of talent in West Kendall is staggering, but the team appears to be cursed. New England is certainly a talented team but their 4-2 defeat of the Platoon seems incongruous. At the same time, it’s probably safe to say that the Platoon have a problem with under-performing, as they were not able to finish first in the conference for two straight seasons, despite being the most hard working, and developed, team.

If we look at the individual match-ups, we can see what I’m referring to.
NEW F1: Russell (1766) – Sherrill (1111) – Silverwing (809)
WKP F1: Szlerchek (1548) – Wert (1128) – Lloren (1526)

NEW F2: Lundberg (1205) – Makinen (1104) – Bure (1268)
WKP F2: McDoodle (1350) – Pettyfer (1166) – Laflamme (1611)

NEW F3: Talo (660) – Buckner (848) – Jones (698)
WKP F3: Poussey (833) – Linna (823) – Pejonis (988)

NEW D1: Clayton (1378) – Landvik (739)
WKP D1: Biscuit (1718) – Maximova (1231)

NEW D2: Reid (1156) – Morenov (661)
WKP D2: Smirnov (1498) – Wagner (1247)

NEW D3: Winchester (492) – Pomery (649)
WKP D3: Flow (641) – Gibbs (808)

On almost every line, WKP boasts a TPE advantage over their opposite number. This is just further proof that TPE can’t do a great job at predicting who will win a playoff series in the SHL.
Code:
244 Words

TASK SEVEN
Design a Challenge Cup Champions hat or shirt. Must include team logo.

[Image: wildfang-b1f05.jpg]

BONUS: Patrikov Bure

Task 3:
Code:
210 words
While New England Wolfpack are playing amazing team wise, there is no one shocking on their team as of right now but they are all playing great team wise and it's paying off because not everyone is in the spotlight everyone is. Lot's of speculations can come around for Jakob Tanner who is arguably one of the most smartest goalies ever, look at what he has done. He has played in 7 finals already and has around 3-4 rings to go with it. The guy is a genius, he knows what he is doing. When he got traded from Hamilton to NEW everyone thought it wasn't that huge but it is huge now because they are in the finals and they owe it all to Tanner. The numbers are really amazing for him, having 6 wins (looking at the index) in 8 games which means he's doing it quickly and having .916 percentage is outstanding for a player like him and only allowing 2.60 GPA. These are amazing numbers but the thing that outstands me the most is the fact that he came and has coached the team well, like NEW coach is basically Tanner, he knows what to do. He is the soul and heart of that team now.

TASK ONE:
Hey guys, I've been asked by reader jjaybs to give a few thoughts on a post season game in season 30. I could have gone with a pivotal match up, a key moment, or something like that... but instead, I'm taking it another direction- the least significant game of the post season. I gotta tell ya, looking back, this one is a real surprise, because no one would have guessed it- Game 4 of the New England Wolf Pack vs. the Minnesota Chiefs. We're looking at a 1st seed vs. 4 seed here, you'd think it'd be about how the Wolfpack went down with nary a whimper, but it turns out it was all about the Chiefs left asking "howgh"?

What a disgrace for Minnesota... At this point they were down 0-3, having lost 3 straight in OT. When you're losing like that, sure, it's "close" (or that's what we all say anyway)... but you're being out done on a consistent basis, and it isn't going to change. They lost in every way, too: A barn burner featuring 11 goals, defensive struggles with 3 goals. So we marched into game 4, and I'm sure there was a great speech about "backs against the wall" or "do or die!", but we all knew how the series was going to end. Game 4 was just a matter of going through the motions, a formality for NE to move on. The scoreline reflected the futility of the Chiefs... a sad sorry 5-2 loss. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the 5% PP success rate and the 66% PK success rate. This series was never going any other way, and game 4 was the most meaningless contest in the S30 playoffs to date.
Code:
292 words

TASK THREE:
I gotta tell ya, I think MVP award candidates is such a beatnik topic. What does everyone go with? The highest scoring player on the team that wins it all. Maybe some will "go out on a limb" and pick the highest scoring guy on the losing team in the finals (if he's far and away ahead of the top player on the winning team). Maybe, just maybe, the cup winning goal tender will get some looks.

