Create Account

First Season Overseas Declan Reilly reflects on S33

Code:
Ready for Grading 1658 Words

<div align="center">[Image: goon-2-liev-schreiber-seann-william-scot...00x400.jpg]</div>
<div align="center">Declan Reilly's pre-game ritual with teammate ahead of S33 SMJHL playoffs</div>

It was late August and Dublin Airport was jam-packed with tourists. Declan Reilly entered the crowded terminal to be greeted by many of his former team mates and coaches.

"I was overwhelmed when I saw them and it made me second guess my choice to play in the SMJHL." Reilly said as he reflected on his departure from Ireland. "But they supported me and knew better than myself that this was the best step for me to take in my career."

Reilly departed Dublin, Ireland and would not return for an extended period of time. The highschool hockey stand out, known for his defensive style combined with great first passes, was headed to Prince George, Canada to play for the Prince George Firebirds in the SMJHL. A league which encompasses teams from all around the United States and Canada and contains many of the most promising talents from all over the world.

Originally Reilly was undrafted to the SMJHL, the draft had already passed before a scout noticed Reilly playing high school hockey in Ireland. The scout apparently noticed Reilly's passing, skating and defense and was in disbelief that they missed such a defensive talent. Ireland hockey has surged over the past years, with many talented players coming from the island.

"Declan grew up watching players such as Bojo Biscuit and Caelan Fearghal on the blue line. These guys are super talented and great role models for all Irish players around. Declan is the next to be a role model for the minor hockey kids." Said the coach of Reilly's highschool hockey team.

When the scout was in Ireland, an article was published in the Dublin Times about Reilly's draft snub. The scout quickly jumped back on a plane and headed back to the SMJHL representatives with this information. Reilly's name trended throughout the league and teams couldn't wait to be allowed to contact him on his availability.

"I remember coming home and my parents were frantically writing down on paper while they both had their ears up to the phone." Declan smiled as he remembered the day that would change his life. "They hung up with one team and showed me all the offers I had received. I couldn't believe that these teams were so excited to be able to add me to their roster."

Reilly found out how valuable he was as a player that day, but staying humble was a true sign of his character. He strongly believed that if he was a better player, he would've caught the eye, just as Caelan Fearghal had when he was drafted 11th overall in S32.

"I played with and against Caelan when we were growing up here in Ireland. The hockey community is relatively small compared to other countries, so we all know each other well."

After debating all the offers from the SMJHL, Reilly had finally settled on a team. The Prince George Firebirds.

"Prince George gave me a great offer and a lot of players reached out to me about joining, including Fearghal. I had narrowed my choice down to three teams, then two teams. All of the offers were incredible but Prince George had been relatively successful the past couple years and I was interested in joining the upward trend. The forward corps had a good few returning players, as well as high draft picks such as Xander Green. Then on defense the team had a All-Star in Fearghal as well as experienced defensemen behind him. In net they also had one of the best goalies in the league in Harris."

When Reilly first landed in Prince George, he was picked up by management and brought to his billet home. His billets were recently retired but had a long history of taking in billets, management believed that putting Reilly in with experienced billets would make an easier time of change for the defenseman.

The first couple practices were hard for Reilly, having to adjust to the higher overall skill level of the players as well as the strength and size. Quickly the defenseman became accustomed to the skill level and the speed, and started to have a bigger impact on the blue line. For the beginning of the season he was started on the second line defense, as well as being used on the penalty kill.

"I got a lot of ice time, and I didn't want to let any of my teammates down so I worked hard and improved my game. My scoring ability is still pretty limited though so power play time may not be in the near future." Reilly laughed as he reflected on his ice time.

The Firebirds went on to have a great season, clinching their conference title over the reigning champions, the Kelowna Knights. As well as finishing second in the league in points, behind the Halifax Raiders. Reilly played in all 50 games for the team, scoring one goal and adding 14 assists for 15 points, and with a plus/minus of 1. Although Reilly may not have done as well as he hoped, he led his team in ice time among rookies with an average of 18.96 minutes per game.

"The coach trusted me from day one and I knew I couldn't let him down." Reilly said "I am thankful for all my ice time over in Ireland to prepare me for this, as my endurance was at a competitive level all season."

When the playoffs rolled around, the Prince George Firebirds were clear contenders for the Four Star Cup, annually awarded to the winners of the playoffs.The team had a first round bye and ended up facing their rival- the Kelowna Knights.

"Going into the series we knew how good the Knights were, they had a solid draft at the beginning of the year adding to their deep roster. They won the last two championships and still have their key players from those rosters."

Reilly and the Prince George Firebirds competed hard, but ended up losing the series in 7 games. Reilly finished with 2 assists in 7 games and was zero in the plus/minus category.

"The series was so back and forth, at the time I believed that this series would be the won to truly determine the winner of the championship. So did everyone else on the team."

The Montreal Militia ended up defeating the Kelowna Knights in 7 games to capture the championship.

"The Militia really surprised me, the trade they made during the season really strengthened their team in all aspects. But the Knights took them to 7 games, that could've easily have been us. I think if we work on what was missing in our series, we can come out on top next year."

Declan returned to Dublin for the summer off-season, working out with his past coaches and teammates. The biggest surprise of the summer came at the S34 SHL entry draft.

<div align="center">With the 21st overall pick in the SHL Entry Draft, the West Kendall Platoon are proud to select... Declan Reilly, from the Prince George Firebirds.</div> <div align="center">Platoon</div>

Declan smiled and laughed as he remembered the moment. "Our pub was on wheels that night, I got a few free pints of Guinness from my friends. I signed a jersey for the owner and he framed it up on the wall right behind the stage, half of the people there didn't really know hockey, I think some people here look for any excuse to party sometimes."

The West Kendall Platoon, located in the United States, is a team that consistently enters the playoffs every year, although they are looking for depth on the back end which they hope Reilly can provide.

"Leafer Rielly is on the [West Kendall] Platoon as well. I just hope they don't mix our names up!"

During this years IIHF Championship, Declan was invited alongside Leafer to play for Team Ireland.

"It was an incredible feeling, that phone call may have been the most important one of the past year. Being asked to represent your country has always been a goal of mine. Not only do I represent the country, but also my family and friends and my past teammates from Ireland. Every hockey player in Ireland looks up to us and cheers us on." Reilly gleemed with honour as he spoke about the call. "To go and play alongside my friends and idols, was a surreal feeling. Also getting to play against the best players in the world was an eye opening experience, some of these players are All-Stars in the SHL, a big step from the SMJHL."

Team Ireland have increased their presence in the world scene over the years, but again failed to make it past the round robin stages. Reilly got 3 assists in 10 games but finished with a -5 rating.

"I could see the skill level difference between myself and the opponents, most of whom are in the SHL. I know what I need to work on and hope that next years IIHF we can get to the Medal Round where anything can happen. I'd like to at least give us a chance"

For the coming year, Reilly is planning on working extra hard to make a bigger impact.

"I got my feet in the water last year, now I have a years worth of experience and know what I have to work on. Consistency is my number one weakness alongside my scoring. I'll be putting more effort in contributing in all aspects of the game."

The S34 SMJHL season will be starting soon and the Prince George Firebirds will look to end the cup drought. Their past draft was a success and the improvement of the first year players such as Reilly is something they need to be able to succeed in the league.

[Image: giphy.mp4]

Platoon Ireland

Cheers

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Let's Go,
Reilly,
Oh!
Ireland

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]