Create Account

Proposed change to media payouts

Quote:Originally posted by Phobospwns@Mar 22 2017, 11:43 AM

Weekly article relevant to what's happening in the league right now. MoTW (media of the week).  For example, this week's article could have been a round 2 preview, with our predicted winners, and why.  After the playoffs it could be a write up on the top 5 FAs in your opinion, or which 3 teams "won" free agency.  Draft time?  write an article about what your teams, and those who pick ahead of you, need.

Make a minimum plateau for word count... 750 words, for example.  If you write something relevant, and you hit the word count, you get the "base pay".  There are bonuses on top of that for those who go above and beyond. Say the base is 1 million.

In reference to this, when I joined in December there was something about a double pay for an article about the SMJHL draft, up to 3 (I don't remember exactly it, maybe it was like 3 500 word articles got double?)

It was cool to see as a new guy coming in, people just writing articles and scouting reports about me. It seemed there was always something new when I looked. It felt like it got everyone engaged with the SMJHL, and there was lots of media. I don't know why that didn't happen again for S33 SMJHL draft, but it should absolutely be a seasonal occurence.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Kaisonious@Mar 22 2017, 11:53 AM

Which side of this are you on?
Ur side bb

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Mar 22 2017, 11:00 AM

In reference to this, when I joined in December there was something about a double pay for an article about the SMJHL draft, up to 3 (I don't remember exactly it, maybe it was like 3 500 word articles got double?)

It was cool to see as a new guy coming in, people just writing articles and scouting reports about me. It seemed there was always something new when I looked. It felt like it got everyone engaged with the SMJHL, and there was lots of media. I don't know why that didn't happen again for S33 SMJHL draft, but it should absolutely be a seasonal occurence.
Greater incentive brought in a much greater volume of articles, and probably better content, too. The fact of the matter is, right now, there's just not that great an incentive to get creative, at all, with media. There's also no incentive to make it at all relevant to the league.

A weekly opportunity to gain more than normal on an article which has a league specific aim would do good things for the media section, in my opinion.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Mar 22 2017, 11:57 AM

Then just propose it going the opposite direction instead of quoting someone else saying not to change things.

Everytime HO changes something an angel loses its wings and dies.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Kaisonious@Mar 22 2017, 10:53 AM

Which side of this are you on?

You're in the SMJHL GM office, man, you should be used to Grape arguing for the sake of arguing with no regard to even what he said five minutes ago by now.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans@Mar 22 2017, 09:12 AM

You're in the SMJHL GM office, man, you should be used to Grape arguing for the sake of arguing with no regard to even what he said five minutes ago by now.

Somehow NOGGR slipped my mind and I got played lol

I've always felt the media scale didn't reward quality media, considering I'd have to write twice as much for a week's worth of training than I do for articles with my actual fucking honest to God part-time writing job (usually 500-700 words). It begs for word stretching at best and fluff at worst, and Ive.personally stopped trying to write because it's easier to fluff with my mouth for 60 minutes and I get paid more for it.

I won't lose any sleep if there's not a change, though.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans@Mar 22 2017, 12:12 PM

Or sometimes the things I say or agree to aren't mutually exclusive.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Why can't we have both, though?

If we want meaningful media that won't straight drive away folks due to boredom, why not have the system be something that harshly punishes lazy pressers and truly rewards outstanding work/original work. I don't like the idea of media OTW, that sounds too much like a PT and if we have a PT system, stick to it. Have a pay bump every 1000 words like <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Avakael</a> suggested god knows when ago, kill the stupid pressers, incentivize longer, thoughtful pieces. I'm not against all pressers, just the filler ones.

On a related topic, first gen upcoming SMJHL draftees, check the link out:

http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showt...0&#entry2183302

Quote:Originally posted by Nereus@Mar 22 2017, 06:52 AM

Friendly reminder that your buddy Nereus has been giving bonuses for quality media since <a href='index.php?showuser=807' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-5'>gorlab</a> stepped down from the job.

Okay gbye everyone

This is a good reminder

#GOJETSGO
[Image: pQ2EKtU.png]
S32 SHL Draft No. 1 Overall

[Image: SHLEmoteJets.png]
Max Weber || D#39 || Portland Admirals/Winnipeg Jets ||

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Mar 22 2017, 12:22 PM
On a related topic, first gen upcoming SMJHL draftees, check the link out:

http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showt...0&#entry2183302

This is just a dressed up presser

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Mar 22 2017, 09:19 AM

If we want meaningful media that won't straight drive away folks due to boredom, why not have the system be something that harshly punishes lazy pressers and truly rewards outstanding work/original work. I don't like the idea of media OTW, that sounds too much like a PT and if we have a PT system, stick to it. Have a pay bump every 1000 words like <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Avakael</a> suggested god knows when ago, kill the stupid pressers, incentivize longer, thoughtful pieces. I'm not against all pressers, just the filler ones.

That's ass backwards c. Incentivize good media, no need to punish guys. There are always going to be people who do the bare minimum let's reward the guys who wanna go the extra mile. Writing 20,000 words a season in presser form is an insane amount of work to be able to afford training and equipment. Writing media takes long enough for the money it produces as it is, cut pressers in half and I guarantee we lose some guys who just don't have the extra time to put into the site and be able to compete anymore.

Quote:Originally posted by Eggy216@Mar 22 2017, 10:33 AM

This is just a dressed up presser

It would be if I were taking bullshit questions or something. This is more of a requests opening to new people so they can have their name out there with a projection for their player's development, not just answering dumb shit like generic NHL questions. Nice try though?

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Mar 22 2017, 11:19 AM

"Harshly punishing" and/or "killing" articles that someone is making subjective judgement on is not the way to go. You may see something as a "filler" while the author may not. Dangle the carrot, and you won't have to swing the stick. (or, something like that)

The media style I suggested doesn't even have to be weekly. It could be every 2-3 weeks, or at milestone parts of the season (offseason, mid way point, before finals). The biggest take away, really, is the notion of more of a pass/fail with a reasonably high minimum requirement and a league specific aim rather than a "drone on for longer about whatever the fuck, and you get more money. Rinse and repeat". Oh, and you'd still be able to do the latter, if it's your thing, in my opinion.

More choices, and more rewards > less choices, less rewards, but maybe more rewards.

PS - Kind of funny, to me at least, that you are (or at least were?) a champion of the Post Game Shows, but say a media of the week is too much like a PT. PGSs are mini PTs, lol.

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]