I'm so sick of those picks, I have to go another direction. I'm going with the guy who managed a high level of production per ice team (per given time, not just raw stats). Sometimes, using a metric like that can get thrown off if a guy plays minimal minutes, so I'm looking for someone who's putting up 20+ at the same time. How do those guys work out to being?

Yuri Boyka (TX) P/20: 1.34 min/game: 24.90
Pedro Sarantez (EDM) P/20: 1.23 min/game: 22.86
Friedrich Müller (EDM) P/20: .97 min/game: 24.71
Geoffrey Allen (TX) P/20: .95 min/game: 24.61

It makes sense to see Sarantez and Müller up there... they are both up there for the points lead as a whole with 14 and 12 points respectively. It's surprising to me to see 2 guys on the list on a team which was eliminated in round 1, to be honest- Boyka and Allen managed 10 and 7 points in only 6 games to the 10 for Edmonton. Boyka's numbers are so off the charts in both ice time and production in that time, that he is out front in my mind, despite his team's elimination. You toos the 50.60% faceoff success he's had in the playoffs), and I think he's my pic for MVP. Without Boyka, Texas doesn't even get to the playoffs. They certainly don't push the series to 6 games. He's not from the winning team, but it's clear his value is immense:

Yuri Boyka is Conklin Owen's pick for playoff MVP.
Code:
331 words, Stats: P/20, min/game, points, games, faceoff %

TASK FIVE:
While looking into possible picks for MVP, I ended up digging into the EDM vs. TX. What a series that was. I honestly think that we were seeing finals champion level of play from both teams in that series- there's a reason the winner is where they are today. With the two teams exchanging wins and losses in the first 4 games, and both of Edmonton's wins requiring overtime (to Texas' 2 regulation wins- including a shut out), it really feels like Texas should have been the team to come out on top in that series, maybe in 7 games.

After only surrendering 10 goals in the first 4 games, games 5 and 6 saw Earnest Ciarelli give up 9 goals. At the same time, Brett Broadway gave up 13 goals in the first 4, then tightened things down just enough in the final 2 games of the series, giving up 6. Broadway has gone on to post a .921 save percentage, to Ciarelli's .901 mark in that series. To me, it was that turn of goal tending momentum which decided the series- and has also set Edmonton on the path to the finals. It's quite possible that we'd be seeing a Texas vs. New England final right now if things had continued as they'd been for games 1 through 4 of the series, and it'd been Broadway who'd seen a let down rather than Ciarelli.
Code:
236 words

TASK EIGHT
General Manager Paul Sorenson’s management of the Edmonton Blizzard over the last season has been absolutely key in the run up to the cup finals this season. He’s added talent, and chosen the right time to go with a young contributor over a fading vet, two moves which have had the greatest impact on the season:

The biggest addition has been Dean Colt, who came via a trade from Hamilton. Dean managing one point per game in the regular season for Edmonton (12 goals and 12 assists in 24 games) helped get the Blizz into the dance, and before you get to the finals, you’ve got to get in… Dean was instrumental in that regard. While he hasn’t been quite as clutch in the playoffs (7 points in 10 games is no small feat, however), he’s still been productive, and there’s still hockey games left to be played in which his impact can continue be felt. Truly the right addition at the right time by Sorenson. Of course the real drama in this move is the fact that Dean started his career with the Blizzard’s foes in the finals: The New England Wolfpack. Sure, there’s been a stop in between, but this is a player trying to finish off a team which he first called home in the league, and that shouldn’t be downplayed.

Perhaps the highest risk vs. reward move made by the steely GM was the decision to hand a starting spot to goaltender Brett Broadway, giving the youngster the nod over the wily vet Jakub Aittokallio. Moves like this, when they go wrong, can result in a lot of criticism… but it appears Sorenson got it right, so the reward has been massive. Broadway led the league in the regular season, with a save percentage at .917. That number isn’t a cupcake feat, aided by a staunch defense, either… Broadway saw 29.86 shots per game against him over the course of the year. In the playoffs, his number has only climbed, currently at .921… proving that he’s quite able to rise to the occasion on the biggest of stages.

If Edmonton go on to win, these two moves will be looked back upon as the type of decisions which bring home cups, and will set the bar for other GMs around the league.
Code:
386 words

BONUS:
I've gotta go with Dean Colt, because that'd make for a great story.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

TASK ONE
Game 6 MAN vs WKP. The Platoon have taken a 3-2 lead in the series. The Rage have been expected to fold all season long, but have never given up all season. But they are on the brink of elimination now. In front of their home fans. And for one player, something even more - Magnus Jakobsen announced his pending retirement early in the season. His last regular season showed he still was a great player, finishing top 10 in scoring for the league. This could be his last game in front of the fans who had shared 4 seasons of futility. So what does Jakobsen do? He puts the team on his back and has a performance for the ages! An assist on the first goal, scores the 2nd, assists on the 3rd, as MAN rolls to an exciting 5-3 victory! He has 5 shots and 7 hits in the game, he gave it his all! The game did indeed turn out to be his last in front of the Rage faithful, and it was a touching moment when he was named 2nd star of the game and was greeted to an extended standing ovation by the crowd! Even though they lost the series in Game 7, Jakobsen and the Rage could hold their heads high and know that they did not go down without a fight!

----------------

TASK THREE

----------------

TASK FIVE

-----------------

TASK EIGHT
The story of the New England Wolfpack championship season in S30 is one full of roller coaster emotions and struggles, and triumphing over adversity. They really stumbled out of the gate, and were having an awful first half of the season. With 25 games to go, they were a distant 5th in the East and media talk was already beginning about draft lotteries and rebuilding. The players had not given up on themselves, tho, and a closed-door players-only meeting after a brutal shutout loss to Toronto, they came out determined to show that they were better. They caught on fire the 2nd half, putting together winning streaks of 4 games, then 5 games, then another 4 games - and found themselves climbing out of the cellar. They kept working and working as a team, and found that they had more success playing for each other than they did playing for themselves. Friendship truly is magic! They held on to make the last playoff spot, and as we know, barreled through the playoffs losing only 2 games in 3 rounds, to stand triumphant upon the SHL pedestal! But it all started when they looked each other in the eye, then looked into themselves, and really committed to being a Pack, not a bunch of lone wolves.

------------------

> Raven Silverwing

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies      S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK      Grizzlies
norway                     IIHF TEAM NORWAY                       norway

Reserved

Pick 4

TASK ONE

TASK TWO
Make a graphic matching up a "Player To Watch" on each team in the finals. Must have 3 stats minimum, two player renders and team logos

TASK THREE

TASK FOUR
Create a game ticket for any playoff game in S30. Must include the home team's logo.

TASK FIVE
I think I can clearly talk about what happened in the series between the Edmonton Blizzard and the Calgary Dragons in Round 2. The Dragons took out the Seattle Riot in 7 games, and went on to lose to Edmonton in 5. The Blizzard rode on the ass of goaltender Brett Broadway, who I think had no right putting up such a phenomenal performance that series. You also have to consider the fact that the Calgary Dragons were the best team in the regular season, so for Edmonton to do away with them off a strong performance from Broadway is a surprise to anyone. Then as an addition to that even, is the fact that Edmonton got swept in their next series against the New England Wolfpack. Esa Anrikkanen and Randy Randleman should have had better performances, and so should Hunter Wong have. Hunter was not himself, and could not stay composed to put up .900% saves most of the time. Overall in the post-season, Wong had a .885% save percentage, and a 3.26 goals against average. It's hard to imagine what happened out there on the ice in that series after Calgary's initial 2-1 win, with Randleman scoring 2 goals and Hunter Wong posting a .957 save percentage. Randleman was a whopping -13 overall in the playoffs as well.

Play that series again and I'm telling you, Calgary wins.

TASK SIX

Make the Championship banner that goes across the top of the site, must include the team name, logo and at least one render

TASK SEVEN

TASK EIGHT

BONUS:
Who scores the cup winning goal?
Tim Buckner

[Image: 9d3oxij.png]// [Image: 8xyKeyf.png] [Image: SHLEmoteDragons.png]
[Image: RNCgTPl.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]
[Image: RIXCbNI.png]
[Image: aS7ARv6.png]

Code:
TASK ONE

The Edmonton Blizzard are in the pressure cooker tonight as the Wolfpack have come away with victories in games one and two. With all of the series momentum going the Wolfpack way, Edmonton will really need to step up and shine if they want to stay in the running to lift the Cup.

SERIES STORYLINES

-Changing of the Guarders

Both Edmonton and New England have had significant changes at the goaltender position this season. Edmonton has made the move from the aging veteran Aittokallio to young superstar Brett Broadway, who they hope can shine under the bright lights. New England has brought on Jakob Tanner, last season's McBride winner, in a startling trade with the Hamilton Steelhawks as Ciarelli decided to head out and test free agency, ultimately signing with the Texas Renegades.

-Does defense really win championships?

The Edmonton Blizzard are on-paper a better defensive team, but they've been struggling against New England's deep and high-flying offense. Meanwhile, Tanner has made a ton of big stops in key moments, a one-man boost to his team's PK stats.

-Oh No, OT!

New England has won nearly half of their playoff games late in the third or in overtime. Will the Blizzard be able to make some adjustments to come out hot and ready to score, or are they all fresh powder and no stick?

Code:
BANNER TASK

[Image: U5NUArn.png]

Code:
TASK FIVE

The Wolfpack shocked the hockey world recently with their sweep of Minnesota. Rumors were swirling of foul play and the use of unsanctioned muscular aids and illegal use of training facilities with one of the team's key players, Mainio Makinen, but a full-scale investigation launched immediately after the series conclusion revealed that the rumors were nothing but hot air. With a sizable Polish immigrant community and a winter landscape of thick ice and bitter cold, Minnesota is famous for its cured and salty foods, so maybe this is where the salty allegation sprung from.

If not banned performance-enhancing substances, what was New England's secret to success? Coaches attribute it to a humble locker room and a lot of early patience with line shuffling. "The team took a long time to find a recipe that worked for them," sports columnist B. Logger reports. "You can see it in their regular season performance trends." The Wolfpack struggled at the outset of the season, so much so that they were one of the last few teams to earn their spot, but midway through the chemistry improved and revealed a team with a lot of heart and a willingness to work.

Jasper Clayton, a veteran of the team, son of the new GM, and an emotional leader in the locker room, thinks the answer is a lot simpler: "Friendship is magic." When pressed, Clayton added that the team learned early on that the most important component of a healthy locker room "is not who wins or loses, but who values their friendship enough to work through conflict and disagreements."

New England has conflict? we asked.

"Oh yeah," teammate Mikael Talo agreed. "Every team does. But we're fortunate in that we don't really have any divas or anything. Everyone is a team player, asks for and listens to advice from their coaches. No one is equally patient and level-headed all of the time, but we make sure that as soon as a problem arises, we talk it out and work to fix it."

Code:
TASK EIGHT

One of the key storylines for both teams in the finals this season has been the changing of the guard at the goalie position. For the Wolfpack, it's a net positive: son of former GM Earnest Ciarelli made the call to try his chances in Texas with the Renegades, and while it looked for a while like the Finnish juniors stud Mikke Laukkanen would be the starter, rumors started to swirl that an even bigger wave was being made, one that would shake the foundations of a top-tier team.

And so it came to pass--the legendary veteran Jakob Tanner, with just a few more seasons left in him, parted ways with the Hamilton Steelhawks to chase down a chance at a third career Cup. While the loss of Ciarelli was tough on the locker room, Tanner has stepped in admirably to shine as a leader and mentor--no surprise after holding such a role in Hamilton for so long, but making the initial transition couldn't have been easy.

Today, it looks like it's paid off for both teams. Hamilton has been able to shed two players who don't fit the timing of their current rebuild (coming with Tanner was also Casper Jakobssen, a Swedish rookie with a bright future ahead of him) and weather out the year without him. Meanwhile, the Wolfpack are solving their sudden hole at goaltender with last season's McBride winner and arguably the current best goalie in the league, with Edmonton's Aittokallio retiring and handing the mantle to the younger, less experienced Brett Broadway. Only time will tell if Tanner is elite enough to eliminate some relative weakness at the Wolfpack's defensive line--but with a clean sweep of Minnesota, a gritty victory over West Kendall, and sitting pretty two games atop the Blizzard, the argument could be made that he already has.

Code:

Raven Silverwing

TASK ONE

On Monday, August 29, 2016 the Seattle Riot kicked off their opening night of the S30 playoffs with a trip to hostile Calgary to face the Dragons. This first round matchup was not in favor of the Seattle Riot going into game 1 however they made it a game and at the very least showed they could compete with the powerhouse Dragons. The first period was perfect for Seattle as top offensive talent were able to get the job done early. 49 seconds into the game Tommy Creller finds Seattle’s Urbowicz for the first goal of the game and an early lead for the Riot. Evandrus Jesster followed up suit making the game 2-0 in favor of the Riot after the first period. The second period didn’t hold much action, both teams having their least amount of shots per period in the second. Mostly physical play back and forth with many sloppy passes and inability to execute.The third period the Dragon’s get on the board but ultimately fall short 2-1 to open the playoffs. Seattle fans look back at this game as their opportunity to have carried this advantage back home. Unfortunately they ultimately couldn’t do it, this game serves as the only reminder of what could have been.

TASK THREE

TASK FIVE

TASK EIGHT

BONUS:

[Image: thejesster435.gif]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Jesster - HoF Goalie (S1-S14)
Proud Calgary Dragon Alumni 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragons | Sweden | Raptors

Task #1

Blizzard Make the Finals!
Edmonton have stormed to a 4-1 series win over Calgary with a thrilling 6-4 victory at the Pengrowth Saddledome. Dean Colt and Winston Windsor both had three-point games, but it was empty net goals from Mark Longford and Pedro Sarantez that put the icing on the cake in a frantic final minute.

The Blizzard hit the front in the fifth minute on a powerplay goal from Windsor, but the Dragons replied in kind five minutes later with Bubba Nuck lighting the lamp while Colt sat in the box for high sticking. The former Hamilton forward made amends three minutes later, however, assisting on a go-ahead goal from Chico Salmon.

Edmonton doubled their lead early in the second, with Windsor notching his second goal of the game, series, and postseason. Jamie Hill scored twice in the second period for Calgary, but her goals came either side of a Dean Colt tip-in that left the visitors 4-3 up heading into the final period.

The Dragons hit the post inside the first minute of the third, but had failed to find a way past Broadway by the time Mark Longford's empty net marker looked to have finished the competition with fifty-seven seconds remaining. Twelve seconds after the restart, Esa Anrikkanen had the home side back within one, but Sarantez hit the empty net with just four seconds to go to clinch the Cole Reinhart trophy, and send his side through the finals of the S30 Challenge Cup.
<div align="right">(244 words)</div>

Task #3

Tanner for Playoff MVP
In recent seasons the New England Wolfpack have established a reputation for themselves as a team for the future, one full of promising young talents that just need a key addition or two to make the leap to Challenge Cup contenders. This season they did just that with the addition of star goaltender Jakob Tanner.

New England currently lead favourites Edmonton by three games to zero, and are just one away from an unlikely championship-winning season. Key to their success thus far has been shutting down the Blizzard's dangerous offensive unit, and a large part of that success has been down to Tanner's formidable presence in net. His save percentage of .925 in the post-season so far is remarkable, his .921 across the three games against Edmonton perhaps even more remarkable.

Thus far in the postseason the Irish international has made 423 saves off of 447 shots, surviving 98 of 104 shots versus an Edmonton team that put 179 goals in the regular season. Perhaps the regular season should have been acknowledged as a foreshadowing of things to come: across fifty games the Wolfpack conceded fewer goals than any other team in the league, with Tanner putting up good numbers again behind a talented defensive unit championed by Jasper Clayton and Benjamin Reid. For those wondering, Tanner's playoff stats have thus far superseded his regular season stats. His save percentage is up from .910 to the aforementioned .925, and while his goals against average is up from 2.48 to 2.62, he has let in just two goals per game against the high-scoring Blizzard.
<div align="right">(264 words)</div>

Task #5

Blizzard–Dragons Series Recap
The Edmonton Blizzard stormed to the Cole Reinhart Trophy after four successive wins against Western rivals Calgary. After Game One, however, it would have taken some courage to predict such an outcome. The Dragons took the opening game of the series with a narrow 2-1 victory on home ice, but Edmonton starter Brett Broadway was by far the busier of the two goaltenders. Broadway made thirty-one saves to Hunter Wong's twenty-three as the Blizzard offence struggled to get shots away. Indeed, their only goal was a power play marker from Dean Colt.

Game Two was much of the same, save for the goaltending performances. Broadway was next to invincible, letting up just one goal on thirty-four shots. At the other end of the ice Edmonton had just twenty-two shots, and lit the lamp on five of them. Ivan Koroviev got them off to the perfect start inside the first twenty seconds, before a shortie from Colt doubled the visitors' advantage. Chris Johnson got the Dragons back into it early in the second, but goals from Mark Longford and Theo Kane (the second coming on the power play) put their rivals in a commanding position. All that was left was for JRT to add the cherry with a fifth in the third period, and the Blizzard headed back to Rexall Place with Broadway taking all the plaudits.

If Game Two had been a surprisingly one-sided affair, Game Three was more so. Everyone and their mother must have expected Calgary to make a game of it in the first encounter on Edmonton ice, but it took Pedro Sarantez just five seconds to stamp the home side's authority on proceedings. Jaime Hill tied the score at one midway through the first, but the Blizzard went in at the break up by one, after Adam Abodobe deflected John Matthews' shot past Wong. The Dragons dominated the second period, but all thirteen of their shots were gloved or turned aside by the impressive Broadway. The home side had just six shots throughout the whole period, yet they led 4-1 heading into the final period after goals from Longford and Sarantez. Randleman bagged a shortie for the visitors midway through the third, but Chico Salmon made it 5-2 with a power play marker shortly thereafter, leaving Edmonton ahead in the series.

In Game Four Edmonton finally outshot their opponents, and though Wong made thirty-four saves in the game, he could not prevent the Blizzard edging out their rivals by three goals to two. Pedro Sarantez gave the home side a first period lead before Chris Johnson levelled matters, and the Dragons even took the lead in the second through Michael Burch. Sarantez netted his fourth of the series to leave the score tied at two heading into the final period, and defenceman Friedrich Müller hit a power play winner for Edmonton to leave them one game away from another appearance in the Challenge Cup Final.

The return to the Saddledome for Game Five was a goalfest, with Broadway and Wong combining to save sixty out of sixty-eight shots, and Edmonton picking up two empty-netters in a 6-4 victory to clinch the Cole Reinhart Trophy. Winston Windsor got them on their way with a power play goal early in the first, with Bubba Nuck replying in kind for the hosts. Chico Salmon's second of the series left the Blizzard 2-1 up at the buzzer, and Windsor extended the lead within two minutes of the restart. Hill struck back twice for the Dragons—her first goal being cancelled out a Dean Colt score—and the game remained finely balanced at 4-3 until the final minute of the third period. Longford hit the empty net with fifty-seven seconds remaining, and Esa Anrikkanen restored some hope for the Dragons twelve seconds later. It wasn't to be, however, and Sarantez hit another empty-netter with seconds left on the clock. The Blizzard do love a Challenge Cup Final appearance, but it is always that little bit sweeter when it comes at the direct expense of their Albertan rivals.
<div align="right">(674 words)</div>

Task #8

Sarantez and Broadway Key to Blizzard Run

The Edmonton Blizzard made the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season in S30, once again showing the strength of their current roster. New general manager Paul Sorenson made few additions to the group of players left to him by outgoing GM Cole Reinhart, but the most noteworthy signing was certainly that of Dean Colt from Hamilton. The forward's output doubled after his move to Rexall Place, going from thirteen points in twenty-six games to twenty-four in twenty-four. Perhaps the biggest decision made by Sorenson was the decision to hand a starting spot to goaltender Brett Broadway, giving the youngster preference over outgoing veteran Jakub Aittokallio.

Edmonton have been consistent challengers in recent seasons, and the presence of Aittokallio in net has been a key factor in that. Last seasons acquisition of Pedro Sarantez from the Minnesota Chiefs made them lethal in front of goal, and the flying winger has continued to impress in S30. Sarantez led the team in goals this season with twenty-seven during the regular season, whilst at the other end Broadway led the entire league in save percentage (.917). Only Calgary's Hunter Wong had a better GAA than Broadway's (2.37 vs 2.46), but the youngster did have to contend with more shots over the course of the regular season (29.86 per game vs 27.54).

Elsewhere on the ice, Jackson Rogers-Tanaka continued to show that he is one of the league's leading defencemen, blocking sixty-four shots and racking up fifty-one points on offence. Forwards Ivan Koroviev and Nikolaus Scholz were also key contributors, with the former putting up career high numbers, and the latter rediscovering the form that saw him move to the Blizzard from Portland.
<div align="right">(278 words)</div>

Bonus Task
Answer: That damn poutine-eating colonialist, Patrikov Bure (<a href='index.php?showuser=1630' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-43'>Kevin "Juice" Bieksa</a>).

Quote:Originally posted by Alucard@Sep 14 2016, 01:04 AM
[b]Task #1

Bonus Task
Answer: That damn poutine-eating colonialist, Patrikov Bure (<a href='index.php?showuser=1630' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-43'>Kevin "Juice" Bieksa</a>).[/b]
:-> Colonalist Smile)

All-time New England Wolfpack scorer
[Image: Derisraka.png]
[Image: 38718_s.png]
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png][Image: B4x6AQm.png]
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

TASK ONE

Meltdown Game 4 NEW Vs MIN
A week ago:

The NEW vs MIN was an extremely frustrating series on the Chiefs side. The Wolfpack took game 1 by the slimmest of margins, a 2nd OT winner by Raven Silverwing. Game 2 had also been decided in OT much to the frustration of the Chiefs. Game 3 enraged the chiefs as they had lost for the 3rd time in a row in OT this time by Brandon Pomery. Game four started off well for the Chiefs with the first goal of the game but quickly spiraled out of control as the Wolfpack got 5 straight goals. After the 5th goal, they were down 5-1 and they knew that their season was over. Minnesota wouldn't go down with a fight however. As Nathan Russell celebrated what would the dagger stabbing goal for the Chiefs, some of the Chiefs began to argue with the other players on the Wolfpack, everyone was thinking what would happen next?

The 2nd line for the Wolfpack came out after the goal, Patrikov Bure, Mainio Makinen, Jonathan Lundberg, Jasper Clayton, and Benjamin Reid were on the ice for the Wolfpack. Chernika Bannanov, Lord Pretty Flacko, Alexandersen, Alonso Garbanzo, and Chuck Goody were on the ice for the Chiefs. Banana wins the draw to Alexandersen who skates by but gets hooked by Reid as he falls to the ground. Everything goes downhill from there as Alexandersen slashes Reid on the legs. Jasper Clayton comes to his defense as he starts pushing and shoving Alexandersen and the rest of the team come over to assist. Patrikov Bure ties up Chuck Goody from getting into the fight but Chuck isn't having any of it and cross-checks Bure to try to get into the fight, but Bure retaliates with a quick back elbow to the head! Bure and Goody start pushing and shoving each other for a fight but the linesman break it up as fast as they can. Over at the other side Bannanov and Lundberg drop the mitts as well as Flacko and Makinen. The fights were broken up before they could get any messier as New England's entire 2nd line went into the penalty box while 4 players for the Chiefs went off. The meltdown resulted in 28 minutes of penalty minutes given out and the New England Wolfpack fans cheering for blood.

TASK THREE

The MVP for the playoffs is no doubt Jacob Tanner, goaltender for the New England Wolfpack. Realistically, his only competitor is Nathan Russell who had 19 points in 14 games, which is great don't get me wrong but Jacob Tanner did a lot better. Besides on ice performance, he was great off the ice as well, he provided a calming presence knowing that the goalie in front of you is someone who has been in the finals several times in his career, and as many know Jacob Tanner also was responsible for many of the lines that New England ran during the playoffs. On the ice, Tanner was beyond excellent, in 14 games, Tanner only lost two of them, he kept an impressive 0.929 SV% and a 2.25 GAA. He was among the 3 stars 5 different times through the playoffs as he was a solid brick wall throughout the playoffs, especially holding the lead in the 3rd period. In the finale of the S30 season, Jacob Tanner locked the Edmonton Blizzard out as he shut them out in Game 4 to end the season and the playoffs. What Russell did was amazing, but it takes a whole new type of amazing to only lose 2 games in the playoffs

TASK FIVE

The Edmonton Blizzard and the New England Wolfpack were the finalists in the S30 SHL Playoffs. New England was the underdog in the east as they managed an incredible upset as they swept the Minnesota Chiefs. They were to face the West Kendall Platoon in the 2nd round, the West Kendall did everything they could, and managed to in the end cause New England's 2 sole losses.

Edmonton on the other hand faced the Texas Renegades in the first round, one they were expected to win. They had a couple of slip ups but they managed to beat the Renegades in 6 games after tied at 2-2. The second round was against the Calgary Dragons. Unlike previous years, Edmonton managed to deal with them quickly as they took the Defending champions out in 5 games.

At the end of the day, New England couldn't be stopped. West Kendall put up the best fight but they still couldn't defeat the Wolfpack as they lost decisively in game 6. Edmonton was the best of the West, regular season included but they were unable to register a win against the Wolfpack. In a last ditch effort, they brought in future Hall of Famer Jakub Aittokallio in game 4 to spark up the team, but it seemed like Aittokallio's last game wouldn't be pretty. He lost 5-0 which ends his career. But what if Jakub played the entire series? Well it's simple, we would have lost and i would have cried myself to sleep next to <a href='index.php?showuser=1827' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-62'>Alucard</a> 's Ocelot Babou

TASK EIGHT

The New England Wolfpack made a few moves in the pre-season to set up for their season. Long time goaltender Earnest Ciarelli had left to sign with the Texas Renegades while Free Agent Lundberg had signed with the Wolfpack for depth and faceoffs. Conner O'Reilly, a veteran for many seasons now had been shipped out for Jacob Tanner and Casper Jakobsen who was disgruntled after the new management took over. Jakobsen was sent to the minors as Tanner took over as the new starter for New England. Rookies Mikael Talo and Mia Landvik had also joined the team full time as the New England started out the season.

New England started off weak as they struggled to keep up with the Toronto North Stars and the rest of the East. Around the trade deadline, Jacob Tanner had given new General Manager Rainbow Dash advice on lines, as someone who sees what's going on the ice itself and a 2 time cup champion. Dash took his advice for lines and went with it. One player especially took off after the line change began. Patrikov Bure dragged the Wolfpack by their necks to the playoffs as he went on an incredible last 15 games of the season. During these 15 games, he managed 16 goals in 15 games, for a total of 31 points more than doubling his point totals.

BONUS: The poutine eating colonist apparently: Patrikov Bure Smile)

All-time New England Wolfpack scorer
[Image: Derisraka.png]
[Image: 38718_s.png]
[Image: rW2c4Vz.png][Image: B4x6AQm.png]
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

TASK ONE

Day becomes night; The first rumblings of the storm begin to present themselves in the distance.
Dreams become memories. Children become adults.
You’ve given your whole life to your trade, given your passion, your focus.
Unilaterally.
You’ve trained your mind to be the goaltender of your soul.
To protect your emotions from the onslaught of self-doubt and criticism.
What’s that?
The wind.
It whispers cold, cruel monstrosities.
Deflects them towards your sensibilities.
Nags you, challenges you to question yourself.
Have you accomplished all you wanted?
Was it everything that you’d dreamed it would be?
Would you care to wallow
In your regret?

Get thee behind me, Satan!
I’ve no need for you today!

For better or worse, the end is near.
Not picture perfect.
Not a storybook finish.
But the end, nonetheless.
One last dance for merry Jake.
Game 4, Aitokallio.
Trying to avoid getting swept on his way out.
Cups up to a stellar career.

TASK THREE

Jacob Tanner, goaltender and line-setter for the New England Wolfpack, is the clear cut winner in my opinion to be MVP, and is probably a little annoyed that I misspelled his name right there. According to all of the snark I’ve read, Jekeb’s lines are the ‘only’ reason New England even made the playoffs, so it’s hard to argue his value to the franchise and his contribution to their success, and his goaltending has certainly helped the team en route to a Challenge Cup winning season. Tanner has posted a respectable 12-2-0 record, with a .916 save percentage and 2.63 goal against average with 1 shutout in the series clinching game. Tanner has been named 1st star twice and it could easily be argued that his efforts were paramount to New Englands success. Has played phenomenally thus far in the finals against a very strong West Kendall Platoon, and barring a major catastrophe, should be recognized as Playoff MVP

TASK FOUR

TASK SEVEN

[Image: wlf.png]
I'm submitting this under 'the best I can do' - Seriously.

Placeholder

Cup winning goal: Mainio Makinen Wolfpack

[Image: 57817_s.gif]